Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HIJK posted:

If it were up to me I'd have made the Qunari fantasy Persians.

They're fantasy Ottomans, complete with cannons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Randarkman posted:

Ignacio is more of a spanish name I believe.

According to wikipedia at least, you're right. Educational!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Randarkman posted:

Yes, thats its origins. But most of them speak English as a first language now rather then French. Even though Cajun Orlesians, while hilarious, would be very weird and offputting.

Given that it's a peasant accent, yeah, probably.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Decus posted:

It's more that Antiva is Sicily, which is exactly a Spain/Italy mix due to its history. Well, a mix of more really, but definitely a lot of Spanish and a lot of Italian influence. You could say that about Southern Italy in general.

But yeah, if they're going to be putting every dub in the download (which always kind of bugs me, in that they could download them as you use them to save space) might as well give an option to enable the use of all of them simultaneously. Though what dubs has dragon age had? Can't remember.

I just checked it for Orgins and I can't seem to find dubs in that game's files (or in the options menu), so maybe there simply won't be any for Orgins as well. Though that strikes me as weird. There should be French, German and Spanish dubs at the very least, those guys dub pretty much everything anyway.

Cythereal posted:

They're fantasy Ottomans, complete with cannons.

The Ottoman inspiration doesn't really go any further than that though and that they are attacking the fantasy-Byzantium with said cannons. "Militant Islamic Borg" or not

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 28, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Who are supposed to be the Germans? The Anders (as in the people from Anderfel, rather than the dumbass we all revile)?

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Randarkman posted:

I just checked it for Orgins and I can't seem to find dubs in that game's files (or in the options menu), so maybe there simply won't be any for Orgins as well. Though that strikes me as weird. There should be French, German and Spanish dubs at the very least, those guys dub pretty much everything anyway.

Looked it up and apparently all of the DA games shipped such that they only had the language for their region or, if the region didn't do a dub, english. To me that's fairly acceptable, from a space conservation standpoint, since most of DA:O's ~25GB was audio so force triplicating it would've been crazy. Though now I wonder whether at least some parts of Canada got French copies or if Mexico/SA even got it. Or how the EU version worked at all.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lotish posted:

Who are supposed to be the Germans? The Anders (as in the people from Anderfel, rather than the dumbass we all revile)?

The names are all very German, the geography though sounds very much like something in Central Asia or Eastern Iran. The importance of the Grey Wardens and religion and such make it seem to be inspired by the Teutonic Order and its state in the late medieval period, then the cultural things mentioned (ritual scarification, "great big beards", and such) sound like stereotypical things associated with 'barbarian' cultures, so probably ancient Germanic people or maybe a steppe people like the Scythians or something. But with the very German names that's where you'd go for the accent I guess.

e: actually the names aren't that German now that I looked it up, its just Weisshaupt Fortress really. Anders is a common name in Denmark and Norway (local form of Andrew), but I have no idea about Woolsey, Uvasha or Grivaud (though the last one sounds kind of like some kind of made up ancient Germanic if its not just french).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 28, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Uvasha immediately hits a bunch of South Africans in google, so Dutch?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lotish posted:

Uvasha immediately hits a bunch of South Africans in google, so Dutch?

Last name "Singh", that's the name pretty much all male Sikhs have, plenty of people descended from Indians in South Africa.

Uvasha is definitely not a Dutch name I've ever heard, but I can't really seem to find it anywhere else though, it might just be a kind of nickname or unique name for this Uvasha Singh person from South Africa.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Randarkman posted:

Uvasha is definitely not a Dutch name

I know somebody who'd beg to differ.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I always thought it was supposed to be stereotypical Spain. I mean he pretty much sounds like he has the same accent as Inigo Montoya the nasonex bee.

Fixed that for you. Also, the nasonex bee isn't played by the same actor that plays Zevran. I was surprised when I looked up the voices for DA:O.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Randarkman posted:

Is the game going to ship with a french localisation for the voice acting? Because I might just have to play with that and english text if what you say is true.

