Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Legs are simply dead weight to be ejected at the first opportunity in a match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Splode posted:

My dorfbux :qq:

Anchors posted:

Whelp, I'm broke.

Fortunately, thanks to the new rules introduced for this tournament, you won't be broke when the next round starts! Managers of losing fighters now get 300 extra dorfbucks when the new round starts, bettors without a participating fighter get an extra 400 dorfbucks, and managers of winning fighters get 500 extra dorfbucks!*

*Regarding the rationale behind losing fighters getting fewer bonus dorfbucks than winning fighters, this is because the "Bad Munki" rule was introduced for the current tournament in order to discourage manager/bettors from creating really crappy fighters for the purpose of betting against them.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

my dad posted:

I have an idea for the next tournament.

The arena allows for the use of certain special metals which have nearly identical properties. They're better sharp weapons and armor than steel, but worse than adamantium. This might allow rebalancing of the current setup. They also have really cool names.

I'll take the plutonium warhammer

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Geokinesis posted:

I don't think I've seen an antperson do any good ever, are they just terrible?

Ant Agonist did a swell job holding off multiple opponents last tournament, but she was on a team with Knuckle Dragger. (And I didn't realise she would spawn opposite molemarians, or I would have abandoned the whip gimmick)

Sorry for being terrible in my advice last tournament, Ignite Memories, I should have specified that skills you buy purely for the stat buffs by total skill ranks should be attack skills you can't use due to not having the right weapon equipped. Also, is that still a thing in df2014? I don't even know.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Who knows? Actually the commissioners should be able to tell if they examine the fighters up close, check for bulging muscles and all that.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
^^^ I look at the bulge of every fighter before I start my matches, but I may be misunderstanding the question.

:siren:Test Tournament Fight the Last:siren:

Today we're going to watch teams Menacing Lack of Spikes fight to the death with Grab N' Stab.

On the left side of the arena is Menacing Lack of Spikes composed of EmbodiedPrincipleOfPerfection (henceforth named EPOP) an antwoman managed by
ZeeToo, Tomoe Gozen the human managed by Tarezax, Atom the gremlin by Supradog, and Caffeinequaffer the dwarf by Podima.

On the right side is Grab N' Stab with Little Bastard the gremlin by Testekill,Windy Mole the moleman by pantherrpg, Autoerotic Asphyxiation the strangler (henceforth Autoerotic) by AJ_Impy, and Not Ready Yeti the yeti by Goodchild.

I type these drat things out and don't copy/paste. I'm shortening names that, although funny, suck to type.

The fighters charge across the arena while the dwarf Caffeinequaffer fires and begins reloading. Little Bastard the gremlin dodges the bronze arrow easily.

Autoerotic swings first and boy it's a doozy. His pick slides into Tomoe Gozen's arm and out the other side severing the limb from his body! Tomoe Gozen
finishes his thrust in the same nanosecond and his halbard slides through Windy Mole's armor and cuts deep into the molemans lung. Windy Mole is having
trouble breathing and all it cost the little human was his right arm from the elbow down.

The worlds deadliest strangler (Autoerotic) swings his pick again and this time cuts off Atom's right leg from the knee down! This pisses the gremlin off, but he falls to the floor regardless of his rage. Tomoe Gozen swings his halbard one-handed but does not have the force to penetrate Windy Mole's armor. The lack of his arm means he misses a killing blow by failing to cut through the armor.

Not Ready Yeti punches the downed gremlin in the left hand which shatters into pieces. Atom can no longer hold his shield and is now nearly defenseless.
Autoerotic
swings a pick and takes off Atoms other hand. The Yeti is on the same tile as the gremlin in this screenshot.

Autoerotic is a terrifying gladiator. The next swing of the pick hits Tomoe Gozen in the left arm, causing him to drop his halbard and pass out from the pain. The humans first arm finally lands to the north of the arena. Caffeinequaffer fires a second arrow which narrowly misses Autoerotic.

Simultaneously to the north Little Bastard chops off EPOP's left hand, causing the antwoman to drop her spear. The two fighters are under the hand in the image.

