Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
This is probably one of the most hair-raising takeoffs I've seen, thank goodness for T/W ratio I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koXL3HGqOss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Godholio posted:

Utter loving bullshit.

Admittedly my experience in military affairs is limited to being in Air Cadets as a kid, but if the Air Force needs to save a bit of money and they figure they don't really need 3 squadrons of these trainers and can get by fine with two, why is it bullshit? Other than missing the cool GI Joe paint jobs? (which are cool, don't get me wrong)

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Gibfender posted:

This is probably one of the most hair-raising takeoffs I've seen, thank goodness for T/W ratio I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koXL3HGqOss

Same pilot one year later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuFmTPdIE2k

quote:

Neil Anderson belly landed the second prototype on the grass in front of GD on May 8th, 1975 while doing a practice show before Paris. On takeoff, he did what was then an unique maneuver... almost as the wheels left the ground, the gear was cycled, the aircraft put into a 270 degree roll, then immediately placed into a 9g turn. Unfortunately, one of the tires was slightly out of balance, and this combined with the abnormal torque on the gear from being in a roll caused one of the main gear tires to jam on a ledge when it entered the wheel well.

Neil had no choice but to put the wheels up, and put it down in the dirt, right in front of thousands of GD employees and their families. He was unhurt, but the damage to the hand-built prototype was too expensive to repair.

According to John Williams:
"Neal's gear-up landing was more embarassing than is generally known. The day before, during a practice air show, the landing gear hit a small bracket in the wheel well and knocked it off. No one thought much about why it happened, but were mainly concerned with preventing it from happening again. So, what did they do? Strengthen the bracket of course. Then, the next day, when the gear again struck the bracket, it jammed against it. No amount of high g or rolling maneuvers freed it, so it was landed gear up. Neal wanted to stay up longer and try to free the gear, but ran out of fuel. Only about 5 gallons were found in the tanks after the landing. There was a USAF KC-135 sitting at the end of the runway on alert with engines running, but it was not allowed to take off because it was over weight. It probably did not matter, as the gear was well-jammed into the bracket."

http://www.f-16.net/f-16_versions_article25.html

e: bonus quote

quote:

YF-16 Wheels Up Landing.
The airplane would have been only slightly damaged except it hit a ditch during the slide-out which broke the fuselage structure in the middle.

One other important piece of damage occurred: When Neil Anderson got out he threw his $300 specially-painted helmet on the ground in disgust. It was then run over by one of the rescue vehicles.

The USAF accident board criticized Anderson for landing with only 5 gallons of fuel left. He replied it didn't matter since he planned to shut the engine down anyway to avoid damage. Another criticism was that he used profanity on the radio when he begged the KC-135, cleared for the mission personally by the SAC Commander, to take off immediately and give him some gas. The pilot replied his wartime load exceeded the allowed max gross takeoff weight in peacetime and he was still dumping fuel onto the grass at the end of the runway.. Neil said he could live with that on his conscience.

Submitted by Thomas H. Clark, a GD engineer.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Linedance posted:

Admittedly my experience in military affairs is limited to being in Air Cadets as a kid, but if the Air Force needs to save a bit of money and they figure they don't really need 3 squadrons of these trainers and can get by fine with two, why is it bullshit? Other than missing the cool GI Joe paint jobs? (which are cool, don't get me wrong)

They aren't trainers, they're Aggressors. The pilots who fly them train extensively to model and mimic the tactics of various "bad guy" air forces (think countries who fly planes with a red star). The reason the USAF has been so dominant at air combat over the past 25 years isn't because we have great technology, it's because we spend a shitload of money on providing training, and we spend even more money on ensuring that the value of that training is high. It's all well and good to spend plenty of time tooling around the sky because you had lots of flying money, but the real value-added comes when you are faced with someone flying a plane in a manner in which you have never seen before (i.e., "threat" tactics as opposed to USAF tactics). That's why AGRS are such value-added assets.

