Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
This isn't exactly an LP question but it's related, does anyone know any good sites to get old cables for old consoles on the cheap? I just moved and I can't seem to find my SNES power brick, my PS2 component cables, or my Xbox (original) power cable. Amazon has decent prices but because they're all from authorized sellers I'm getting charged a separate shipping cost on each item and the shipping's like 30 bucks for about 4 dollars worth of cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know any website, but you might want to consider looking at older specialty video game stores near you. So if I were looking for old cables, I'd try Game Underground. Although I'm pretty sure you live on the exact opposite side of the country, so that almost certainly won't help since they don't ship stuff online. Unless you want to try and go to PAX East since they usually have a booth there. :v:

You could also see if any of the authorized retailers Amazon is pointing you towards have a single storefront you can order everything you need from.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Mico posted:

This isn't exactly an LP question but it's related, does anyone know any good sites to get old cables for old consoles on the cheap? I just moved and I can't seem to find my SNES power brick, my PS2 component cables, or my Xbox (original) power cable. Amazon has decent prices but because they're all from authorized sellers I'm getting charged a separate shipping cost on each item and the shipping's like 30 bucks for about 4 dollars worth of cables.

There's always eBay. I'm sure you can find a video game cables vendor that has everything.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

Xenoveritas posted:

I don't know any website, but you might want to consider looking at older specialty video game stores near you. So if I were looking for old cables, I'd try Game Underground. Although I'm pretty sure you live on the exact opposite side of the country, so that almost certainly won't help since they don't ship stuff online. Unless you want to try and go to PAX East since they usually have a booth there. :v:

You could also see if any of the authorized retailers Amazon is pointing you towards have a single storefront you can order everything you need from.

Not anymore I don't but I'm not willing to drive all the way up to Connecticut just for some power cords.

Also yeah just I tried looking through a single seller's storefront and it cut the shipping down by half but it's still 15 and change just for the shipping.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Framingham, Massachusetts actually. They're only at Foxwoods for some tournament they're throwing.

But try searching "used video game stores" on Google Maps near you. If shipping is $15, there's a good chance finding a closer used games store (not GameStop, like a specialty store) would be cheaper, even taking gas into account.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
If you want to go to one of the lovely -hams of MA, make it Needham or Waltham. Don't go to Framingham.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
There's nothing wrong with Framingham. It is, after all, the corporate headquarters of TJX, best known for being hacked and having tens of millions of credit card numbers stolen from them! Also home to the corporate headquarters of Cumberland Farms, Staples, and Bose.

OK, so none of that makes it worth visiting.

Although if you want old NES/SNES parts in New England, it's still your best bet.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Does anyone know how to set Premiere's resizing algorithm to be nearest neighbor?

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
Hey, I have a simple question. I am going to be using DeSmuME for a couple of the games in my Kingdom Hearts thread and I was wondering if it was possible to record the gameplay directly from the emulator or if I need to use FRAPs.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

jayman52 posted:

Hey, I have a simple question. I am going to be using DeSmuME for a couple of the games in my Kingdom Hearts thread and I was wondering if it was possible to record the gameplay directly from the emulator or if I need to use FRAPs.

Taken directly from Wikipedia

"DeSmuME supports save states, Dynamic recompilation(JIT), V-sync, the ability to increase the size of the screen,filters to improve image quality and has software(Softrasterizer) and OpenGL rendering. DeSmuME also supports microphone use on Windows and Linux ports, as well as direct video and audio recording. The emulator also features a built-in movie recorder."

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space
Pretty sure it has built in recording, which should beat our fraps since it'll correct any fps drops/sound skips etc. Unless you do live commentary I guess.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

DesMuMe can do AVI recording in whatever choice of codec you want, but there'll probably be some slowdown as you record so don't do live commentary because the playback recording will be at the game's normal speed.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Record a movie file first instead. It won't slow down while you're playing because it's just recording inputs. Then, play back the movie file and start an avi recording to lagarith (or other codec of choice). Then I can hack away in avisynth. That was my workflow for cooking mama.

