Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Well, I don't have it and I wouldn't mind trying it out. I'm http://steamcommunity.com/id/solidsnakesbandana/

Alrighty, not quite sure which of you two to go with, but this fellow has the first 'I want it' and so, him. Friend request sent on Steam so I can shoot it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
So curator things won't show up on a game's store page anymore until you have 1,000 followers? They sucked the life out of that feature a lot quicker than they did with tags.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I've been out for the weekend and now noticed some games that released that might be good:

Kraven Manor - a horror-like FPS exploration adventure game with neat looking graphics.

Neverending Nightmares - you awake from a nightmare only to see you're in another nightmare etc.

Starpoint Gemini 2 - apparently hailed by the reviewers as the best exploration space game since Freelancer or something.

Honestly all of them seem really great.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Palpek posted:

Neverending Nightmares - you awake from a nightmare only to see you're in another nightmare etc.

Worth noting that the developer of this game apparently based this on his own mental health issues and run-ins with depression. Though judging by what I've seen of the game, there was something more than just regular depression going on. Either way, it seems really neat. Here's a video Giant Bomb did of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTQv_ey8blk

Ed: Also it was made by the same dude who made Retro/Grade.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 29, 2014

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Lance Streetman posted:

Worth noting that the developer of this game apparently based this on his own mental health issues and run-ins with depression. Though judging by what I've seen of the game, there was something more than just regular depression going on. Either way, it seems really neat. Here's a video Giant Bomb did of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTQv_ey8blk

Unfortunately it's not that good. In fact, Neverending Nightmares is one of the most boring games I've played in quite awhile. Strong audio direction and a neat aesthetic aren't enough to cover up the fact that you're basically walking in a slow straight line the entire game with nothing else to do, and, unlike games like Dear Esther where people have leveled similar complaints, there's not a compelling story layered on-top of it either. Also the attempts at building a creepy atmosphere are marred by the amount of copy-pasted content there is. Definitely pass.

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 29, 2014

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Starpoint Gemini 2 - apparently hailed by the reviewers as the best exploration space game since Freelancer or something.

It's pretty drat good. Third person spaceship flying with a couple of control options and a couple of camera options. Interface lacks some polish, the bounty board and some trading tools are on the starmap. The tactical overlay is off by default and doesn't have a key mapped; this shows the shields around your ship, plus weapon energy and the heavy weapon reloads that you have.

The voice acting is laughable and feels like a readthru, plotwise it's a standard tale of revenge and secrets against the backdrop of feuding empires.

The lower four icons on the left on that HUD are weapon skills. as you progress, you level up, and you can spend skill points on levelling certain attributes of your weapons; for instance, you can make railguns more effective at piercing hulls. On the right, you have four banks of consumables (equipment). These can be shield boosters, or armor repairers. The example you have there has mines and an anti-missile system.

You pilot these ships. Because you have four facings of shields, there's some positioning to be done to keep your weapons firing. I haven't figured out how to display the arcs for the weapons, and I'm not sure you can find out.

You can buy a variety of ships for some brain fuckingly large amounts of money, and you can also buy weapons for them. Weapons can have enhancements that change them up a little.

In terms of diversions from the main campaign; Mining - shoot asteroids until they drop loot (hit 'C' to collect everything nearby); Salvaging - Use nanoswarms after ship destruction to get nice things; Trading - Buy low, sell high; Missions; Bounty Board, Scanning Anomalies.

There are still a bunch of bugs, but they've released three patches since Friday and they're frighteningly nice developers that have remained in contact throughout.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

How is Van Helsing 2 different from the first one? I kinda enjoyed the first game even though I did not quite finish it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Starpoint Gemini 2 stuff

How's the exploration aspect?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

PostNouveau posted:

How's the exploration aspect?
The map is gigantic but each hex basically contains the same stuff. I've revealed 1/4th of the entire map and have yet to see anything really unique. The same mission types spawn everywhere and they are pretty basic: go to point X, kill/repair/mine/transport something. The diversions are very basic too since there's no concept of automation like in the X games, you are basically doing the space equivalent of farming when you do those diversions.

In general the game seems like a fantastic framework but once you get through the initial 10 hours, you've pretty much seen it all mechanically and it's just a matter of grinding to see the next ship class and you repeat the cycle. This seems to be completely intentional as there's talk of an expansion already on the main forum that is supposed to fill in features :/

A big bummer I have is that you hardly see the stuff you are blowing up, because weapon ranges are pretty decent relative to ship sizes. I've blown up dreadnaughts that I don't even know wtf they look like unless I dare fly very close to them which is kind of suicide.

