Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football?
This poll is closed.
A harsh mistress 26 18.06%
A hate-verse allergic to love 14 9.72%
A flayer of souls 28 19.44%
A wait at the DMV that ends with a surly attendant telling you that you don't have the right documents 76 52.78%
Total: 144 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

kayakyakr posted:

Also ECU -39.5 (over SMU)

SMU is Very Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Real Name Grover posted:

Currently Michigan State -8.

I know gently caress all what will happen in this game, but we certainly can't afford to give the ball away four fuckin' times like last year.

I hope they know something I don't. Oregon is really good, but we showed some heavy loving flaws. I gotta bank on turnovers and blackshirts loving up.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spiritus Nox posted:

SMU is Very Bad.

Yes. Taking ECU is easy money.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Dilber posted:

yes.

He did pushups for loving up an INT. Like 2 plays later he actually made the INT.

I didn't know you could get flagged for taunting yourself. College refs :thumbsup:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Detroit_Dogg posted:

"Should we block these guys?"
"I don't know, I'm too distracted by David Brandon's minor league baseball stadium around here"
*Some lovely De La Salle Quarterback Loses All Memories of 7th Grade*

Agreed he's a great athletic director keep him forever

serious posting:

yeah, I get it, Michigan fans are old and out of touch lol cutting edge humor, hey did I mention that all Ohio State fans are pedophiles?

But, that doesn't change the fact that the dude loving sucks at his job. I don't give a gently caress about piped in music or CRAZY UNIFORMS, but when you hire Brady Hoke because he's your guy without even reaching out to a legitimate candidate, defend him constantly, go out in the press to talk poo poo about the previous coach you fired (and in doing so, suggest that almost every key player on the sugar bowl winning team was irrelevant and didn't matter, because he was recruited by Rodriguez (yes, he actually did this)) you probably loving suck.

He also supposedly sits in on the post game meetings between coaches, because he played for Michigan a million years ago and therefore is a football brain that can be a hands on member of the coaching staff.

Woo, 3 win season incoming

Marquis de Pyro fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 29, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2014/09/26/show-your-support-for-dillon-day/

Wear tattoo sleeves to show support for a dumbass.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Brady Hoke would like you to know that proper procedures were followed

Brady Hoke posted:

"The safety of our student-athletes is always our top priority. We generally never discuss the specifics of a student-athlete's medical care, but Shane Morris was removed from yesterday's game against Minnesota after further aggravating an injury to his leg that he sustained earlier in the contest. He was evaluated by our experienced athletic trainers and team physicians, and we're confident proper medical decisions were made. The University of Michigan has a distinguished group of Certified Athletic Trainers and team physicians who are responsible for determining whether or not a player is physically able to play. Our coaches have no influence or authority to make determinations if or when an injured player returns to competition. The health and welfare of our student-athletes is and will continue to be a top priority."

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

rebel1608 posted:

Brady Hoke would like you to know that proper procedures were followed

The medical staff had a great week of practice but just didn't execute.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
If there's one thing you can say about us mississipians it's that we are real good at latching onto bad ideas

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Texas is ranked in the 120s for total offense. There is a lot of inexperience and it is a new system but still. We have multiple 4-stars on our oline. We have a 4-star QB. We have multiple 4-star receivers. We have two 5-star running backs. Can someone with outside perspective tell me if this is enough to declare that Shawn Watson is bad? On the one hand he lost his QB and whatever system was built around him, along with all the experience on the o-line. That makes it seem unfair to judge him. Plus he does seem like a good QB coach. On the other hand, he has managed to field one of the least productive offenses in all of college football this year, and his prior track record is decidedly Greg Davis-esque (i.e. can do well with a truly great QB but generally mediocre to bad and always super vanilla).

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Thermos H Christ posted:

Texas is ranked in the 120s for total offense. There is a lot of inexperience and it is a new system but still. We have multiple 4-stars on our oline. We have a 4-star QB. We have multiple 4-star receivers. We have two 5-star running backs. Can someone with outside perspective tell me if this is enough to declare that Shawn Watson is bad? On the one hand he lost his QB and whatever system was built around him, along with all the experience on the o-line. That makes it seem unfair to judge him. Plus he does seem like a good QB coach. On the other hand, he has managed to field one of the least productive offenses in all of college football this year, and his prior track record is decidedly Greg Davis-esque (i.e. can do ok with a truly great QB but generally mediocre to bad and always super vanilla).

