Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpeckledJim
Oct 30, 2011
Are you kidding?!

TREEEEEEE FOOOOOORT, without question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Treee foooorrrt

Cultural demand be damned. Nothin's cooler than a fort in a tree

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Antistar01 posted:

With the way I've played the game, outposts weren't really important, so I don't really know the ~pro strats~... sounds like building defensively is a good idea though.

The defensive strategy to use with outposts is to make it impossible to get to your base without venturing into the outpost's radius. Once you extend the firebomb or land mine or whatever radius on your outposts you can make a great buffer area. Anything that DOES make it across the no-zombies-land is easily finished off. Your base will be almost hordeproof.

It's easy to do this at Snyder's, because hordes don't really come at it from the north and west, IIRC. Snyder's gives you the full 8 outposts so you can leave one in the original area, one in the northern area we haven't been to yet, (which has the last possible home site, IIRC, but is closer to endgame anyway) and one floating outpost you can pop if you need to.

The Alamo doesn't have as many possible outposts, and is surrounded on all sides.

Do it.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The defensive strategy to use with outposts is to make it impossible to get to your base without venturing into the outpost's radius. Once you extend the firebomb or land mine or whatever radius on your outposts you can make a great buffer area. Anything that DOES make it across the no-zombies-land is easily finished off. Your base will be almost hordeproof.

It's easy to do this at Snyder's, because hordes don't really come at it from the north and west, IIRC. Snyder's gives you the full 8 outposts so you can leave one in the original area, one in the northern area we haven't been to yet, (which has the last possible home site, IIRC, but is closer to endgame anyway) and one floating outpost you can pop if you need to.

The Alamo doesn't have as many possible outposts, and is surrounded on all sides.

Do it.

The Alamo is pretty defensible actually! McCready sucks though and if you guys had voted for that I would have been cranky. :3:

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

skoolmunkee posted:

The Alamo is pretty defensible actually! McCready sucks though and if you guys had voted for that I would have been cranky. :3:

We actually want to see what happens in this LP, not just "how many more people will die while Skoolmunkee isn't playing for a week." Which I'm pretty sure would happen constantly at McCready's. No defense, no scavenging.

I did have a question, in my playthrough I actually had Enclaves set up in some of the Homesites after I moved. Can you kick them out after that, or once they're in are you screwed if you want to move in there? I never tried because they moved into the one by the church and I was already at Snyders'.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Still processing but another update!

There's still a few days to vote on a homesite before I record again. Still not enough people for Snyder, though.

---

Gracie Kirsten - Maya's pod person
Foreman (tools), No Nonsense (+wits), Bum Knee (-crouching)

Edwin Grossman - "Don't mention clowns around him." No problem
Powerhouse

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess Alamo because in my playthrough I went straight to Savini and that worked just fine. The guard tower is pretty useful there.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I don't know if any spawn in story mode but one of the best characters in Breakdown is a female powerhouse.

Amelia Crasman. :allears:

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
These people get along too well and are generally not-shitbag. This is all wrong for zombie apoc setting.

There should be a setup where you do more Walking Dead things like infect arrows and bullets and go gently caress up the Army and local law enforcement.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
That mission to get Lily's watch always seems to go wrong/roughly. You have to go a long way from home base, and it's swarming with zombies.

Also I've never managed to make that jump across the broken bridge. I just end up with a car upside down in the river.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

This game owns, you two own, this LP owns bones.

Yeah you totally convinced me to pick this game up.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Wiseblood posted:

I don't know if any spawn in story mode but one of the best characters in Breakdown is a female powerhouse.

There are three-ish random female survivors with random naming who can get powerhouse in story mode.

:eng101:

Hotwire fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 29, 2014

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I wonder if Doc Hanson's 'Only fitting that I took him out' line is a reference to Hot Fuzz; made by the guys who did Shaun of the Dead.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Marcus is getting a whole lot of use out of that Alabama Slam. Too bad there's no wrestling move for the fat zombies, that could be a lot of fun.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spudd posted:

This game owns, you two own, this LP owns bones.

Yeah you totally convinced me to pick this game up.

Yeah I've been on the fence about this game for a long time but after watching the LP so far it'll likely end up in my Steam backlog next sale.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, watching a juggernaut try to get through your little entry gate was definitely worth the price of admission.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Glazius posted:

Okay, watching a juggernaut try to get through your little entry gate was definitely worth the price of admission.

He was awfully cute. :3:

J.theYellow posted:

These people get along too well and are generally not-shitbag. This is all wrong for zombie apoc setting.