Because of budget realities that require the prioritization of acquisitions over everything else, we've been forced to cut training (cancelling Red Flags, shuttering an AGRS, curtailing WIC, etc). In the opinion of many (including Godholio and myself), this is extremely short-sighted and stupid.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

They aren't trainers, they're Aggressors. The pilots who fly them train extensively to model and mimic the tactics of various "bad guy" air forces (think countries who fly planes with a red star). The reason the USAF has been so dominant at air combat over the past 25 years isn't because we have great technology, it's because we spend a shitload of money on providing training, and we spend even more money on ensuring that the value of that training is high. It's all well and good to spend plenty of time tooling around the sky because you had lots of flying money, but the real value-added comes when you are faced with someone flying a plane in a manner in which you have never seen before (i.e., "threat" tactics as opposed to USAF tactics). That's why AGRS are such value-added assets.

Because of budget realities that require the prioritization of acquisitions over everything else, we've been forced to cut training (cancelling Red Flags, shuttering an AGRS, curtailing WIC, etc). In the opinion of many (including Godholio and myself), this is extremely short-sighted and stupid.

oh yeah I get that, I called them trainers because their role is training, they aren't combat aircraft (though I guess they could sent to war if the need was great enough). I'm in agreement that cutting training in any discipline is generally a bad, and only really a way of getting short term gains at the expense of future capability, I'm just thinking that maybe a 3rd squadron is genuinely superfluous. Probably not, but you know, maybe it's not so bad as it seems?

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Awww you can see the moment her back breaks. :(

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If the US is ever embroiled in a war so Ace Combat that they have to send out the aggressor squadrons it's probably a really bad time for everyone on the ground and only truly resolvable through either trench runs or the judicious use of Jeff Goldblum and a laptop.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

iyaayas01 posted:

I know they were canceled last year, but at least by looking at peoples' photos it seems like there have been 2-3 Red Flags this year already? (Not to comment on your overall point.)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Linedance posted:

oh yeah I get that, I called them trainers because their role is training, they aren't combat aircraft (though I guess they could sent to war if the need was great enough). I'm in agreement that cutting training in any discipline is generally a bad, and only really a way of getting short term gains at the expense of future capability, I'm just thinking that maybe a 3rd squadron is genuinely superfluous. Probably not, but you know, maybe it's not so bad as it seems?

No. As someone who has flown in exercises against them, I can tell you that there are times where they already don't have enough. Of the three squadrons, two were at Nellis AFB in Nevada, supporting the main Red Flag exercises, the USAF Weapons School (sort of like Top Gun), occasionally assisting the Navy with their exercises in that area of the country (Air Wing Fallon and NSAWC-the school of which Top Gun is one part) and the Marines' Weapons Training Instructor Course, which is their version of Top Gun. The other aggressor squadron is in Alaska, doing the same type of work, but providing it in a different environment and to units that, because they actively have a real mission at all times, they can't go TDY to Nevada. The Air Force used to have other aggressor squadrons, but consolidated all this work into these two locations because of budget cuts. So we're already around 50% of what we had 20 years ago. We used to have probably a dozen major exercises around the world. Now we're down to 2 or so Red Flags (the premier aerial exercise anywhere in the world), maybe two Red Flag Alaskas, and overseas COPE exercises don't even happen every year anymore. These events are directly tied to the Air Force's radical improvement during the Vietnam War and the dominance displayed in every conflict since. Similar training efforts (which were not permanent) can also be found during Korea, where the USAF went from getting its poo poo pushed in to racking up a loving 10:1 kill ratio (the introduction of the F-86 was also a factor).

In short, aside from the ICBM, this is the single most important and effective tool the USAF has. This is the tool that led to the AF turning its performance in Vietnam around. This is the tool that led to the F-15 being undefeated in American hands (and Israeli, indirectly). This is the tool that was developed by sifting through the wreckage and remains of American pilots in the loving jungle and having leadership that had the balls to fight for its people. And it's being cut, I suspect, by people who have never set foot on a military aircraft.