He's only had a year, and Mack coaches all the talent out of those kids already.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Spiritus Nox posted:

SMU is Very Bad.

SMU, over the entire season, has 12 points. And that's terrible.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
5 star in high school doesn't mean five star in college.

I really have nothing. I'm trying to be supportive I just have nothing to support you with. I'm a Gator fan and I feel your pain dude.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Agreed he's a great athletic director keep him forever

serious posting:

yeah, I get it, Michigan fans are old and out of touch lol cutting edge humor, hey did I mention that all Ohio State fans are pedophiles?

But, that doesn't change the fact that the dude loving sucks at his job. I don't give a gently caress about piped in music or CRAZY UNIFORMS, but when you hire Brady Hoke because he's your guy without even reaching out to a legitimate candidate, defend him constantly, go out in the press to talk poo poo about the previous coach you fired (and in doing so, suggest that almost every key player on the sugar bowl winning team was irrelevant and didn't matter, because he was recruited by Rodriguez (yes, he actually did this)) you probably loving suck.

He also supposedly sits in on the post game meetings between coaches, because he played for Michigan a million years ago and therefore is a football brain that can be a hands on member of the coaching staff.

Woo, 3 win season incoming

Well he's actually done a legitimate bad thing in backing Brady Hoke who kept playing an obviously injured and possibly concussed kid so I agree he should be fired. Almost everything else yall have been complaining about is mostly petty tbqh.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Well he's actually done a legitimate bad thing in backing Brady Hoke who kept playing an obviously injured and possibly concussed kid so I agree he should be fired. Almost everything else yall have been complaining about is mostly petty tbqh.

Seeing as you don't buy tickets to Michigan football games, you opinion on what should happen inside the stadium is pretty irrelevant. Your incessant whining is mostly petty, tbqh.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Deteriorata posted:

Seeing as you don't buy tickets to Michigan football games, you opinion on what should happen inside the stadium is pretty irrelevant.

Nothing better than a good echo chamber.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If Michigan fans don't want Thing X in their stadium and get upset about it, that's their call :shrug:

I'm kinda upset that Penn State sold the naming rights to the student section because, well, really?

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
This video has it all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnBpSindZIY

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sash! posted:

If Michigan fans don't want Thing X in their stadium and get upset about it, that's their call :shrug:

I'm kinda upset that Penn State sold the naming rights to the student section because, well, really?

gotta get the cash, gotta get the dough

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Thermos H Christ posted:

Texas is ranked in the 120s for total offense. There is a lot of inexperience and it is a new system but still. We have multiple 4-stars on our oline. We have a 4-star QB. We have multiple 4-star receivers. We have two 5-star running backs. Can someone with outside perspective tell me if this is enough to declare that Shawn Watson is bad? On the one hand he lost his QB and whatever system was built around him, along with all the experience on the o-line. That makes it seem unfair to judge him. Plus he does seem like a good QB coach. On the other hand, he has managed to field one of the least productive offenses in all of college football this year, and his prior track record is decidedly Greg Davis-esque (i.e. can do well with a truly great QB but generally mediocre to bad and always super vanilla).

Your 4-star QB was hyped up as a Vince Young/Terelle Pryor clone. Charlie likes him some pass-first pocket style QBs who occasionally rarely run. Swoops is in a terrible scheme for him right now as a result, and I doubt any receiver is really going to make that better short of being Sammy Watkins-esque. As for the running backs...yeah I don't know. I think a lot of that is just the sheer lack of continuity on the line and the fact that anyone can stack the box against a pro-style offense with a QB who can't throw and generally do a pretty good job with it.

