Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Yeah no hit detection on anything but bombs + ground.

What? Dammit, so I have been wasting all this time for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

That poo poo has gotten so annoying lately. Why the gently caress did they change it?

The official reason is that apparently it's possible to make it back to base and repair without a wing or tail. Thus, giving a kill to a player who takes a plane's wing off would be inaccurate because ~theoretically~ the wingless plane could survive.

Of course surviving after losing a wing only happens in-game on broken flightmodels such as the old B17 or old Zero, and as far as I know there's no record of a WW2 plane managing to perform a soft landing after losing an entire wing, but the kill system has to revolve around the 1 in a million chance of a lost wing not being fatal because ~reasons~.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

What rounds do people run on the T-34-57 that make it wreck so much poo poo? Is it APHE, because I mostly run APHEBC, but I don't rack up as many one-shot kills as other people I see who run the tank.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Yeah no hit detection on anything but bombs + ground.
This is very much not true, unless it's been changed in the last two weeks:

But it may well have, my desktop pooped the bed and I'm waiting for parts to arrive.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 29, 2014

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Tactical Bonnet posted:

But it may well have, my desktop pooped the bed and I'm waiting for parts to arrive.

That normally means you cought a plane in the explosion, not that the bomb hit them.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

:hellyeah:

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Plan Z posted:

What rounds do people run on the T-34-57 that make it wreck so much poo poo? Is it APHE, because I mostly run APHEBC, but I don't rack up as many one-shot kills as other people I see who run the tank.
Seemed basically identical aside from one having marginally better penetration in my experience. Either it's all in your head that others are one-shotting more or you're shooting bad spots for making them go boom.

Tactical Bonnet posted:

They've definitely confirmed it's not a thing for bombs to have collision with planes. You killed that guy because he was too low over where your bombs went boom.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah you can sometimes do it on purpose with a steep climb up a cliff face, a huge bomb and a long timer, but most of the time it's bizarre luck or just you bombing airfields with bros on them.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Plan Z posted:

APHE is better for the slightly increased penetration. Never use the APCR, it's pretty trash at doing damage and I find the APHE can penetrate just about anything except maybe the front of the Pz4/70 past 250 meters or so. Since it's such a small shell it really lacks the one-hit KO power that the 85mm has, it matters mostly where you shoot. I find a shot to the turret face just to the left (your right) of the gun will kill or disable most German tanks. It will at least kill the gunner and commander meaning you can follow up with the kill shot. Against the Tiger it will usually be a straight up kill since the turret is packed with ammo.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
Cartoon mode may be silly, but sometimes things get interesting! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9m3cpmF9gQ

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I just started playing again for the first time in a while and most of my games have ended in me catching fire and having every detachable part of my plane flying off seconds later because of it :(

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Generation Internet posted:

I just started playing again for the first time in a while and most of my games have ended in me catching fire and having every detachable part of my plane flying off seconds later because of it :(

It went from an all-you-can-eat buffet for wings into everything is on fire.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

gently caress this event and its matchmaker. (Each of us had 320 rounds)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Don't do headons.

Azran posted:

gently caress this event and its matchmaker. (Each of us had 320 rounds)

Had not looked at the even yet. What planes does the other side get?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Bf109 F4s, then BF110s and Mc202/200s.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Sick gif. One of my favourite things about the early Spitfires is how the guns run along the entire wing rather than staying clustered near the roots.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
So did they give every plane fire extinguishers something?

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Robot Randy posted:

So did they give every plane fire extinguishers something?

Some planes have it as an unlock able upgrade, but fire seems to just be happening way easier than usual right now.
Its the new Wing snap.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
What plane has an unlockable fire extinguisher?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Heliosicle posted:

The panther.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

WirelessPillow posted:

Some planes have it as an unlock able upgrade, but fire seems to just be happening way easier than usual right now.
Its the new Wing snap.