I suspect that in my career I've attended more major exercises at Nellis than that base will host in the next three years combined. And that's loving sad. I still have a lot of friends who are doing the same job I was, and some of them haven't been to a real air-to-air exercise in 2-3 years. I was an instructor and managed my squadron's predeployment training for a couple of years, so I still talk shop with these guys, and they have nothing of value anymore. It's gotten so "do more with less" that it's more like "do everything you did before except you're not going to get any off-station training and we're not even going to develop a simulator event for it...you do it all."

So the short answer is, if the Air Force thinks they can keep making cuts like this, they're absolutely WRONG. There's already a significant decrease in both the quality and quantity of training. The Aggressors were the perfect example of that military cliche, the force multiplier. Simply by existing they made everyone better.

Edit: It may be worth noting that for several years we saw our flying hours cut by 10-15% per year, with the explanation that we'd make up for the lost training by attending multiple exercising during pre-deployment training (instead of spreading it out over the year like you'd normally do). Now the exercises are going away, but the flying hours aren't coming back. They're still being cut. There are situations that have developed in the past years that don't belong on public boards but if I ran into IYAAYAS in a bar I could probably make him spit beer and/or poo poo his pants.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 28, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

To play devil's (Congress's?) advocate has dissimilar combat training been useful since Vietnam?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Well, the USAF hasn't had a single aerial loss since '72 or '73. Opportunities were there but limited. It's kind of hard to prove. However the loss rate in Vietnam was 5 times lower than in Korea.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

So exactly what the gently caress is being done with all of the money being set aside for "defense"? Just funneling into defense contractor pockets through stupid programs?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

fknlo posted:

So exactly what the gently caress is being done with all of the money being set aside for "defense"? Just funneling into defense contractor pockets through stupid programs?

The military-industrial complex has begun to suck money away from the actual military now, yes

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A fair amount of it, sure. There are a billion charts online that break down military spending. What those charts don't do is break down what training is useful and what's not.

There were many occasions where our fighters cancelled before we took off, usually because they had bad weather to deal with. Without any aircraft to control, my team of 2-6 officers and I had nothing to do or contribute. But because it was getting more difficult to fly because the hours were getting cut, a rule was established that EVERY seat on the jet would be filled to maximize training. So we couldn't come off the flight and catch up on the stacks of paperwork we had to do since there were no more personnelists anymore. We had to fly that 9 hour mission and try to shoehorn a half-assed simulator event in (we can run sim on the AWACS system). I say half-assed because we're given a small handbook on how to do it but only like half an hour of actual training is allocated in the syllabus. And the people running the sim (typing in the command lines to make each plane turn or shoot or whatever) are also the people trying to practice tactical aircraft control, it's drat near worthless.

But on paper, it counts as a loving control event and you get 9 hrs towards gaining "experienced" status which actually puts you in a different category that requires literally half the training events (ie, only 1 flight per month instead of 2 for inexperienced crew members) and makes you eligible for a new crew position. Officially it does not matter if the training was absolutely worthless.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Is Aggressor pilot the most coveted fighter pilot job? because as a layperson it seems like far and away the coolest job in the military as a whole.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Godholio posted:

A fair amount of it, sure. There are a billion charts online that break down military spending. What those charts don't do is break down what training is useful and what's not.

There were many occasions where our fighters cancelled before we took off, usually because they had bad weather to deal with. Without any aircraft to control, my team of 2-6 officers and I had nothing to do or contribute. But because it was getting more difficult to fly because the hours were getting cut, a rule was established that EVERY seat on the jet would be filled to maximize training. So we couldn't come off the flight and catch up on the stacks of paperwork we had to do since there were no more personnelists anymore. We had to fly that 9 hour mission and try to shoehorn a half-assed simulator event in (we can run sim on the AWACS system). I say half-assed because we're given a small handbook on how to do it but only like half an hour of actual training is allocated in the syllabus. And the people running the sim (typing in the command lines to make each plane turn or shoot or whatever) are also the people trying to practice tactical aircraft control, it's drat near worthless.