Atom bleeds to death at nearly the same time.

Windy Mole stands there two squares away watching the fight. It's been a little bit of time and he has not moved. The antwoman EPOP disregards the lost hand and uses the spear in the other hand to stab Little Bastard in the torso, shattering the gremlins spine. Little Bastard somehow is not paralyzed by this. Autoerotic casually severs Tomoe Gozen's head after the surgical asskicking he gave out.

In a stunning display of bitemanship Windy Mole charges back into the battle and chomps down so hard on the antwoman EPOP that the entire carapace shatters. EPOP has been struck bitten down.

Right now we have a badly hurt moleman up top and a somehow-not-paralyzed gremlin to the north, Not Ready Yeti in the middle, and Autoerotic the deady strangler middle-left. The only player still alive on team Menacing Lack of Spikes is Caffeinequaffer who I imagine is making GBS threads himself in fear.

I was completely wrong. Caffeinequaffer is not afraid. In a flash of greatness he lets the power of Armok flow through him. It's really too bad that Armoks greatest killing machine is 8 steps away. Autoerotic leads the charge.

Caffeinequaffer fires an arrow at the strangler in the lead and the bolt strikes him in the leg! The bone is chipped, Autoerotic falls over but continues to crawl toward the dwarf.

Atoms hand lands and confuses the poo poo out of me. I could not figure out where that hand came from. That was the hand that Autoerotic cut off of Atom 64 lines of combat ago.

Caffeinquaffer dodges north while reloading, making Windy Mole and Not Ready Yeti collide with each other and fall down. The archer finishes reloading and fires point blank, striking Not Ready Yeti in the upper arm, chipping bone and sending the yeti to the ground unconscious.

Caffeinequaffer is much faster than the opponents. Little Bastard is the quickest, Windy Mole next, and Autoerotic with one working leg is not even moving anymore.

In a display of huge balls the archer dodges back past the enemies. Caffeinequaffer trips over said balls and Windy Mole takes advantage. The moleman shows off impressive jaw strength for a second time and latches onto the archers leg. The molemans jaws clench and he shakes the dwarf around like a ragdoll. Caffeinequaffer passes out immediately.

Little Bastard walks over and chops Caffeinquaffers head off with one swing.

Game over.

4-0 victory goes to Grab N' Stab who finished the fight doing exactly that.

Autoerotic Asphyxiation gets 2 kills, Windy Mole gets 1, and Little Bastard gets 1 as well.

Combat Log

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Sep 26, 2014

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Oh, my dude didn't die from a faint breeze.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Get those bets in, people!

Locomotive breath
Feb 1, 2010
Bet placed, chips down, tear-bucket ready. I know we've lost our last two fights, but surely this time we'll win! Surely. Surely. Suuuurely.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Reminder to all dwarf players: If you can spare 100 points, put at least 1 level of skill into everything that might be relevant in a fight. It will pay handsome dividends in case of a battle trance.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Is it just me, or are picks turning out to be the deadliest weapons ever? There were a ridiculous amount of pick induced severs in the last round of matches.

Also, once again I bet against Bad Munki in the hope that somehow, just somehow, this time he will lose.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Pickled Tink posted:

Is it just me, or are picks turning out to be the deadliest weapons ever? There were a ridiculous amount of pick induced severs in the last round of matches.

Also, once again I bet against Bad Munki in the hope that somehow, just somehow, this time he will lose.

There's a reason why their associated weapon skill is more expensive than the others.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Pickled Tink posted:

Yes. Picks are badass.

Our team is going against two picks next fight :ohdear:

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

How is scoring calculated in terms of PF/PA weighting?

i.e. 4-4 is better than 5-6. Is it because you subtract PA from PF?

How are tiebreakers handled if two teams are both 4-4?

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 26, 2014

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Jack the Lad posted:

How is scoring calculated in terms of PF/PA weighting?

i.e. 4-4 is better than 5-6. Is it because you subtract PA from PF?

How are tiebreakers handled if two teams are both 4-4?

