Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Is there controller support in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I guess you could set up Joy2key and it might maybe kind of work?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

ManOfTheYear posted:

Is there controller support in this game?

I doubt it. The closest "blessed" controller support I remember was the Steam controller.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

I can generally win on Emperor consistently if I don't make a horrible mistake early on. Unfortunately, the higher difficulty you go, the fewer viable options you have for your playstyle. You wouldn't get away with picking the Honour social policy tree at high difficulty, for example.

Even Emperor gets pretty dull for this reason. You end up getting stuck in the same rut every game, and if you change your style too much you lose because it's not optimal enough. I rarely finish games these days because I get bored around the Industrial era as every game turns into basically the same victory grind.

The worst part is that I can't go back to playing King because all the challenge is gone at that level, and it ends up being even more boring.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

HappyHelmet posted:

Even Emperor gets pretty dull for this reason. You end up getting stuck in the same rut every game, and if you change your style too much you lose because it's not optimal enough. I rarely finish games these days because I get bored around the Industrial era as every game turns into basically the same victory grind.

The worst part is that I can't go back to playing King because all the challenge is gone at that level, and it ends up being even more boring.

Mods bring a lot of the variety back. I've recently worked out how to mod the game, so I'll be buffing up the policies that I don't generally use (everything but Tradition) both to give myself more worthwhile options and to buff up the AIs that might choose them.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
There's tons of mods already that do that, but don't ask me which one's the best.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

majormonotone posted:

I almost never go above Prince, I don't really like excessive early-game planning/micromanagement and I'm not especially fond of warfare (although naval warfare is more fun than land war).

I actually like the early-game (and get bored with the end-turn spamming of the late) but I'm with you with the warfare, I had to force myself to do domination for the ideology achievements and that was about it. Even with someone like Genghis Khan, I would start to go warmonger but then felt gross about it and ended up going builder. With the Mongols.

I actually like doing defensive wars but actually sending troops all over the map feels like such a hassle.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Riso posted:

There's tons of mods already that do that, but don't ask me which one's the best.

The one I like best is called "Game Balance" but unfortunately it's SQL-based so it won't work in multiplayer. I'll probably just do some simple stuff - +2 happiness per city for Liberty (instead of +1), +1 happiness per defensive building in Honour and maybe +1 food per Shrine and Temple in Piety.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

Gort posted:

The one I like best is called "Game Balance" but unfortunately it's SQL-based so it won't work in multiplayer.

The modpack maker which converts mods to a fake DLC package works just fine with SQL. If you're using JdH's Mod Manager, you may want to migrate to the modpack maker instead. JdH hasn't posted or updated his utility in months, so it may be an abandoned project.

Edit: granted, Gedemon, the creator of the modpack maker, is also MIA. But cicero225 has picked up where he left off, whereas JdH's utility has yet to be picked up by anyone else.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Vicevirtuoso posted:

The modpack maker which converts mods to a fake DLC package works just fine with SQL. If you're using JdH's Mod Manager, you may want to migrate to the modpack maker instead. JdH hasn't posted or updated his utility in months, so it may be an abandoned project.

Edit: granted, Gedemon, the creator of the modpack maker, is also MIA. But cicero225 has picked up where he left off, whereas JdH's utility has yet to be picked up by anyone else.

Yeah, you're right. It's a bit more work to make the fake DLC packages though, but I guess it'll be worth it to not have the default terrible balance on early policies. The difference between an AI that goes full Honour and an AI that goes full Tradition is staggering.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

In my latest game I've run into a bug where when on the "Found a Religion" menu no matter what I select the "Found Religion" button never activates. Has anyone run into this, and if so is there a fix?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Can you do a workaround by calling up the religion overview from the tiny unscrolled-document button next to the Spy/Policies/Culture/Diplomacy keys in the top-right corner of the screen?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The White Dragon posted:

Can you do a workaround by calling up the religion overview from the tiny unscrolled-document button next to the Spy/Policies/Culture/Diplomacy keys in the top-right corner of the screen?