But on paper, it counts as a loving control event and you get 9 hrs towards gaining "experienced" status which actually puts you in a different category that requires literally half the training events (ie, only 1 flight per month instead of 2 for inexperienced crew members) and makes you eligible for a new crew position. Officially it does not matter if the training was absolutely worthless.

I mean, everything you said is completely valid and definitely qualifies as 'what's wrong with the world', but to someone who's only experience is outside the military, it just sounds like 'mmhmm, yes, that does sound like what every job I or anyone else I know has ever had is like'. Sucks, but whatcha gonna do?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Die. Possibly kill a bunch of innocent people. Maybe lose a war.

Edit: it's easy to shrug it off and pretend it's no big deal, because it hasn't HAD to be a big deal in decades. The US military hasn't been challenged conventionally since Korea. The problem is that when our shortfalls become apparent it's too late, it's bloody, and it's expensive in dollars and lives to recover. And due to the high tech and complicated nature of modern war and equipment, it's going to be even worse in every way when it happens AGAIN. This is a lesson that's relearned every few decades, then forgotten. And every time, the lesson is more brutally hammered home.

Fun mental exercise: what would Putin's hobby be if more than 3 NATOS members were meeting their military obligations and Europe hadn't run out of bombs on a crazy weekend in Libya?

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 28, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Linedance posted:

I mean, everything you said is completely valid and definitely qualifies as 'what's wrong with the world', but to someone who's only experience is outside the military, it just sounds like 'mmhmm, yes, that does sound like what every job I or anyone else I know has ever had is like'. Sucks, but whatcha gonna do?

2 pages ago: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Black_Hawk_shootdown_incident

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
edit: wrong thread.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Heh it's the very first lawn dart :smug:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Godholio posted:

Fun mental exercise: what would Putin's hobby be if more than 3 NATOS members were meeting their military obligations and Europe hadn't run out of bombs on a crazy weekend in Libya?

I'm not sure there'd be much of a difference. Putin's a risk-taker and Ukraine isn't a NATO member regardless.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

fknlo posted:

Defense money continues to drop as SS/Medicare expenses run away. National defense was 16% of federal spending in 1999, the lowest point of the 'end of history' post-Cold-War cuts, and that was with all the tail-end Cold War equipment still pretty new. In 2019, with all the poo poo we already know is going on in the world and lord knows what'll surprise us, and with nearly every hard piece of gear we own falling apart from abuse and old age, defense is projected to be around 12%.

hobbesmaster posted:

To play devil's (Congress's?) advocate has dissimilar combat training been useful since Vietnam?

Don't underestimate deterrence. The best wars are the ones where the enemy looks at you and decides you're so badass they're not even going to play.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Don't underestimate deterrence. The best wars are the ones where the enemy looks at you and decides you're so badass they're not even going to play.

Or the ones where the enemy doesn't even bother looking at you, because you're a non-factor. And whether you're think it's right or wrong, the fact is, the US has always had a significant portion of its populace and politicians who have asked "why the hell are we getting involved in this, it has nothing to do with us".
I get that if you're in the military, you want to be in the biggest, baddest military that there is, but the people running the show probably figure it's much more cost effective to have one of the biggest and baddest militaries, and let someone else spend the money to be top dog, as long as they play nice and don't bother us too much. Oh and also while they're spending the money, they might as well buy our poo poo, cuz then we'll all be loaded.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Linedance posted:

Or the ones where the enemy doesn't even bother looking at you, because you're a non-factor. And whether you're think it's right or wrong, the fact is, the US has always had a significant portion of its populace and politicians who have asked "why the hell are we getting involved in this, it has nothing to do with us".
I get that if you're in the military, you want to be in the biggest, baddest military that there is, but the people running the show probably figure it's much more cost effective to have one of the biggest and baddest militaries, and let someone else spend the money to be top dog, as long as they play nice and don't bother us too much. Oh and also while they're spending the money, they might as well buy our poo poo, cuz then we'll all be loaded.

