Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I've only seen LPs of it and I feel like I got the full experience. Everyone says the combat is miserable and the PC version of the game suffers from tons of bugs, so I think you'd be fine going that route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

EmmyOk posted:

Really like the sound of Deadly Premonition but don't have anything to play it on, is the LP worth a watch?
Yes, it's leaps and bounds better than letting people dupe you into thinking that charm makes up for a tedious and ugly game.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I didn't really like the lp, but if the options are the lp or dont experience the game go for the lp.

edit: if you go for the supergreatfriend lp just skip past all the time he wastes doing stupid poo poo like getting all the rewards for playing darts

Clever Spambot fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 23, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
If you can, look for the supergreatfriend LP, they did a pretty good on DP.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I may get flack for this, but I think the Giant Bomb Endurance Run is also pretty great.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
supergreatfriend's LP is incredibly thorough. He gets at every single sidequest and hears every bit of dialogue. This might be annoying if you want him to go further in the plot (he basically postpones the entire story to complete the sidequests). But it's the atmosphere that people play the game for, not the gameplay, after all.

Horns
Nov 4, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

I may get flack for this, but I think the Giant Bomb Endurance Run is also pretty great.

I guess we're both getting flack then, because the GB Endurance Run is fantastic. Or the Jeff/Vinny one is, I still haven't finished the other one because Brad is such a sour puss.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

You haven't experienced true horror from a video game until you're on your third hour of watching Brad Shoemaker fail to grasp how to kill wall zombies.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Deadly Premonition is a good game in a bad game's body.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Horns posted:

I guess we're both getting flack then, because the GB Endurance Run is fantastic. Or the Jeff/Vinny one is, I still haven't finished the other one because Brad is such a sour puss.

Vargs posted:

You haven't experienced true horror from a video game until you're on your third hour of watching Brad Shoemaker fail to grasp how to kill wall zombies.
Honestly, Brad's playthrough would be a train-wreck if it weren't for Ryan motherfucking Davis.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Niggurath posted:

Yes, it's leaps and bounds better than letting people dupe you into thinking that charm makes up for a tedious and ugly game.

Someone talked about modding the combat scenes to be drastically shorter or just removed completely from the PC port, did anything ever come of that?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Outlast is on sale through Steam for $6.79 until Saturday. The Whistleblower DLC is $3.05, I finally picked that up with trading card funds. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter comes out Thursday, Neverending Nightmares comes out Friday, the Halloween horror game season looks to be kicking off with a really strong start.

Anyone planning to buy Alien: Isolation on launch? I think I'm going to wait until full reviews come out and other people around here have had a chance to play it, I'm way too cheap to drop $50 unless it turns out to be objectively amazing.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Outlast is on sale through Steam for $6.79 until Saturday. The Whistleblower DLC is $3.05, I finally picked that up with trading card funds. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter comes out Thursday, Neverending Nightmares comes out Friday, the Halloween horror game season looks to be kicking off with a really strong start.

Anyone planning to buy Alien: Isolation on launch? I think I'm going to wait until full reviews come out and other people around here have had a chance to play it, I'm way too cheap to drop $50 unless it turns out to be objectively amazing.

I'm holding off on Isolation. The setting doesn't feel "Halloweeny" enough, or at least in the way I want. Ethan Carter and Neverending Nightmares definitely do though. I think I might get The Evil Within, because everything I've seen about it looks like Halloween haunted house cheese turned up to 11.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

Really like the sound of Deadly Premonition but don't have anything to play it on, is the LP worth a watch?

The SGF lets play is the way to go. It's the best possible way to experience the game.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You know, I've never gotten the griping over the driving in that game. It was just kind of there, and most of the time you could use the radio to get wherever if you didn't feel like driving.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Xoidanor posted:

The SGF lets play is the way to go. It's the best possible way to experience the game.
If you skip over the final four episodes or so straight to the last one, anyway. God, sidequest wrapup was a boring chore. I actually stopped watching there for two years, only ever saw the ending a while ago in the archives. Kinda wish I hadn't, but that's good horror for you.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Cardiovorax posted:

The Last of Us doesn't really count as that kind of gameplay anyway, really, because the only situation in which stealth really is the best route to take, as opposed to something you utilize a little to facilitate shootsmashing everybody's heads in, is when you are faced with enemies that can instantly kill you and fighting them is simply impossible.

I played the last of us on hard and I think I only ran through three areas instead of killing everyone:
-the final university place before you get to the main university lab/building.
-the start of winter where the girl falls into an area full of clickers and possibly no guns? but I can't remember too well. before the final onslaught in the old mill.
-the large open area before the hospital in the end, that is full of runners and clickers.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Is Evil Within ever coming out? It feels lie it was announced a forever ago, but maybe it just feels that way.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is Evil Within ever coming out? It feels lie it was announced a forever ago, but maybe it just feels that way.
It comes out in two weeks.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

ManOfTheYear posted:

Release date can be seen right on steam's store page.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
Neverending Nightmares sure has a lot of walking.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

It comes out in two weeks.