Clearly you have to do a tiebreaker round, winner takes the marbles and loser gets to die of shame.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Jazzimus Prime posted:

*Regarding the rationale behind losing fighters getting fewer bonus dorfbucks than winning fighters, this is because the "Bad Munki" rule was introduced for the current tournament in order to discourage manager/bettors from creating really crappy fighters for the purpose of betting against them.

Hey now, just a second there, I didn't create crappy fighters for that reason, that was purely incidental! I made crappy fighters because that's all I could make, but at the same time I recognized what was happening and had the common sense to capitalize upon it in the only way possible. Geez, let's not ascribe malice where incompetence will suffice!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Aw loving dammit! At least I put up a decent last effort.

VladTheEater
Dec 30, 2008

Ahhhhhh, fresh meat.
Well, I did it. I caved.

I bet against my own team because at least it'll somehow end up a win-win.

I'll even be happy if we don't get 4-0'd a third time! :black101:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I have placed everything on yeti.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Putting it all on my team again. Don't let me down!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
:siren: Test Tournament 2, Week 3, Match 1 :siren:

On the left: The Kitten Appreciation Society! Their lineup is Neurion's Noserubbed the kobold, Tunicate's Charity the molemarian, Pickled Tink's Lumberelf the elf and Lorrdernie's Suns Out Guns Out the Troll.

On the right: 3 Knight Dog give us HerpicleOmnicron5's Argosiasus Barkskin the elf, Brick Moses' SRIRACHA FARTSTORM the elf, King Cohort's Digmuch Hardhead the kobold and ignite memories' Harold Bird II the Human.

Both of these teams have two wins and are guaranteed a playoff spot; this fight is just to see who gets top seeding and, of course, bragging rights. So far, 3 Knight Dog are ahead, ever so slightly, due to The Kitten Appreciation Society's single combat death. This round, 3 Knight Dog have the single highest dwarfbuck total put towards their victory... the vast majority of it coming in the form of their own members betting heavily on their success. Is their confidence justified?

The elves outpace their companions again, though not as dramatically as last time. Lumberelf and SRIRACHA FARTSTORM meet first, traditional elven hammer and axe clanging off each other indecisively. The first to actually hurt a foe is Charity, who latches onto Barkskin's hand and bites down. Leather does nothing against her teeth, and as she worries the elf, muscle and bone quickly begin to give way.

Even as that's happening, Digmuch strikes Lumberelf in the leg, taking it of completely with one swing.

Back to Barkskin, who attempts to decapitate Charity, but the mole's thick neck proves too tough to chop through. Seeing the fight is not completely gone from Barkskin, Noserubbed buries his dagger in the elf's spleen. It's Suns Out Guns Out who finishes things, though, reminding us of why you don't take trolls casually. His maul reduces the width of Barkskin's skull by half, and Argosiasus Barkskin drops dead. First kill, and an indelible blot on 3 Knight Dog's so-far flawless record.

Digmuch ducks around Suns Out Guns Out to chop again at Lumberelf. An iron axe, the glove it's carried in, and the hand inside the glove come loose. Worse, for the troll, Harold Bird was apparently hiding behind the kobold... somehow... and as Suns Out stops his charge, the human's steel halberd shatters his left arm, including its nerves, ligaments and tendons. It's a miracle of troll hide that the arm remains attached, nominally. It's the other hand that holds his skullsmasher, though, and the troll's swing catches him in the gut. Harold's mail lessens the blow to a mere bruise. That's all the chance the giant troll has. Hal Bird II puts his weapon in the troll's foot and his weight behind it. A second brutal maiming of a limb is too much for Suns Out Guns Out. The troll is overcome by agony.

Digmuch keeps his attention on Lumberelf, and FARTSTORM shifts to cover the molemarian Charity. FARTSTORM doesn't seem to be able to do much, but Digmuch the kobold puts his mining pick into Lumberelf's ribs. The elf's sole solace through the haze of broken ribs is that her heart and lungs are untouched. That and her rage is incredible. Teeth-first, she hurls herself onto the kobold, shedding his first blood of the match... and, I believe, tournament as a whole.

