Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

Jehde posted:

Routine?

Yes! Thanks. What the hell happened to this game???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sleepstupid posted:

Yes! Thanks. What the hell happened to this game???

It should still be in development, so I wouldn't worry about it.

This one has been bugging me for a while: It was either an NES or SNES 2d side scroller game where you play as a toy soldier or some kind of action figure guy, and a lot of the levels were either toy themed or took place in a house that was huge because you were so small. I distinctly remember a level where you are swimming through the plumbing of a bathroom.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's not the game but you should play Monster in my Pocket on NES:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nxBLapcvgw

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Since this thread has been useful for C64 related info earlier, I figure I'll try again:

An isometric puzzle/action game where you're playing a droid of some kind. You had an ability called "grapple" that allowed you to absorb the powers of your opponents by bumping into them and doing some minigame. Also, you took a lot of damage from falling down from the tiniest ledge.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Ilustforponydeath posted:

An isometric puzzle/action game where you're playing a droid of some kind. You had an ability called "grapple" that allowed you to absorb the powers of your opponents by bumping into them and doing some minigame. Also, you took a lot of damage from falling down from the tiniest ledge.
That first part definitely sounds to me like it's Paradroid, except that wasn't isometric. Wikipedia says there was an isometric Paradroid clone called Quazatron, though that was for the ZX Spectrum only. But it seems Quazatron got a sequel called Magnetron which was also isometric and had a C64 version - and Google tells me it had "grapple mode" to take over other bots, so I'm guessing it would be that.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

KennyMan666 posted:

That first part definitely sounds to me like it's Paradroid, except that wasn't isometric. Wikipedia says there was an isometric Paradroid clone called Quazatron, though that was for the ZX Spectrum only. But it seems Quazatron got a sequel called Magnetron which was also isometric and had a C64 version - and Google tells me it had "grapple mode" to take over other bots, so I'm guessing it would be that.

Right on! Magnetron it is. It's scary how much knowledge about ancient games you people possess.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

year199X posted:

This one has been bugging me for a while: It was either an NES or SNES 2d side scroller game where you play as a toy soldier or some kind of action figure guy, and a lot of the levels were either toy themed or took place in a house that was huge because you were so small. I distinctly remember a level where you are swimming through the plumbing of a bathroom.

This was on the Sega Saturn, but your description sounds exactly like Clockwork Knight

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Tomato posted:

This was on the Sega Saturn, but your description sounds exactly like Clockwork Knight

I looked up videos and that's vaguely similar, but not quite it.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

year199X posted:

What about Harley's Humongous Adventure? That has a level where you're swimming through the plumbing of a bathroom.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Genpei Turtle posted:

What about Harley's Humongous Adventure? That has a level where you're swimming through the plumbing of a bathroom.

Yeah, that was it! Thanks!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Ah, just found it. Yeah, it's definitely not Time, I want to say the graphics were better and that horrid interface would certainly be something I'd remember.

Well, what is it because now I'm curious.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I think this may have been N64/PS1 era, and this may be insufficiently vague, but does anyone remember a game where you had to lure monster/enemies over to destroy parts of the environment for you to proceed? It may have been PS2 era even, but I can't remember much else about it. :\

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Shadow of the Colossus had times where you had to let them smash the environment up so you could move somewhere or otherwise take care of business, but I'm guessing you'd remember more if it was that?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

baka kaba posted:

Shadow of the Colossus had times where you had to let them smash the environment up so you could move somewhere or otherwise take care of business, but I'm guessing you'd remember more if it was that?

Yeah, this was more actiony-RPGish I think? Like, they had to smash a boulder for you to get to a secret item?

It wasn't a HUGE part of the game, but I was planing Tales of Xillia and something about the environment there reminded me of it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pretty sure that kind of thing happens in every Zelda game, if you're thinking of one of those. But I think it's pretty common in general! We talking major environmental destruction or like a bit of crumbly looking wall turning into a doorway?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

baka kaba posted:

Pretty sure that kind of thing happens in every Zelda game, if you're thinking of one of those. But I think it's pretty common in general! We talking major environmental destruction or like a bit of crumbly looking wall turning into a doorway?

The latter. I think I kinda remember it was a creature that maybe rolled into a ball like an armadillo and crashed into a boulder/wall? Or something just charging I guess.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Can't really think offhand, I have some vague memory of a bad guy in an armadillo suit doing that kind of thing... but I don't know what I'm talking about!

But because kismet is a thing, and for some reason this has been in my head, I'll say Dark Cloud. I only played a demo and can't remember anything about it, but who knows - maybe it's your lucky day

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

baka kaba posted:

Can't really think offhand, I have some vague memory of a bad guy in an armadillo suit doing that kind of thing... but I don't know what I'm talking about!

But because kismet is a thing, and for some reason this has been in my head, I'll say Dark Cloud. I only played a demo and can't remember anything about it, but who knows - maybe it's your lucky day

I've heard Dark Cloud is good, but that is not it.

I'll end up thinking of it in the next day or two. Watch it be like, Super Mario 64 or some poo poo.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

I think this may have been N64/PS1 era, and this may be insufficiently vague, but does anyone remember a game where you had to lure monster/enemies over to destroy parts of the environment for you to proceed? It may have been PS2 era even, but I can't remember much else about it. :\

Space Station Silicon Valley?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Capsaicin posted:

Yeah, this was more actiony-RPGish I think? Like, they had to smash a boulder for you to get to a secret item?

It wasn't a HUGE part of the game, but I was planing Tales of Xillia and something about the environment there reminded me of it.