Also w/r/t the cables thing, I was asking for websites not to be directed on a 5 hour car journey. So, yeah, any websites would be helpful.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
The problem is you've almost certainly already found the websites people are going to direct you to: the ones that cost $15 shipping. The type of store that stocks old SNES cables and sells stuff online almost certainly does so through Amazon and you already found them.

Which means you're either going to have to soak up the shipping cost or find a nearby specialty store.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mico posted:

Also w/r/t the cables thing, I was asking for websites not to be directed on a 5 hour car journey. So, yeah, any websites would be helpful.

YamiNoSenshi posted:

There's always eBay. I'm sure you can find a video game cables vendor that has everything.

A quick search for "SNES power cord" on eBay shows some decent cheap "Buy-It-Now" results with free shipping. eBay's probably going to be your best bet.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mico posted:

Your best bet is finding a local gaming store that buys/sells old games and consoles. If they don't have it, you'll have to go online and trying to find what you want is certainly going to be on those big websites like Ebay and Amazon. If you buy multiple things from a seller, they won't make you pay shipping twice and there's literally no harm in sending them an e-mail inquiring about that your potential purchase.

That said, if you still don't like the fact that you have to pay shipping then this VVV is your best option.

Mega64 posted:

A quick search for "SNES power cord" on eBay shows some decent cheap "Buy-It-Now" results with free shipping. eBay's probably going to be your best bet.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
So in an attempt to get more with it. I've told bandicam to record both the game audio and microphone and save them as audio tracks. I did a test run video with really careless audio settings and the game audio (when music played) blew out the vocals. This was a screw around vid but made me pursue better options.

So now I can just put the WAV of my vocals over my game footage. I can also touch up / noise reduce / hard limit etc now and save out the mp4. Much better than mixing both and hoping the stars align right?

Is this a good idea? If I ever get any AV desync I can cut up vocals and patch it together. I'm a barebones vid guy, although I would like to get into short intros and those cool 'click this video!' Picture in picture things At the end of the runtime. I am a total noob and still use movie maker to save out and handbrake to condense size further. Always looking to improve :)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

simosimo posted:

Is this a good idea? If I ever get any AV desync I can cut up vocals and patch it together. I'm a barebones vid guy, although I would like to get into short intros and those cool 'click this video!' Picture in picture things At the end of the runtime. I am a total noob and still use movie maker to save out and handbrake to condense size further. Always looking to improve :)

I don't know whether any visual editors have this capability, but I know Avisynth will let you write a script that does your intro and one that does your outro and let you Import those into any other script, in case you don't feel like copying and pasting - which would also allow you to touch up your intro script so that when you re-encode any of those videos in the future, you'll get the improved version automatically. That may or may not be what you want.

As for the volume levels between tracks, if you do audio editing in Audacity, you can set the relative levels of each track trivially - just decrease the game volume until you like the way they sound together. I tend to find a setting that works for each game I record and just decrease the game volume that much every time, and increase my own audio a bit, although you need to be careful doing that because it increases any noise as well. Any other program should allow you to tweak the audio levels of each track separately (I know Avisynth does, but I rarely use it that way), so check what your options are before messing too much with your recording setup.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Is there any good solution for getting a stream or recording going with remote or group commentary? A buddy of mine and I have been trying to get a weekly or so stream going despite living several hours away from each other, and audio is pretty much the bane of our existence no matter who's playing. I think one of my big problems is I use Macs, and with with Boot Camp I don't even have a Stereo Mix. The Windows based workarounds we've found end up with either one of us or the stream getting a nasty echo too.

Is it basically just assumed in the streaming world that people who are going to be on mic will all be in the same room? Because so far this has basically just been a weekly headache instead of something fun to do.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Post what your current/previous setups have been. Are you just trying to get your friend to be audible on-stream, are you trying to get him game audio as well as your mic audio, what's your goal?

