Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football?
This poll is closed.
A harsh mistress 26 18.06%
A hate-verse allergic to love 14 9.72%
A flayer of souls 28 19.44%
A wait at the DMV that ends with a surly attendant telling you that you don't have the right documents 76 52.78%
Total: 144 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Sash! posted:

"Nationwide is on your side...and the Nittany Lions side!" was burned into my brain after hearing it during what seemed like every single TV timeout ever

Is "and the Nittany Lions side" sung to the same tune?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Zoran posted:

Is "and the Nittany Lions side" sung to the same tune?

Sadly the whole thing was spoken. Might have been less bothersome if it had been sung.

Nothing is as bad as "SUNOCO RACE FUEL" in football. Yet.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Like every other ad at Dix Stadium is an Ametek ad.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

And as other people have pointed out to you it takes a while for this to happen. The RichRod years sucked for you but it was three years and he was gone, then Hoke pulled people back in with a bullshit 11-2 year before starting on this...highly mediocre at best stretch.

Other than that the worst you've had to deal with in forever is the end of Moeller and the beginning of Carr which wasn't even that bad.

As an aside how in the hell did Michigan end up with three ties in 1992?

With the canning of Borges and the hiring of Nussmeier, there was actually a lot of optimism for this year's team, that they could hit maybe 9 or 10 wins. There was nothing about the team itself that would have caused a precipitous drop in ticket demand.

While there are no scientific surveys involved, the only reason I heard last winter from people who were dropping their season tickets was that they were fed up with Brandon and the in-stadium atmosphere. Nobody said they were tired of supporting a bad team, precisely because this was not expected to be a bad team.

Hence the claim that it's simply a lagging effect doesn't seem to have a lot of actual credence behind it, other than wishful thinking.

Michigan ended up with 3 ties in 1992 because the NCAA didn't start their tie-breaking overtime rules until 1994. Ties were common before then.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Sash! posted:

"Nationwide is on your side...and the Nittany Lions side!" was burned into my brain after hearing it during what seemed like every single TV timeout ever

That seems a bit unnerving, jeez.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Deteriorata posted:

Michigan ended up with 3 ties in 1992 because the NCAA didn't start their tie-breaking overtime rules until 1994. Ties were common before then.

I'm actually more interested in this now (and honestly no one is convincing anyone else in this argument so just let it happen and hope everyone gets fired). I know they had ties back then, but three in a year seems like a lot.

You don't always have a choice in these things but were any of them just accepting the tie?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Deteriorata posted:

Maybe 95. UF-FSU had the "Choke at Doak" tie in 94. Of course, I don't know what the original overtime rules were off the top of my head.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I know a fair number of people who gave up on Michigan after the two attempted losses against Akron and UCONN, then they were kinda drawn back in but Michigan State stomped any hope they had out and I don't believe they've used their tickets this year and are keeping them hoping they redeem some value a few years down the road.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah I mean anyone can make money or fill a stadium when a team is contending for national titles or conference titles. Notre Dame continued its sellout streak during the Dark Times. I can't imagine that even in the down years for Alabama, Auburn, or any other huge program that there has been as much apathy as there seems to be from Michigan fans.

Raising ticket prices in a state hit especially hard by the recession while trotting out a continually worse and worse team each season seems pretty tone deaf.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I'm actually more interested in this now (and honestly no one is convincing anyone else in this argument so just let it happen and hope everyone gets fired). I know they had ties back then, but three in a year seems like a lot.

You don't always have a choice in these things but were any of them just accepting the tie?

I'm not sure what you mean by "accepting" the tie. When the game ended, that was it. If the score was tied, it didn't matter.

A tie was better than a loss, so you'd play for the tie and hope for a chance at a last minute field goal. If it didn't happen, or it was missed, you still had the tie at least. Rarely would anyone go for two after a late TD rather than kick for a tie. There wasn't enough reward for the win to compensate for the risk of losing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Deteriorata posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by "accepting" the tie. When the game ended, that was it. If the score was tied, it didn't matter.

Nebraska could have tied by choice in the Orange Bowl in 1984 but went for two, that's the type of situation I'm talking about. Or maybe a 4th and 5 at around the 20 yard line with 30 seconds left where you have to decide whether to kick a field goal to tie or go for it to try to win, that type of thing.

Like I said it's not exactly a common thing, just wondering if anything like that applied with any of those games.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It'd be one thing if he was changing actual you know, important things. Like if he got rid of the booster banner that all the players touch or if he painted over The Team, The Team, The Team in the tunnel. But he's not. He's trying to find ways to get people to come out and watch a product that is not very good (which are due to coaches he hired to be fair). Get mad at him for backing Brady Hoke after gross negligence and sitting in on meetings that I'm sure coaches don't want him at. He just chose to support a lame duck coach who put an injured and possibly concussed teenage kid in even more danger, that's awful and something he should be fired for.