It's not really a discussion for this thread, but the past tennish years are exhibit A of why this does not and will not work.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Not only that, but that's absolutely not the mindset of the people making these decisions. If it were, that'd be better.

But nobody is pushing NATO to pick up the slack.

Nobody is pushing for an isolationist policy. Obama couldn't stay out of Iraq for two loving years!

I've said for a long time that the military needs to be cut. But those cuts absolutely HAVE TO be accompanied by reductions in operational commitments. What we are once again seeing is an increase in commitments (Iraq and Africa in addition to the pivot to Asia, South American ops, and Afghanistan) while personnel, equipment, and training quality continue to be reduced.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

fknlo posted:

Yes. GAO predictions cast the cost of maintaining the F-35 fleet at about 80% more than the cost of maintaining the five fleets it'll replace -- A-10, F-15, F-16, F/A-18, Harrier. That's for a total of 2443 aircraft, while the legacy fleets count a total of over 3000 of the "legacy" aircraft across the three branches and the five denominations. So 20% less aircraft, 80% more cost.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godholio posted:

Nobody is pushing for an isolationist policy.

Obama promised to get out of Iraq when elected. He did it. Now Iraq went to poo poo and everyone in congress wants him to go back in and public polls seem to be coming around too. You can't win!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

Obama promised to get out of Iraq when elected. He did it. Now Iraq went to poo poo and everyone in congress wants him to go back in and public polls seem to be coming around too. You can't win!

This isn't the thread for that debate, so I'm just going to assume you're being sarcastic about everything in this post.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

YF19pilot posted:

When it comes to calculating "acceptable loses" money is almost never a parameter when dealing with the human side of things. Money may dictate decisions regarding material loses, but generally never personnel.
Yeah, this isn't true. A contractor recently offered a defensive system for my aircraft. We decided not to buy it because of cost. My aircraft is not survivable in a crash, and we don't have parachutes.

What that means is

(Projected combat hours over the system lifespan) x (Probability of a MANPADS event per combat flight hour) x (the average Pk of a MANPADS system) x (airframe cost + ops impact + the cost of one crew) < (baseline cost to acquire the system) + (training expenses) + (cost to operate the system per flight hour) x (Projected flight hours over the system lifespan)

The military can and does calculate how much one crew dog's life is worth. Of course, people start to get very upset when you talk about applying the same math to O&M costs and the lives of people in Afghanistan.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

No. As someone who has flown in exercises against them, I can tell you that there are times where they already don't have enough. Of the three squadrons, two were at Nellis AFB in Nevada, supporting the main Red Flag exercises, the USAF Weapons School (sort of like Top Gun), occasionally assisting the Navy with their exercises in that area of the country (Air Wing Fallon and NSAWC-the school of which Top Gun is one part) and the Marines' Weapons Training Instructor Course, which is their version of Top Gun. The other aggressor squadron is in Alaska, doing the same type of work, but providing it in a different environment and to units that, because they actively have a real mission at all times, they can't go TDY to Nevada. The Air Force used to have other aggressor squadrons, but consolidated all this work into these two locations because of budget cuts. So we're already around 50% of what we had 20 years ago. We used to have probably a dozen major exercises around the world. Now we're down to 2 or so Red Flags (the premier aerial exercise anywhere in the world), maybe two Red Flag Alaskas, and overseas COPE exercises don't even happen every year anymore. These events are directly tied to the Air Force's radical improvement during the Vietnam War and the dominance displayed in every conflict since. Similar training efforts (which were not permanent) can also be found during Korea, where the USAF went from getting its poo poo pushed in to racking up a loving 10:1 kill ratio (the introduction of the F-86 was also a factor).

In short, aside from the ICBM, this is the single most important and effective tool the USAF has. This is the tool that led to the AF turning its performance in Vietnam around. This is the tool that led to the F-15 being undefeated in American hands (and Israeli, indirectly). This is the tool that was developed by sifting through the wreckage and remains of American pilots in the loving jungle and having leadership that had the balls to fight for its people. And it's being cut, I suspect, by people who have never set foot on a military aircraft.