In any case, your solution is most likely going to be Virtual Audio Cables on Windows. If you're daring enough to try streaming on OSX, you can use Soundflower and LineIn, which will get your audio, your friend's audio and the game audio to all come through, but you'll also have to deal with hearing an echo of your voice.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

frozentreasure posted:

Post what your current/previous setups have been. Are you just trying to get your friend to be audible on-stream, are you trying to get him game audio as well as your mic audio, what's your goal?

In any case, your solution is most likely going to be Virtual Audio Cables on Windows. If you're daring enough to try streaming on OSX, you can use Soundflower and LineIn, which will get your audio, your friend's audio and the game audio to all come through, but you'll also have to deal with hearing an echo of your voice.

You actually posted my exact OSX setup right there, so... guess it's time to look into a mixer. :haw:

I've been using a combo of OBS and join.me or TeamViewer, and the end goal is to have one of us be able to see and hear the game in real-time-ish, hear the player chatting, and have both chat audio and game audio plus video go to Twitch. Using remote desktop stuff helps keep our chat in sync, but it's pretty much the part where we have the most problems, since usually we end up with twitch not getting chat audio or whoever's not actively playing not getting the game audio at all.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

So I've been loving around with recording tests for a pretty old game, and now I wonder how I can trick Youtube into giving me the better 720p encoding?

The source is 480x640, so I increased the width of my project to 720. This just adds a bit of black to the sides, while leaving the footage intact. The rendered file also shows 720 as width, but Yt is not giving me the HD encoding. Do I have to do some fancy letterboxing so that Yt believes that the video is 720p?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Tin Tim posted:

So I've been loving around with recording tests for a pretty old game, and now I wonder how I can trick Youtube into giving me the better 720p encoding?

The source is 480x640, so I increased the width of my project to 720. This just adds a bit of black to the sides, while leaving the footage intact. The rendered file also shows 720 as width, but Yt is not giving me the HD encoding. Do I have to do some fancy letterboxing so that Yt believes that the video is 720p?

The height needs to be 720 or more, ie: 720p=1280x720.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Tin Tim posted:

Without knowing exactly what you're doing (is it a phone game and that's why it's taller than it is wide?), I'd say use a point resize to double the resolution. Like judge reinhold said, getting HD resolutions on YouTube is about hitting certain key resolutions: at least 1280x720 for 720p and 1920x1080 for 1080p. However, YouTube supports vertically oriented videos (supposedly, I have not tried this), so a 720x1280 video should be considered "720p" by YouTube. But you have to get to at least that resolution.

Doubling 480x640 to 960x1280 gets you to that HD cutoff point and (again, supposedly, I have not tried this) should "just work" in YouTube and work with any device that can actually be oriented vertically such as a tablet or a cell phone.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Xenoveritas posted:

Without knowing exactly what you're doing (is it a phone game and that's why it's taller than it is wide?), I'd say use a point resize to double the resolution. Like judge reinhold said, getting HD resolutions on YouTube is about hitting certain key resolutions: at least 1280x720 for 720p and 1920x1080 for 1080p. However, YouTube supports vertically oriented videos (supposedly, I have not tried this), so a 720x1280 video should be considered "720p" by YouTube. But you have to get to at least that resolution.

Doubling 480x640 to 960x1280 gets you to that HD cutoff point and (again, supposedly, I have not tried this) should "just work" in YouTube and work with any device that can actually be oriented vertically such as a tablet or a cell phone.

Wouldn't YouTube consider that 1080p, actually? Then again, if it's the same HD pipelining then it really shouldn't matter that much.

Your options are either to add black bars to the top to hit 720p or as Xeno suggested, just double the resolution.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

judge reinhold posted:

The height needs to be 720 or more, ie: 720p=1280x720.
Whoops look at me being a huge retard baby that forgets how things work

I'll make a quick test render to see if bars or double are the way to go

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

ChaosArgate posted:

Wouldn't YouTube consider that 1080p, actually? Then again, if it's the same HD pipelining then it really shouldn't matter that much.