One of the Alundra games perhaps?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Not sure if I've asked this before, it's been a while, but here goes:

A tactical game seen from above where you controlled some form of mechs against an alien invasion. Before the first mission, you picked as your avatar either a guy who was all about tactical combat and smart solutions and another guy that said something like "I doubt the alien mothership can withstand a nuke". You banter a bit with a person that is basically your aide and then go to your first mission.

Windows demo, as I recall, but not from what year. Think it had 3d graphics of the early variety in-game.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

Well, what is it because now I'm curious.

I don't know, I meant I found the video! But it isn't Time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't know, I meant I found the video! But it isn't Time.

All I can recommend is doing an advanced search on Lemonamiga by number of disks. I tried but no game with 5+ disks is a point and click where the setting changes as dramatically as you described. Altered Destiny has a weird dual worlds thing going on but no castles or giant laser beam robot.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

cmndstab posted:

One of the Alundra games perhaps?

It might have been Alundra 1, since I've played that one a few times.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Capsaicin posted:

I've heard Dark Cloud is good, but that is not it.

I'll end up thinking of it in the next day or two. Watch it be like, Super Mario 64 or some poo poo.

Donkey Kong 64

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Capsaicin posted:

Etrian Odyssey 4 does that, though that's a lot newer than ps1/ps2. Might want more detail about anything if you can think of it, like setting, environment, enemies, etc

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

evilmiera posted:

Not sure if I've asked this before, it's been a while, but here goes:

A tactical game seen from above where you controlled some form of mechs against an alien invasion. Before the first mission, you picked as your avatar either a guy who was all about tactical combat and smart solutions and another guy that said something like "I doubt the alien mothership can withstand a nuke". You banter a bit with a person that is basically your aide and then go to your first mission.

Windows demo, as I recall, but not from what year. Think it had 3d graphics of the early variety in-game.

Sounds like bedlam?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I have very vague memories of a game from my early childhood that I found perplexing but haven't seen since. It was on the NES and you were a witch. I remember there being brooms and powerups and the witch changed color. I kind of want to say it was sort of a Megaman-inspired game in that way but I don't really remember much about it. Which is perplexing...my uncle had a copy of it but I never saw it ever again after we played it some. It must not have been very good.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I have very vague memories of a game from my early childhood that I found perplexing but haven't seen since. It was on the NES and you were a witch. I remember there being brooms and powerups and the witch changed color. I kind of want to say it was sort of a Megaman-inspired game in that way but I don't really remember much about it. Which is perplexing...my uncle had a copy of it but I never saw it ever again after we played it some. It must not have been very good.

The Krion Conquest. I did a lovely partial LP of it several years ago, and still couldn't remember the name until I checked. :v:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

The Krion Conquest. I did a lovely partial LP of it several years ago, and still couldn't remember the name until I checked. :v:

Yup, that's the one. Thanks.

...wow I was right, that game isn't very good.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yup, that's the one. Thanks.

...wow I was right, that game isn't very good.

I dunno, it's reasonably fun for a game of it's age. It is kind of bullshit in level layouts and boss mechanics sometimes, if I recall. It's probably not the worst Megaman ripoff of all time.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zaodai posted:

I dunno, it's reasonably fun for a game of it's age. It is kind of bullshit in level layouts and boss mechanics sometimes, if I recall. It's probably not the worst Megaman ripoff of all time.

Actually I'm kind of wondering if that's why I forgot most of the details. It was neither good nor bad enough to really stick out in my memory. There are certainly worse games to be played.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Play Magical Kids Doropie which is the Japanese version and has extended cut scenes and a Continue option which was curiously removed from the American release. It actually takes the game from a bad Mega Man clone to an okay Mega Man clone.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
This is a strange one. It was an I think early CD-era PC game, first-person point-and-click adventure game with prerendered graphics and live actors like Myst. You were some sort of time traveller and you go back to some sort of Aztec(?) city looking for an artifact or a piece of a time machine or something. You can scan other people and use your future suit to look like them, which you use to fool a fat guy who wants to go to a festival into thinking you're his sister who will watch his shop for him while he's gone. You have a sassy male AI that talks to you sometimes. I only ever had the demo and I've no idea what it was called at all.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Mzbundifund posted:

This is a strange one. It was an I think early CD-era PC game, first-person point-and-click adventure game with prerendered graphics and live actors like Myst. You were some sort of time traveller and you go back to some sort of Aztec(?) city looking for an artifact or a piece of a time machine or something. You can scan other people and use your future suit to look like them, which you use to fool a fat guy who wants to go to a festival into thinking you're his sister who will watch his shop for him while he's gone. You have a sassy male AI that talks to you sometimes. I only ever had the demo and I've no idea what it was called at all.
Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time maybe?

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
This description is going to be extremely vague, because I only played it once for a short period of time. A DOS game that was a platformer, had either a black or starry background, and may or may not have been math related.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Andorra posted:

This description is going to be extremely vague, because I only played it once for a short period of time. A DOS game that was a platformer, had either a black or starry background, and may or may not have been math related.

Math Rescue. The enemies, aliens from the planet Glixer II, were later reused in the ultra-obscure Rescue the Scientists.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Math Rescue. The enemies, aliens from the planet Glixer II, were later reused in the ultra-obscure Rescue the Scientists.

That's it, thanks!

The Postman
May 12, 2007

This is from my early memories so bear with me. The game was a sidescroller for the NES where I believe you played as someone sneaking around a dark city in the first level. Thats all I played of it but I can still remember the tune that played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The Postman posted:

This is from my early memories so bear with me. The game was a sidescroller for the NES where I believe you played as someone sneaking around a dark city in the first level. Thats all I played of it but I can still remember the tune that played.

Was it Nightshade by any chance?