Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Looked up a rather awful cartoon called Ripping Friends. The trope page had this helpful tidbit.

:eng101:

Haven't seen the Ripping Friends, but according to my friend, it's a case study in what happens if you hire John Kricfalusi, and then systematically only use his bad ideas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Haven't seen the Ripping Friends, but according to my friend, it's a case study in what happens if you hire John Kricfalusi, and then systematically only use his bad ideas.

He has good ideas?

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

They Changed It, Now It Sucks: Real Life posted:

Many a person has come back from abroad to the UK in outrage at the lack of 'real' Mountain Dew.

Ah yes, Mountain Dew. The most imperative of beverages.

Speaking of imperative consumables...

quote:

Kid Cuisine has received this from former kids who grew up eating the frozen meals when the company recently changed their mascot's design ever so slightly to a more streamlined, thinner version.

quote:

Ever been to a family or high school reunion, and had someone tell you that you've changed, in a negative tone?

I feel sorry for the family of whoever posted this.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i'm really pissed that this shallow tv-dinner marketing icon is different

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I can't think "Kid Cuisine" without

That pic is what I imagine tropers aspire to. They don't have the guns or cash though, just the TV dinner.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Segmentation Fault posted:

I can't think "Kid Cuisine" without

That pic is what I imagine tropers aspire to. They don't have the guns or cash though, just the TV dinner.

What the gently caress is that yellow goop?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

What the gently caress is that yellow goop?

I believe it's macaroni and cheese.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

corn in the bible posted:

He has good ideas?

Let's put it this way. It was so bad that John Kricfalusi himself was embarrassed of it.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Let's put it this way. It was so bad that John Kricfalusi himself was embarrassed of it.

It begs the question why he made it in the first place.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Cornwind Evil posted:

It begs the question why he made it in the first place.

He was just fired by Nickelodeon, and had no clue how to run an animation team apparently, handing out half baked ideas, and rushing them out the door.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Segmentation Fault posted:

I believe it's macaroni and cheese.

Yikes.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The yellow goop in the upper left is corn. The more orange looking stuff with the spoon in it is macaroni and cheese.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013
That's supposed to be corn, I think.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I like how the "food" is all still there. Gives hope that even the picture-taker can't stomach that slop.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

corn in the bible posted:

He has good ideas?

Someone post flakeloaf's old avatar

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

There are a lot of fans of Thomas the Tank Engine that have diverse opinions on when the series went downhill:

Some say it was when the show became less true to the Rev W. Audry's original stories. Awdry himself disowned the show following Season Three, when writers took more liberties with his stories and also started created their own, which sometimes disobeyed railway code and had inaccuracies to the story mythos. After Season Four, adaptions of the original novels ended altogether.

Others say it was when the show became overwhelmed with the addition of new characters as well as some Replacement Scrappies replacing popular minor characters.

Later seasons of the show are also disliked by fans of the original series because of many continuity errors, Flanderization, and the writers' lack of knowledge of how railroading works.

A lot of fans were also disappointed when Brit Allcroft stopped producing the show and HiT Entertainment took its place and when the latter converted the show's format to CGI instead of using models.

A lot of fans pinpoint Sharon Miller's run as head writer (Seasons 9-16) as the low point of the show, due to stories focused aimed towards much younger audiences and the most evident amount of railway inaccuracies. Season 17, where the series was taken over by Andrew Brenner and reverted to more mature storylines, has gotten a warmer reception thus far.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

There are a lot of fans of Thomas the Tank Engine that have diverse opinions on when the series went downhill:

Some say it was when the show became less true to the Rev W. Audry's original stories. Awdry himself disowned the show following Season Three, when writers took more liberties with his stories and also started created their own, which sometimes disobeyed railway code and had inaccuracies to the story mythos. After Season Four, adaptions of the original novels ended altogether.

Others say it was when the show became overwhelmed with the addition of new characters as well as some Replacement Scrappies replacing popular minor characters.

Later seasons of the show are also disliked by fans of the original series because of many continuity errors, Flanderization, and the writers' lack of knowledge of how railroading works.

A lot of fans were also disappointed when Brit Allcroft stopped producing the show and HiT Entertainment took its place and when the latter converted the show's format to CGI instead of using models.