I'm French and only play games with the default language (so English). Even if France is one of the few countries where you typically get a fully voiced localization since the market is large enough, the voice acting is typically even worst than the original one, believe it or not. If you're not a native French speaker it might not matter because you probably won't be able to tell though. But then again I'm a grognard for this, most people don't care about bad VA. poo poo, most people don't even care about bad dubbing in cheap TV shows. :suicide:

Just be aware that everything else in the game will be in French, even the not Fantasy French ones and no amount of subtitles will help you reading item descriptions, quest logs and random books.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Furism posted:

I never understood why the movie and TV industry is able to hire amazing writers but not the gaming industry - especially since the gaming industry makes more money than Hollywood. Is it a matter of writers preferring their work to be more widely known or something (as in, more people know Breaking Bad or True Detective than Dragon Age or Mass Effect) ?

You're forgetting about all the shows that don't get a hold of good writers and directors of which there are a lot. :v:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lotish posted:

Gaider confirmed this in a BSN post. I think he also claimed they were some sort of Goth flavor, Visigoth or Ostrogoth. It was such an odd detail to add considering Bioware's average fan.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Well they haven't done anything with Andelfel other than put the Grey Warden HQ there with a cool german name

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

HIJK posted:

Gaider confirmed this in a BSN post. I think he also claimed they were some sort of Goth flavor, Visigoth or Ostrogoth. It was such an odd detail to add considering Bioware's average fan.

This is a bit stupid because Goth are from way before, in Real History. If the Germans are Goth, the French should be Gauls. At some point they were the same people (Franks). :eng101:

Oh well, I can't complain that the French society is shown as more advanced than the German's for once. :smug:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Furism posted:

This is a bit stupid because Goth are from way before, in Real History. If the Germans are Goth, the French should be Gauls. At some point they were the same people (Franks). :eng101:

Oh well, I can't complain that the French society is shown as more advanced than the German's for once. :smug:

No, that's wrong. The Goths were several Germanic tribes from Eastern Europe, while the Franks were Germanic tribes from around the Rhine. Some Gothic tribes settled in southern France and northern Spain, but the Franks drove them out of France and they would become one of the ancestors of the Spanish people. Those two were never really the same tribes. Additionally, Gauls were decidedly non-Germanic Celts, though they did intermarry with the invading Franks after those took over France.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Torrannor posted:

No, that's wrong. The Goths were several Germanic tribes from Eastern Europe, while the Franks were Germanic tribes from around the Rhine. Some Gothic tribes settled in southern France and northern Spain, but the Franks drove them out of France and they would become one of the ancestors of the Spanish people. Those two were never really the same tribes. Additionally, Gauls were decidedly non-Germanic Celts, though they did intermarry with the invading Franks after those took over France.

I'm pretty sure during his conquest Clovis offered a lot of *goth tribes to join his army (essentially becoming Franks) after beating them but I could be wrong. That's still centuries before Renaissance France that Orlais is supposed to be ; but it's Fantasy Europe, Fantasy People don't have to come from the same era.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

Opposing Farce posted:

Songs in musicals are a storytelling tool used to communicate plot, theme, and emotion in a way that's much more elegant and efficient than most people give them credit for; one of the reasons the musical Les Miserables is probably the most successful adaptation of that story is because musical numbers are a device that can communicate both grand, sweeping emotion and large chunks of exposition in a relatively compact form, which you need if you're going to tell that story in any reasonable length of time without sacrificing a ton of the drama.

To continue your analogy slightly, then surely the 'good video game writing' people long for would be something akin to the musical Once were all the songs are diagetic, the characters have legitimate reasons for singing these songs and they also emphasise the themes of the scene they appear in. I.e. Gameplay should reinforce the narrative not be separate from it, though I feel this is a lot harder to achieve than many people think.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Lotish posted:

The humans are Marchers (and get a British accent by default) and the dwarves and qunari are from Orzammar and nowhere-in-particular respectively.

