Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Cerrone's really tall for the division but it seems like Alvarez is still a little shorter than the rest and could still do to go down to featherweight. I don't know enough about him or his style to know if he'd have any success there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Eddie is listed at 5'8", which is on the shorter end for 155 but isn't really super out of the ordinary. He fights in a bit of a crouch though, and Cerrone who is like 6'1" and fights tall made it look even worse.

The whole fight was based on whether Eddie could get on the inside, because if he couldn't he was gonna get torn up from range. Within the first minute he tried to come in and got hit with that stepping knee Cerrone likes and from then on he was a bit hesitant to come in. I think part of the reason he had that crazy flurry in the first was because he managed to get inside but didn't know how many opportunities he was going to get so he tried to do as much damage as he could. By the second Cerrone had established his kicks and range completely and Eddie got picked apart.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Lerius posted:

I really like the Semmy Schilt comparison for Cerrone.

Same. This evolution from Cerrone helps negate how hittable his brain is and turns him into a pretty seriously difficult fight for anyone.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If Eddie hadn't spent the entire fight eating leg kicks while attempting to catch them and had checked them instead he might have been able to win. His movement was completely hosed by the third.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Dangersim posted:

Not really, he's just gorilla strong

Eh being neutralized by a former Olympian doesn't indicate that his wrestling is subpar or average. Yoel wasn't able to keep Kennedy down for long either (until he broke Kennedy's brain).

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Also most good wrestlers are gorilla strong.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

origami posted:

Eh being neutralized by a former Olympian doesn't indicate that his wrestling is subpar or average. Yoel wasn't able to keep Kennedy down for long either (until he broke Kennedy's brain).

Kennedy wasn't able to do much with Jacare or Rockhold either. Not to say that he's not a good wrestler, but he's not exceptional for the division he's in.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
His takedowns are actually pretty mediocre but his top control is really good. He's basically a giant, white, whiny Crusher.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

NippleFloss posted:

Kennedy wasn't able to do much with Jacare or Rockhold either. Not to say that he's not a good wrestler, but he's not exceptional for the division he's in.

And people used to argue (wrongly) that Anderson Silva was only good because that division didn't have good wrestlers. Things change fast.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

origami posted:

He's not a bad wrestler or wrestling deficient. He's not exceptional though. Weidman's wrestling is exceptional.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

origami posted:

Uh Kennedy's a pretty exceptional wrestler.

lol what

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

well he shot on a bunch of brown guys so I can see where the confusion is.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Folks have brought up decent points indicating that I'm not correct on this but watching him grind out Bisping (in admittedly boring fashion) for five rounds after Bisping kept Chael standing for three rounds was impressive to me. Nullifying Roger even though Roger had his back for the first round. He's shown he can bully fighters down off the fence and he managed to get Yoel down albeit briefly. Other folks that know better than me seem to think differently though.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Kennedy has a good top game but he's far from an exceptional wrestler. Fortunately he makes it up with tenacity and cardio.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

origami posted:

Folks have brought up decent points indicating that I'm not correct on this

Just look at the number of trolls who came out of the woodwork to attack me because my opinion happens to be different from theirs. God forbid!

The culture of elitism that exists within the MMA fan base is nothing short of baffling. I can think of three separate occasions when I almost came to trading blows with some drunk know-it-all who thinks his opinions have more value because he trains jiu-jitsu. :rolleyes:

It's like they can't handle the concept of two people having different opinions. I may not "train" mixed martial arts, but I've seen enough matches and read enough articles and studied fight footage to know what I'm talking about.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Fortunately the number of nutters that come out of the woodwork every time there's a GDT means my posting will go on safe and virtually unnoticed

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Bioshuffle posted:

Just look at the number of trolls who came out of the woodwork to attack me because my opinion happens to be different from theirs. God forbid!

The culture of elitism that exists within the MMA fan base is nothing short of baffling. I can think of three separate occasions when I almost came to trading blows with some drunk know-it-all who thinks his opinions have more value because he trains jiu-jitsu. :rolleyes:

It's like they can't handle the concept of two people having different opinions. I may not "train" mixed martial arts, but I've seen enough matches and read enough articles and studied fight footage to know what I'm talking about.

Speaking of trolls, this an excellently crafted troll, I almost fell for it.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Pesky hivemind buzzing around my poop opinions

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Why did Cerrone take it to the ground in the 3rd? Did he lay on him because he couldn't stand?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Robert Analog posted:

Why did Cerrone take it to the ground in the 3rd? Did he lay on him because he couldn't stand?

He was trying for another OTN bonus

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

Bioshuffle posted:

Agreed

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Robert Analog posted:

Who knows? Maybe he just felt like it.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Bioshuffle posted:

congrats on watching lots of youtube, you have earned your gold belt in grappling now

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Robert Analog posted:

The only thing I can think of is that he wasn't 100% sure he'd won the round, and he knew he'd lost the first and won the second, so he wanted to spend the last minute in dominant position and guarantee the decision. He may not have realized that Alvarez was basically incapable of putting weight on his leg. It wasn't a good decision, but that's the best logic I can come up with.

And there's no Submission of the Night anymore is there? So I don't think it's the bonus money.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Robert Analog posted:

I think he said he was tired in the post-conf

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Robert Analog posted:

whatever jackson tells him to do, he does the opposite. it's why he's such a swell fighter

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Cerrone won the second though? You know he won the fight right?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Novum posted:

Pesky hivemind buzzing around my poop opinions

I am not the only one who thinks that John McCarthy hosed up, nor am I the only one to think that Tim Kennedy should have been given the victory.

I understand some of you hate Tim Kennedy and it makes you happy to see him get screwed out of a win, but that does not invalidate my opinion.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I swear that's the second time Bisping has referred to him as 'Tom'

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

I understand some of you hate Tim Kennedy and it makes you happy to see him get screwed out of a win, but that does not invalidate my opinion.

no, the being a big ol' dorkus malorkus does that

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Reads book

Hmmm yes I am a master of unarmed combat

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Bioshuffle posted:

It's a good thing they didn't come to blows, their jiu jitsu would have been useless against a guy who visits bloodyelbow.com.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I may not have ever shot a double or thrown a punch but I read a Jack Slack article god damnit

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

I'm not here to defend myself against idiot trolls who can't even do a good job. I'm here to talk about MMA. Trolls, get over yourself and get a life.

I was very impressed with Cat Zingano's performance. I think she'll be a real credible threat against Ronda Rousey, but Rousey's striking game has been improving, so I'm looking forward to the match up. I'm also looking forward to Cruz's match up against Dillshaw. Both have awesome footwork so it'll be interesting to see who comes out on top.

edit: fixed Typo

Bioshuffle fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 29, 2014

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

We're not trolling we're making fun of you.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
Rhond

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bioshuffle posted:

yeah you almost got into a fist fight with a bjj player sounds like a real life story

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I like the new guy and encourage more people to post here.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Robert Analog posted:

Why didn't Cerrone follow Nate to the ground the 5 or 6 times he managed to knock him off his feet with leg kicks? The world will never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Donald Cerrone is a mystery wrapped in an enigma, wrapped in a beer koozie.

• Locked thread