Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dr.Smasher posted:

I just hope there aren't terrible raid bosses.

I don't ask for much

I feel like we'll be alright. I keep hearing that TPS is going to be using a linear progression model (versus Borderlands 2's insane exponential one) that should keep the insane sponginess down. Plus, between BL1 and BL2, I've never really felt like I was obligated to fight any "raid" boss if I didn't want to, so the track record there is promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I noticed Roland in the Hammerlock/Torgue trailer. It's gonna be weird listening to his BL2 voice while he looks like his BL1 self.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I feel like we'll be alright. I keep hearing that TPS is going to be using a linear progression model (versus Borderlands 2's insane exponential one) that should keep the insane sponginess down. Plus, between BL1 and BL2, I've never really felt like I was obligated to fight any "raid" boss if I didn't want to, so the track record there is promising.
No, it's still using an exponential curve, it's just way toned down.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

watho posted:

Cool, close enough then.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

watho posted:

Thank god. As someone who is dyslexic, the upper echelons of Borderlands 2's level system wreaked absolute havoc with my reading skills. It's really hard to compare a gun that does 684,326 damage to one that does 683,426 damage at a glance if you can barely read normal numbers in order as-is. I much prefer a slower curve because the difficulty can remain around the same without the numbers ballooning so god drat much.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

CJacobs posted:

It's really hard to compare a gun that does 684,326 damage to one that does 683,426 damage at a glance if you can barely read normal numbers in order as-is.

While I 100% agree with you, that's exactly what the green and red arrows next to the stats are for.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fair enough. Sometimes the arrows are deceptive as to what is "better", like how the green arrow for grenade fuse time actually means longer fuse time even though shorter is more beneficial, etc. but that's just a niche case.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I have a feeling that this game is just a dlc concept stretched out into a full game. All of the trailers don't seem to have that much material, they're really big on talking about lasers and butt slams as if it's all they have. I know nobody expects more than a low effort sequel but what they've shown doesn't seem all that worthy of a full price tag

It's probably not going to be bad but I dunno there needs to be more than a new campaign and a lower gravity value to keep borderlands interesting.

nigga crab pollock fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 29, 2014

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I definitely had that impression when they first started showing it, but it seems to me that they've fleshed it out a lot more. It's hard to tell though.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
It feels like an arkham origins more than a saints row: gat out of hell to me. The new playable characters are the main attraction for me though.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Fair enough. Sometimes the arrows are deceptive as to what is "better", like how the green arrow for grenade fuse time actually means longer fuse time even though shorter is more beneficial, etc. but that's just a niche case.

Also not true. Green arrows point to shorter fuse times on Grenade mods. See here -

Re: Game feeling like DLC - I think that's how it started, they talked about the Moonbase DLC a lot. I'm happy with the amount of content i've seen from the promo stuff, though. From Borderlands 2 I can only really recall seeing 3 or 4 areas in any kind of detail in the promo stuff, out of the what, 20ish areas there ended up being? The proof will be in the pudding, but I'm hopeful it'll be a full sized game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh god no I'm dyslexic and blind :gonk:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
You might be thinking of shield recharge delay? For Roid shields, you want as long a delay as possible, but green arrows show up for shorter delays instead. Which is perfectly fine, because doing it any other way would be pretty confusing.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

CJacobs posted:

Oh god no I'm dyslexic and blind :gonk:

color blind.

If I'm being real here, I'd be okay with a somewhat shorter Borderlands campaign. I dove back into BL2 this past month after not paying attention to it for a longass time, and I seriously had forgotten about the entirety of "Toil and Trouble". The game feels like it stretches out a little bit too much toward the end.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

nigga crab pollock posted:

I have a feeling that this game is just a dlc concept stretched out into a full game. All of the trailers don't seem to have that much material, they're really big on talking about lasers and butt slams as if it's all they have. I know nobody expects more than a low effort sequel but what they've shown doesn't seem all that worthy of a full price tag

It's probably not going to be bad but I dunno there needs to be more than a new campaign and a lower gravity value to keep borderlands interesting.
To be fair, what else are they going to say? The sales pitch for the game outside of the new features is "it's more Borderlands," which is awesome but doesn't exactly make for good trailer material.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

It disappoints me greatly that the colorblind options in-game do absolutely nothing other than put errors on the item tooltips.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

deadly_pudding posted:

If I'm being real here, I'd be okay with a somewhat shorter Borderlands campaign. I dove back into BL2 this past month after not paying attention to it for a longass time, and I seriously had forgotten about the entirety of "Toil and Trouble". The game feels like it stretches out a little bit too much toward the end.

The major stopgap quest chains for me are, in order:
-Firehawk quest chain
-The entire Tiny Tina quest chain because there's only one way into her hovel and it's on the OPPOSITE SIDE of all the quest objectives
-Running back through the dam with no real good way back to sanctuary for the loader core quest
-Zaford/Hodunk quest chain because of so much god drat unnecessary driving (seriously just put a fast travel point in their areas if I'm gonna go there so often)
-Opportunity in general

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
I just want to play as Mr Torque.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

CJacobs posted:

-Running back through the dam with no real good way back to sanctuary for the loader core quest

Cult Following: Lighting the Match is even worse. You just have to run back through the ENTIRE Southern Shelf map, with two under-leveled bosses in the way, and then having it be a pain in the rear end getting back.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Cult Following: Lighting the Match is even worse. You just have to run back through the ENTIRE Southern Shelf map, with two under-leveled bosses in the way, and then having it be a pain in the rear end getting back.

