Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

The Warszawa posted:

All undergrads law schools were/are terrible including and especially myself.

See: John Yoo and Alan Dershowitz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

The Warszawa posted:

gently caress law school doping.

If we treated off-label Rx use like doping then most of my undergrad class would have *s on their diplomas.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

a speech for you, warszawa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teJugCECeEo

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Bingo, with the bonus that if your parents are true believers you're making them proud and finally starting to come around

Hahahaha my abuelita has taken my expression of admiration of Marco Rubio as a conversion. It's great because Andy Guzmán 2016.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ReindeerF posted:

Like most of what Whedon does it's watchable and okay and heavily overrated by nerds.

The Mike Patton of television?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Just gonna leave this here...

http://emergency.cdc.gov/han/han00370.asp

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

I suck at med-speak. Is this uh polio 2?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I don't always talk politics with my relatives, but I definitely got a laugh when I mentioned "noted square David Brooks" (he had just written a column about marijuana use.)

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

http://nypost.com/2014/09/26/tapes-showing-meek-oversight-of-goldman-are-about-to-rock-wall-street/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The harvest is starting early in vermont this year

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

This is why, when you work in a highly politicized field, you have your phone record everything and you keep detailed, secure records and backups.

E:

DemeaninDemon posted:

I suck at med-speak. Is this uh polio 2?

Health officials are investigating 9 cases of muscle weakness or paralysis in Colorado children and whether the culprit might be a virus causing severe respiratory illness across the country.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] on Friday [26 Sep 2014] sent doctors an alert about the polio-like cases and said the germ -- enterovirus 68 [EV68, also referred to as EV-D68] -- was detected in 4 out of 8 of the sick children who had a certain medical test. The status of the 9th case is unclear.

The virus can cause paralysis but other germs can, too. Health officials don't know whether the virus caused any of the children's arm and leg weaknesses or whether it's just a germ they coincidentally picked up.

"That's why we want more information," and for doctors to report similar cases, said the CDC's Dr Jane Seward.

The cases occurred within the last 2 months. All 9 children are being treated at Children's Hospital Colorado in Aurora, and most are from the Denver area. A hospital spokeswoman said the patients' families didn't want to talk to the media.

The 9 children had fever and respiratory illness about 2 weeks before developing varying degrees of limb weakness. None seems to have a weak immune system or other conditions that might predispose them to severe illness, but the cases are still being investigated, Seward said. Investigators don't think it's polio -- 8 of the 9 children are up to date on polio vaccinations. It's not known whether the limb weakness or paralysis is temporary or will be long-lasting.

The cases come amid an unusual wave of severe respiratory illness from enterovirus 68. The germ is not new -- it was fist identified in 1962 and has caused clusters of illness before, including in Georgia and Pennsylvania in 2009 and Arizona in 2010. Because it's not routinely tested for, it's possible the bug spread in previous years but was never distinguished from colds caused by other germs.

This year [2014], the virus has gotten more attention because it has been linked to hundreds of severe illnesses. Beginning last month [August 2014], a flood of sick children began to hit hospitals in Kansas City, Missouri, and Chicago -- kids with trouble breathing, some needing oxygen or more extreme care such as a breathing machine. Many -- but not all -- had asthma before the infection.

The CDC has been testing a limited number of specimens from very sick children around the country, and as of Thursday [25 Sep 2014] reported 277 people in 40 states and the District of Columbia with enterovirus 68. So far no deaths have been attributed to the virus, but Seward said 15 still are being investigated.

Health officials know enterovirus can cause paralysis. Published reports count at least 2 people in the US who were paralyzed and were found to have the virus in their spinal fluid. One was a New Hampshire 5-year-old in 2008; details are scant on the 2nd case, a young adult, which happened many years earlier.

Earlier this year [2014], Stanford University researchers said they had identified polio-like illnesses in about 20 California children over about 18 months. 2 tested positive for enterovirus 68. CDC officials say it's still not clear if the virus was a factor in those cases.

Paralysis is a rare complication of enterovirus 68 infection, but with so many more cases of enterovirus being reported this year [2014], it may not be surprising to see that problem, said Dr Larry Wolk, chief medical officer of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

The CDC is asking doctors to report patients 21 or younger who developed limb weakness since [1 Aug 2014] and who have had an MRI exam that showed abnormalities in the nerve tissue in the spinal cord.

Seward said a test that showed the germ in a patient's spinal fluid would be good evidence that the virus was causing paralysis. Unfortunately, lab tests of spinal fluid often fail to identify bugs like enterovirus 68, even if they're present, she added.