Harold Bird II strikes Suns Out Guns Out one last time, and the decapitated troll falls atop the body of the elf he, in turn, slew.

Status of the teams:
3 Knight Dog: One elf compressed to handy travel size, one elf okay, one kobold bitten, one human triumphant
The Kitten Appreciation Society: One troll dead, one kobold untouched, one molemarian 2% decapitated, one elf half delimbed

Digmuch ignores the elf teeth in his arm to remove the elf's third limb, this time her right arm. I am stunned at Lumberelf's bloody-minded resilience. Elves usually can't take this much. Lumberelf can. She whips her head back and forth as well as she can, tearing muscle and bruising bone. Digmuch may have (been) bitten off more than he can chew.

As if to echo Lumberelf's success, Charity sinks her fangs into SRIRACHA FARTSTORM's hand. Could 3 Knight Dog really be bitten to death after coming so far?

"Not today," says Digmuch Hardhead through actions alone. His pick takes off Lumberelf's head. Unsurprising, as she was low on other places to hit. Perhaps Digmuch can carry the head around as a bite-like version of Medusa's head.

Too, Harold is on the case, his fearsome steel swung at... Charity's hand. Her hand isn't the dangerous part. Failing to understand this, FARTSTORM's hammer hits the same limb. No broken arm will slow a molemarian biter. She continues savaging the flatulent elf's right hand, meat grinding away in her maw. Again the halberd strikes Charity. Dismissively, Charity scratches at the human's face, but catches only iron helmet. Disgustedly, she drops FARTSTORM to bite the human in his Achilles' Heel, but again her teeth merely scrape along iron. He's really covered his bases.

Noserubbed dodges away from the fight, and the three foes try to gang up on Charity. Sure, she takes some blows, then dodges another. Molemarians are as hard to put down as a horror movie monster. The valiant Digmuch is not dissuaded, however, and he tries to tackle the much larger quadruped... with predictable results. Harold was trying to do the same thing at the same time, though, and he clumsily knocks Digmuch aside.

Charity has another chance to bite Harold Bird II, and she doesn't waste this one. Her jaws close on his upper body, biting down so fearsomely that his iron mail cannot stop it entirely. His two teammates move to face the slippery Noserubbed; he's on his own. Charity bites his head. He chops off a foot, breaks free of her teeth, and chops off an arm. He's still flirting with instant death, however; a good bite could put him down. Finally, finally, he cuts open Charity's abdomen and her guts slip free. Even a molemarian can't handle that sort of injury, and he compounds it with a clean stab through her left lung. She wheezes for breath. Is she actually going to go down? Two more halberd strikes both target her left front leg. She's still in it.

However, things are not going so well for Noserubbed. He did fantastically well for a while, preventing either Digmuch or FARTSTORM from hurting him for a good long while. Eventually, after being stunned by FARTSTORM's rough shove, Digmuch managed to hit him with a pick, damaging his liver. Moments later, Charity bleeds to death.

Cruel, cruel Digmuch slices off Noserubbed's nose. It turns out to have been a practice swing. His next one removes the head, even as the nose plops at his feet.

3 Knight Dog wins a meatgrinder of a fight against The Kitten Appreciation Society, 4-1. KAS put up a valiant, incredibly stubborn show (except for their troll), but in the end fell to merciless steel.

Kills
: Suns Out Guns Out - 1, Digmuch Hardhead - 2, Harold Bird II - 2

Combat Log

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 28, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well-played.

Seems they could handle the tooth.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am disappointed in lumberelf. He did so good in the other two matches.

Those teams will be impressive with another boost of points.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Spermy Smurf posted:

Those teams will be impressive with another boost of points.

They're already impressive. 3 Knight Dog are terrifying!

