Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Ithaqua posted:

Yes, it's pretty obvious. He also says something like "I think the plane is going down" while malfunctioning, and the Monarch said in season 1 or 2 that his parents died when the plane they were in crashed in the pine barrens.

You can also see the monarch's parents hanging out with Jonas Venture boat in the Spanikopita!!! episode.

I think it's going to turn out that the Monarch hates Rusty because Rusty was a dick when they played together when they were kids. It would fit the show so well; this insane, all-consuming life-long hatred over something totally inconsequential.

I thought he hated Doc because he was too young to hate Jonas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SRM posted:

A friend of mine mentioned that she made spinach pie the other day. I immediately spouted out "Spanikopita!" and she looked at me like I had an extra hole in my head. I remembered then that she'd seen the first four seasons, but not season five yet :saddowns:

Awww :3:

A friend of mine only recently saw season 5 so it was with great pleasure that I hit him with the line and he immediately reciprocated :)

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

SRM posted:

A friend of mine mentioned that she made spinach pie the other day. I immediately spouted out "Spanikopita!" and she looked at me like I had an extra hole in my head. I remembered then that she'd seen the first four seasons, but not season five yet :saddowns:

Also, interestingly enough, in the deleted scenes on the DVD for season 5, they've got the whole Harryhausen-esque bit done in regular animation instead of stop motion. I'm glad they went with the stop motion since it's so weird, but I'm surprised they went through with doing it all traditionally first.

I've had to try to explain my spanakopita shirt to two different random people. It's really hard to try to figure out how to explain the backstory. Luckily both of the people had heard of Jonny Quest.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Helena Handbasket posted:

Finally finishing up my re-watch of Season Five. Is Vendata the Monarch's dad? Am I way off or did everybody else already figure this out? Venturion was created in 1976 so the timeline makes sense. I didn't think of it until this shot from Bot Meets Bot, though. He looks like the Monarch to me when his mask is knocked off.

!!!!!!

Holy poo poo, never saw that before. And the "Honey the plane going down" thing too. Makes perfect sense.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Cat Terrist posted:

!!!!!!

Holy poo poo, never saw that before. And the "Honey the plane going down" thing too. Makes perfect sense.

wait

WHAT

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
Rusty also recognizes Vendata (or Brock in Vendata's costume) as "the metal murder man from my nightmares!" but the Monarch completely ignores him. In fairness, he is single-mindedly freaking out about somebody else trying to torture Rusty at that point.

It makes Bot Seeks Bot all the sadder, poor Vendata has no friends and eats a nutrient slurry and probably almost sentenced his own son to death back when he was one of the unassigned Council silhouettes.

Man, the last episode of this season makes so much more sense now that I know it's essentially the first half of a two-parter. At the end of the last commentary they say "see you in six years!" which barely feels like a joke. :(

Edit: I like to think I would have picked up on more of this stuff if I hadn't had New Parent Brain when watching Season 5 the first time through.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

grilldos posted:

You're right. For the actual seasons they do the traditional cell animation method where they do key frames and then ship poo poo to Korea to be fully animated. They bring up how long Korea takes at every comic-con.

Actually, the last season was animated by Titmouse Studios, the American company that produces Metalocalypse. It was done in Flash, just by more professional animations than the pilot.

Seasons 1-4 were done by the Korean studio.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I still love how the club is owned by Don Hell, who is a play on Don Heck, an old school Marvel cartoonist.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

Actually, the last season was animated by Titmouse Studios, the American company that produces Metalocalypse. It was done in Flash, just by more professional animations than the pilot.

Seasons 1-4 were done by the Korean studio.

I'm pretty sure Titmouse is just assisting in some capacity and not actually replacing Korean animators, because every year Hammer & Publick mention at Comic-con how long Korea takes, and not in their "we're joking" bullshitting tone.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

notZaar posted:

I thought he hated Doc because he was too young to hate Jonas.

No. They never explain why he hates Rusty and they shouldn't.

Ever.

Defeats the purpose. We don't need to know why Monarch hates him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I still love how the club is owned by Don Hell, who is a play on Don Heck, an old school Marvel cartoonist.

It's actually a reference to their other major obsession, the NYC music scene:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/854397

But them being hip nerds pretty much means it's both, I think.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jack Gladney posted:

It's actually a reference to their other major obsession, the NYC music scene:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/854397

But them being hip nerds pretty much means it's both, I think.

Yea, I could see it being both.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shindragon posted:

No. They never explain why he hates Rusty and they shouldn't.

Ever.

Defeats the purpose. We don't need to know why Monarch hates him.

Show all origin stories! That never makes anything less interesting or comes across as anticlimactic or off-tone!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Data Graham posted:

Show all origin stories! That never makes anything less interesting or comes across as anticlimactic or off-tone!

Orb turned out to be pretty great imo

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rusty also recognizes Vendata (or Brock in Vendata's costume) as "the metal murder man from my nightmares!" but the Monarch completely ignores him. In fairness, he is single-mindedly freaking out about somebody else trying to torture Rusty at that point.

It makes Bot Seeks Bot all the sadder, poor Vendata has no friends and eats a nutrient slurry and probably almost sentenced his own son to death back when he was one of the unassigned Council silhouettes.