They know that if they get outta line I'm gonna kick em out.

Wiseblood posted:

How did I forget Amelia???

fullTimeLurker posted:

We actually want to see what happens in this LP, not just "how many more people will die while Skoolmunkee isn't playing for a week." Which I'm pretty sure would happen constantly at McCready's. No defense, no scavenging.

I did have a question, in my playthrough I actually had Enclaves set up in some of the Homesites after I moved. Can you kick them out after that, or once they're in are you screwed if you want to move in there? I never tried because they moved into the one by the church and I was already at Snyders'.

The ability to cram materials into vehicles while scavenging, making longer trips much more viable, nullifies the remoteness of the farmhouse a good bit! Then you just have the horde problems, which aren't a problem while the game is off.

Anyway yeah to the best of my knowledge, once an enclave settles in a homebase, you can't move in til they're out. But if it happens I'll double check!

--------

Since October is spooky monster month, I think maybe I should do some State of Decay streaming on a couple Saturday nights maybe? I'd be playing Breakdown (and avoiding getting any story-spoiling Heroes). I haven't touched Lifeline so that might make for good streaming, after the main LP is over though.

Also Undead Labs says that SoD has sold 2 million copies (without even advertising) so good for them. :3: It seems to go on sale on Steam a lot, so if you're waitin for that, keep an eye out!

I sat on my hands a lil bit makin the next update but it's happening. I'm uh.... I'm leaving you in suspensssssseeeee

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
Thanks for the thread skoolmunkee, I was sold on this game after a few videos and am enjoying it way more than I should. It's this weird combination of everything I liked about Dead Rising, TLoU, and Don't Starve without the negatives. And it's charmingly glitchy/low budget to boot!

I vote for TREE FORT because that's obviously the most tactical decision.

I took Jacob on the mission to retrieve their father's watch, and even though I was playing as his son he said "tell me about your father" anyway. Then he got murdered. Sorry Jacob, you forgot your dad and paid the price.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Axe Master posted:

I took Jacob on the mission to retrieve their father's watch, and even though I was playing as his son he said "tell me about your father" anyway. Then he got murdered. Sorry Jacob, you forgot your dad and paid the price.

He must have been aiming with his hand.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Glory of Arioch posted:

He must have been aiming with his hand.

Should have aimed with his eye.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 13, 2014

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Axe Master posted:

Yeah, I noticed when I took Jacob on a later mission not shown yet that he was asking Lily about stuff he should clearly know about already. It appears that taking Maya to meet the Army the first time is the only character unique dialog in the game.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I do wish they'd expand on the backstories some more. Also I regret everything after choosing double-kill on Marcus and watching this video :(

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Hello, sorry this was delayed but after you watch it you will be like, "skoo this episode was worth the wait." Guys this episode is so funny. Where's my youtube dollars.

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
I think you only get half of the youtube dollars, despite how well the video delivers.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I prefer the spin kick because it can trivialize every special zombie except the Big Bastard and the bloater into a five second encounter.

e: Also it doesn't only hit one zombie; it can hit every zombie in a small arc in front of the character. Not as ridiculous as the sweep, but still pretty good.

As for Leapfrog v. Instant Counter: I've never been able to make Instant Counter work, ever. If it's possible, I vote for that just to see what I've been doing wrong.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 13, 2014

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Skoo this episode was worth the wait. I guess Maya's half the fighter Ed ever was.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Top quality episode from a top quality person.

Axe Master
Jun 1, 2008

Shred ya later!
Maya :(

Two things of note:

- The bloater poo-gas lingers in your car, if you leave it will stop doing damage pretty much immediately. It's really loving annoying.

- There are female powerhouses, I stumbled upon one with the unfortunate name of Delaney the other day. No sexism in this game :eng101:

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Companion comic series: The Adventures of Omar Coronado

That guy is everywhere, always in trouble. What is he looking for? What is his story? Why does he keep getting into pickle after pickle?

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Holy poo poo - Maya. :stare:

I love Nimble characters; they get such useful moves. Sweep-kick is my favourite attack in the game.

I had to look up what that "I remember the Alamo" reference was; a Pee-Wee Herman movie from when I was only four years old, looks like? I guess that's why I couldn't place it.

whowhatwhere posted:

As for Leapfrog v. Instant Counter: I've never been able to make Instant Counter work, ever. If it's possible, I vote for that just to see what I've been doing wrong.