Are the Free Marches meant to be Scotland? There's a place called Kirkwall, and Sebastian has a Scottish accent.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

It's kind of unclear, because the Alamarri (the tribe that became the Avvar of the Frostbacks, Chasind of the Korcari, and the Fereldens) concept art is supposed to invoke Picts and traditional Scottish war paint. So presumably Ostagar is supposed to be a big rear end Hadrian's Wall.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So the EGX panel just wrapped up, and there were some tidbits shared:

• Warden will not be back..."sort of." :crossarms:
  • Exploration and "off the beaten path" loot will be "exciting" and rewarding.
  • You can make polka dot shields! (But they earlier said there are no dyes for changing colors on gear--shields may be special.)
  • Hawke's tone can be set in the keep, but if you want you can customize his/her appearance/etc in the game proper.
  • Factions will be less "extreme," but will still have good/bad.
  • They have a rough outline of where they want to take the series until DA5.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Lotish posted:

• Hawke's tone can be set in the keep, but if you want you can customize his/her appearance/etc in the game proper.

:dance:

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Lotish posted:

• They have a rough outline of where they want to take the series until DA5.
:crossarms:

I'm getting a massive ME3 vibe here. Maybe it's just because the game is practically skullfucking me with the color green, but I'm immediately wary of any future sequels. Good to know that they're planning ahead... but I really hope they took that into account for the ending this time. Because everything so far makes it seem like Inquisition will be a massive redirect for the setting.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Some more tidbits:

quote:

Character Creation

Character creator will have a similar click-and-pull feature when editing the face, similar to Sims 4
Color wheel applicable for eyes, tattos, warpaint
Moustaches and beards
Qunari can have horns or no horns
Some male haircuts: “top heavy buzzcut sides, long gorgeous hair, very large thick beards, moustahces with scrubble”
"Some very fashionable hair" for females
Choosing a character will “likely” appear after the beginning incident

The Game

Possible griffins appearance as DLC
Not “seeing” the Warden in Inquisition, though it’s possible we may hear them
Lots of cheesewheels
Harding, the head scout from the Fallow Mire demo, is described as “cute and merciless”
Skyhold’s treasury goes through many phases

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I trust Bioware to implement any of those cool sounding gameplay features in an actually interesting manner about as much as I trust Peter Molyneux.

Also, why make a big deal about the Warden if they're not even going to be on screen? :jerkbag:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Generic American posted:

:crossarms:

I'm getting a massive ME3 vibe here. Maybe it's just because the game is practically skullfucking me with the color green, but I'm immediately wary of any future sequels. Good to know that they're planning ahead... but I really hope they took that into account for the ending this time. Because everything so far makes it seem like Inquisition will be a massive redirect for the setting.

They still have wildly more freedom then ME3 does for continuing the series. They haven't explored Tevinter, the biggest "white" nation in any way or Orlais, a cultural and religious mecca, the Qunari lands are ripe for visiting, other hidden continents for them to introduce, like fantasy Mayans/Incans or Chinese/Japanese.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

They still have wildly more freedom then ME3 does for continuing the series. They haven't explored Tevinter, the biggest "white" nation in any way or Orlais, a cultural and religious mecca, the Qunari lands are ripe for visiting, other hidden continents for them to introduce, like fantasy Mayans/Incans or Chinese/Japanese.

God, it would be so neat to have them stray back into elements of Jade Empire.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Drifter posted:

It'd be nice for a new element that could hold back the Qunari that wasn't blood magic slave empire. Someone able to fight the Qunari on even ground militarily and technologically without being "the lesser evil"

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pentyne posted:

It'd be nice for a new element that could hold back the Qunari that wasn't blood magic slave empire. Someone able to fight the Qunari on even ground militarily and technologically without being "the lesser evil"

gently caress your ideas. I want Asian people riding tigers. :colbert:

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Drifter posted:

Jade Empire had dismal gameplay, but I loved the artwork, story, writing, characters, and setting. With that said, I was never a fan of kung fu movies so it was perhaps all new to me.

Mass Effect's storyline was screwed because the story built up the reapers as so unbeatable that there couldn't have been a coherent, satisfying conclusion to the series. I hope that Bioware decides to move away from "generic world presented with world ending threat" and moves more into "exotic world to explore and solve mysteries in," but I doubt that will happen.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

Jade Empire had dismal gameplay, but I loved the artwork, story, writing, characters, and setting. With that said, I was never a fan of kung fu movies so it was perhaps all new to me.

Mass Effect's storyline was screwed because the story built up the reapers as so unbeatable that there couldn't have been a coherent, satisfying conclusion to the series. I hope that Bioware decides to move away from "generic world presented with world ending threat" and moves more into "exotic world to explore and solve mysteries in," but I doubt that will happen.