To clarify I'm in the religion menu. I've selected my religion name, founder belief, and first follower belief, but the found religion button doesn't activate for me to click.

Rebooted my system and now it's working. :iiam:

Soylent Pudding fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Sep 29, 2014

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Finally got far enough in a game to get planes and though it's as cool to use them as in any CIV game, it seems like the interface is a massive step back from CIV IV. Is it seriously not possible to rebase multiple planes at once? You have to click rebase for each and every one, and you can't even just right click on a city and have it move there, you have to actually click rebase to do it? That's tedious as gently caress. It's also a pain not knowing how damaged planes are from the list, or an overview of their promotions. On top of this, no airbases and no ability to land planes in allied cities or city states. I just don't get it: these were things they had down pat in their previous game. Why the huge step back?

I also miss the little planes flying above cities when you had them on intercept. Aside from being a neat visual, it also told you at a glance which cities were protected, instead of having to manually look through the plane tab to see if you've got fighters there.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Have any of you toyed around with the Workshop's Civs? Are there any recommended mods of that type, or in general?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Drunk in Space posted:

Finally got far enough in a game to get planes and though it's as cool to use them as in any CIV game, it seems like the interface is a massive step back from CIV IV. Is it seriously not possible to rebase multiple planes at once? You have to click rebase for each and every one, and you can't even just right click on a city and have it move there, you have to actually click rebase to do it?

The interface blows, but there are a couple of things that help. Bring up the unit list with the dropdown menu in the upper left and you can click from plane to plane more conveniently than going back to the city every time. The hotkey to rebase is Alt+R.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Civ IV had multiple units sharing a tile be a core part of the experience, with ways to mass select units and so forth. Civ V doesn't have that, so planes feel like a really lovely hacked-in feature that is really inconvenient to use. Which is why part of why it's a shame they're so overpowered, they're so good but so lovely to use.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 29, 2014

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
I actually like that they're powerful. I may be misremembering, but I believe Civ IV planes, while useful, acted like bombard units in that they couldn't actually destroy anything: they just reduced strength (i.e. hit points) by a certain amount. Being able to launch long range missions to sink ships and blow up tanks is a good change. As I recall that's how it used to work in Civ 1 and 2, which came in really handy in the late game where the AI would spawn units everywhere.

I really like planes in the Civ games because it totally mixes up the dynamic of warfare, allowing you to do things much more rapidly than before and give this immensely fulfilling feeling of being a dominant power reaching out and destroying your enemies from afar. Cities that were practically impregnable, or took a slow crawl of infantry and siege over many turns can suddenly be cracked open in just a couple. It was a great experience in Civ 4 and while I really like the look of air unit attacks in Civ V, due to the better animations and effects, it's really sad that the interface is so piss poor. And this is after two expansions? Please don't tell me it was worse in vanilla.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I miss pre‐BNW infinite air stacks.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Azran posted:

Have any of you toyed around with the Workshop's Civs? Are there any recommended mods of that type, or in general?

The Goths one seems to be pretty good.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I don't understand how you get to the point in the game where bombers become available, and actually use them. Whenever I get that late into the game I'm already running away with it (thanks to artillery or battleships), and never bother building more than a couple interceptors "just in case" (they never get used either usually).

Ditto nukes. I think I've had a grand total of 1 game ever of Civ V where I used a nuke in a situation that actually called for it. The rest of the times were more like, "this science victory is taking forever, and I'm getting bored." *Nukes the AI for shits and giggles right before spaceship is built*

I could see multiplayer being different though. I haven't made it that far into a multiplayer game yet though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah, I rarely have a game go past tanks. And I never, ever, ever loving build planes. I just don't need them when I have tanks and artillery.

