Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

WickedHate posted:

Is that really an unreasonable position? Like if I'm being irrational at any time I'd be happy to listen and change, but that doesn't seem very disagreeable or extreme to me.

I don't think it's that unreasonable, but by and large our society doesn't like it when we get real awkward, even with people who've actually done bad things. I would say though that, in fact, Landis and Polanski's names aren't really synonymous with those things. Better known than Cosby, but still, they've gained a lot of distance. Polanski's name got a bit muddier with the arrest 3 yrs ago but that's about it. In Landis' case, he was acquitted after trial, so I sort of throw up my hands. The system was enacted, even if you feel it failed. Polanski fled and was not punished, which is more infuriating.

Polanski is a oval office and if he died with Tate the world would be better, not least because then I wouldn't have to know that Tilda Swinton totally has his back :( along with:

Darren Aronofsky
Monica Bellucci
Wong Kar Waï
Martin Scorcese
Asia Argento
Wim Wenders
Woody Allen (LOLLLLL)
Pedro Almodovar
Wes Anderson (sob)
Harvey Weinstein
Natalie Portman
David Lynch
Harrison Ford
Mike Nichols
Jeremy Irons
Salman Rushdie
Kristin Scott-Thomas
+most of France

Trying to boycott all of these people is like trying to remove Nestle products from your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, I get what you're saying. It really sucks, but it's just the reality we're stuck with, I guess.

Was Taters posted:

I don't think it's that unreasonable, but by and large our society doesn't like it when we get real awkward, even with people who've actually done bad things. I would say though that, in fact, Landis and Polanski's names aren't really synonymous with those things. Better known than Cosby, but still, they've gained a lot of distance.

I should have clarified "synonymous to me". It's difficult for me to put something like that out of mind, but you're right, they're mostly out of the stigma of it.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hey folks, hope everyone is having a nice end to their weekend. Anyways, I found something pretty cool at my local weekly flea market that I thought I would share

http://imgur.com/a/9hNdi

Got the two of them for 5 bucks. These aren't worth anything substantial based on the 1 website I looked at, but as far as novice collection goes, I'm feeling pretty happy with myself.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Never particularly liked the Suicide Squad, but that cover has always been really amazing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WickedHate posted:

Never particularly liked the Suicide Squad, but that cover has always been really amazing.
It's the only good thing Howard Chaykin has ever done.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

hi liter posted:

Hey folks, hope everyone is having a nice end to their weekend. Anyways, I found something pretty cool at my local weekly flea market that I thought I would share

http://imgur.com/a/9hNdi

Got the two of them for 5 bucks. These aren't worth anything substantial based on the 1 website I looked at, but as far as novice collection goes, I'm feeling pretty happy with myself.

Both series are very close to my heart, so congrats!

I'm probably the biggest Blue Beetle fan in BSS, so I got that entire 24-issue run bound (with Secret Origins #2 placed before BB #1). Some of it is pretty mid-'80s generic and mediocre, but Paris Cullins was really an underrated and underappreciated artist. I always wished he had done more work.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 28, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Never particularly liked the Suicide Squad

redbackground posted:

I can't decide which of these opinions I hate more.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

Chaykin's best work was the first 12 issues of American Flagg!. He was a master of his craft then, and his artwork and especially the layouts were so creative and exciting and cutting-edge, they're awe-inspiring to look at even now. It's sad to see how his art has deteriorated as he aged.

But I've always loved that Suicide Squad #1 cover too, and often wished he had contributed some interior art. Deadshot and Rick Flagg were very Chaykin-style heroes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I can't decide which of these opinions I hate more.
I'm sorry, I take it back. This panel is also some quality Chaykin:

A master of his craft, to be sure.

And I admit, he does a pretty great Wolverine, too.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 28, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

redbackground posted:

It's kind of unfair to compare modern day Chaykin to older days Chaykin.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Satellite Sam looks great a lot of the time. I think it's more not caring Chaykin.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

redbackground posted:

You are aware Chaykin had a career for like 30 years before his modern day marvel stuff, right

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You are aware Chaykin had a career for like 30 years before his modern day marvel stuff, right
I am! Aaaaaand I just really don't like him, sorry. :shrug:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

WickedHate posted:

Never particularly liked the Suicide Squad

Jesus, you just do not get tired of being wrong, do you?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

There are people in this thread who don't like Howard Chaykin. This is the place to be wrong.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I mean it's just not something I've ever been a fan of, I don't hate it, I haven't read any aside from the first issue of the New 52 series.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I mean it's just not something I've ever been a fan of, I don't hate it, I haven't read any aside from the first issue of the New 52 series.
Oh, honey.

That's not. They're not the same thing at all.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timeless Appeal posted:

Oh, honey.

That's not. They're not the same thing at all.

I know, and that I did hate. I've never thought it's very similar to the older stuff.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I got this really nice sketch from Chaykin when I met him at MegaCon in '05 or '06:

Interesting guy to talk to, as well.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Didn't someone say in this thread that they thought Kirby was a bad artist? After that, chaykin hate or wicked hate don't really surprise me.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

There are people in this thread who don't like Howard Chaykin. This is the place to be wrong.
There are dozens of us!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

WickedHate posted:

Leaving aside the ridiculousness of feeling the need to say you've never particularly been a fan of something you haven't read, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Seriously, Ostrander's original run on Suicide Squad may well be my favorite book of its era (and there was some strong competition to be had). It is absolutely a groundbreaking, well-constructed, engrossing book and you really ought to read it - not (just) because then you will agree with me, but because it's really loving good and not having it in your life is a damned shame.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Leaving aside the ridiculousness of feeling the need to say you've never particularly been a fan of something you haven't read, you're doing yourself a disservice.