Give it a year to actually see some improvement in mechanics/continuity before you give up on the guy.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Yeah I guess I just question whether pursuing a pro style offense is a wise use of our resources here in spread central. Diamonds are plenty valuable but you don't mine for diamonds in Texas, you drill for oil. Maybe we would have more luck recruiting and have our young players look less lost if we ran something like what every offensive recruit in this state has grown up on.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Fenrir posted:

Yeah yeah, A&M won in OT, and welp honestly I'm surprised it was as close as it was. I figured the Hogs would lose by 10.

That said, everyone needs to quit loving saying A&M beat Arkansas in a "neutral field". If the game is in Texas it's not a "neutral field". Maybe if the two teams played in Idaho or Wisconsin or Georgia, yeah, sure. That's like the Hogs having the game in War Memorial instead of Fayetteville and calling it a loving "neutral field". That poo poo is stupid.

Eh, I've been to that game before and the crowd has been pretty much 50/50. Plus Cowboys Stadium is always pretty much silent as the grave, so it's not like it really matters.

Edit: plus if it was that much of a disadvantage, I don't think Arkansas would have agreed to play there every year

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 29, 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
It'd be one thing if he was changing actual you know, important things. Like if he got rid of the booster banner that all the players touch or if he painted over The Team, The Team, The Team in the tunnel. But he's not. He's trying to find ways to get people to come out and watch a product that is not very good (which are due to coaches he hired to be fair). Get mad at him for backing Brady Hoke after gross negligence and sitting in on meetings that I'm sure coaches don't want him at. He just chose to support a lame duck coach who put an injured and possibly concussed teenage kid in even more danger, that's awful and something he should be fired for.

Getting mad about bottled water being sold for stadium prices in a, well, stadium is really funny though and I'm going to mock you for it.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Also allow me to sum up whatever response post comes:

You're not a Michigan fan so you're not allowed to say what's important and we really need to be able to bring picnic foods into the stadium.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It'd be one thing if he was changing actual you know, important things. Like if he got rid of the booster banner that all the players touch or if he painted over The Team, The Team, The Team in the tunnel. But he's not. He's trying to find ways to get people to come out and watch a product that is not very good (which are due to coaches he hired to be fair). Get mad at him for backing Brady Hoke after gross negligence and sitting in on meetings that I'm sure coaches don't want him at. He just chose to support a lame duck coach who put an injured and possibly concussed teenage kid in even more danger, that's awful and something he should be fired for.

Getting mad about bottled water being sold for stadium prices in a, well, stadium is really funny though and I'm going to mock you for it.

The things he is doing that you think so highly of are having the exact opposite effect you think they should have. They do not attract Michigan fans to Michigan football games - in fact, they are driving them away.

Consequently, they are dumb ideas that he should stop doing. This really isn't very complicated.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thermos H Christ posted:

Your O-Line is extremely young and pretty bad and your QB is also very young, although not bad. That is a recipe for struggle under better circumstances than Texas'. Add in the fact that you have played and will play some very good defensive lines and your skill positions, while not bad, aren't Tavon Austin/RG3-esque game changers, and it's gonna look ugly. I don't think that's necessarily a huge indictment of Watson yet - too many other bad circumstances, between installing a new system and losing lots of very very important players to injury or incident.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 29, 2014

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think people should go to football games to watch football, not to eat. I've never bought concessions at a sports game. If you can't make it through a game without eating you are probably a toddler and shouldn't really be at the sports game.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Fenrir posted:

Yeah yeah, A&M won in OT, and welp honestly I'm surprised it was as close as it was. I figured the Hogs would lose by 10.

That said, everyone needs to quit loving saying A&M beat Arkansas in a "neutral field". If the game is in Texas it's not a "neutral field". Maybe if the two teams played in Idaho or Wisconsin or Georgia, yeah, sure. That's like the Hogs having the game in War Memorial instead of Fayetteville and calling it a loving "neutral field". That poo poo is stupid.

Frackie Robinson posted:

Eh, I've been to that game before and the crowd has been pretty much 50/50. Plus Cowboys Stadium is always pretty much silent as the grave, so it's not like it really matters.