Getting mad about bottled water being sold for stadium prices in a, well, stadium is really funny though and I'm going to mock you for it.

As Det said, there was never a problem of empty seats before Brandon. Brandon created the problem out of whole cloth, with the absolute worst business sense possible. Brandon is simultaneously jacking up ticket prices while giving people what they don't wait, while also indigantly insisting that the very thing they complain about is what they really want and they should know better.

The tipping point this week is that Brady Hoke lost all support on campus. Originally, people liked Hoke while recognizing he might be in over his head, and hated Brandon. Now, Brandon is even more hated, and Hoke was unmasked to everyone as the stooge (lummox) that he has been all this time.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

That's where we have a fundamental disagreement. You think the extracurriculars are driving fans away, I think the fact that the team is upper level MAC quality is driving people away. If the team wasn't a complete and utter embarrassment I'm pretty sure nobody would care about water bottles and picnic baskets. Granted, that's impossible to prove but you get my take.

Team wins games, people come.
Team struggles with Akron, Miami of Ohio, loses to Utah, Minnesota, people don't come.

And I'm sure you're right to a certain level, I bet there are fans out there who would go watch them play Minnesota but aren't due to advertisements in the stadium and expensive Sodexo food. But I firmly believe that that number is minuscule by itself and is only possibly a relevant number this season because of just how God awful and un-watchable the team currently is.

People came from 2008-2013 perfectly fine. The only attendance crisis started after Brandon changed the student section to an unworkable arrangement, allowing him to claim that students weren't coming, so he could shrink the student section and use those seats for corporate giveaways (Cokes) and Groupon.

Deteriorata posted:

Attendance didn't start dropping until Brandon started his campaign of changing everything.

It goes beyond just changing everything, it goes to Brandon's arrogantly tone-deaf level of 'customer service'. So many season ticket holders have left for the following three reasons:

1. Ticket prices shoot way up, for worse and worse game experiences.
2. The athletic department responds with the message that the high prices are justified, to pay for all those things people didn't like or want in the first place. Also gently caress you for complaining, do you know who Dave Brandon is?
3. Brandon goes on a press junket of local media to talk about how great a job he's doing.

If Michigan football stayed exactly the same off the field, the focus would be on Hoke. Until Shane Morris re-entered the game, all the hate was on Brandon, for good reason. Everything Brandon has done is to change Michigan athletics to make it all about himself, from changing the football game experience to insisting that he be the first person to cut down a piece of the net when Michigan Basketball wins in the NCAA tournament. On the personal level, he's offended almost every individual fan in some way, intentionally, because the whole athletic department is mainly Brandon swinging his dick around unprovoked.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Mahoning posted:

Yeah I mean anyone can make money or fill a stadium when a team is contending for national titles or conference titles. Notre Dame continued its sellout streak during the Dark Times. I can't imagine that even in the down years for Alabama, Auburn, or any other huge program that there has been as much apathy as there seems to be from Michigan fans.

Raising ticket prices in a state hit especially hard by the recession while trotting out a continually worse and worse team each season seems pretty tone deaf.

Thank you! This is the central point. Michigan's "customer base" (which is a terrible way to look at your alumni and students, but Pizza CEO) have been priced out of what they consider acceptable. A student season ticket, for instance, was 285 dollars last year. For an experience that much of the fanbase does not like, to watch a team that does not win. You can laugh at our wistfulness to bring in a bottle of water that didn't cost 5 dollars or a sandwich for your children that doesn't cost 8.50, but people were used to that, and it was taken away without any concession.

These are the same people that tried to ban those foam seat cushions in order to rent semi-permanent ones for the season. The backlash on that was quick and severe. The backlash on the rest of this is becoming severe.

Neodoomium fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 29, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Nebraska could have tied by choice in the Orange Bowl in 1983 but went for two, that's the type of situation I'm talking about. Or maybe a 4th and 5 at around the 20 yard line with 30 seconds left where you have to decide whether to kick a field goal to tie or go for it to try to win, that type of thing.

That sort of decision varied by coaches and programs, and personnel. As a general rule, the inferior or visiting team would play for the tie, while the superior or home team would be expected to go for the win. Most of the time teams would play for the tie regardless. Not losing was more important than winning.