I keep torching dudes but the fire either goes out next to immediately or they just keep chugging along. I've noticed it when I've been set alight too.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The burning is a bit more frequent than before but nowhere near as bad as the wing snap. It's very playable again.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Increased airfield health will not make it into 1.43, it's not even in the plans for that patch.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

So wing-snap isn't actually a thing anymore, or they toned it down? I've been out of the loop for like a month until I could drag my computer to my new apartment, and finally got to play a couple games last night and was have turret gunners just slice my wings off in what felt like single hits at 700m+ while maneuvering / at high speeds / whatever.

Could have just been bad luck or bad flying though, I'm pretty terrible.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
If you've never noticed (like I didn't for the longest time because I'm an idiot) you can rank up your crew and the gunners on my B25 because vicious killing machines once I spent all of my experience I had built up on that crew making them shoot better.

They pretty much shoot lasers now and it's typical for me to get a 3-4x hit combo on a bombing run if I'm being stupid and flying now. I usually shoot down 2-3 planes before doing down myself in these situations.

That said I haven't played in the last two weeks so I don't know how things have changed.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

So wing-snap isn't actually a thing anymore, or they toned it down? I've been out of the loop for like a month until I could drag my computer to my new apartment, and finally got to play a couple games last night and was have turret gunners just slice my wings off in what felt like single hits at 700m+ while maneuvering / at high speeds / whatever.

Could have just been bad luck or bad flying though, I'm pretty terrible.

It still happens, but not just by having a wing be hit with a blown kiss, so not all the time basically.

That being said, the tendency to be set on fire makes bombers more dangerous with their turrets now.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Instead of your wings snapping after being brushed, you get lit on fire. Fire isn't always an instant death so technically survivability is up. Also, planes as a whole have been toughened up. If you're lucky enough to avoid fire you can keep going for a long time.

2 PM EST is apparently Nazi rally time since I'm getting nothing but battles against Germans.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
Todays event let's you fly a 109F4 and totally shoot down all those OP :ussr: planes. [spoiler]Might not be OP.[spoiler]

I made the same player crash his plane two rounds in a row. Deliberate crashes. Though I'll admit that a P40 can't really touch a 109F4. Unless you somehow climb at 50% throttle or something.

Damage model might be a bit firefriendly. But it's working pretty sweet in all other aspects. B17s go down with single/dual 20mms.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I'll definitely take the extra flammability over the glass wings. It gives me an excuse to run tracer belts on my P-47s. :flame:

E: vvvvv It's not just you. Gaijin pushed a serverside fix that made plane bodies as a whole more resilient. They made up for it by apparently dunking the planes in gasoline.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 29, 2014

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"
Is it just me or have damage models gotten a lot more resilient? I'm regularly pouring hundreds of rounds into planes, hitting, getting crits, lighting them on fire, and they're still not going down.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I will say that lighting four different engines on fire is quite the sight when bomber hunting.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

The panther.

I must be missing the joke because no, neither Panther has an unlockable fire extinguisher. :shrug:

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

El Disco posted:

I must be missing the joke because no, neither Panther has an unlockable fire extinguisher. :shrug:

He's not talking about the jet :ssh:

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I've never really been angry at this game before, but holy gently caress is it ever annoying to lose the game to ticket bleed while the enemy bar is draining because I killed their last plane.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Fart Car '97 posted:

He's not talking about the jet :ssh:

mlmp08 posted:

Heliosicle posted:

The panther.

I guess it's just a bad joke?

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I've never really been angry at this game before, but holy gently caress is it ever annoying to lose the game to ticket bleed while the enemy bar is draining because I killed their last plane.

Three loving games in a row. What the gently caress, Berlin.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

El Disco posted:

The panther.

I guess it's just a bad joke?
[/quote]

I think the joke is pretty good given that Gaijin itself labeled the panther tank as an F9F-2 in that new killcam demonstration.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Even worse is when it hits zero for them..but still registered as a Defeat for us because it happened at the exact same tick as ours ticking 0 too.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Three loving games in a row. What the gently caress, Berlin.

Hah, that's nothing. The other night I got four multi-point dominations in a row. My team lost every single one. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Vadoc posted:

Even worse is when it hits zero for them..but still registered as a Defeat for us because it happened at the exact same tick as ours ticking 0 too.

Two double-losses in a row last night on mutual airfield kills. :smithicide:

• Locked thread