Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Tank Boy Ken posted:

That's actually pretty interesting: New Arcade Combined Arms mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lxGAyPltTo

That's really good. Steal wholesale from Call of Duty, it works there and it'll work here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chompers
Jun 29, 2006

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The answer to the issues plaguing ground battles is to put players into aircraft instead? :psyduck:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Really bad idea. Any combined arms I play consists of me getting triple-teamed as my teammates fly overhead without bombloads. Arcade was a nice vacation from that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Plan Z posted:

Really bad idea. Any combined arms I play consists of me getting triple-teamed as my teammates fly overhead without bombloads. Arcade was a nice vacation from that.

The only people who can activate this thing are people who've gotten 3 kills already - ie. the one or two people at the top of a match doing all the work anyway.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Alchenar posted:

The only people who can activate this thing are people who've gotten 3 kills already - ie. the one or two people at the top of a match doing all the work anyway.

i.e. you, me, us :goon:

Even if they are cribbing fairly heavily from CoD, it's good to see Gaijin experimenting with the game beyond just mucking about with scoring/flight models. Who knows, maybe eventually they'll even manage to make RB interesting.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So CA will feature killstreaks? Yeah I mean why not. That does sound kinda fancy.

^
And yeah honestly everything that Gaijin does which is a bit of experimenting, non serious, funny things is good.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Man, I still just want an Arcade Mode with its auto-reload and full hangar mixed with Realistic flight models. Also, Bearcat mgs are really nice.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Good luck not wasting all your ammo with one burst.
Seriously tho', keep your finger off the trigger.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I finally broke above BR 5 and I'm now seeing the B-17 carnivals people are talking about. I think I'm going to go back down.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Hope the new Arcade CA is optional. Sometimes I just want to play tank game without plane game.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Gimnbo posted:

I finally broke above BR 5 and I'm now seeing the B-17 carnivals people are talking about. I think I'm going to go back down.

I've had multiple games ruined by people running pure bomber hangars/plane lists in Arcade. They are fun to shoot down in a squad though (chances of being lit on fire are very high). Seriously, if you're running 6 bombers in War Thunder just to climb and press space, find a different game that might actually be fun for you. Now, if you're like me and take your single bomber into enemy furballs while dropping de bombs... :yayclod:

Michaellaneous posted:

Good luck not wasting all your ammo with one burst.
Seriously tho', keep your finger off the trigger.

The reload time is nine seconds though (crew crew crew), but yeah, those 1050 rounds go by real quick.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Oh you are talking about cartoon mode.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Hope the new Arcade CA is optional. Sometimes I just want to play tank game without plane game.

I think it is the new Arcade, hands down. Split it up again and you will be left with no population for either mode.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Michaellaneous posted:

Oh you are talking about cartoon mode.

Yes, sir. I want to be able to select my choice of ammo at least before taking it into Realistic. I suppose I should mix it up and learn its non-ufo flight model earlier rather than later.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Jamfrost posted:

Yes, sir. I want to be able to select my choice of ammo at least before taking it into Realistic. I suppose I should mix it up and learn its non-ufo flight model earlier rather than later.

The Bearcat has late war belts, so there isn't much of a difference between the default belt and others. No ball rounds, just varying amounts of AP, AP-I, I, and API-T.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

You don't HAVE to jump into a plane though, and remember that while they're flying, their tanks are just sitting there for you to kill.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Azran posted:

I think it is the new Arcade, hands down. Split it up again and you will be left with no population for either mode.

I don't think so, specifically because they call it a new 'mode'. It is absolutely the way the tank game should be going, and I'm glad the aircraft of other nations are finally getting to make an appearance in Combined Arms, but sometimes people just wanna play tank game without worrying about planes murdering them from above... And with Arcade reloads, good ground attack planes will be loving brutal.

I'm just imagining how broken it would be if some of the fighter bombers actually got bomber reloads in a mode like this. It would be a thing of beauty. Hose down assholes in the air, blow up some shitlord T-54/Tiger 2, dance all night.

Lee Outrageous
Jul 21, 2006

General

Chompers posted:

The answer to the issues plaguing ground battles is to put players into aircraft instead? :psyduck:

Oh and it gets even better, did you hear that comment at the end of the clip? All tanks get only one spawn no matter what. Tanks had so much promise but it looks like it will end up dead very soon.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Planes don't get respawns in arcade air battles either, so I don't see what the problem is.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Everything getting one spawn isn't the best, but it makes sense. It helps even out the differences between heavies/mediums/tank destroyers. No more of this stupid poo poo where your number of spawns are determined by how heavy your tanks are.