That actually didn't come up all that often, though. Maybe one game a year at most would come down to it. Most ties happened just because nobody could score and time ran out.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

insh'allah

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Every time I see the word "Ohio" these days I'm overcome with the urge to kiss Frank Beamer

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
You know, even though Iowa State is currently 1-3, they're probably one of the best 1-3 teams in the country right now. They've lost to NDSU, which currently has an FBS winning streak longer than 90% of the FBS and an overall win streak approaching 30 games, longest in the country and in the top 15 longest winstreaks in NCAA football ever. They've lost to Kansas State, which took Auburn to the wire and should honestly have beaten the ever loving poo poo out of the national runners up but poo poo the bed at the worst moments imaginable. They've lost to Baylor, which is one of the frontrunners for the national playoff. When Kansas State goes to Norman to take on Oklahoma in a few weeks, that loss could look even better.

I'm not saying ISU is going to come anywhere near the playoff, obviously, but the way Texas Tech is playing, and the way Texas is playing, and the way Kansas is playing, they've got pretty drat good shots in all three of those games, and Oklahoma State isn't too lofty a goal for an upset.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

I mean, for real. Sure, Brady Hoke allowed a 19 year old to get hit so hard he forgot mathematics, but if Michigan is Rutgers' first conference win, that's TRULY unacceptable.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

:vince:

Did this come from that dude on ShaggyBevo? The style looks familiar.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

:vince:

Did this come from that dude on ShaggyBevo? The style looks familiar.

Yes. The dude has a website, Prevail and Ride, where he posts weekly "Shame-Paints". I'd post the whole set, but there are dicks in it, including Steve Spurrier's farmer-tan dick.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

One other thing I almost forgot to mention about the Texas offense situation (and that I haven't seen mentioned much elsewhere).

During both the UCLA and the Kansas games, the offense was focused less on scoring quickly and more on just staying on the field as long as possible. That was one of the biggest contributors in the BYU loss; the defense was on the field about 60% of the time, and they got worn down and less able to do their jobs as the game went on. Whereas in the other 2 games, both sides had closer to a 50/50 split in playing time, so the defense had more time to rest and held out better as a result.

I don't think this fully justifies the performance against Kansas, but it might help to explain some of the playcalling decisions on the offensive side of the ball, which in turn might help to explain why they only scored 23 points instead of going for more.

I'm not sure how they're going to tailor this strategy against Baylor, but it wouldn't surprise me if Texas has some tricks up their sleeve that we haven't seen yet.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 29, 2014

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Rice won a game! :unsmith:

Operation "Lose A Bunch of Money on the Hawaii Bowl" is still on.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

Chump Farts posted:

I hope they know something I don't. Oregon is really good, but we showed some heavy loving flaws. I gotta bank on turnovers and blackshirts loving up.

It pains me to say this because we've had a bit of a rivalry the past 5 years, but I think you guys are far and away the best team in the B1G, as in like being favored by a TD over everyone on a neutral field. Nebraska has a horrible QB and MSU is traditionally great against the run. Not to mention that your offense looks better than in the past.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Nimmy posted:

It pains me to say this because we've had a bit of a rivalry the past 5 years, but I think you guys are far and away the best team in the B1G, as in like being favored by a TD over everyone on a neutral field. Nebraska has a horrible QB and MSU is traditionally great against the run. Not to mention that your offense looks better than in the past.

Not that I expect Nebraska to beat MSU (but I wouldn't be shocked if they do), but you're wrong on both accounts here.

Armstrong isn't a top tier quarterback but he's also not complete dogshit either. He'll probably throw at least one pick against MSU but he'll also beat them on at least a couple of deep balls and give them fits with his running ability.

And MSU might be traditionally great defending the run, but not against Nebraska - Nebraska has averaged over 200 rushing yards/game against MSU the last three years.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

LeeMajors posted:

Maybe 95. UF-FSU had the "Choke at Doak" tie in 94. Of course, I don't know what the original overtime rules were off the top of my head.

Very similar, but with no requirement that you had to go for two on the third one.

Georgia-Auburn had a four-overtime one in 1996. It was 28-28 in regulation and ended 56-49 UGA.

Here's the box score.

That was also the game Robert Baker made the unwise decision to taunt Uga after he scored.

Edit: Upon seeing a replay on YouTube, Baker didn't taunt him and for some stupid reason, Uga was within five feet of the endzone. Still the most memorable thing those dogs have done, except die in rapid succession.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foGHh14uvKk

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 29, 2014

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

LLCoolJD posted:

They weren't garbage but they clearly weren't even in the same league as Alabama. When Eddie Lacy trampled through the linebackers it was clear things were going to get ugly. Problem is, they had the best resume heading into the game, so I can't think of who else deserved to go.

Oregon.

Notre Dame was a paper tiger, their wins were squeakers over medicore opponents.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Strobe posted:

You know, even though Iowa State is currently 1-3, they're probably one of the best 1-3 teams in the country right now.