I don't actually know, but in the age of cellphones, 720x1280 and 1080x1920 videos are now increasingly common, as that's what your cellphone will take if you hold it vertically.

I have no idea if cellphones "really" take video in that orientation (I doubt it) or just flag it with metadata saying "this is the orientation of the phone when the video was taken" (much more likely). In any case, YouTube's pipeline expects to deal with vertically oriented video for when people upload a video from their cellphone.

Of course, if it is just looking for a metadata flag, then who knows what'll happen if you upload an actual 960x1280 video. Maybe it will hit the 1080p pipeline and be pillarboxed automatically. I don't know.

And being YouTube, what happens with a video on one day isn't necessarily the same thing that will happen to that very same video if you upload it later during the very same day.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

After testing, I can say that adding bars looks atrocius and will not happen. Double the size is just fine imo. Also, if any of you has a minute, it'd be neat if you'd watch my test to check if it looks okay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RZiluX8RJg

A few things about this though. Well, since it's an old-rear end game, none of our fancy capture programs that need to hook into the application works for it. I tried a bunch of software, and they all failed except good old Hypercam 2. Yeah I know, lol at Hypercam and stuff but it works pretty good! Doesn't grab the .smk videos, but that is no problem as I can just rip&convert them before I edit them back in. What I don't like that much is that the video is a tiny bit blurry. You can see it in the numbers on the control UI on the right. Dunno if that's just Youtube, but I tried a few different codecs without any changes. So if nobody else spots anything bad about my test, I'm pretty happy with it.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Alright, so I recorded a couple missions of Homeworld, and the voices of Fleet Command and Fleet Intelligence are... static~y. But only them, oddly enough. The misc. sounds are good, as is the pilot chatter.

Here's the first mission: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYO2u9UjWzg

I've tried reducing the audio quality in general, and mixing up the output (the input is fine, from other tests), so any second opinions would be helpful.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
It sounds to me like it's clipping. Did you amplify the volume at any point? Does it sound OK in your original recording?

Quaternion Cat
Feb 19, 2011

Affeline Space

Tin Tim posted:

What I don't like that much is that the video is a tiny bit blurry. You can see it in the numbers on the control UI on the right. Dunno if that's just Youtube, but I tried a few different codecs without any changes. So if nobody else spots anything bad about my test, I'm pretty happy with it.

It could just be youtube, but it could also be caused either at capture, during editing, or in your final encode. Since you're probably using pointresize and multiplying up by a factor of 2, it's probably not from the editing. If you're capturing in something lossless with an RGB colour space, and have your encoding quality/bitrate turned up plenty, it's probably going to be youtube. Basically, check your finished video - if it's not in that, then it's youtube. If it is then go up the chain and find out where it turned up and voila you know what happened.

Also holy poo poo final liberation?! I played that game a lot, brings back a lot of memories.

Memories that it was a terrible game.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Xenoveritas posted:

It sounds to me like it's clipping. Did you amplify the volume at any point? Does it sound OK in your original recording?

When I am playing, it sounds perfectly, but when I play back a recording of the same playthrough, the audio distortion is there. Looking at Hypercam, I'm at 16Bit and 8000 samples per second. I think I'm going to jump that to 11025 or higher and see how that turns out.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
8kHz is terribly low, you want at least 44.1kHz.

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."
When streaming on Twitch on the laptop (using OBS or XSplit) I'm using the Twitch app on my phone to chat to the viewers. Is there any easier way to do this? To get the chat, perhaps with some opacity, up on the screen while I'm streaming? Two monitors isn't an option.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Mastigophoran posted:

It could just be youtube, but it could also be caused either at capture, during editing, or in your final encode. Since you're probably using pointresize and multiplying up by a factor of 2, it's probably not from the editing. If you're capturing in something lossless with an RGB colour space, and have your encoding quality/bitrate turned up plenty, it's probably going to be youtube. Basically, check your finished video - if it's not in that, then it's youtube. If it is then go up the chain and find out where it turned up and voila you know what happened.