It's such a shame because in IV I loved going into the future era, especially when BTS came out and some people made mods that added the future stuff into normal games so I could have domes over all my cities.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you're going conquest, then bombers vastly simplify your life. Instead of marching an entire army in to take the next city, you can send a single unit (or maybe two for safety), let the bombers wear all the opposition down, and then snipe the city. It speeds things up immensely, and you can even plausibly parallelize your assaults with multiple squadrons of bombers. I mean, what else are you going to use your oil on, tanks?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I often find myself in situations in land wars where the next enemy city is out of range of the nearest friendly one and there's apparently no way to set up airbases. Plus when even basic infantry can do anti-air damage and I have to use land units to conquer anyway, artillery seems more useful in all cases.

Island/coastal wars are a breeze in comparison anyway

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I used bombers a ton when I built a base on a little island right next to two hostile civs. That island was stacked full of units, every single tile had something in it, plus a bunch of bombers in the city. As soon as they declared war, I pretty much turned three of their cities into rubble and walked in with paratroopers.

so they're handy in that sense - letting you really fortify the poo poo out of a city you're setting up deliberately as an advance-base kinda thing.

I wish I could build airbases too, or make it so a fort/citadel tile also has an airstrip on it once you research flight or something.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

If you're going conquest, then bombers vastly simplify your life. Instead of marching an entire army in to take the next city, you can send a single unit (or maybe two for safety), let the bombers wear all the opposition down, and then snipe the city. It speeds things up immensely, and you can even plausibly parallelize your assaults with multiple squadrons of bombers. I mean, what else are you going to use your oil on, tanks?

I guess it comes partly down to the map I'm playing on. If it's a continents style map then by the time you get air power you should already be fully in control of your continent. So any sort of land war is already out the window because why bother with that when you can use battleships.

On maps that are all land I could see planes being more useful, but by that point I'm usually in the lead on tech and bored with the game. So gently caress it I'll turtle up for a science victory because it's easier than dealing with moving around a massive army/airforce on a land map.

A game like SMAX is much better for air units in my opinion because you get them at a point in the game where they are actually useful. And better yet, they continue to be useful for pretty much the rest of the game.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Plus when even basic infantry can do anti-air damage and I have to use land units to conquer anyway, artillery seems more useful in all cases.

IMO you should be beelining the Repair promotion for exactly this reason, so your bombers can attack every turn instead of having to take periodic breaks to recover health.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I too am feeling a bit fatigued with emperor.

I can't remember the last time I've gone anything other than
Tradition -> 4 cities -> Rationalism -> Freedom path since doing anything else is just setting yourself up for failure or a total grind (I'm looking at you domination victory)

I tried to mix it up by playing a lower difficulty but it was basically me pressing the next button until I accidentally won a culture victory before anyone but me had a doctrine.

Should I move up to the next difficulty, or should I just take a break from the game?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Take a break if you're at that stage. Stories like yours are part of why I never really want to actually push myself past King.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Eh, just try something else. Some recent favourites of mine, on Emperor:

Rome - Liberty, Commerce, Order - had a continent to myself by the end (ate 2 civs and had 7 or 8 cities total)
Assyria - Honour, Patronage, Autocracy - won by domination. The entire world hated me early on, but that was ok because I was friends with the city states, and if anyone had anything I wanted I just took it. Only needed to research the lower half of the tech tree for the most part, thanks to Assyria's UA.
Celts - Honour/Piety - Tried to just be a religious warring rear end in a top hat. Didn't last too long due to lack of my focus, but it was fun in the early game.

Just pick a civ that has a non-science focus, and play just to that strength. Don't take traditionalism or rationalism.

But I enjoy the game when I can play sub-optimally and going off script. Your mileage may vary.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It's pretty cool sometimes to hobble yourself with sub-optimal civ choice and/or policy choices and drop the difficulty down a few notches.

I find Honour is the best tree to take if you want to just bumble along on Prince and not completely outstrip the AI - it's so bad.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014

Azran posted:

I've played around with them just a little bit.

