Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

NikkolasKing posted:

Exactly. I believe firmly that Adult Goku's heart would pop like a hot potato in a fire if he was hit by the Devilmite Beam. He isn't "pure of heart" any longer.

Pure of heart doesn't necessarily mean good or smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Maybe only Goku likes Krillin.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Some Numbers posted:

Uh, Goku's first death wasn't until Raditz showed up at the beginning of DBZ. Krillin's death in Dragonball was the first death period.

Apart from that Native American Chief guy, but I think he started the story dead.

Oh yeah and all the people Goku murdered.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Prison Warden posted:

Apart from that Native American Chief guy, but I think he started the story dead.

Oh yeah and all the people Goku murdered.

Oh balls, you're right! I forgot about him.

I'm not sure how many people Goku actually killed, but I did also forget that Commander Red gets offed by his second in command.

Krillin's the first main character death.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Some Numbers posted:

Oh balls, you're right! I forgot about him.

I'm not sure how many people Goku actually killed, but I did also forget that Commander Red gets offed by his second in command.

Krillin's the first main character death.

If I recall correctly he basically slaughters the red ribbon army.

The 'goku never kills anyone' thing didn't start til Z

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

facebook jihad posted:

I think it's generally pretty vague, thanks to the comedic nature of DB. When people can fall several kilometers, getting shot, exploded and smashed without any consequences, it's hard to pin point if Goku actually killed the solders or just knocked them out.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

e X posted:

I think it's generally pretty vague, thanks to the comedic nature of DB. When people can fall several kilometers, getting shot, exploded and smashed without any consequences, it's hard to pin point if Goku actually killed the solders or just knocked them out.

I'm pretty sure he killed Adjutant/Commander Black, at least. And he definitely killed Piccolo Sr.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

He killed Piccolo and all of his henchmen except Cymbal. So that's Tambourine, Drum and Piano.

And speaking of Black....I don't recall Goku killing any of the Red Ribbon leaders besides him. Tao killed Blue, Black killed Red, Silver just disappeared, and I can't remember what happened to General White. Oh and Colonel Violet was the best. She just grabbed the moneys and ran. I hear that's all filler but, hey, DB had good filler.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's a bit of a shame, because Black wasn't as bad a person as Red was.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

NikkolasKing posted:

and I can't remember what happened to General White.

#8 Punched the poo poo out of him. I don't know if he died or flew out of orbit.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Team Four Star graphic up to 99%. Think more Abridged hits tomorrow! :neckbeard:

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
The new Abridged is out, just not on the front page yet.

http://teamfourstar.com/video/tfs-abridged-parody-episode-44/

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Good job Krillin, you did it. You beat Cell.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
98.5 The Cell is my favorite station.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Silynt posted:

The new Abridged is out, just not on the front page yet.

http://teamfourstar.com/video/tfs-abridged-parody-episode-44/

That Goku dream joke fell reeeaaalllly flat. Made up for that one with that final scene though, oh man.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

facebook jihad posted:

Well, when he blew Metallitron's head in Muscle Tower and thought he had killed him he got quite distressed and started to pray for forgiveness.

Piccolo and his minions were supposed to be demons so I guess he had no qualms about killing those because of that.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
That was a weird episode. Not in a bad sense though.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Petiso posted:

Well, when he blew Metallitron's head in Muscle Tower and thought he had killed him he got quite distressed and started to pray for forgiveness.

Piccolo and his minions were supposed to be demons so I guess he had no qualms about killing those because of that.

He was pretty convinced he killed Tao Pie Pie for years and didn't care at all.

Terper posted:

That Goku dream joke fell reeeaaalllly flat. Made up for that one with that final scene though, oh man.

I think it was the art. It just looked bad, it usually does when they've tried to do significant alterations like that I think, like the halloween thing years back.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

every moment with cell was great. It looks like he's going to be a great character.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Monaghan posted:

every moment with cell was great. It looks like he's going to be a great character.

Seriously, Cell's fantastic. The "Aww, East City has a panda sanctuary, that's cute." line just about killed me.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

StrifeHira posted:

Seriously, Cell's fantastic. The "Aww, East City has a panda sanctuary, that's cute." line just about killed me.

I lost it at "Where the gently caress AM I?"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cell has always been my favorite Z villain and now I know why. We have identical taste in music.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Hahah pretty great episode.

Is just me or did they just poke fun at Krillin with his whole making a decision that could cost lives. GEE KRILLIN I wonder when that's gonna bite you in the rear end.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was re-watching the first couple Abridged Seasons and that plus this new episode made me realize something.

Is their use of Imperfect Cell's Theme the first dub music they've used? They seem to largely stick with the original Japanese score when they use the official OSTs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

NikkolasKing posted:

I was re-watching the first couple Abridged Seasons and that plus this new episode made me realize something.

