Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Mine autocorrects hours to hos sometimes, which has almost gotten me in trouble a couple of times maritally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ReindeerF posted:

Mine autocorrects hours to hos sometimes, which has almost gotten me in trouble a couple of times maritally.

Read that as martially, thought you'd pulled a John Oliver.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You know, I warned he and Andy years ago during a Bugle tirade that he'd just cut his travel options by a bit, but he didn't care. Good on him!

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

ReindeerF posted:

You know, I warned he and Andy years ago during a Bugle tirade that he'd just cut his travel options by a bit, but he didn't care. Good on him!

Speaking of, they're off summer break.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
!!!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Which is funny, considering how the Catholic Church feels about the Masons and (probably regionally) vice versa.

Badger of Basra, I think you'll appreciate that my phone autocorrects versa to você.

gosto muito disso.

did you find someone to chat in portuguese with or is it from duolingo?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

I'm really glad I decided not to go to grad school.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

It'll be worth it in 30 years when you need a master's to be a taco bell cashier and I'll be almost 60 and not have to worry about going back to school.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Badger of Basra posted:

gosto muito disso.

did you find someone to chat in portuguese with or is it from duolingo?

Both - some relatives and some corner cousins speak it so I'm practicing with them.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
You'll know you've made it when you can sing PopoZao from start to finish.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I can't tell if Firefly is good

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

euphronius posted:

It's not - hth.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

i think no

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Like most of what Whedon does it's watchable and okay and heavily overrated by nerds.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ReindeerF posted:

Like most of what Whedon does it's watchable and okay and heavily overrated by nerds.

Yeah, I'd say this is a fair assessment. It's alright for what it is, has a few good moments, and is entertaining to watch once.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
It does a good job of separating the archetypes of the Western genre from their complex Civil War roots so no one has to reconcile their roguish heroes being Confederates.

It's okay.

Btw The Shield is better than the Wire.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

ReindeerF posted:

You'll know you've made it when you can sing PopoZao from start to finish.

Y'all motherfuckers need some Zeca in that diet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ur7ne3SWwc

Also, Chico Buarque, who is a real cool cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7JXlmE60r0

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Warszawa posted:

Btw The Shield is better than the Wire.

Nope.

The Forrest Wittaker season of The Shield is really good though. Too bad that Sean hasn't been able to keep a show on air since.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

KoldPT posted:

Y'all motherfuckers need some Zeca in that diet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ur7ne3SWwc

Also, Chico Buarque, who is a real cool cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7JXlmE60r0

some shameless appropriation of brazilian culture by portuguese itp

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Also, CCH Pounder was originally going to be the Press Secretary on The West Wing, but they went with Allison Janney at the last minute. I think they made the right choice, because Janney is just great in the role, but it would have been really interesting to see the Pounder version.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

some shameless appropriation of brazilian culture by portuguese itp

chico buarque is a portuguese man born in the wrong continent

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

Nope.

The Forrest Wittaker season of The Shield is really good though. Too bad that Sean hasn't been able to keep a show on air since.

So is the Glenn Close season.

Also pour one out for Mark Gustafson, booking d-bags in that great precinct in the sky.

Joementum posted:

Also, CCH Pounder was originally going to be the Press Secretary on The West Wing, but they went with Allison Janney at the last minute. I think they made the right choice, because Janney is just great in the role, but it would have been really interesting to see the Pounder version.

This casting change is a) what got TWW poo poo for the lack of diversity in its cast and b) why Dulé Hill was cast as Charlie.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

KoldPT posted:

chico buarque is a portuguese man born in the wrong continent

the portuguese are just brazilians who are mad they got left behind

unrelated: am i a bad person for thinking less of someone when they mention malcolm gladwell positively?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Badger of Basra posted:

unrelated: am i a bad person for thinking less of someone when they mention malcolm gladwell positively?

No, they are probably very boring.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Badger of Basra posted:

the portuguese are just brazilians who are mad they got left behind

Could be worse, could be Thomas Friedman. Though he won't suck in six months.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I think a Tom Friedman fan would at least be an entertaining person to talk to in a way that a Malcolm Gladwell or (much worse in this regard) David Brooks fan (does this exist?) would not be.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't drink. :colbert:

And we know you're not a stoner, so I'm going to guess you like xanax and/or adderall. I mean, you're a law student, so the adderall is a bit of a given.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Joementum posted:

I think a Tom Friedman fan would at least be an entertaining person to talk to in a way that a Malcolm Gladwell or (much worse in this regard) David Brooks fan (does this exist?) would not be.

I played trivia with a Divinity prof. who taught a course using one of Friedman's "Flat" books. He was a really fun guy and took it in stride when I mercilessly mocked him for using it.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Chantilly Say posted:

And we know you're not a stoner, so I'm going to guess you like xanax and/or adderall. I mean, you're a law student, so the adderall is a bit of a given.

gently caress law school doping.

Joementum posted:

I did shots with David Brooks once. That's as close as I'll get to touching MyImaginaryGFs rarified heights.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

the director of my undergrad program was a david brooks fan. one year he gave all the new students a copy of his lovely new (at the time) book, the one about the fake couple. i never understood why, although i think the fact that he had a phd in poetry may be related.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yeah, teaching divinity using Friedman as a text is completely idiotic, but also very interesting.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

speaking of teaching, reminder that yale hired david brooks to teach a class about humility

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Badger of Basra posted:

speaking of teaching, reminder that yale hired david brooks to teach a class about humility

He assigned himself on the syllabus.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

gently caress law school doping.

I did shots with David Brooks once. That's as close as I'll get to touching MyImaginaryGFs rarified heights.

I staffed a dinner with El Presidente and friends.

One time, I got invited to someone's penthouse afterparty following a DGA national meeting.

E:

Also, lots of calltime with sr. Senators. Far, far, far too much to not have PTSD somehow.

E2:

Speaker's Office.
VIP Lady Gaga tickets.
DC Gay Mafia.

The narrative writes itself on how many campaign contributions that can get you.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 28, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Elite schools doing stunt casting is ridiculous, but it should also be understood that he was running an elective seminar for ~20 seniors.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

Elite schools doing stunt casting is ridiculous, but it should also be understood that he was running an elective seminar for ~20 seniors.

Cross-registered grad/prof students could get in too.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

those seniors are bad people and if i could i would give them all swirlies

my undergrad program (the same one with the david brooks fan director) hired an ex-ambassador to teach a class and fired him after one semester because he was awful

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Badger of Basra posted:

those seniors are bad people and if i could i would give them all swirlies

All undergrads were/are terrible including and especially myself.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Everyone wins with those courses: the blowhard (Brooks) gets to expound their "wisdom", the students get to network with the blowhard, and the school gets to raise money of the blowhard's prestige.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Everyone wins with those courses: the blowhard (Brooks) gets to expound their "wisdom", the students get to network with the blowhard, and the school gets to raise money of the blowhard's prestige.

Bingo, with the bonus that if your parents are true believers you're making them proud and finally starting to come around

• Locked thread