Also holy poo poo final liberation?! I played that game a lot, brings back a lot of memories.

Memories that it was a terrible game.
After carefully checking my source and render, I'm pretty sure that it's mostly Youtube. It's also not too much of an issue I think now, because it only really shows on two numbers on the UI. The rest of the text and numbers is crisp so whatever.

Also, while this isn't really the place for it, let me say that I don't even know why somebody wouldn't enjoy to murder a sea of orks with artillery, tank battalions and titans :shrug:

The serious answer is that it's kinda terrible in the long run, but I'd do lots of editing later on, and let the thread guide the campaign so that we don't have to play every mission.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Phoenix Taichou posted:

When streaming on Twitch on the laptop (using OBS or XSplit) I'm using the Twitch app on my phone to chat to the viewers. Is there any easier way to do this? To get the chat, perhaps with some opacity, up on the screen while I'm streaming? Two monitors isn't an option.

Is it possible to connect to Twitch chat over IRC? You could connect with something like Hexchat and then just pop that on screen. Is the game you're streaming on your laptop?

Phoenix Taichou
Jun 23, 2010

"Movie reference."

ChaosArgate posted:

Is it possible to connect to Twitch chat over IRC? You could connect with something like Hexchat and then just pop that on screen. Is the game you're streaming on your laptop?

I'm not sure if it is. [edit] Just had a quick GS and there's a guide to connecting IRC chat and Twitch, and it mentions HexChat too, so I'll dig into that, thanks! I've never used IRC before, if you can believe that, is it relatively easy to get your head around? I'm running all games on my laptop, yeah, mostly fullscreen. Most else I stream that isn't fullscreen is windowed but still most of the screen. It's only really Atari ST, Atari 8-Bit, SNES, GB etc that can be played in small windows that allow the chat popout window next to it, it's still easy to see what you're doing and OBS/XSPL fullscreen the game for the stream anyway.

Phoenix Taichou fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 1, 2014

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

8kHz is terribly low, you want at least 44.1kHz.

This, and lowering the volume of the speech as suggested back in the Sandcastle, seem to have resolved my problems. I'm going to re-record and properly and see if that's a proper fix.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Phoenix Taichou posted:

I'm not sure if it is. [edit] Just had a quick GS and there's a guide to connecting IRC chat and Twitch, and it mentions HexChat too, so I'll dig into that, thanks! I've never used IRC before, if you can believe that, is it relatively easy to get your head around? I'm running all games on my laptop, yeah, mostly fullscreen.

It sort of feels like an 80s hacker technology (because it is), but it's not really that different from any modern chat system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I am having a devil of a time with a sudden and strange error arising with my microphone.

I am using a Realtek Headset Mic and it had before now worked splendidly. Now, though, whenever I record with it, it seems to be getting some weird feedback interference--there's a constant humming sound, my voice is really quiet and muffled/distorted and it's absolutely unintelligible. It doesn't seem to be picking up my voice either, just a steady level of acoustic sound, the noise level bars in my Audacity don't go up and down unless I shout.

I don't see any physical damage on the mic itself, so I'm really confused. It is picking up "noise" whether I am speaking or not, like feedback, a hummmmmmmm sound. Can I fix this or is my mic busted?

EDIT: If it helps, this is the headset in question. I've gotten it now so it only makes the weird reverb whenever I talk into it or speak to it, but it's definitely not picking up sound that I'm making. I'm attempting to download fresh drivers to see if that fixes it.

EDIT EDIT: There are no drivers to update. I can't figure out how or why, but I can only conclude that something has gone wrong with my microphone, and now it needs replacing. :( I could get the same brand for $20 but maybe I should upgrade, for around the same price...?

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 2, 2014