I suspect that in my career I've attended more major exercises at Nellis than that base will host in the next three years combined. And that's loving sad. I still have a lot of friends who are doing the same job I was, and some of them haven't been to a real air-to-air exercise in 2-3 years. I was an instructor and managed my squadron's predeployment training for a couple of years, so I still talk shop with these guys, and they have nothing of value anymore. It's gotten so "do more with less" that it's more like "do everything you did before except you're not going to get any off-station training and we're not even going to develop a simulator event for it...you do it all."

So the short answer is, if the Air Force thinks they can keep making cuts like this, they're absolutely WRONG. There's already a significant decrease in both the quality and quantity of training. The Aggressors were the perfect example of that military cliche, the force multiplier. Simply by existing they made everyone better.

Edit: It may be worth noting that for several years we saw our flying hours cut by 10-15% per year, with the explanation that we'd make up for the lost training by attending multiple exercising during pre-deployment training (instead of spreading it out over the year like you'd normally do). Now the exercises are going away, but the flying hours aren't coming back. They're still being cut. There are situations that have developed in the past years that don't belong on public boards but if I ran into IYAAYAS in a bar I could probably make him spit beer and/or poo poo his pants.

Couple things to add to this...

First, even if we did have enough in sheer numbers of aggressor tails, having F-15s flying as aggressors opens up a whole new realm of capes and further dissimilar tactics for red air that you just don't get with F-16s. There's only so much a single engined fighter half the weight of a Flanker can do to mimic it.

Second, I was working RF-A at the height of sequestration. It was depressing how many units would send reps to planning conferences and be like "yeah, there's about a 98% chance we're not going to get to play but we sent a rep just so we'd be prepared to go in case money falls out of the sky because that's how badly we need this event." There was one Tier I Flag where the number of Aussie/Brit/Canuck and USN/USMC units participating actually outnumbered the number of USAF participants. That's loving sad.

Third, it's so bad that even exercises that are only biennial (things like Northern Edge or Talisman Saber/Sabre) are being cut or severely curtailed. These were events that, in a perfect world, we would host annually because what they do are so important but, even prior to the past 3-4 years, we could only afford to hold them every two years. Now a lot of the time we don't hold them at all or they're so diminished that it's hardly even worth the effort.

Godholio posted:

Die. Possibly kill a bunch of innocent people. Maybe lose a war.

Edit: it's easy to shrug it off and pretend it's no big deal, because it hasn't HAD to be a big deal in decades. The US military hasn't been challenged conventionally since Korea. The problem is that when our shortfalls become apparent it's too late, it's bloody, and it's expensive in dollars and lives to recover. And due to the high tech and complicated nature of modern war and equipment, it's going to be even worse in every way when it happens AGAIN. This is a lesson that's relearned every few decades, then forgotten. And every time, the lesson is more brutally hammered home.

We've made this point before, but by far the worst thing to ever happen to the USAF has been how good we have been the past 30 years.

It's really easy for people to take you for granted when you're so dominant people bury their planes instead of fight you.

Arcella posted:

Is Aggressor pilot the most coveted fighter pilot job? because as a layperson it seems like far and away the coolest job in the military as a whole.

I dunno if I'd say it's the most coveted, because it's kind of one of those things where you have to have a certain mind-set to do it...the type of person who aspires to be a T-bird pilot probably isn't going to have flying in an AGRS high on the list of things he wants to do, and vice-versa.

That said, yes, they don't just take any schlub, and they are very very good at what they do. They also go all in on the "bad guy" thing. Wearing PLAAF hats in briefings, playing the Soviet anthem in their bar, stuff like that.

e: One last point on the aggressor thing...the Navy, with a much smaller total number of fighters compared to the USAF, is still maintaining three aggressor squadrons (VFC-12 at Oceana, VFC-13 at Fallon, and VFC-111 at Key West) plus the red air guys assigned directly to NSAWC (also at Fallon), AND spends a much larger amount of money on contracted aggressors like ATAC.