[Byline: Mike Stobbe, with Thomas Peipert]

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 28, 2014

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

TAL transcript posted:

Carmen Segarra Even looking at my own meeting minutes, I see the handwriting is like nervous handwriting. It’s like you can tell. He started off by talking about he wanted to give me some mentoring feedback. And then he started talking about the importance of credibility. And he said, you know, credibility at the Fed is about subtleties and about perceptions, as opposed to reality.
Brian Reed Wait he said that?
Carmen Segarra Yes.
Brian Reed What does that even mean?
Carmen Segarra I found it to be completely incredible. For somebody to tell me that credibility is about perception as opposed to reality? I mean, I come from the world of legal and compliance, we deal with hard evidence. It’s like, we don’t deal with, you know, perceptions.
Jake Bernstein What else did he say?
Carmen Segarra It was interesting because he said the Fed takes most seriously those employees which are the most quiet ones. And that it was important essentially that I understand this because otherwise I would be frozen out.
Jake Bernstein Mike Silva would go on to play a big part in Carmen’s tenure at the Fed. We reached out to him several times but he didn’t want to take part in this story, because of the fact that Carmen’s suing, because there’s a regulation that makes the Fed’s dealings with Goldman confidential. So it’s impossible to know his side of this. Though, remember, this isn’t a story about a personnel dispute between Carmen and her superiors. It’s about what she did next and what that reveals about how the New York Fed works.

Carmen says she was so shaken by these incidents –someone telling her she didn’t hear something she knew she heard, another colleague asking to alter minutes that Carmen believed were accurate, and then the Fed’s top guy at Goldman telling her that perceptions are more important than reality –she says it was like reality itself was being questioned at the Fed. She realized she wanted a clear record of what was really happening in case there were ever any disputes about it. So she went to the Spy Store, bought a tiny audio recorder, put it on her keychain, and started switching it on secretly at important meetings.

Oh goodness I hope someone else is going to record their meetings first thing monday morning, what I would give to be a fly on the wall and all.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

tentative8e8op posted:

Oh goodness I hope someone else is going to record their meetings first thing monday morning, what I would give to be a fly on the wall and all.

Oh, there's going to be no trust between anyone at the fed. Well, less so, I mean. It'll be quite the happening and some heads will definitely roll. Anyone who ever met with her is gonna be absolutely locked-out from everything wherever they're at.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Joementum posted:

Also, CCH Pounder was originally going to be the Press Secretary on The West Wing, but they went with Allison Janney at the last minute. I think they made the right choice, because Janney is just great in the role, but it would have been really interesting to see the Pounder version.
Didn't she end up playing the HUD Secretary? I'm going by her image here, I didn't check filmography. "The President's nuts about you. Always has been." The one who has to apologize for calling all Republicans racist and Bartlet is mad that "If the shoe fits" is the best she could do.

Joementum posted:

No, they are probably very boring.
This is the part where I admit thinking that The Tipping Point, however flawed, was an excellent explanation of a phenomenon that everyone sees as obvious in retrospect and never really discussed beforehand. I still think Gladwell is a piece of shill, though, and that most of what he writes is crap. I remember the first time I read his moral hazard article about healthcare reform. Amazing. Anyway, this is my shameful admission. I have once read and supported and still recall somewhat fondly a Gladwell book in spite of having read the many critiques of it. This is the equivalent of remembering The Lexus And The Olive Tree fondly.

tentative8e8op posted:

Yes, please.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a thread on what's going on in Hong Kong?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

ufarn posted:

Is there a thread on what's going on in Hong Kong?

the china thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3466532&pagenumber=166#lastpost

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

The harvest is starting early in vermont this year

Sacrifices must be made.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rep Pete Olsen is getting ready to meat the PM of India.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

The Mike Patton of television?

for that analogy to be true joss whedon would have to have constantly surrounded himself with legitimately talented people who do all the work to produce something of merit

The Warszawa posted:

Btw The Shield is better than the Wire.

lol no but the dialogue did get pretty funny in a stupid way after the sons of anarchy dude took over as head writer/co-showrunner

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Joementum posted:

Rep Pete Olsen is getting ready to meat the PM of India.

Well, I should hope not.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
It's more that I think The Wire is largely overrated and The Shield at least attempted to tackle asset forfeiture.