The game play was geared to button pressing and quick swapping between styles/techniques, a feature that I assume they thought would work well for a console game keeping people active in the battle action. In practice it was hilarious easy to break and fairly un-fun until you figured out the best "I win" combinations. The blunderbess was hilariously fun to use though just for the idea of a super martial artist it an Asian setting running around and just shoving the barrel of a gun in front of other fighters, demons, mystical creatures, etc and discharging a massive round of buckshot into their faces to win a fight.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

pentyne posted:

The blunderbess was hilariously fun to use though just for the idea of a super martial artist it an Asian setting running around and just shoving the barrel of a gun in front of other fighters, demons, mystical creatures, etc and discharging a massive round of buckshot into their faces to win a fight.

Sir Roderick Ponce von Fontlebottom, the Magnificent Bastard was also a great character and I liked the verbal duel with him.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sir Roderick Ponce von Fontlebottom, the Magnificent Bastard was also a great character and I liked the verbal duel with him.

Absolutely this. I loved that guy. John Cleese really brought it, as usual.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
EFB: Always refresh a page before you write something.

He was voiced by John Cleese wasn't he?

Quick query but have there been any new gameplay vids released? I have been seeing a lot of Shadow of Mordor recently and I was wondering if a similar marketing push was being done atm?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Drifter posted:

What is stopping Bioware from just finding the linguists that made Tho Fan and make their own version of Old French or some sort of Val Royeaux dialect that people speak if they really want to show up their piers. That way you can have a stupid french accent stereotype for common tongue that players can trade out for real French, as well as a true Fantasy French language that we'll get translations for even you fluently speak Français.

Oh wait, that takes a stupid amount of effort.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crabtree posted:

What is stopping Bioware from just finding the linguists that made Tho Fan and make their own version of Old French or some sort of Val Royeaux dialect that people speak if they really want to show up their piers. That way you can have a stupid french accent stereotype for common tongue that players can trade out for real French, as well as a true Fantasy French language that we'll get translations for even you fluently speak Français.

Oh wait, that takes a stupid amount of effort.

what?

Why would you even bring that up? God that would be a terrible waste of energy on their end.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.

prometheusbound2 posted:

There was a lot of things wrong with the Mass Effect 3 ending, but "they made the reapers too strong" is a poor excuse for straight out terrible and unimaginative writing. The reapers could've been dealt with in many different ways, they just weren't ways that Bioware wanted to take. The pointlessness of Mass Effect 2's main plot and Bioware's obsession to make Mass Effect a trilogy, also didn't help.

Furism posted:

Just be aware that everything else in the game will be in French, even the not Fantasy French ones and no amount of subtitles will help you reading item descriptions, quest logs and random books.

It's a common subject in Dutch gaming communities, people will often joke about how translated/dubbed Dutch versions of games would be like. Considering that the companies that do these Dutch translation often take the literal translation route, we'd end up with for example a "hamstring" ability being renamed to "vlees-onderbroekje" or, when translated back to english, 'meat underpants'. :haw:

Batham fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 29, 2014

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Batham posted:

There was a lot of things wrong with the Mass Effect 3 ending, but "they made the reapers too strong" is a poor excuse for straight out terrible writing. The reapers could've been dealt with in many different ways, they just weren't ways that Bioware wanted to take. The pointlessness of Mass Effect 2's main plot and Bioware's obsession to make Mass Effect a trilogy, also didn't help.

Well, it's not like they had us just pick a col-- oh wait :v:

quote:

It's a common subject in Dutch gaming communities, but it's often joked about how translated/dubbed Dutch versions of games would be like. Considering that the companies that do these Dutch translation often take the literal translation route, we'd end up with for example a "hamstring" ability being renamed to "vlees-onderbroekje" or, when translated back to english, 'meat underpants'. :haw:

This is awesome. "Engrish" should be a valid language choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Generic American posted:

I'm immediately wary of any future sequels. Good to know that they're planning ahead... but I really hope they took that into account for the ending this time. Because everything so far makes it seem like Inquisition will be a massive redirect for the setting.

Thats basically the plan, planning to DA5 means DA:I is the start of a new trilogy and retcons are incoming.

• Locked thread