Priorities.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 28, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like to think they speak with a real exaggerated Russian accent too :haw:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They actually collect intelligence on the "good guys" during exercises and use it in their own planning. Then in the debriefs afterwards they show you what they collected. Things like the frag (the literal list of every plane, callsign, loadout, takeoff time, time on target, altitude blocks, etc) made quite an impression when it shows up in that portion of the debrief.

One time they had pictures posing on our flight deck. :downs:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

iyaayas01 posted:

Couple things to add to this...

First, even if we did have enough in sheer numbers of aggressor tails, having F-15s flying as aggressors opens up a whole new realm of capes and further dissimilar tactics for red air that you just don't get with F-16s. There's only so much a single engined fighter half the weight of a Flanker can do to mimic it.

Second, I was working RF-A at the height of sequestration. It was depressing how many units would send reps to planning conferences and be like "yeah, there's about a 98% chance we're not going to get to play but we sent a rep just so we'd be prepared to go in case money falls out of the sky because that's how badly we need this event." There was one Tier I Flag where the number of Aussie/Brit/Canuck and USN/USMC units participating actually outnumbered the number of USAF participants. That's loving sad.

To add even more to this:

Someone will point it that sim training is way better today than it was thirty years ago. Yes, this is true, but it still doesn't hold a candle to live air training. Even SAM crews sitting in an air conditioned box get way more out of live air than Sim, and they don't even have to deal with things like realistic g forces, picking things up visually irl, vs on a graphic simulator, etc.

Patriot used to go take part in WTI at last once per year, if not twice per year. It was awesome, as both our operators and the pilots would surprise each other on a regular basis. We stopped going, due to cost and deployment cycles. We nearly started going again about three years ago. But then sending THAAD to Guam, deploying a battery to Jordan, and deploying two batteries to Turkey pretty much squashed it, even though the Marines were willing to subsidize our costs considerably.

Hell, during sequestration, the Marines scrounged up the tdy money to get two crews out to Yuma to at least work in the TAOC and white cell to sim patriot and serve as our joint crew certifications, but our damned GS comptroller wouldn't even let the marines pay our way for reasons.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
And if it's not already obvious, when you inevitably have to rejuvenate your training program it takes far longer to get back to your prior competency level (on both the trainee and trainer side) and ends up costing many times more than the money you saved in the interim. Lord help you if you have to do this in the face of a shooting war (that wasn't deterred because your readiness had visibly gone to poo poo.) This is in no way specific to USAF aggressor squads or US forces in general.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

To add even more to this:

Someone will point it that sim training is way better today than it was thirty years ago. Yes, this is true, but it still doesn't hold a candle to live air training. Even SAM crews sitting in an air conditioned box get way more out of live air than Sim, and they don't even have to deal with things like realistic g forces, picking things up visually irl, vs on a graphic simulator, etc.

Patriot used to go take part in WTI at last once per year, if not twice per year. It was awesome, as both our operators and the pilots would surprise each other on a regular basis. We stopped going, due to cost and deployment cycles. We nearly started going again about three years ago. But then sending THAAD to Guam, deploying a battery to Jordan, and deploying two batteries to Turkey pretty much squashed it, even though the Marines were willing to subsidize our costs considerably.

Hell, during sequestration, the Marines scrounged up the tdy money to get two crews out to Yuma to at least work in the TAOC and white cell to sim patriot and serve as our joint crew certifications, but our damned GS comptroller wouldn't even let the marines pay our way for reasons.

When I was at WTI there were no Patriots, only about 10 stinger dudes. I'd like to think they just went to the strip club across the CA border instead of going into the range, because we gave about 5 seconds' thought to planning for them and they were never a factor.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

They actually collect intelligence on the "good guys" during exercises and use it in their own planning. Then in the debriefs afterwards they show you what they collected. Things like the frag (the literal list of every plane, callsign, loadout, takeoff time, time on target, altitude blocks, etc) made quite an impression when it shows up in that portion of the debrief.

