Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

Argh, that video just exacerbates my issues with PVP. I can never stunlock or backstab like that guy, ever. Even when using identical tactics. :argh:

I'm convinced this game hates me the second any other players get involved.

Stunlock has been patched to be capped at 2 hits for most weapons. Great axes can still stun like that but that's going to get patched soon. Fists and daggers can often get more than two hits in when powerstanced but that's to be expected.

The backhands backstabs you can do, you just have to learn where the bullshitty ones are like this guy has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
That Bastion PvP video. :allears: No Calamity Cannon/Forbiden Sun though. :colbert:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

When he turns and runs away just pop a Seed of the Giants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Xc5PP1piE

That's what I did, and by the time I got to the bottom of the stairs he was at like 2% health, plus he killed everything else on the way down!

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Dark Souls is funny.

http://i.4cdn.org/v/1411922731627.webm

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I'm impressed that nothing horrible happened there.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Might want to rehost since it will delete off 4chan pretty quick.

Also, impressive.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

I'm super disappointed that it didn't blow up.

bvlah
Aug 21, 2003
A stupid typo

Flame weapon on a lightning enchanted claymore?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Azran posted:

That Bastion PvP video. :allears: No Calamity Cannon/Forbidden Sun though. :colbert:

I don't know if this makes me feel better or worse for thinking the exact same thing.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

When he turns and runs away just pop a Seed of the Giants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7Xc5PP1piE

:wow: Never even considered that as a strategy.

Glad people enjoy these half-tongue and cheek rants as I stumble lamely towards endgame.

So anyway, Lore chat. For reference I'm only up to Shrine of Amana.

Duke's Dear Freja and related:

-It seems pretty obvious that Maughlin the Armourer's home that he can't remember is Tseldora. What exactly happened here? I only realized after killing Duke's Dear Freja that the thing hanging from the ceiling that contained all the spiders was a cocooned Dragon's head. Did the Duke in the Duke's Archives go hollow trying to solve some problem for his Dear Freja that used dragon components and turned Freja into a Spider Monstrosity that then lead to the birth of the spiders that took over Tseldora citizens as hosts? If that's true, why weren't the mages that became Hollow Mages infested? I guess it makes sense that we encounter the Congregation prior to the Duke's Dear Freja because I could imagine the peasants in the Tseldora outskirts turning to priests for succor when Tseldora became spider infested. Also I guess Cromwell the Pardoner's location in Tseldora makes sense given the following quote from the Soul of the Duke's Dear Freja:

"The Writhing Ruin is an ancient thing whose
shadow remains cast over the land. Tseldora
is a place burdened by terrible misdeeds,
and those who remained there were
transformed beyond recognition."

To me this suggests there was a lot of sin (but where isn't there in the Dark Souls universe really) in Tseldora that Cromwell came to forgive or perhaps the peasants thought their sin caused the disaster in Tseldora thus they needed Cromwell. However Cromwell being surrounded by like 5 bodies makes me wonder if he is really a benevolent type at all.

Given all that rampant speculation, I don't know how Manscorpion Tark fits into the Tseldora equation. He says:

"We once had a master. He created us long, long ago.
But he was born with a fatal flaw.
He resented those who had what he lacked, and became fully mired in hatred.
Eventually, he drove himself mad.
It was at the peak of this madness that he conjured up we strange creatures.

Our master was a tragically lonely soul.
Eventually, his solitude eroded his very reason.
In the end, he never understood…
…what it was that he truly lacked."

And it is clear that Tark's "master" is the Duke's Dear Freja by Tark's dialogue after you kill DDF.

So...does this indicate that the Duke's Dear Freja is not actually female as I previously assumed? I thought the mad Duke was the hollow in Tseldora garb in the Archive. But since the Duke's Dear Freja has two heads...and Tark says that his master was lonely and that drove him mad...does the Duke's Dear Freja's name indicate that the Duke fused himself with Freja? If that's true, who is the hollow in the library?

-Second question. Does the crystal that shows up after you kill the Duke's Dear Freja do anything?

Despite all the creepy suggestive storytelling in Dark Souls up to Drangleic Castle, the lock to the Key of the Embedded got under my skin and made me wonder what the gently caress was going on.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 29, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It appears clear to me that you have not played DkS, or haven't made the connection. Basically, the Duke's Dear Freyja, or the Duke himself, but probably the Duke's Dear Freyja, is the reincarnation of one of the characters in DkS.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.
Edit: ^^^ I didn't make the connection of DDF being a reincarnation of something, but it does make some sense, given what I put in spoilers below.

I always thought Tark's master was Seath. Seath did a ton of experimenting, and was the only dragon not born with scales; "a terrible deformity/curse". He went crazy trying to figure it out, and in turn made all kinds of monstrosities.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Oh poo poo. That makes sense.

That explains Tark's comment

What skill. You've defeated my master.
But our master never dies, only changes form, so that he may seethe for all eternity.
Brave human, you have yet to face your greatest perils.
Take these. May joy await you at the end of your travels.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The Embedded is in his situation because he literally couldn't keep it in his pants.

EDIT: I have to wonder if that means anything regarding how Seathe is apparently "a true undead", implying everybody else are fakers. Like, he can reincarnate himself, so he's a true undead...wha?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yeah, the way I figured it Seath's soul ended up in the Duke and made him study sorcery. Eventually he went crazy (as you do) and unleashed some sort of hidden power which mutated his pet spider, and possibly made the lion-men and the scorpion people. But that could have just been some previous incarnation of Seath, it looks like they've been around for a while.