I think I have had it work, but it's temperamental to the point of being pretty much useless. Leapfrog is okay in that it works, but there's not much reason to use it if you've got sweep-kick.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah if you evacuate the car immediately after driving through bloater gas you avoid most of the damage, its annoying though. Not a big fan of the leg swipe attack for blade weapons, though its really godlike on heavy weapons.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Skoolmunkee that was one of the best LP videos I have ever seen.

Omar Coronado is a really oddly specific name. I wonder if it's one of the developers or something, which is why it has the same model each time.

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

OwlFancier posted:

If that's how you play cataclysm we might have to have words.

The correct way to play cataclysm is to drink all the booze, and then when you can't drink any more, light it on fire and throw it indiscriminately. Then go find some drugs and shoot up, and die in a drug and alcohol fuelled orgy of violence as you get absolutely wrecked on crystal meth and hit zombies with a weed whacker while hallucinating about your zombie mom.

No no no, you fill several shopping carts full of the booze, then you weld them to the back of a Volkswagon Beetle and drive that around until you get some bionics for a lab, THEN you drink the booze and use it to shoot lasers from your fingers and punch things into space with hydraulic muscles.

Then you go on GitHub and edit .json files to add more things to punch to the game.

Skoolmunkee- That bit with the molotov was absolutely top-notch. Have you considered the Badass Edd Mod?

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Oct 13, 2014

countzio
Jan 30, 2014

gnome7 posted:

Omar Coronado is a really oddly specific name. I wonder if it's one of the developers or something, which is why it has the same model each time.

I could swear that they all have the same "loves tailgating" trait too. Who IS that mysterious man anyway?

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.

Keldoclock posted:

No no no, you fill several shopping carts full of the booze, then you weld them to the back of a Volkswagon Beetle and drive that around until you get some bionics for a lab, THEN you drink the booze and use it to shoot lasers from your fingers and punch things into space with hydraulic muscles.

Then you go on GitHub and edit .json files to add more things to punch to the game.

Skoolmunkee- That bit with the molotov was absolutely top-notch. Have you considered the Badass Edd Mod?

If Edd stopped looking like a pudgy accountant, he wouldn't be badass any more :colbert:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Keldoclock posted:

That is a pretty cute mod but I think Skippy will agree that when an accountant's badassery defies his elderly-baby-faced appearance, it's even better.

gnome7 posted:

Skoolmunkee that was one of the best LP videos I have ever seen.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Top quality episode from a top quality person.

Thank you darlings. :3: I'm pretty proud of it so I'm glad you guys especially enjoyed it!

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah if you evacuate the car immediately after driving through bloater gas you avoid most of the damage, its annoying though.

Yeah! I didn't really explain fully, but that works. It was more an illustration of the danger of driving blindly through zombies- might hit a Bloater. Also, I'm not sure why it hasn't been implemented in the main game, but in Breakdown if you get gas-clouded you're likely to get sick.

Antistar01 posted:

I love Nimble characters; they get such useful moves. Sweep-kick is my favourite attack in the game.

I had to look up what that "I remember the Alamo" reference was; a Pee-Wee Herman movie from when I was only four years old, looks like? I guess that's why I couldn't place it.

I think I have had it work, but it's temperamental to the point of being pretty much useless. Leapfrog is okay in that it works, but there's not much reason to use it if you've got sweep-kick.
Nimble characters are my favorite! Powerhouses are super useful but they're not spry. I've had the same experience with the counter-attack (temperamental) vs. leapfrog. TBH I rarely end up using either.

Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is a quality film and if you remember one thing from the movie, remember the Alamo.

Doobie Keebler posted:

Skoo this episode was worth the wait. I guess Maya's half the fighter Ed ever was.
Aaaa haa haaaa nice one :3:

-----

Do you guys wanna input on which plot missions we should pick up on first? We've got:

Wilkerson missions (go accuse gun-toting felons of committing crimes of opportunity)
Courthouse missions (go see who this lady is who wants to take our guns and impose law)
Grange missions (HAS ANYBODY SEEN JACK YET?!)
Army missions (nothing active currently)

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

skoolmunkee posted:

Wilkerson
missions (go accuse gun-toting felons of committing crimes of opportunity)
Voting for this and that we get Leapfrog since Instant Counter is really finicky.

And Ed's awesome montage at the end (almost) made it up for Maya. :cheeky:

radintorov fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 13, 2014

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
All I want right now is a video tour of our new place.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Courthouse missions!

Also, alas, poor Maya, she had to split :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I've never had it happen, but apparently it's possible for a soldier in Lifeline to spawn with both Powerhouse AND Reflexes.

• Locked thread