Huh, alright.

Are people excited for this game? Apparently it's basically RE4, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

Huh, alright.

Are people excited for this game? Apparently it's basically RE4, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Aside from some trepidation around a few mechanics and some worry that it'll be gory for gore's sake, I'm looking forward to playing it. I just hope it doesn't end up being another Shadows of the Damned, which I doubt it'll be.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Brackhar posted:

Aside from some trepidation around a few mechanics and some worry that it'll be gory for gore's sake, I'm looking forward to playing it.

What worries you about the mechanics? Are there some glaring issues out of the bat?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ManOfTheYear posted:

What worries you about the mechanics? Are there some glaring issues out of the bat?
There may be an invincible enemy that can one-shot you, or just bring you to one health, if you take too long throughout the game.

BMAliens
Sep 28, 2014

Accordion Man posted:

There may be an invincible enemy that can one-shot you, or just bring you to one health, if you take too long throughout the game.

But if they pull it off right it might play out as nice as the Tyrant or Nemesis from the Resident Evil games - to date my favorite recurring enemies in a video game.
Nothing beats being chased through an unknown area by an overwhelming force looking for an advantage to beat the odds.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I'd definitely be happy with another RE4, even though it's not scary. By far the best Resident Evil and just an all around good game. Plus it won't bbe dragged down by having to be in the overbloated mess that is the RE universe.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

ManOfTheYear posted:

Accordion Man posted:

BMAliens posted:

But if they pull it off right it might play out as nice as the Tyrant or Nemesis from the Resident Evil games - to date my favorite recurring enemies in a video game.
Nothing beats being chased through an unknown area by an overwhelming force looking for an advantage to beat the odds.

Exactly this.

Also, as an aside, skip Neverending Nightmares and stay far, far away from it. I've rarely been so bored by a game.

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 28, 2014

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
From the gameplay footage it looks like ghostydude just teleports in and gooses you, which is a lot less tense than a trackable, towering dahaka or something.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
And its supposed to be a stealth game, so getting rushed seems counter-intuitive.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Honestly, I'm just pretty much looking forward to the game for what appear to be very ghastly set pieces as seen more in the TGS trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g8jcRBlbvA

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Brackhar posted:

Neverending Nightmares sure has a lot of walking.

A goon's worst nightmare

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kulkasha posted:

From the gameplay footage it looks like ghostydude just teleports in and gooses you, which is a lot less tense than a trackable, towering dahaka or something.

The stream where ghostydude makes an appearance, for reference. He makes an appearance at around 4 minutes and about 17:35, and probably more because I haven't watched the whole thing. He can appear during fights, during opening doors, behind you, and in such close quarters that there's zero chance to escape. People who have played the demo have reported that he can appear at points where you are completely vulnerable and unable to escape and is totally random.

If that's the case, its a completely poo poo mechanic that has nothing on Nemesis or the Dahaka or whatever.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Well, Shadows of the Damned basically consisted of various annoying gently caress you mechanics, so it wouldn't surprise me if this Teleporto-ghostman here really is that bad. But I'll wait till someone sees the final product before complaining.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I have my doubts that it will all that horrible. The only gameplay video I've seen the ghost in took place 1)In a later game chapter, where you imagine the difficulty would be high, with 2)A character that the presenters state had no upgrades applied, who was controlled by a 3)bad player by his own admittance, who was 4)not playing on easy mode, which he should have been for demo purposes, given his skill level.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Ghost Dude basically reminds me of the Forrest Speyer zombie in that one unlockable feature in REMake. The big difference being that Forrest simply follows you while this ghost apparently just appears out of nowhere.

Even Fatal Frame had a similar feature, with certain rooms (well to be fair most rooms, even "safe" rooms) containing ghosts that would appear if you stayed too long in them. But in Fatal Frame you could actually fight the ghosts off since they were just regular ghosts. The big downside was the fact that resources in that series were very limited.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Yeah recurring enemies that can show up out of nowhere even in areas that are "cleared" works fine in alot of horror games but from just initial comments it seems like the evil within implements it in every wrong way possible.

The game is clearly not my type of horror but i'm definitely hoping its good and does well, not many big budget horror games seem to come out anymore.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I kind of love how this thread has already decided the mechanic of an unreleased game is overpowered and unfun.

Edit: changed the word "game" to "thread" because I intended to write thread instead of game to begin with.

Len fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 29, 2014

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
There is always a smartass comment like that in every thread that says anything negative about a game that isnt out yet. Its like people think that human beings cant look at poo poo they have seen a thousand times and say pretty definitively "this works" or "this doesnt work" or even "I dont think this looks like something i personally enjoy" without looking like some rear end in a top hat who is jumping the gun, its really obnoxious and white-noisy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

This all makes me think that if RE4 were just now coming out and they made it a point in the trailers to show off how the chainsaw guys could jump and one-shot you, man, that game would have blown, don't bother playing.

Now granted, this game could very well wind up being terrible, but still.