You can see a little cage in the Duke's room that looks like something burst out of it. This turned into the giant two-headed spider which then laid eggs and infested the whole area. Seath's soul ended up abandoning the duke and attaching itself to the spider, leaving him a weak hollow trapped in that chamber. The master isn't the spider because you don't really get the Lord soul from the spider. You find it on the ground afterwards, near the giant stone dragon. It may have just been disembodied, waiting for someone to come along it could latch onto.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 29, 2014

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So the crystals from Brightstone Cove are literally crystals of the crystal cave. :stare:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I want an idle game where we play as Seath reincarnated as a harmless flower off the coast of some other Age of Fire.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I have durability problems. Don't bring a dragon skull to a dragon fight I guess.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Sihn has a corrosive effect on its body.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Edit: ^Suppose that answers it.

Is it a bug or a feature that Sinh makes weapons degrade so fast anyways?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEB8Y-83VW0

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Begemot posted:

Yeah, the way I figured it Seath's soul ended up in the Duke and made him study sorcery. Eventually he went crazy (as you do) and unleashed some sort of hidden power which mutated his pet spider, and possibly made the lion-men and the scorpion people. But that could have just been some previous incarnation of Seath, it looks like they've been around for a while.

You can see a little cage in the Duke's room that looks like something burst out of it. This turned into the giant two-headed spider which then laid eggs and infested the whole area. Seath's soul ended up abandoning the duke and attaching itself to the spider, leaving him a weak hollow trapped in that chamber. The master isn't the spider because you don't really get the Lord soul from the spider. You find it on the ground afterwards, near the giant stone dragon. It may have just been disembodied, waiting for someone to come along it could latch onto.

I figured they unearthed the dragon during mining, or, it just passively influenced the Duke from and then he dug it up (which explains why it's covered in webbing). Seath's soul, absorbed by the dragon in a previous cycle (you have to interact with the dragon to embrace the soul itself; I'm pretty sure the soul drop from NG+ Freja is just a game abstraction so you don't gently caress up and miss it), influenced the Duke to start crazy experiments like Seath, this time with spiders. You can see lots of spider-themed engravings around Tseldora, so presumably the Duke already liked spiders before the soul turned it into a full-blown obsession, just like Seath and his lack of immortality.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tracula posted:

Edit: ^Suppose that answers it.

Is it a bug or a feature that Sinh makes weapons degrade so fast anyways?

It's a feature. It is a poison dragon, and it does less durability damage if you hit his head or his tail, which is more dangerous. For swords it's not too much of a problem, but with big hammers or spears it just tears through durability, because they stay in the hitbox longer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also it degrades twice as fast on PC (because you're playing at double the framerate!), unless they changed that recently. I don't think they did.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Do healing spells scale with Faith? I'm seeing on the wiki that Great Heal recovers 1300 HP, but I'm getting maybe half of that per cast. I have only 10 Faith and I'm using a basic chime. The reason I spiced the spell down was because that entry implied that the healing was always a flat amount. I guess that's not the case?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Time_pants posted:

Do healing spells scale with Faith? I'm seeing on the wiki that Great Heal recovers 1300 HP, but I'm getting maybe half of that per cast. I have only 10 Faith and I'm using a basic chime. The reason I spiced the spell down was because that entry implied that the healing was always a flat amount. I guess that's not the case?

Yes they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBJAbGHIOHI

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Y'know, I'd never considered that spicing down spell requirements might affect the spell's scaling itself. Is that actually true, or does using a spice ONLY lower the requirement?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Yep, that would explain it. Thanks!

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 29, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CJacobs posted:

Y'know, I'd never considered that spicing down spell requirements might affect the spell's scaling itself. Is that actually true, or does using a spice ONLY lower the requirement?

I know it lowers the duration of many spells, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't actually affect the spell's intrinsic scaling. Of course it would do less damage due to having less int/faith, though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I guess the DLC is here but Steam isn't figuring out that I need to update the game. Or something is going on. Oh well that's enough for today anyway.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Something is going on with their servers.

Does anyone know if the blue sword is out already?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The game is telling me to update it via Steam and the servers were down for updates a minute ago. I assume after the update your Moonlight Mini Sword will be ready.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I update my game and hey what do you know the third DLC key is in my inventory.

Time to check out this frozen area.

edit: that first boss :catstare:

TopHatGenius fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 29, 2014

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Oh hey, it's actually out. Cool.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aaaaaaaaaaaah.
Can't contain my excitement.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Holy crap From Software that NPC invasion.

:golfclap:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TopHatGenius posted:

Holy crap From Software that NPC invasion.

:golfclap:

Jesus just 5 more minutes.
Arg.

(what element should I take into the DLC?)

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Jesus just 5 more minutes.
Arg.

(what element should I take into the DLC?)

...Fire?

God I'm so jealous while I'm stuck on the 360. 24 hours can't be that long, can it?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

For those that are still wondering: Shrine of Winter is the entrance.

Also it's very pretty. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Fister Roboto posted:

I know it lowers the duration of many spells, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't actually affect the spell's intrinsic scaling. Of course it would do less damage due to having less int/faith, though.

Spicing doesn't apply any sort of penalty to the spell in and of itself.

It's your lower Intelligence and Faith that result in the penalty, because they tied spell duration to those stats.