A lot of fans pinpoint Sharon Miller's run as head writer (Seasons 9-16) as the low point of the show, due to stories focused aimed towards much younger audiences and the most evident amount of railway inaccuracies. Season 17, where the series was taken over by Andrew Brenner and reverted to more mature storylines, has gotten a warmer reception thus far.

Already been tooted I'm afraid.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Unlikely. Tropers think textbooks are for eating.

No, they use them as forts for their epic He-Man/Thundercats cosplaying crossover -- and the ensuing mess and disorderly conduct is why they've been banned from all Barnes and Noble's. Since Tropers don't think critically, they pin the blame on books and the "mundanes"/"normies"/non-tropers who enjoy them and not their geek hobbies.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm going to out myself here and say that I have to agree with the assessment that Thomas the Tank Engine did go downhill after the third season. It's a guilty pleasure of mine, since the old seasons were narrated by Ringo Starr and George Carlin.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Thank you TVTropes for a list that will never be useful to any human being, ever.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Ninjasaurus posted:

Thank you TVTropes for a list that will never be useful to any human being, ever.

It tries to say everything and ends up saying nothing.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

sweeperbravo posted:

It tries to say everything and ends up saying nothing.

Best description for TVTropes I can remember reading. Perfectly succinct, too.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Lottery of Babylon posted:

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Heh, I'd have bolded the numerous references to improper railway practices.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

Keep spergin', spergin', spergin'!

As for content, remember Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers?

quote:

Memetic Sex God: Dale in drag is essentially the Dr. Frank-N-Furter of Disney.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Ninjasaurus posted:

Deconstructed: Mary Sue uses her powers to take over the world and ruins the story as it was intended to play out.

Bending the universe to her own will, Mary Sue divides the fabric of reality by zero and causes The End of the World as We Know It.
The world implodes from the her sheer awesomeness.
Everyone in the audience hates Mary Sue because she is so perfect.
Everyone in the universe hates Mary Sue because they are jealous of her and/or feel threatened by her. So, now everyone is out to get rid of her.
Mary Sue works incredibly hard to be as perfect as she is because she has a cripplingly low self-esteem and is sure that nobody would like her if she were just ordinary at anything.
Mary Sue is actually a Humanoid Abomination sent to the world to pacify everyone and create world peace through her apparent amazingness so that it can take over, or destroy, the planet without any difficulty.

Reconstructed: The character is fun for the audience, see Escapist Character.
Zig Zagged: A character's Mary Sue traits (or lack therof) vary greatly between different parts of the storie(s).
Averted: All the characters have significant flaws and undesirable traits, and any focus on a particular character does not interfere with the advancement of the overall plot.
Enforced: The writer's a beginner who believes that having a likable Badass OC would make her story interesting.
Lampshaded: "OMG IM SO PERFECT!!"
Invoked: Alice thought it was a great idea to be a Mary Sue, so she did what was necessary to turn into one.
Defied: The plot is to make Mary Sue into a normal character.
Discussed: "Have you noticed that ever since Mary Sue arrived, all our conversations revolve around her one way or another?
Conversed: "Blatant Mary Sues are generally a sign of a beginner fanfic writer."

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I remember the show. I do not remember that however.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BlueDude posted:

As for content, remember Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers?

quote:

Memetic Sex God: Dale in drag is essentially the Dr. Frank-N-Furter of Disney.

What the gently caress?

No, nevermind, I don't want to know.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

"Memetic Sex God" is basically what happens when you have a fandom that thinks sex jokes are funny, and then they start taking them seriously. So, basically, any internet fandom.

It's really weird how, after a while, fandom comes up with its own interpretations of shows- accepted by many different people- that a regular viewer of a show wouldn't even begin to imagine.

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014

Puppy Time posted:

"Memetic Sex God" is basically what happens when you have a fandom that thinks sex jokes are funny, and then they start taking them seriously. So, basically, any internet fandom.

It's really weird how, after a while, fandom comes up with its own interpretations of shows- accepted by many different people- that a regular viewer of a show wouldn't even begin to imagine.

It's like a law of the internet. Fandoms grow and develop until a certain critical mass is reached, after which it's nothing but Sex. After this point is reached, fandoms will often begin to seek others with which to merge.

I call it the Wholock Law.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

HapiMerchant posted:

It's like a law of the internet. Fandoms grow and develop until a certain critical mass is reached, after which it's nothing but Sex. After this point is reached, fandoms will often begin to seek others with which to merge.

I call it the Wholock Law.

