Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
SF's minimum wage has been $10.74 for a few years now, plus we had Healthy SF and some other worker-friendly policies employers had to pay into. Know what happened? Lots and lots of jobs start higher (even tipped ones,) at $12-17, there are a shitton of full time jobs, (I usually like to work two part time jobs instead of one FT unless there is a benefits package involved and it can be difficult) and many now offer 401k or Healthcare/partial HC/dental etc or pay a portion of your commute.

I know Seattle has similar tech money flowing into it. I think you'll be okay.

E: my mistake, was 10.24, then 10.55 now 10.74. Goes to $11.05 in Jan, and we've got $15 on the ballot. It's been over $10 since 2011.
http://www.sfbg.com/2014/08/05/arguments-against-minimum-wage-increase-are-out-touch

MAKE NO BABBYS fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a ritard
Jul 31, 2014

by XyloJW
interesting - i'm waiting to see how the geography will affect this kind of thing: san francisco is a peninsula while seattle is pretty sprawled out ,in comparison, with many avenues of entrance for workers.
one thing that's happened up here is that the county mass transit has been voted down on budget, and it's becoming harder to take the bus into urban areas, i'm guessing this will lead to a kind of economic segregation where the city ends up with an insular population (seattle is looking more and more like manhattan anyway so maybe it is for the best.)

myself - even though the gears are moving, i'm not counting on the wage increase. better to study and break out than to wait for momma government to start handing out that sweet luchre.

also: manning an exposed gas broiler has left my knuckles bald, and i'm kinda proud of that.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

a ritard posted:

myself - even though the gears are moving, i'm not counting on the wage increase. better to study and break out than to wait for momma government to start handing out that sweet luchre.

Yes, being able to afford a room in an apartment that isn't a literal closet and eat something other than cheap beer for dinner is exactly like getting welfare. Goddamn welfare queens, expecting their basic living costs to be covered!

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Next thing you know, they're going to want time to use the bathroom or to stop and eat something!

No sir, not in my America!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Alright so I started bacon and pastrami this week and everything is finishing its last day curing. Anyone have lots of curing experience? I started the charcuterie thread and have been doing bacons for a while now but pastrami is new to me. I followed Ruhlmans instructions and it's sitting there drying in the fridge until tomorrow... Anyone made pastami before?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Ruhlman's pastrami recipe kinda sucks. The ingredients are fine, but his cure time isn't nearly long enough. For a whole brisket without injection brining, it should take 3-4 weeks. Even a small lean piece will take 2 weeks or so depending on thickness

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Ruhlman's pastrami recipe kinda sucks. The ingredients are fine, but his cure time isn't nearly long enough. For a whole brisket without injection brining, it should take 3-4 weeks. Even a small lean piece will take 2 weeks or so depending on thickness

Hmmm.. lovely. I did a 4 day brine for a 4 pound hunk of flat I carved off a packers brisket. I use the point for ground beef in the burgers here. It's a big fat angus brisket so maybe it didn't penetrate all the way. I guess I will know tomorrow. I will carve another one and try again tomorrow I suppose and leave it in for longer,

These are going to go in specials not on e the regular menu so if it disappears for a bit I'm not stressed.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You can speed up your brine penetration by going hog wild with a jaccard.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Ugh, working a weekend with the old chef, who was super loving intense and definitely insane and supremely, supremely good, is the most alive I have felt in over a month, and he said something to the effect of how I could have been a great chef if I had the courage to commit to things, and man, it felt so good to have serve food to a full house in the first time in a month, and to be in a kitchen with a guy whose skills are the most intense ever and it's insane how your perspective can change in thirty god damned days. I think I'm probably too neurotic to work in this industry but god watching him work makes me wish I wasn't almost.

anyways there's the weekly babbling shitpost from me for this thread.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Simoom posted:

Ugh, working a weekend with the old chef, who was super loving intense and definitely insane and supremely, supremely good, is the most alive I have felt in over a month, and he said something to the effect of how I could have been a great chef if I had the courage to commit to things, and man, it felt so good to have serve food to a full house in the first time in a month, and to be in a kitchen with a guy whose skills are the most intense ever and it's insane how your perspective can change in thirty god damned days. I think I'm probably too neurotic to work in this industry but god watching him work makes me wish I wasn't almost.

anyways there's the weekly babbling shitpost from me for this thread.

just curious, what do you mean when you say this guy's skills are 'the most intense ever', and what has been so earthshattering to your perspective?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm just waiting until Simoom implodes and takes a federal building with him.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I'm not qualified to work for the government to get my foot in the door there, nor am I competent enough to stage any acts of mass violence! I meant that the chef in question was really emotional and loud and it causes stress- all of my friends told me to leave, as did posters in this very thread! I think it was right to do, but compared to not getting paid proper, seeing people take food from the garbage to serve on the plate and getting dicked around for three or four interviews I found working with him this weekend to be very pleasant and invigorating and I sort of miss him in an odd way!