Seconding this, especially since I was at the game. A&M definitely seemed to have more fans than Arkansas, but from roughly eyeballing it, it was 60/40 or 55/45 (I don't know the numbers, obviously, just basing this on how empty some sections were compared to the same sections on the opposing side.). I expect true home games to be like 90/10 or worse.

Also, I expected that game to be A&M's defense vs Arkansas run game. The game went about as I expected (besides the fake punt), though I was pretty impressed with A&M's stops at the end of the game. It probably didn't hurt that the last two drives (including overtime) the A&M crowd finally woke up and started yelling (otherwise pretty quiet the whole time); the start of that was definitely the missed field goal.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
That's where we have a fundamental disagreement. You think the extracurriculars are driving fans away, I think the fact that the team is upper level MAC quality is driving people away. If the team wasn't a complete and utter embarrassment I'm pretty sure nobody would care about water bottles and picnic baskets. Granted, that's impossible to prove but you get my take.

Team wins games, people come.
Team struggles with Akron, Miami of Ohio, loses to Utah, Minnesota, people don't come.

And I'm sure you're right to a certain level, I bet there are fans out there who would go watch them play Minnesota but aren't due to advertisements in the stadium and expensive Sodexo food. But I firmly believe that that number is minuscule by itself and is only possibly a relevant number this season because of just how God awful and un-watchable the team currently is.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Frackie Robinson posted:

I think people should go to football games to watch football, not to eat. I've never bought concessions at a sports game. If you can't make it through a game without eating you are probably a toddler and shouldn't really be at the sports game.

C'mon now! Det really wants to bring in a picnic basket to the stadium, and quietly watch Michigan play a dignified football match among songbirds!

Although it definitely sounds nicer than listening to Turn Down for What ten thousand times.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

That's where we have a fundamental disagreement. You think the extracurriculars are driving fans away, I think the fact that the team is upper level MAC quality is driving people away. If the team wasn't a complete and utter embarrassment I'm pretty sure nobody would care about water bottles and picnic baskets. Granted, that's impossible to prove but you get my take.

Team wins games, people come.
Team struggles with Akron, Miami of Ohio, loses to Utah, Minnesota, people don't come.

And I'm sure you're right to a certain level, I bet there are fans out there who would go watch them play Minnesota but aren't due to advertisements in the stadium and expensive Sodexo food. But I firmly believe that that number is minuscule by itself and is only possibly a relevant number this season because of just how God awful and un-watchable the team currently is.

As I have pointed out before, Michigan's attendance has held up well for years despite having a long series of bad teams. Attendance didn't start dropping until Brandon started his campaign of changing everything. Season ticket renewals were way down for this season. Student ticket sales were way down for this season. Brandon was squirming all summer trying to drum up sales, because the wait list evaporated and demand was plummeting.

This was all before this season started, and the current fiasco of a team took the field. The actual data do not support your position.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Saying "if the team was good people would come" is almost a non sequitur because yes, of course, people will come to watch their team when it is good unless the experience is downright terrible.

But when the team is mediocre-to-bad, the small annoyances of all the corporate changes foisted upon the gameday experience start to add up and cause fans to feel marginalized and that they might as well stay home. That's the fanbase erosion that's the problem here, and oh hey a ticket for a bottle of Coke you say?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

As much as I laugh at Det's folksy grampa storytime, I actually agree 100% with the bullshit commercialism thing.

The "PEPSI THIRD DOWN EFFICIENCY BROUGHT TO YOU BY KROGER" is tiresome. Michigan happens to be less removed from a pastoral football experience.

A picnic and a football match sounds quite lovely, actually.

THAT'S ANOTHER HARRIS TEETER FIRST DOOOOOOOWN

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

So some stuff about the FSU NCState game that's probably not very interesting outside of fsu fans and future opponents:

Obvious points of horror are the OL, tackling, and general play of the safeties and the LBs. Some is personnel patchwork by necessity, some seems just like plain loving disinterest.