But yeah Sutter is a waste of loving space.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
that's a fair point

if the shield was on hbo it probably would've been a better show, but the dictates of basic cable forced them into faux-edgy territory way too often and it got silly more often than not

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I hate to bring back fat-shaming chat, but I thought this was funny

quote:

Moscow's Judgy New Park Benches Will Weigh You Whether You Like It or Not

Sorry, outdoors-loving Muscovites: You'll no longer be able to sit in peace on the Russian capital's park benches. In a new proposal that will affect the city's most popular parks, plain old benches are being swapped out for new, judgmental, high-tech scales.

Like a similar campaign in the Netherlands (pictured above), Moscow's new reality checks are sponsored by gyms, who, well, want more weight-obsessed clients. In addition to displaying your weight (in large numbers) on an electronic panel, the benches will feature gym ads and nutrition-related information. Citizens willing to brave the Russian winter for some fresh air will be able to check out the first benches later this year.

Moscow's head of media and advertising, Vladimir Chernikov, said that he is for "everything progressive and interesting." Those pushing the project say many park benches have already been wired with electricity for phone-charging stations, and that the additional cost — at least 50,000 rubles per bench, or $1,300 — will be offset by many eager advertisers.

Fortunately for Americans, the number on the screen will be in kilograms, cutting the raw number down more than half.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

I have a princeling friend whose father works in a provincial office and has input on what documents to forward to Beijing. Standard rule of thumb I use for calculating Chinese GDP rates is to take 6 off any number reported by PRC.

spoiler: he met him on safari in zanzibar

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Guys James Traficant died :(

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

mooyashi posted:

Guys James Traficant died :(

Why are you sad, then?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Badger of Basra posted:

spoiler: he met him on safari in zanzibar

That is a misrepresentation of fact. I was on business. He was returning from safari. We both spoke some swahili and he was going to one of my alma maters.

In other threadchat, anyone at gourmet fest this weekend? Hamburger hop ftw.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ReidRansom posted:

I hate to bring back fat-shaming chat, but I thought this was funny

What happens if more than one person is sitting on the same bench? Do you just have to practice your arithmetic?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

The Warszawa posted:

It's more that I think The Wire is largely overrated and The Shield at least attempted to tackle asset forfeiture.

But yeah Sutter is a waste of loving space.

Miami Vice was all about asset forfeiture.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
can we have a thread that's just utjkju explaining russian internet memes in adorably broken english

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

CoolCab posted:

can we have a thread that's just utjkju explaining russian internet memes in adorably broken english

Can we have an agitprop thread so guys like Mightypeon and utjkju can spout their dreck unabated without anyone else having to read it?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ThirdPartyView posted:

Can we have an agitprop thread so guys like Mightypeon and utjkju can spout their dreck unabated without anyone else having to read it?

Come, now, we don't need a Gulagthread 2014; general life in Russia is hard enough.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

My Imaginary GF posted:

Come, now, we don't need a Gulagthread 2014; general life in Russia is hard enough.

But Mightypeon lives in Germany? :confused:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

ThirdPartyView posted:

German posters all have terrible opinions when it comes to politics. Except for that Randler guy.

So I take it Ukraine thread is melting down again and has thus become worth reading?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ThirdPartyView posted:

East Germany. Its not like hes in Hamburg or Dusseldorf.

E

Randler posted:

German posters all have terrible opinions when it comes to politics. Except for that Randler guy.

So I take it Ukraine thread is melting down again and has thus become worth reading?

East German posters have terrible opinions. West German posters are our friends in the fight against Russo-Fascism.

Ukraine thread is very much worth reading. There were some great hacks with docudumps being translated. Also, EE warthread is more like the ME thread during the arab spring: munitions and opened sourced analysis in the style of brown moses.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 28, 2014

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Randler posted:

You're looking for Majorian's NATO Clancychat thread. A russian poster and MIGF have been trading policy hyperbole for some time now.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Randler posted:

German posters all have terrible opinions when it comes to politics. Except for Especially that Randler guy.

FTFY.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Discendo Vox posted:

You're looking for Majorian's NATO Clancychat thread. A russian poster and MIGF have been trading policy hyperbole for some time now.

I recognize him, he had a gassed "ask me about Ukraine/suffering of the Donbass people" thread in A/T. At the time made me wonder how much they're getting paid to offset the tenbux.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

If I weren't a terrible racist that instantly discards the opinions of non-Germans, this post would have been very hurtful. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Randler posted:

If I weren't a terrible racist that instantly discards the opinions of non-Germans, this post would have been very hurtful. :(

I know who you are... :hitler:

• Locked thread