Also just shows what an absolute rear end in a top hat Jonas Snr actually is

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cat Terrist posted:

Also just shows what an absolute rear end in a top hat Jonas Snr actually is

I figured that was pretty well established in "What Goes Down Must Come Up", among other places.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Rusty also recognizes Vendata (or Brock in Vendata's costume) as "the metal murder man from my nightmares!"

I think that episode has a flashback of Vendata attacking little Rusty. Older Rusty is just remembering that.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

TK-42-1 posted:

Orb turned out to be pretty great imo

They did manage to subvert the expectations by intentionally going for a fun anticlimax, but even though I got a kick out of it the super nerd in me did feel like it made the Orb plot less interesting. I mean, I understand that the whole point originally was to make fun of those convoluted lore mysteries in fiction, but I also found the first Orb episode to be a legitimately fascinating worldbuilding thing. So I'm pretty sure I was destined to be disappointed whenever they brought back the Orb or the OG Guild stuff.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
"Kano? Did you kill Dr Venture Senior?"

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Red posted:

I think that episode has a flashback of Vendata attacking little Rusty. Older Rusty is just remembering that.

Yeah, I think the implication is that Jonas had him working around the compound as slave labor before dumping him. The file Shore Leave looks at lists him as a military prototype.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I love seeing Jonas Sr be even more awful than the last time you saw him, every time we get to see him.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
At some point Jonas Sr. will have gone back in time just to encourage Hitler in 1930 or something

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Nintendo Kid posted:

At some point Jonas Sr. will have gone back in time just to encourage Hitler in 1930 or something
"We accidentally slipped into an alternate timeline where Hitler attended artschool and the Holocaust never happened, and I didn't feel like memorizing a new list of Chancellors of the Weimar Republic. So sue me."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

JT Jag posted:

"We accidentally slipped into an alternate timeline where Hitler attended artschool and the Holocaust never happened, and I didn't feel like memorizing a new list of Chancellors of the Weimar Republic. So sue me."

"Rusty, daddy got his start with some punch-card filing machines that wouldn't have sold nearly as well if there hadn't been a certain very specific market for equipment like that between 1939 and 1944. You like the pool back at home, right?"

He really slid a long way from when he was a well-meaning 60s guy with no idea of what would warp a kid in "Careers in Science," didn't he?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
"Rusty I think you'll see we had to seed the Black Death in medieval Europe before destroying the time machine forever"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

How do you think those Nazis knew about the clone farm in the first place?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

"Attaboy Rusty! Now please, dry your tears and we'll blame the whole thing on Oswald..."

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sash! posted:

Classified ad placed by Rusty.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Sash! posted:

I love seeing Jonas Sr be even more awful than the last time you saw him, every time we get to see him.

I miss the gaint Jonas that rusty would see like when they were on the space station.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Finally finishing up my re-watch of Season Five. Is Vendata the Monarch's dad? Am I way off or did everybody else already figure this out? Venturion was created in 1976 so the timeline makes sense. I didn't think of it until this shot from Bot Meets Bot, though. He looks like the Monarch to me when his mask is knocked off.

I think the intent is to make us think, "whoa, this is Monarch's dad! Has to be!!" And maybe it is. I hope it is, because it does help a few pieces to the puzzle of the Venture universe fit together more nicely. Then again, I wouldn't put it past them to turn this into another Myra-esque red herring. After all, it's not like there is any shortage of Venture veterans who were maimed or killed in some experiment or another, and it's also not like Jonas would balk at using one of them as an experiment or prototype.

Then again, again, they went out of their way to include the Monarch's parents in a couple of the flashbacks, and it seems like once they exit the picture, Venturion/Vendata enters it....

I'm leaning toward him being the Monarch's dad. (But I won't be too surprised if it's just some random person who checked the wrong box on the job application.)

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

"So I hosed him! What of it?"

I do like how Rusty is turning out to be pretty much exactly like Jonas, just worse at it.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Can you really do something that good in Flash? I mean, I know Wakfu was done in Flash, and that looked very good, but even then there was something a bit weird about it. Season 5 of the Venture Bros really look exactly like traditional animation.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Flash is just a tool. How good anything looks is going to be a result of how much effort you put into it. If you use Flash in conjunction with professional character design and animation techniques it'll look good. If you half-rear end it and rely heavily on built in shape and motion tweening it'll probably look what you associate with a typical Flash cartoon.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

As far as I've been told, only two episodes of Venture Brothers were done using flash-like keyframe animation. The pilot, and the Jacket special. Everything else has been traditionally animated.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Superjail was done in Flash, is that puts any of this into perspective.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I mean when you animate in Flash you don't HAVE to use tweens and the stock tools, you can also just use the interface as a way to compile and manage all of the frames of your animation, as well as different scenes etc. Although I've gotta believe there is better software for that, but it might also be a case of animators learning with Flash and then just being familiar with the software when they start doing more advanced stuff.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm an animator and all my cartoons are done in Flash using frame by frame animation. I hand draw them with a Wacom tablet. A number of shows are animated like this, but Venture Bros is still done by Digital Emation in Korea if the credits are to be believed. Titmouse might just do the keyframes and the like while Digital Emation does the inbetweens.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
The only way I can really tell when a show is using flash is the herky jerky movement you would think people knew how to reduce the jerkiness of it?

Do over Ham
Mar 20, 2009

Sash! posted:

theflyingexecutive posted:

Classified ad placed by Rusty.

craigslist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Guildlist

:tinfoil: Rusty actually signed Killinger's blood pact.