Also he's an incredible chef I don't know maybe that's not so unusual but he's worked at a michelin 3 star restaurant before and cooked for literal royalty and I'm young and impressionable. I spent the last month watching dudes not give a poo poo so seeing him again was like "man kitchens are kind of cool". I was just using this thread to think aloud and don't intend to return full-time to kitchens! The devil often takes attractive forms!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Simoom posted:

I'm not qualified to work for the government to get my foot in the door there, nor am I competent enough to stage any acts of mass violence! I meant that the chef in question was really emotional and loud and it causes stress- all of my friends told me to leave, as did posters in this very thread! I think it was right to do, but compared to not getting paid proper, seeing people take food from the garbage to serve on the plate and getting dicked around for three or four interviews I found working with him this weekend to be very pleasant and invigorating and I sort of miss him in an odd way!

That's called Stockholm syndrome

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I almost can't believe Simoom is real.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I spent the last year and a half as the sous chef at a brand new, constantly broke, severely understaffed and bullshit buzzwordy loving restaurant that served food that I was proud of about 40% of the time. 60 hour work weeks at $11/hr made me go insane with severe alcoholism, so now I'm doing something I can actually get behind: awesome bar food.

sup

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
besides the food, how is your environment different?

also have you stopped/cut back on drinking?

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
The environment is less toxic and open to collaboration, the chef has more than 5 years in the industry under his belt and knows what he's talking about and isn't a sociopath, the business is actually successful, and I like the food more.

And yeah, I'm not drinking the disappointment away anymore, and that's a huge plus.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Radio Help posted:

I spent the last year and a half as the sous chef at a brand new, constantly broke, severely understaffed and bullshit buzzwordy loving restaurant that served food that I was proud of about 40% of the time. 60 hour work weeks at $11/hr made me go insane with severe alcoholism, so now I'm doing something I can actually get behind: awesome bar food.

sup

That's what my place is, upscale bar food.

Unfortunately all the loving people want when they walk in is brisket, as if I'm some kind of loving BBQ joint.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That's what my place is, upscale bar food.

Unfortunately all the loving people want when they walk in is brisket, as if I'm some kind of loving BBQ joint.

At some point it might be prudent to dance with the guy who brought 'ya. You know what your clientele wants, and you are giving them something else. Which is the higher priority right now- running a successful business or cooking what you want to cook? Nothing wrong with choosing one over the other- just make sure both elements are in balance and sustainable because too much of one or the other will wreck you.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Wroughtirony posted:

At some point it might be prudent to dance with the guy who brought 'ya. You know what your clientele wants, and you are giving them something else. Which is the higher priority right now- running a successful business or cooking what you want to cook? Nothing wrong with choosing one over the other- just make sure both elements are in balance and sustainable because too much of one or the other will wreck you.

Oh I bought a smoker and smoke a bunch of briskest every week... It's just not what I enjoy doing, but they sell out like crazy so it's what I end up doing. I'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face, but I wish they would try something else occasionally.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
Plus, even mediocre BBQ can sell well in a bar (well, it does in Portland. I see you're in Texas though, so the market might be a bit saturated). Either way, if it gets them in the door they'll be more bodies buying the booze and the tater barrels. Win/win?

edit: maybe get creative with it? I had some smoked bison brisket recently that blew my goddamn brain open.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Radio Help posted:

Plus, even mediocre BBQ can sell well in a bar (well, it does in Portland. I see you're in Texas though, so the market might be a bit saturated). Either way, if it gets them in the door they'll be more bodies buying the booze and the tater barrels. Win/win?

edit: maybe get creative with it? I had some smoked bison brisket recently that blew my goddamn brain open.

poo poo people here are stupid with their BBQ. I have people tell me that a 1/4 inch smoke ring isn't very good and I need to do better because my flat isn't as tender as in some of the BBQ places they have been to.

All I want to scream is "DOES IT SAY loving BBQ ON THE loving SIGN OUTSIDE!?!?!?" right in their faces. But I know I can't. If it wasnt so drat popular I would not serve brisket as it's a very finicky piece of meat and really hard to get right. I would replace it with something easier like a pork butt or something but these people would lose their minds.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 30, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Errant Gin Monks posted:

All I want to scream is "DOES IT SAY loving BBQ ON THE loving SIGN OUTSIDE!?!?!?" right in their faces. But I know I can't. If it wasnt so drat popular I would not serve brisket as it's a very finicky piece of meat and really hard to get right. I would replace it with something easier like a pork butt or something but these people would lose their minds.

SOLUTION FOR YOUR PREVIOUS PROBLEM. Call it 'Barbeque Bacon Old Fashioned Sampler'.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Kenning posted:

I almost can't believe Simoom is real.