Aren't they Superwholocks now? I think you're on to something.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Leofish posted:

Aren't they Superwholocks now? I think you're on to something.
Don't forget Homestuck.

Actually, forgetting Homestuck is probably the best course of action.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Don't forget Homestuck.

Actually, forgetting Homestuck is probably the best course of action.

Homestuck is more like a parasite that attaches to the host fandom and turns it into trolls.

Ponies are the same.

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014

Leofish posted:

Homestuck is more like a parasite that attaches to the host fandom and turns it into trolls.

Ponies are the same.

Honestly, I think ponies are a more apt comparison, given that bronies have this strange urge to "ponify" loving everything. For example:

quote:

Pony Fantasy VI is a Romhack of Final Fantasy VI that replaces the game's cast and NPCs with the characters of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. It was created by QuickFix (aka BossManJohn1).

Another thing that bugs me about the fans (and tropers in general, really) is that they seem to think that references are the height of comedy, and so everything they make must be ReferenceOverdosed and {{Troperiffic}}.

Same as the above posted:

* Shout-Out: If you talk to Pinkie Pie while watching the opera, she talks about watching a theater production called Manos: The Hooves of Fate which she describes as "Soooooooo boring and creepy" but that the boredom was alleviated by some guys sitting in the front row making fun of the movie.
* There is also an NPC in Stalliongrad who asks "Who is funnier? Mike or Joel?" Picking "Joel" summons guards to fight.

This doesn't even make sense, given the setting.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Stay the gently caress away from Final Fantasy VI, you perverted spergs! :argh:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

"The only way any of us are going to get through this is if we play our roles ... and do our jobs."
—Kirlia "Skye" Namron, Turnabout Tragedy (Case 2)

"Why do you think we're holding a normal trial with a Pokémon as the defendant? Because Pokémon have souls and intelligence to match ours. One of these days, maybe the entire world will come to see that ..."
—Brendan Namron, Turnabout Return (Case 1)

Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney is an ongoing series of "cases", written in the style of an Ace Attorney game transcript, that attempts to tell the tale of Brendan ten years after his journey through Hoenn as a Pokémon Trainer; he has become a defense attorney. A Fanfic written by Strife 89 (real name: Michael Carr), it only has two cases fully written, with a third in planning stages. The author has the intention of creating a set of four or five cases that tie in to each other, forming a complete story. The series was inspired by ShadowKnux372's Phoenix's SSBB Case Files.

Brendan is accompanied by two Pokémon, Phoenix (a Torchic) and Skye (a Kirlia). Little is known about them, except that they are the children of two of the Pokémon that Brendan traveled with during his years as a trainer.

The series is currently being posted on The Cave of Dragonflies forums, where members are given the opportunity to "play" the trials, in a similar manner to the traditional Ace Attorney gameplay.

Wants More Love
Tropes featured in Brendan Namron: Ace Attorney:

Always Murder: Played straight so far.
Amateur Sleuth: Skye doesn't appear to have any proper police training, given her accident in Turnabout Tragedy, but she is on the forensics team all the same. Brendan, much like Phoenix and Apollo in their series, does his own unprofessional investigations between trials.
Author Appeal
Author Tract: The evidence is the end of this post.
Avenging the Villain: Mars kills Brendan's mother in case two, as revenge for her research ultimately leading to the loss of Cyrus.
Big drat Heroes: Skye bursts into the courtroom, evidence in hand, in case one, just after Roxanne gives Brendan a talking-to about accepting his "loss".
Big No: Used on occasion. Prosecutor Blue seems to use it the most, so far.
Big Word Shout: The author tries to make it clear that, were this an actual game, it would use the Big Word Shouts found in the Ace Attorney games.
Continuity Drift: Despite the trope below, several of the characters have been taken in unexpected directions.
Conviction by Contradiction: For obvious reasons.
Courtroom Antic: Case one attempts to introduce a new one: Pokemon battles in court!
Development Hell: Roughly half a year passed from the release of parts four and five of case two.
Doing It for the Art: Debatable. The author had already "finished" part four of case two, and was working on part five; but when a forum member pointed out the numerous problems, he scrapped virtually all of those two parts in order to try again.
Did Not Do the Research
Dramatic Irony: The first case's culprit is made known before the "game" begins, and most people seem to figure out pretty quickly that the murder in case two is Mars.
Economy Cast: So far, there are VERY few original characters (not that that's a bad thing) and virtually no minor ones; however, many of the non-originals get their personalities and backstories elaborated on a lot.
First-Person Smartass: Brendan is nowhere near as snarky as Phoenix in his head, but he has his moments. Granted, Skye is capable of monitoring his thoughts, so it might be for the best.
Foreshadowing: While present, the attempts are lukewarm.
Fridge Brilliance: At first, the remark from Slooth about how all of the office "computers" are dumb terminals seems like a lame plot device to make getting Brendan's results take longer. But then, you remember that the only thing you were allowed to do with, say, the Pokémon Center PCs, was to access other computers.
Good Lawyers, Good Clients: So far, it appears that Brendan has had nothing but good clients - not that that's guaranteed to last.
I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Mars to Cyrus; this is her main motivation for committing the crime.
Idiot Ball: Night Russ carries it.
Improbable Age: Skye is nine years old when she joins the Goldenrod City forensics team.
Jerkass: Blue might be this, but it's a little early to tell for sure.
The Judge: Practically imported straight from the Ace Attorney universe.
Just in Time: Skye's interjection in case one.
Kangaroo Court: Every single thing in this entry under Ace Attorney applies here.
Lampshade Hanging: Every now and then. For instance, one of the Talk topics is "What have you been up to?", which gives only three lines of text; the last one has Brendan wonder to himself, "Is that it?"
Late Arrival Spoiler: Late-game plot points from Pokemon Platinum are referenced in case two.
Life Meter: Penalties are mentioned in-script, and the forum players get their "health" tracked by the author.
Like Brother and Sister: Brendan calls Phoenix and Skye his closest friends, but Phoenix is barely even mentioned by him or the author during a lot of case two (thus far). While this may simply be due to the fact that Skye is his client in the case, one could read the relationship as something closer than "good friends".
Meaningful Name: Several of the Punny Names.
Memetic Badass: Red is mentioned by Blue in the second case, and Brendan has definitely heard of him.
Mystery Magnet: Brendan is potentially shaping up to be this. Case 2 starts with him asking his mother about Team Galactic. Guess who kills her shortly thereafter.
Not as You Know Them: Brendan was Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald's silent male protagonist, who (like the other games' player characters) led a successful life in nothing but training. Guess where this series takes him after six years of that.
Silver appears in case two. He's mellowed quite a bit since the end of Soul Silver.
The Perry Mason Method: Used by Brendan quite a bit.
Plot Hole: See rear end Pull above.
Power of Trust: Brendan evidently wants the world to trust in their Pokemon as friends on a human level, rather than as animals.
Psychic Powers: Skye, naturally. Rarely done well.
Punny Name: Brendan Namron, Night Russ (nitrous), Detective Slooth, Torchic!Phoenix ....
Expect an "Odor Sleuth" joke any day now.
Schedule Slip: There's not an actual schedule, but once the author's thread caught up with what he wrote, things slowed down.
Script Fic: Although case one's introduction is in prose.
Sdrawkcab Name: Brendan's last name is just his father's name (Norman) reversed. It exists only in this series.
Shout-Out: Lots, with more expected to appear.
Brendan's Torchic is named Phoenix. He shares Maya's love for burgers.
Brendan's Kirlia is named Skye, and she works on the forensics team.
While at the Goldenrod Docks, Brendan recalls a Milotic he owned named Mimi.
Detective Slooth uses Gumshoe's Verbal Tic, pal!
Villainous Breakdown: When Brendan pins Russ in case one, Russ calls out his Mightyena and tries to kill him.
What Do You Mean It's Not Awesome?: The series attempts to make Pokemon read like an Ace Attorney game while fantasizing on the futures of the mainstay characters from the former series.
Some say it is awesome.
World of Ham: As expected, there is a LOT of yelling in the courtroom.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

BlueDude posted:

Honestly, I think ponies are a more apt comparison, given that bronies have this strange urge to "ponify" loving everything. For example:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=197 :rolleye:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

that's loving pathetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

BlueDude posted:

Another thing that bugs me about the fans (and tropers in general, really) is that they seem to think that references are the height of comedy, and so everything they make must be ReferenceOverdosed and {{Troperiffic}}.

This doesn't even make sense, given the setting.

Here's the thought process of bronies

1) I like ponies
2) I like X
3) I think X should have ponies in it
4) It should also have everything else that I like, no matter how it fits in.

• Locked thread