Seriously, Ostrander's original run on Suicide Squad may well be my favorite book of its era (and there was some strong competition to be had). It is absolutely a groundbreaking, well-constructed, engrossing book and you really ought to read it - not (just) because then you will agree with me, but because it's really loving good and not having it in your life is a damned shame.

Then maybe I'll read it some time when I get the chance. I was just saying, "I have no opinion concerning the book and don't know anything about it, but I've seen that cover a lot and it's really good".

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

As someone who has a pretty deficient knowledge when it comes to comics, I have never heard of this guy or seen his work before. This looks loving amazing and I'm going to have to track down some of his work. Anything in particular I should try to find first?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

As someone who has a pretty deficient knowledge when it comes to comics, I have never heard of this guy or seen his work before. This looks loving amazing and I'm going to have to track down some of his work. Anything in particular I should try to find first?

Black Kiss :D

e: Or if that sounds a little too fun, American Flagg!, his Shadow stuff https://www.comixology.com/The-Shadow-Blood-Judgement-Dynamite/comics-series/9166, or the recent Satellite Sam written by Matt Fraction.
ee: You can get his Star Wars stuff here before Dark Horse loses the license https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/1947.star-wars-omnibus-a-long-time-ago-volume-1-tpb/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 29, 2014

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

And his Punisher issue!

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Grant Morrison is overrated as hell.

This is also the thread to be right, you see!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Grant Morrison is very good at a specific niche, that being stories about stories, even if only in subtext like All Star Superman or Earth 2.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Vincent posted:

Didn't someone say in this thread that they thought Kirby was a bad artist? After that, chaykin hate or wicked hate don't really surprise me.

I do think Kirby's largely an incredible artist, but I have gone on record saying he's done plenty of bad stuff. I don't know that this is a controversial statement since no one can output at a 100% all the time, but I think the one I caught flak for was the cover of Avengers #4, which is in fact considered an iconic piece of comic book art, and I'm getting a total Emperor's New Clothes feel from it.

I guess it's pretty dynamic for the time, but Cap still looks like a weird yelping monkey man and Tony looks like a 13-year old took a bad cosplay picture and superimposed it onto a white background. Someone talked about having this thing tatooed on their body, and it's not that I want to be a shithead naysayer, I just want to know what exactly it is they see in this particular piece apart from its historical significance because I honestly do not get it.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 29, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vincent posted:

Who the gently caress said that and can we skin them alive?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

https://twitter.com/SubCitycomics/status/514676603537072128

I hope someone has told him his error :ughh:

On a side note, Lemire was asking that question because he was looking to do a signing here, since he would be in the UK for ThoughtBubble. Shalvey basically arranged for him to come to my LCS. When the owner told us this yesterday at DICE, Waterhaul had the most darling reaction to the news. There was literal gasping and fanboyishly squeeing and "Oh my god!"s. :allears:

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 29, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Look if everybody else read Sweet Tooth and Essex County you'd realize it was a perfectly human reaction.

Gonna get so much stuff signed :allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Waterhaul posted:

Look if everybody else read Sweet Tooth and Essex County you'd realize it was a perfectly human reaction.

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable reaction to me. :colbert:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I do think Kirby's largely an incredible artist, but I have gone on record saying he's done plenty of bad stuff. I don't know that this is a controversial statement since no one can output at a 100% all the time, but I think the one I caught flak for was the cover of Avengers #4, which is in fact considered an iconic piece of comic book art, and I'm getting a total Emperor's New Clothes feel from it.

I guess it's pretty dynamic for the time, but Cap still looks like a weird yelping monkey man and Tony looks like a 13-year old took a bad cosplay picture and superimposed it onto a white background. Someone talked about having this thing tatooed on their body, and it's not that I want to be a shithead naysayer, I just want to know what exactly it is they see in this particular piece apart from its historical significance because I honestly do not get it.

That was me, and the answer is "because it's dope."

Yeeeeeesssss :getin:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Teenage Fansub posted:

Black Kiss :D

e: Or if that sounds a little too fun, American Flagg!, his Shadow stuff https://www.comixology.com/The-Shadow-Blood-Judgement-Dynamite/comics-series/9166, or the recent Satellite Sam written by Matt Fraction.
ee: You can get his Star Wars stuff here before Dark Horse loses the license https://digital.darkhorse.com/profile/1947.star-wars-omnibus-a-long-time-ago-volume-1-tpb/

Wasn't there some problem involving copyright or trademark or maybe they just lost the originals, but I remember being told that they couldn't collect American Flagg for some reason? Like, maybe there were really low-quality trades that ruined the whole point?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hakkesshu posted:

When I think of the general idea of "Kirby is a bad artist", that's exactly what comes to mind, and I was gonna bring it up but you beat me to it. Other then that, I can't think of any other piece he's done as bad. Dude's a legend in art for a reason, he does incredible work 99.9% of the time and that might be literally.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

prefect posted:

Wasn't there some problem involving copyright or trademark or maybe they just lost the originals, but I remember being told that they couldn't collect American Flagg for some reason? Like, maybe there were really low-quality trades that ruined the whole point?

I dunno about any problems with print. I got it on Comixology https://www.comixology.com/American-Flagg/comics-series/2487

e: I guess out of 50 issues you can only get 1-12 collected (I haven't read any of it yet :ohdear:)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Sep 29, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

You're in for a treat. He usually does a little doodle when he does signings so you might be getting some original Lemire work too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Waterhaul posted:

Just finished Essex County. Looks like Sweet Tooth is next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Just finished Essex County. Looks like Sweet Tooth is next.

Other recommendations is Underwater Welder and The Nobody.

• Locked thread