This is when I learned that the run speed and jump height multipliers in the Cheat Engine are super fun, and also that BL2 doesn't particularly like you messing about in its memory space during gameplay. :v:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

At least with Lighting the Match you can save and quit to warp back to Liar's Berg. It's not as viable in multiplayer, but works well enough in single.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did they ever say why the level scaling in BL2 was changed to exponential instead of BL1's linear progression? All the exponential leveling does is gently caress you over if you decide to overlevel on DLCs in an early playthrough.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did they ever say why the level scaling in BL2 was changed to exponential instead of BL1's linear progression? All the exponential leveling does is gently caress you over if you decide to overlevel on DLCs in an early playthrough.

Because weapons ended up lasting for up to 20 levels and not finding any better weapons for such a long time gets boring in a loot-based game.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

watho posted:

Because weapons ended up lasting for up to 20 levels and not finding any better weapons for such a long time gets boring in a loot-based game.

They sure solved that problem in BL2.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Dootman posted:

They sure solved that problem in BL2.

Well yes, they did. They just took it too far and created the opposite problem. And now TPS is allegedly somewhere in the middle trying to strike a balance. Granted it shouldn't have taken two whole game iterations to get right but progress is progress!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I miss when you found a good gun in Borderlands 1, and you could rely on it for several hours. In BL2, I find it really fustrating to find interesting gear mid-levelling, since chances are it'll be useless in 5 levels, tops. In a sense only the loot gotten at level cap matters, and everything else is basically trash.

I still hang on to my good pile of amazing level 50 gear, because I spent so much time farming for them back then. :(

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Is there any good way to increase the drop rates of higher grade items in BL2?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

TescoBag posted:

Is there any good way to increase the drop rates of higher grade items in BL2?

Cheat Engine. There's a writeup in the OP about it, but I think the script linked requires an older version of the program to run.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Kaethela posted:

Cheat Engine. There's a writeup in the OP about it, but I think the script linked requires an older version of the program to run.

Nah, you can open the script in notepad, look for the section that specifies a version number and change it to whatever version of cheat engine you're using and it'll work just fine.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ImpulseDrive posted:

Definitely getting the pre-sequel, but the next Gearbox game looks like it'll be a miss for me. It's literally a Borderlands reskin minus the random loot.

And the mp is a 3rd person moba by the looks of it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

It's shorter to just push through to the end of the map where you initially rescued Roland and use the teleporter there.

You can just jump off the side of the ship that faces the icy glacier area and skip most of the backtracking there.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's shorter to just push through to the end of the map where you initially rescued Roland and use the teleporter there.

You can just jump off the side of the ship that faces the icy glacier area and skip most of the backtracking there.

It's probably not really a "solution", but in situations where I find myself having to travel a long/tedious distance to get back from a mission, I frequently just log out to the main menu and jump back in, because the game moves me to the nearest fast travel station.

New RPS article on The Pre-sequel.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I know, that's what I always do since the alternative is going backwards through the previous area. The bandits have moved back in after you killed all the loaders for the main quest, so at least there's new stuff to fight, but it's still kind of a pain.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I am getting progressively more hyped as I read through this interview.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Attestant posted:

I miss when you found a good gun in Borderlands 1, and you could rely on it for several hours. In BL2, I find it really fustrating to find interesting gear mid-levelling, since chances are it'll be useless in 5 levels, tops. In a sense only the loot gotten at level cap matters, and everything else is basically trash.

I have the opposite feeling where I was annoyed that some level 5 gun was better than everything I would find for 10 levels and I would get sick of using the same gun all the time in a game that had huge variety. I preferred finding new weapons all over and constantly switching up gear all the time in BL2. I feel it helps keep things fresh and mixes up gameplay where I would be using a really good sniper for an hour and then switch to some crazy smg or a shotgun with exploding ammo. Upgrading to new weapons would alter strategy and add variety for me.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Constantly switching up gear is fine for BL2 playthrough one, it just starts to go pear-shaped in the second and third difficulties because of the insane scaling. I have no problem with swapping out a weapon for a better one, I do have a problem with literally not being able to find a upgrade which is what happened a *lot* to me in BL2. So much that I felt compelled to run gibbed's editor to scale up my weapons and equipment.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Steamplay! :toot:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Ulvirich posted:

Constantly switching up gear is fine for BL2 playthrough one, it just starts to go pear-shaped in the second and third difficulties because of the insane scaling. I have no problem with swapping out a weapon for a better one, I do have a problem with literally not being able to find a upgrade which is what happened a *lot* to me in BL2. So much that I felt compelled to run gibbed's editor to scale up my weapons and equipment.

Yeah, I'm lucky to get a good 2 or 3 levels out of a weapon in UVHM. That being said, I probably end up using that weapon more in those 2-3 levels than the typical weapon in 4-6 levels of Normal or TVHM. If I'm level 61 or 62 when I realize that this shotgun or rifle (that's still performing) is Level 57 or 58, I feel an immediate urge to memorialize the weapon in that character's vault. That's where all of the memorable workhorse items go.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

RPS article posted:

...[on] the Helios space station there’s this hall of Claptraps...

Sold!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

The TPS Season Pass is up on Steam with a price - £24.99/$29.99. US has a way more favourable price, opposite to what happened with the base game.

Not much more info on it. Says it includes Characters and Story DLC, which we knew. Also says DLC content will be out by October 2015, which is slightly less time than it took for the last BL2 DLC to come out.

• Locked thread