This should be on the loving school crest.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

effectual posted:

Oregon.

Notre Dame was a paper tiger, their wins were squeakers over medicore opponents.

Their SOS stacked up with every other contender and they beat the same Stanford team who handed Oregon their only loss.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MourningView posted:

Their SOS stacked up with every other contender and they beat the same Stanford team who handed Oregon their only loss.

Well they might have beaten them if the refs had allowed the game to continue.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Grittybeard posted:

Well they might have beaten them if the refs had allowed the game to continue.

A Pitt team that barely went bowling took ND to triple overtime in the last couple games of the season. They weren't second best team in the country at all.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

effectual posted:

Oregon.

Oregon couldn't even win the Pac-12 that year. I mean, I think Oregon had the best chance of showing up on the same field as Alabama, but resumes are resumes and Notre Dame went undefeated including a questionable call against Stanford.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Neodoomium posted:

Thank you! This is the central point. Michigan's "customer base" (which is a terrible way to look at your alumni and students, but Pizza CEO) have been priced out of what they consider acceptable. A student season ticket, for instance, was 285 dollars last year. For an experience that much of the fanbase does not like, to watch a team that does not win. You can laugh at our wistfulness to bring in a bottle of water that didn't cost 5 dollars or a sandwich for your children that doesn't cost 8.50, but people were used to that, and it was taken away without any concession.

These are the same people that tried to ban those foam seat cushions in order to rent semi-permanent ones for the season. The backlash on that was quick and severe. The backlash on the rest of this is becoming severe.

Holy gently caress. I think ours are just under 200 and were less than that when I attended.

Noctone posted:

Not that I expect Nebraska to beat MSU (but I wouldn't be shocked if they do), but you're wrong on both accounts here.

Armstrong isn't a top tier quarterback but he's also not complete dogshit either. He'll probably throw at least one pick against MSU but he'll also beat them on at least a couple of deep balls and give them fits with his running ability.

And MSU might be traditionally great defending the run, but not against Nebraska - Nebraska has averaged over 200 rushing yards/game against MSU the last three years.

This year a few broken crossing routes seems like the new normal. 2012 and 2013 Abdullah had over 100 rushing, and 2012 Martinez burned us a few times. I could see this going either way, but it seems like Nebraska always has our number.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
All the poor losing record big 12 teams are some of the best in the country. WVU had the tougest schedule, which everyone always clamors for, but oh they lost to basically the top 2 teams. ISU is better than they appear and i have a soft spot for them since they have good fans and a coach who actually tries to win games. I remember when even Baylor wouldnt do an onsides kick even when the offense scored every possession (wvu game). I feel bad for smu and buffalo because they probably scheduled baylor and other similar teams a few years ago when they sucked and instead of a close loss they get destroyed on national tv.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

This should be on the loving school crest.

Iowa State: Winning the second half since 1862

I do agree with him though, the teams we've lost to are 11-1, with that one loss being in K-State's tight game with Auburn. Not a lot of teams would be better than 2-2 right now with ISU's schedule so far.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 29, 2014

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Detroit_Dogg posted:

upper level MAC quality

Wow, I never thought Detroit_Dogg would pay Michigan a compliment.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I knew BG would get into some track meet games but I didn't expect one to come against loving UMass of all teams.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Chump Farts posted:

This year a few broken crossing routes seems like the new normal. 2012 and 2013 Abdullah had over 100 rushing, and 2012 Martinez burned us a few times. I could see this going either way, but it seems like Nebraska always has our number.

God that '12 game was the taylormartinezest game of Taylor Martinez's career. Played like an idiot, then willed his team to victory.

On the other hand, we have yet to see Armstrong really bring the team back from behind late (we saw Ron Kellogg in that situation last year), and I'm not looking forward to it, never mind that we have one of the best RBs in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Strobe posted:

I'm not saying ISU is going to come anywhere near the playoff, obviously, but the way Texas Tech is playing, and the way Texas is playing, and the way Kansas is playing, they've got pretty drat good shots in all three of those games, and Oklahoma State isn't too lofty a goal for an upset.

Oklahoma State will be tough because they're always tough to play in Stillwater. High mountain to climb.

ISU could win the rest of their home games. I'm still not sold on OU being unbeatable. Their remaining road games line up fairly nicely as well: DKR is not an intimidating place to play, KU is probably going winless this season, and TCU has a nice win over Minnesota, but the rest of their competition has been horrible.

If ISU stays healthy, they could have a last half of the season kinda like KSU's last year, where they lose to the FCS team and then turn it around to wind up top half of the Big XII.

Could.

• Locked thread