One time they had pictures posing on our flight deck. :downs:

I was sorely tempted to do this in reverse at Air Wing Fallon. Have our intel officer go down to the end of the runway with binoculars and a radio (camo face paint optional), and give real-time reports on what red air was launching.

Of course, AWF red air have a rep sitting in the mission brief, so it's not like they need to work very hard to get the blue forces OOB and plan.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Of course, AWF red air have a rep sitting in the mission brief, so it's not like they need to work very hard to get the blue forces OOB and plan.
Clearly you need to work on your deception operations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

When I was at WTI there were no Patriots, only about 10 stinger dudes. I'd like to think they just went to the strip club across the CA border instead of going into the range, because we gave about 5 seconds' thought to planning for them and they were never a factor.

Yeah, most of the USAF players didn't really interact with the Stinger guys much. The mostly got to play against the low-flying Harriers and F-5s practicing low approaches and acting as fodder for the Stingers. There were some cases of Stingers being used for delouse, but half the time that meant they got excited and killed both the Blue Hornet and the Red Viper.

Actually, a couple years ago they had the Advanced MANPADS setup out there where every single team has tac-chat and Link 16 on a notebook. It was actually pretty cool to be able to not just say "there's a friendly being pursued in the weeds headed your way" and instead see orders passed to delouse track X by engaging track Y and have them see on a map exactly how they were flying. It also made their kill reporting way more accurate than getting an HF call 5 minutes after the engagement saying they splashed something, when there are a dozen planes in the area.

When Patriot can't physically go out there, which hasn't been since like 2010 or 2011, we tend to send ADAFCO teams who use bugsplats and LOS software in the white cell to give a somewhat realistic simulation of patriot based on engagement ranges, flyout times, coverage maps, etc. It's still nowhere close to the real thing. The last time we tried to do something crafty I won't describe here in an abundance of caution, the evolution lead was just like "I didn't know you could do that, so noooope, we're not gonna sim it" He also happened to be the tac-air dept head :v:

That said about stinger, it is really funny when people underestimate them. The Marines lost every single Cobra they had in about 5 minutes flat, because they assumed Stinger would suck in the dark. The Marines made the only AH-1Z they had on the range invulnerable, because they wanted to put it through its paces. When all his wing-men got simultaneously splashed after flying through a valley that was crawling with Stinger teams, the Z model tried to get behind cover so quick and low that he rotor-struck some vegitation and had to make an emergency landing, with the Stinger teams being the first responders. Both aviators were fine, but the rotor shaft was vibrating like hell during the powered landing.

Patriot at Red Flag is still valuable, but we are way more likely to get handed highly restrictive rules out there so we don't poo poo all over training objectives, whereas the WTI planners tend to say that if we can shoot people the second they cross into the range, have fun.

edit: gently caress, I forgot my favorite Stinger at WTI story.

Some LAAD (Stinger dudes) 1SG decided to add in some training for his troops without clearing it through the white cell. So now there's a report of 2-4 individuals moving on foot through a LAAD section's area armed with AK-47s and RPGs. This was at the height of cartel violence. White Cell ends up calling a SWAT team. You know what looks like dudes with AK-47s and RPGs to a SWAT team? LAAD soldiers with M-16s and Stingers. At some point after SWAT was dispatched, but before they murdered a bunch of Marines, the white cell was able to clear it up and call off SWAT.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 29, 2014

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I assume delousing is what it sounds like, you fly low through friendly air defenses and they shoot down the enemy planes chasing you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mortabis posted:

I assume delousing is what it sounds like, you fly low through friendly air defenses and they shoot down the enemy planes chasing you?

Without pulling up the publication, IIRC, it is an order to detect, identify and engage if necessary an aircraft trailing a friendly aircraft. I used to know these by heart, but it's been 18 months since a certification.