Also you can't actually build a real fleet, despite one of the classes called Fleet Commander or w/e. Supposedly it's coming one day, alongside a bunch of other features like establishing space stations and such.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Wel one thing that is great is that it has Steam Workshop implemented from start and with a title like this I'm sure we'll see some amazing mods for it.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Lumpy the Cook posted:

So curator things won't show up on a game's store page anymore until you have 1,000 followers? They sucked the life out of that feature a lot quicker than they did with tags.

So fewer low-effort and joke reviews, but more industry reviews. Great. Why can't I just get reviews from the curators I follow, or friends for that matter?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Croccers posted:

I'm having some trouble in Steam Troubleshooting: Sniper Elite 3 edition.
I can't get past this puzzle and all the answers online are so wildly different.

I've tried disabling anti-virus/firewalls as Admin, deleted specific files which are different for every guide, verified the files, etc.
I can't delete it and redownload it because I don't have the data quote left to do it.
I'm still having this issue. Moving to game to another folder, verifying the files to trigger it to redownload then moving the files back just keeps this. Deleting that steamblob thing doesn't work either.
Also have some more :pcgaming::downs:Playfire:downs::pcgaming:

Do nothing, earn credit.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Anarch posted:

So fewer low-effort and joke reviews, but more industry reviews. Great.
Lol at "industry".

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Playin' Tomb Raider 2013 (I dunno if there's a thread for it but I didn't look too hard) since I noticed it was only 20 bucks on Steam minus all the dumb DLC content stuff and man, this game is so far up its own rear end it could probably do a colonoscopy on itself. Hair physics look like poo poo too. I'm not really a fan of how wimpy they made Lara but I'm assuming the whole point of it is to show why she's such a badass later on in her career of raiding tombs.

I'm about an hour-ish in and Lara is still neglecting her horrible stomach injury. When does the game get better?

edit: Also I was lollin at their explanation for Lara's magical super-senses. "Remember Lara learn the lay of the land and you'll always find your way home [PRESS Q TO USE SUPER SENSES TO FIND THE NEXT OBJECTIVE]"

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Sep 29, 2014

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

It has been said a lot that Tomb Raider '13 has a plot better suited for a survival game, not a cover-based shooter.

Nailing jerks with a bow and then hiking for collectibles in peace was still great.

quote:

edit: Also I was lollin at their explanation for Lara's magical super-senses. "Remember Lara learn the lay of the land and you'll always find your way home [PRESS Q TO USE SUPER SENSES TO FIND THE NEXT OBJECTIVE]"

There has not been yet a game that could explain detective vision in a non-immersion breaking way.
Maybe Mordor would be the first one because the ringvision is a thing in the movies.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Palpek posted:

Lol at "industry".

"Industry" as in the mainstream web celebs, reviewers, commentators and journalists. We just need PewDiePie as a curator to come full circle and... goddamnit Gaben just let us have proper preference controls so we don't have to put up with this nonsense.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I liked it, but it's pretty much the same thing all the way through. That said, at no point does she look at her hands and say "what have I become" - you just get fewer cutscenes where she's freaking out.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

fatherboxx posted:

There has not been yet a game that could explain detective vision in a non-immersion breaking way.
Maybe Mordor would be the first one because the ringvision is a thing in the movies.
Eh, Batman's cowl was fine in the Arkham games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You can pick up lamps and toss them Dead to Rights style like they're explosive canisters. The game has officially gotten better.

edit: Haha, Lara's frustrated grunts when you jump into like waist high water and your torch splashes out. Alright game you've won me over. Please don't be poo poo.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 29, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The action actually becomes pretty good and she toughens up throughout the course of the game. I think it's overrated here but it's still a lot of fun.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

fatherboxx posted:

The Eagle Vision "sense" that Assassins are born with is a hereditary trait.

Checkmate. :colbert:

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Anarch posted:

So fewer low-effort and joke reviews, but more industry reviews. Great. Why can't I just get reviews from the curators I follow, or friends for that matter?