Is their use of Imperfect Cell's Theme the first dub music they've used? They seem to largely stick with the original Japanese score when they use the official OSTs.

I'm pretty sure it is and I recall them saying they weren't planning to use the Faulconer score at all, so I guess that changed.

I'm going against the grain: I thought Goku's dream was amazing. Krillin and Trunks were pretty fun together and of course, Cell's rampage was delightfully horrifying. His song choices are a bit too on the nose for me.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Tien was also great in this one. Krillin said what we all were thinking every time he badmouthed Vegeta ("you know he can kill you, right?") and the explanation was just perfect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I always assumed that Tien's badmouthing was just because he had no concern at all about dying. He was the one who gave the 'death is meaningless' rant at the end of the Freeza saga after all.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Cell and Tien were good, the rest of the episode felt like kind of a dud though. Especially the Goku's Dream and the Android's names gag, like I know what they were going for, but it wasn't particularly clever or funny.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Cell and Tien were good, the rest of the episode felt like kind of a dud though. Especially the Goku's Dream and the Android's names gag, like I know what they were going for, but it wasn't particularly clever or funny.

The names were noted by Toryama in a recent interview or something and it did sound like some poo poo he made up on the fly. The son thing I'm pretty sure was bullshit made up for the episode.

Speaking of, I thought we had good Cell when we got "beep" but that last part killed me.

The part where Tien complains about his fantasy team being sent to hell was pretty great too.

Chrysolith
Sep 13, 2008

My least favorite jokes in the series tend to be the ones that deal with the random background characters. It gives teamfourstar more freedom to make jokes, since they don't have to worry about the jokes being "in character" for whoever is making them, but sometimes I think they get a little out of hand and stretch on for too long (the bus driver jokes in today's episode were funny, but could've been a lot shorter). Since Cell's interaction was only with random people in this episode, that was my issue with the episode.

That said, I thought the One Piece and Naruto jokes were funny :shobon:

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Chrysolith posted:

My least favorite jokes in the series tend to be the ones that deal with the random background characters. It gives teamfourstar more freedom to make jokes, since they don't have to worry about the jokes being "in character" for whoever is making them, but sometimes I think they get a little out of hand and stretch on for too long (the bus driver jokes in today's episode were funny, but could've been a lot shorter). Since Cell's interaction was only with random people in this episode, that was my issue with the episode.

That said, I thought the One Piece and Naruto jokes were funny :shobon:

I can forgive it since this part of the series doesn't have much character interaction to base jokes around. Once the action gets going again there will be a lot more mid-fight banter, which the series shines at.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Great episode but MAN is their take on Cell dark. DBZ mostly just glossed over him doing evil things to the point where it was mostly just 'bad guy does bad things'. But this is straight up horror movie Cell. And I love it.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

The names were noted by Toryama in a recent interview or something and it did sound like some poo poo he made up on the fly. The son thing I'm pretty sure was bullshit made up for the episode.

Nope, that was revealed in the very same interview you mention.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Cell has absorbed Crazy Irah and The Douche. :getin:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

ConanThe3rd posted:

The names were noted by Toryama in a recent interview or something and it did sound like some poo poo he made up on the fly.

Like 3/4ths of the entirety of Dragon Ball were made up on the fly by Toriyama. It fits with the series. :v:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
A better line would have been:
"What? I have hobbies."
"No, you have shoulders."

Caros posted:

Great episode but MAN is their take on Cell dark. DBZ mostly just glossed over him doing evil things to the point where it was mostly just 'bad guy does bad things'. But this is straight up horror movie Cell. And I love it.

I remember being REALLY creeped out by original DBZ Cell, but maybe that's just me.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Fantastic episode outside of Goku's dream. Being a fan of only DBZ and no other anime outside of stuff I watched as a kid, I'd wish they'd stick to DBZ related humor instead of trying to pander to general anime fans. That's just me though, I'm probably an anomaly.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
That ending. :magical:

So i think i've asked this before but im a dummy: Dragon Ball, Read it, watch it, or both?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

facebook jihad posted:

Fantastic episode outside of Goku's dream. Being a fan of only DBZ and no other anime outside of stuff I watched as a kid, I'd wish they'd stick to DBZ related humor instead of trying to pander to general anime fans. That's just me though, I'm probably an anomaly.

They're two incredibly popular series in the same genre that crib directly from DBZ all the time, I'd say it's fair to assume some audience overlap.

Thyrork posted:

That ending. :magical:

So i think i've asked this before but im a dummy: Dragon Ball, Read it, watch it, or both?

Definitely read it, also do both because why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

facebook jihad posted:

It is a DBZ joke, the punchline being that Naruto and Luffy are both very derivative of Goku. Which isn't to say they are rip offs exactly, but Dragon Ball Z is one of the most influential manga of all time, and Goku is the archtypical shonen protagonist.

• Locked thread