I assure you I am real, and the logical result of someone with an interest in cooking and severe mental illness being raised entirely by action movies, cartoons and video games. The script I am trying to follow does not translate very well to real life and it's hilarious.

Seconding smoked bison triggering a blowing reaction in a guy's brain. It's unreal.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Oh god, why would you torture yourself like that?

lol I remember these little fuckers

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Herr Tog posted:

lol I remember these little fuckers

What do you mean, 'remember'? We still have to use them. They still don't have laser printers for us, just for the bar. There's two more, but they're broken and never used or fixed. Also one of our computers, THE most used one for orders, has been down for a week and they still haven't fixed it. We also just failed our second health inspection. Or maybe it's the third?

Either way the current OP of this place obviously does not want to be here and I suspect he may be hoping to fail out so some other rear end in a top hat is marked for death and forced to try to turn this place around.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

poo poo people here are stupid with their BBQ. I have people tell me that a 1/4 inch smoke ring isn't very good and I need to do better because my flat isn't as tender as in some of the BBQ places they have been to.

You're in Texas? If so, and are in Austin, let's be pals. Also, the key to loving delicious brisket, imo, is seasoning it 24hrs in advance, or brining. If I could manage it at work, I would always brine my briskets for 3-4 days.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

You're in Texas? If so, and are in Austin, let's be pals. Also, the key to loving delicious brisket, imo, is seasoning it 24hrs in advance, or brining. If I could manage it at work, I would always brine my briskets for 3-4 days.

San Antonio actually.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Black August posted:

What do you mean, 'remember'?

Didn't stay in the industry

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Herr Tog posted:

Didn't stay in the industry

Generally a wise choice

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Did a 14 hour double and had short staff for dinner service. Back in at 9am to open for lunch and I already want a drink. I'm weeping tears of joy that I only have 2 covers booked for lunch (and I'm salaried)

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Clopening is a loving nightmare. I finally caught up on sleep and I feel like those crazy shifts were just a dream.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
just solo'd the floor of my 23 table breakfast joint from open to close

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

You can speed up your brine penetration by going hog wild with a jaccard.

Ruhlman thing turned out pretty decent. It's pretty pastrami-y

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Awwwww yeaahhhh boyyyyyy! I'm hacking up alarmingly orange sputum, can't stay on my feet for more than a minute or so without getting so dizzy I have to sit, we're like five people short in the kitchen and I'm needed tomorrow morning for a capacity breakfast service! Time to play the game that's sweeping the nation: Bosses try to guilt you into coming in and being a giant loving lawsuit while I take my first sick day in a year and a half, or otherwise get the bosses to say in writing "I know you are sick, come in anyway"

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Willie Tomg posted:

Awwwww yeaahhhh boyyyyyy! I'm hacking up alarmingly orange sputum, can't stay on my feet for more than a minute or so without getting so dizzy I have to sit, we're like five people short in the kitchen and I'm needed tomorrow morning for a capacity breakfast service! Time to play the game that's sweeping the nation: Bosses try to guilt you into coming in and being a giant loving lawsuit while I take my first sick day in a year and a half, or otherwise get the bosses to say in writing "I know you are sick, come in anyway"

I would not allow you to come into my restaurant.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 

Willie Tomg posted:

If your boss doesn't realize how incredibly bad it is for business to have a visibly sick person in a BOH position, then his/her business isn't going to last long, anyways. gently caress em. Stay home and eat pho.

edit: I say this knowing full well how exploitative BOH management can be. If you have the insurance for it, go to an urgent care facility and have one of the LPNs or docs write you a "yeah you're too sick to work" note. Covers your rear end in case they try to fire you for it.

Radio Help fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 30, 2014

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

JawKnee posted:

just solo'd the floor of my 23 table breakfast joint from open to close

Nice. Yesterday, the guy who was closing dinner decided he didn't feel like coming in for 2 hours, so I had to cover despite the fact I opened and closed lunch. I used it as mean leverage to tell them I wasn't coming in for the night when we already had too many servers on anyways, which was good since I was on 4 hours sleep. He didn't get reprimanded though, people usually don't for coming in late. People just come in whenever they want really.

At 5pm, I managed to have the entire floor clean, wiped, and done by myself, with nobody seated since it was so slow.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Willie Tomg posted:

When I had strep throat a few months back my boss had to bring in an old lady to make moussaka because the only two people in the world who can make it the way he likes are me and her. :haw:

On an unrelated note I noticed a new barbecue restaurant was opening near me and I got excited until I saw on the "coming soon" sign they had a sandwich that looked like 66% pickle and onion on a hamburger bun. Then I looked them up and they're a crappy chain. :(

Republicans fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Just did a 14 hour shift, figured you gays would appreciate this

e: Also, Willie Tomg isn't being guilted into coming to work, but tomorrow will suck without him.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Oct 1, 2014

• Locked thread