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Something I find really handy is when commissioners add an abbrieviation of the team name to the fighter names in the combat logs, like 'MLS_Name strikes at SEU_Name' - just makes it a lot easier to follow.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Spermy Smurf posted:

I am disappointed in lumberelf. He did so good in the other two matches.
Lumberelf is a she, but the problem was that the other team had a vorpal pick. If the pick had gone after someone else, preferably Charity, at the start, we might have managed a whole two kills before we were dismembered and used to decorate the arena, instead Lumberelf lost one of her axes and then sat on the ground pulling a Black Knight on the smarmy kobold.

I confess, I *may* be a little sad because I lost most of my dwarfbucks on that fight, but I have no one to blame for that but myself.

Pickled Tink fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 28, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Holy crud that was a good fight, but that maul to the face might convince me to purchase a better helmet. 'Tis a shame that I ruined the team's perfect record.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Picks and Halberds are both so brutal in this game! I think we've found a really good build, with a good mix of stabbing, slicing and bludgeoning weapondry.

My armor finally started to pay some dividends in that last battle, and thank god! The mole bite is a scary thing.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Pickled Tink posted:

I confess, I *may* be a little sad because I lost most of my dwarfbucks on that fight, but I have no one to blame for that but myself.

I made a stack betting against you.

:woop:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Ghostwoods posted:

They're already impressive. 3 Knight Dog are terrifying!

They haven't fought us yet.

Jack the Lad posted:

Something I find really handy is when commissioners add an abbrieviation of the team name to the fighter names in the combat logs, like 'MLS_Name strikes at SEU_Name' - just makes it a lot easier to follow.

I think I am the only one who does this. I thought people found it annoying but I can never read the logs of any they fights because I don't know all 64 fighters names by heart.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Bet leader and I forgot to get my account name on the site updated for username change. Whoops!

That match was amazing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

I think I am the only one who does this. I thought people found it annoying but I can never read the logs of any they fights because I don't know all 64 fighters names by heart.

Seems like something that would be handy as part of the macro.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Noserubbed! Nooo! How will you show your affection for your teammates now? :ohdear:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Lumberelf shakes Digmuch Hardhead around by the right lower arm, tearing apart the right lower arm's muscle and bruising the bone!
An artery in the right lower arm has been opened by the attack, many nerves have been severed, a ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
Lumberelf shakes Digmuch Hardhead around by the right lower arm, tearing apart the right lower arm's muscle and bruising the bone!
An artery in the right lower arm has been opened by the attack, many nerves have been severed, a ligament has been torn and a tendon has been torn!
Lumberelf: Death is all around us. The horror consumes me!

Laughing so hard at this. "DEPFH ITH ARRG ARRNNNGDGGSS, GHHRRRURRR CNNTHHUMTH MMHH"

I have a question - several times lumberelf would 'lose hold' of his armor just prior to being hit in the combat logs. What does that mean? Does it indicate an insufficient armor skill?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ignite Memories posted:

I have a question - several times lumberelf would 'lose hold' of his armor just prior to being hit in the combat logs. What does that mean? Does it indicate an insufficient armor skill?

Nah. They're concurrent events, and the loss of armor is merely displayed first.

Armor skill reduces the armor's effect on movement and attack speed. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not really needed unless you're wearing a full set of bronze armor or something like that.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Tunicate posted:

Seems like something that would be handy as part of the macro.

Combat log name changes are all done manually with find and replace.

Everything other than character creation is done manually, some guys might copy/paste character names but I dunno. Seems like it's too slow to copy/paste from the arena site or another notepad doc.

Then a final find/replace To put the [b] and [u] stuff around every characters name in the document before posting in the thread.

Takes a good half hour from start to finish. Fixing, combining, and uploading screenshots takes another 10-15 mins.

So much fun though. The commissioners have a mad rush to reserve fights so we all are able to run at least one.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

KEEP CALM

and

DIG ON

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I hadn't been putting in the team names because I thought it reads better without. Seems we have a strong consensus otherwise, though, so from now on I'll append the team name in fight logs I run.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Every team now needs a TLA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

goatface posted:

Every team now needs a TLA

"Team Legs" doesn't really lend itself to a good TLA. Just "LEG", perhaps?

• Locked thread