As pointed out earlier, the center is rear end incarnate. He looks like a massive baby and I hate him. Thankfully, last game he's progressed to "below average" and is no longer single-handedly sinking the offense like the Clemson game. I can only imagine what he's been made to work on, maybe communication, but he's not folding completely at the snap so that's good. Center play aside, the line can't seem to establish a running attack early on, but gelled after a half. NCSU's coach made it a point in the post game to say we got away with infinity holding non-calls. Iunno, I only watched the game once and wasn't quite looking.

Our RB Karlos Williams, he's still not a natural rb but he makes it work after a while. More importantly, he blows protection assignments way too much. He's become a really great pass catcher though.

We played a TON of freshmen this game - 3 WRs, at least 3 on the front seven of the defense, RB. We still haven't quite done so in the secondary. Jameis is getting comfortable targeting them, but Rashad Greene still enjoys the majority the balls. All FSU's records should be his by the end of the season, and its really hard to think of a comparable wr.

We had one true, competent nose guard and he tore his pec last week, and will be out for the rest of the season. The other DTs are workable but don't really occupy space the way the injured player does. Again, we're turning to freshmen in the two deep, and they still play with two much abandon, there's a plot to be excited about. Derrick Nnadi on the interior owns. On the outside in the second half, we played a lot of a freshman named Lorenzo Featherston. He's 6'7, incredibly quick and played a big part in the forced fumble on Jacoby Brissett - I dont think Jacoby expected him to be that quick and to cover that much ground. A couple plays before that iirc, ncsu ran a hand off from shotgun and featherston totally abandoned his responsibility and shot upfield, giving that weirdly strong wolf pack RB a huge gap to run through.

Our backup strongside DE Walker seems unblockable but refuses to tackle.

Brissetts first td came on our Safety Tyler Hunter. Bless him, he's nowhere near the same player he used to be since his injury. Do yourselves a favor and go watch that play again and see how bad he bites on the worst fake-out. Its almost as bad as that Chad Pennington rushing td gif from the sas wiki. Anyway, as much as our coaches seem to trust youth around the defense, they absolutely do not at safety. Jalen Ramsey is playing out of position trying to do now-departed Lamarcus Joyner's old role, and Hunter is playing Ramsey's old spot, and it's just not working.

LBs are lovely in coverage. Leak a running back out of the backfield away from Terrance Smith for 6+ free yards everytime.

There's a lot to be excited with honestly but I just have very little feel for the identity of our defense right now and hopefully things evolve after a gut check like what happened last year.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Know what

if Michigan football dies?

good

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Frackie Robinson posted:

I bought concessions at A&M because some games even the half gallon+ jug of water can't cancel out all the effects a midday game at Kyle Field and you need more water and a frozen lemonade.

Or you get really drunk and buy a frozen lemonade because frozen lemonade is tasty.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

Alouicious posted:

Know what

if Michigan football dies?

good

I don't even want that to happen! I still have buds that work and play for them, I obviously want them to get murdered by Michigan State and it's always funny when Michigan blows up hilariously but I don't want them to just disappear into the abyss or anything like that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Deteriorata posted:

As I have pointed out before, Michigan's attendance has held up well for years despite having a long series of bad teams.

And as other people have pointed out to you it takes a while for this to happen. The RichRod years sucked for you but it was three years and he was gone, then Hoke pulled people back in with a bullshit 11-2 year before starting on this...highly mediocre at best stretch.

Other than that the worst you've had to deal with in forever is the end of Moeller and the beginning of Carr which wasn't even that bad.

As an aside how in the hell did Michigan end up with three ties in 1992?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Deteriorata posted:

The actual data do not support your position.
Only a true Michigan Man casually treats "data" as a plural :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

As much as I laugh at Det's folksy grampa storytime, I actually agree 100% with the bullshit commercialism thing.

The "PEPSI THIRD DOWN EFFICIENCY BROUGHT TO YOU BY KROGER" is tiresome. Michigan happens to be less removed from a pastoral football experience.

A picnic and a football match sounds quite lovely, actually.

THAT'S ANOTHER HARRIS TEETER FIRST DOOOOOOOWN

"Nationwide is on your side...and the Nittany Lions side!" was burned into my brain after hearing it during what seemed like every single TV timeout ever

• Locked thread