Besides, this doesn't change anything for the best tank in the game. The KV-2 has always had one spawn.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gimnbo posted:

I'm happily sitting at BR 4 on my German and UK crews and loving it.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

B-but my spades.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

So I was bored and decided to try some of the single player missions. It's impossible to shoot down enemy npc using gunners isn't it? As a matter of fact all of the enemy npc seem like damage sponges, even playing with realistic difficulty.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jamfrost posted:

Man, I still just want an Arcade Mode with its auto-reload and full hangar mixed with Realistic flight models. Also, Bearcat mgs are really nice.

You can do this right now with custom servers, you just don't get any points for it~ (also nobody will play it unless you advertise) :v:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Alchenar posted:

I've since realized that if you locked all my planes except the Typhoons I could still happily play for a long time.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Alchenar posted:

It really is the sweet spot for funtimes, and you don't even need to bring an actual BR 4 plane; a certain mlmp dragged me into Fauxkaido in my Spit Ia by :airquote:accidentally:airquote: queuing a Spit IX instead. I assumed I was going to get murdered but ended up burning down a pair of Corsairs in the first five minutes, it was pretty great (PS death to all Corsairs forever :yarr:)

Felony posted:

So I was bored and decided to try some of the single player missions. It's impossible to shoot down enemy npc using gunners isn't it? As a matter of fact all of the enemy npc seem like damage sponges, even playing with realistic difficulty.

Just select unlimited ammo; you'll still get the reward bonus for whatever difficulty you were playing on. This is entirely necessary on some missions, for instance one night mission in Hayabusas where you have to shoot down something like 20 American fighters but you only have four or five respawns and there's no airstrip to reload at. The falcon gets all of 500 rounds across two guns, so unless you're the god of pilot snipes you're really going to want those reloads, realism be damned.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

Just select unlimited ammo; you'll still get the reward bonus for whatever difficulty you were playing on. This is entirely necessary on some missions, for instance one night mission in Hayabusas where you have to shoot down something like 20 American fighters but you only have four or five respawns and there's no airstrip to reload at. The falcon gets all of 500 rounds across two guns, so unless you're the god of pilot snipes you're really going to want those reloads, realism be damned.

I had unlimited ammo and fuel. I did the mission called blitz where you have an ton of hurricanes swarming you. They would get on my tail and I would gun the poo poo out of them. Not a single one of them died from gunner fire. They would take 40-50 bullets before they would decide to just turn around and fly away.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Yeah I'm pretty sure some planes in singleplayer are just set to be invincible and simply can't be shot down. SP is kinda poo poo.

Commandante
Oct 1, 2009

Jesus, why do I keep trying to come to a pubbies aid. It always gets me killed, like, every time.

Each time, it should be a simple set up, but they keep diving away or pulling tight circles and generally making it hard for me to get the person off them.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

When you crash land in the middle of the map but don't technically "die" it's kind of hilarious. Some guy made two strafing runs on my half-Typhoon while I trash-talked him. The scoreboard listed me as still alive and I was spotting enemies for my team.

Tip: don't take the tracer belt on a Typhoon 1a unless you're capable of tracking your target though a thick stream of jizz.

Gimnbo fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 29, 2014

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I once half-crashed in the Il-2 and managed to use the tailgunner and cripple an enemy fighter that was running so a teammate could finish it off. :coal:

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

I will bomb a B-17 by flying right above it. I barely missed one earlier in my B7A2. I think next time I will just load up on small bombs and just rain all 10 of them down on it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Felony posted:

I will bomb a B-17 by flying right above it. I barely missed one earlier in my B7A2. I think next time I will just load up on small bombs and just rain all 10 of them down on it.

I thought that wasn't in the game...

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah no hit detection on anything but bombs + ground.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
The devs expressed some interest in a Japanese white phosphorus air to air bombs in the last question thread so you might be able to one day!

Ha just kidding, they can't loving tweak the game's damage model without breaking their lovely spaghetti code, don't think we're ever seeing bombs or falling torpedos loving up aircraft. :gaijin:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Did you know the dude that made the flight model system quit over 6 months ago.

He created this intricate system that no one else at gaijin know how to work. They just plug numbers in and hope it turns out the way they want.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Is that true or are you ironyposting again

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Wooper posted:

He created this intricate system that no one else at gaijin know how to work. They just plug numbers in and hope it turns out the way they want.
I really want to believe this and that he's the goonier and more bearded of the two guys from the update videos. :allears:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Plot twist: The dude was also responsible for the damage model and who-gets-a-kill systems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Wooper posted:

I imagine their coding process works a lot like Press Your Luck, but with game breaking bugs instead of whammies.

MrLonghair posted:

Plot twist: The dude was also responsible for the damage model and who-gets-a-kill systems

That poo poo has gotten so annoying lately. Why the gently caress did they change it?

• Locked thread