Okay, so I'm obviously going to plug my own workshop page here. But also, take a look at JFD, LastSword/teddyk, Tomatekh, and Pouakai & Sukritact.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

moosecow333 posted:

I too am feeling a bit fatigued with emperor.

I can't remember the last time I've gone anything other than
Tradition -> 4 cities -> Rationalism -> Freedom path since doing anything else is just setting yourself up for failure or a total grind (I'm looking at you domination victory)

I tried to mix it up by playing a lower difficulty but it was basically me pressing the next button until I accidentally won a culture victory before anyone but me had a doctrine.

Should I move up to the next difficulty, or should I just take a break from the game?

I'd say take a break and wait for Beyond Earth to come out. Signing up for one of the PBEM games should help you get your fix too. I'm in two of them now, and enjoying them quite a bit so far.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Psion posted:

I used bombers a ton when I built a base on a little island right next to two hostile civs. That island was stacked full of units, every single tile had something in it, plus a bunch of bombers in the city. As soon as they declared war, I pretty much turned three of their cities into rubble and walked in with paratroopers.

so they're handy in that sense - letting you really fortify the poo poo out of a city you're setting up deliberately as an advance-base kinda thing.

I wish I could build airbases too, or make it so a fort/citadel tile also has an airstrip on it once you research flight or something.

There's a mod that allows you to build airports as a tile improvement somewhere in the workshop. I know I'm using it.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Utterly, truly heartbreaking defeat today :(

China finished their spaceship literally the same turn I did, except since the AI turn happens "first", they won :smith: Beating this on Emperor remains my white whale.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Red Crown posted:

China finished their spaceship literally the same turn I did, except since the AI turn happens "first", they won :smith: Beating this on Emperor remains my white whale.

It looks like the AI turn happens first, but you gotta think all the way back to Turn 1: you're the one who acts first, and the AI is the one that has to follow you. When your spaceship part said 2, China's said 1. Did you take Freedom -> Space Procurements? That's pretty much the best way to win a spaceship victory.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Today I did some hotseat with a friend and we started at the industrial era for a change. It's been so long since I've used units like bombers, artillery, submarines and such. At one turn I spent all of my money to upgrade six artillery to rockets. It was glorious.

Having all civs being at an equal footing just before ideologies was pretty nice.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Yeah the notifications and queuing are kinda weird and misleading in this game. Basically, notifications for events that happen inbetween turns always occur at the beginning of a player's turn rather than at the end, which means that the events those notifications are informing you about happened at some point prior to the current turn. For stuff like building wonders, stuff like this happens:

(Player has two turns left on wonder, turn ends -> AI has one turn left on wonder -> all other AIs process turn -> end of turn, all build queues process in order, AI completes the wonder -> new turn begins -> Player is unaware that wonder is completed, leaves wonder in build queue, ends turn -> AI begins turn, wonder completion notification fires -> player throws computer out the window)

The one saving grace is that you don't actually lose hammers on that last turn, it cancels the build order and just overflows the spent hammers into next turn's production. Unless you used a GE of course in which case Tough Luck loser! :suicide:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

This has gotta be one of the richest plots of land I've seen in Civ V. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some undiscovered strategic resources in the empty tiles too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Alkydere posted:

This has gotta be one of the richest plots of land I've seen in Civ V. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some undiscovered strategic resources in the empty tiles too.

The plot has 3 cotton which is not that amazing for the tile itself, but is a lux. There are no rivers and only two hills, so food and production will be a little tough (farms will be +1 food until fertilizer). Two Cows, a deer, and a wheat are the food you get to play with. The marble is nice for early production though, and I missed that the first time.

Seems like a decent plot but that's about it. I actually wish more city sites were viable / "worth settling" over the course of a game, instead of having to be so selective.

Ham Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 30, 2014

• Locked thread