Thankfully "It's poo poo" has just above 1000 followers and it's the only curator anyone should care about.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CJacobs posted:

You can pick up lamps and toss them Dead to Rights style like they're explosive canisters. The game has officially gotten better.

edit: Haha, Lara's frustrated grunts when you jump into like waist high water and your torch splashes out. Alright game you've won me over. Please don't be poo poo.
The game does getter way better in the shoot-the-face-off-the-grunt-while-he's-on-fire kind of way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I just finished Proteus.

I'm not sure why everyone picks on Gone Home.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alright the triumphant musical chord when you're sliding down a zip line after finishing a tomb has completely sold me on this one. Also I shot a bajillion dudes with arrows and am now going to do so with bullets.

Palpek posted:

The game does getter way better in the shoot-the-face-off-the-grunt-while-he's-on-fire kind of way.

This sounds awesome. Part of me is only hoping the game doesn't go into slow mo while Lara goes "I can shoot this, I can shoot this" every time I do so.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

Yeah once you start getting the other arrows it improves a ton.

I actually wish it only had the bow. The guns just weren't nearly as fun but the game forces you to use them at points.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

The MSJ posted:

How is Van Helsing 2 different from the first one? I kinda enjoyed the first game even though I did not quite finish it.

It's got more of everything, and the plot and voice acting still have that goofy charm. It's well worth it if you liked the first one. A chart for comparison:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Ghostlight posted:

I just finished Proteus.

I know. I've played free flash games that were ten times more enjoyable than that thing. Go play Don't poo poo Your Pants if you want to experience something better than Proteus.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ghostlight posted:

I just finished Proteus.

You can finish it? I've played it a bit on Steam and the Vita and I can't figure out if I'm meant to be doing anything.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can finish it? I've played it a bit on Steam and the Vita and I can't figure out if I'm meant to be doing anything.

After nightfall there will be some shiny circle type thing somewhere on the island. Enter that, and the game changes seasons. After four changes iirc, the game is over.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah once you start getting the other arrows it improves a ton.

I actually wish it only had the bow. The guns just weren't nearly as fun but the game forces you to use them at points.

It doesn't seem very survivalist to be running around with the giant, customized arsenal that Lara ends up with. Maybe if you had to stick to just one gun?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Ghostlight posted:

I just finished Proteus.

It's a pretty good art game for Ihopeyoupaidlessthan5bux, I thought it delivered its theme pretty well.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DaveKap posted:

I know. I've played free flash games that were ten times more enjoyable than that thing. Go play Don't poo poo Your Pants if you want to experience something better than Proteus.

or night shift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb_7XaQO4ms

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I'm looking to get a few extra controllers for when friends come over. I'm pretty sure I've heard good things about the Logitech controllers but I just wanted to double check is there any reason I should avoid the F310. For some reason it was just cheap enough to make me paranoid that it has some major issues.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

It's fine.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Awesome! posted:

is there any way to make steam store screenshots in a less ridiculous place?

You can enable saving uncompressed screenshots in a folder of your choosing.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
http://opiumpulses.com/store/aaa-bundle/

First I've ever heard of this site so I don't know how legit it is, but if it is, wow.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

http://opiumpulses.com/store/aaa-bundle/

First I've ever heard of this site so I don't know how legit it is, but if it is, wow.

Looks interesting! If legit. If anyone's down for a group buy, I'd take Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/CreepyJackalopeEye

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Looks like they did some bundles in the past but mostly reselling keys? Either way it's a great deal, but I'll hold off until someone says they got the keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Hey folks, Ironclad Tactics is on sale for one more day. It's three bucks and change, and it is a very good game that flew under people's radars in a big way. It's a turn-based strategy game where the turn clock is running on real time and both players take their turn simultaneously, with a card system for building an army, deploying units, and spending resources. The game is almost like Plants Vs Zombies, if both teams were zombies, struggling to control the field and push units onto their opponent's endzone. It's seriously fun and has a great depth of strategy.

Someone asked me about the length of the game before and I couldn't answer. I've beaten the main campaign now and I'd say it's about 10-15 hours depending on how good you are. When you beat it, there's a New Game Plus that rewards additional, new cards, and all the levels appear to have been heavily retooled to be extra challenging. (Even the tutorial levels become real struggles!)

The DLC available adds two campaigns, one which adds a new faction and the other which moves the game's timeframe forward to WWI (which I'm guessing also introduces all-new decks and factions). For three more bucks, it's definitely worth it.

People were asking about multiplayer. Get the game as a two-pack! I'm sure multi is dead as a doornail, but I got a copy for my buddy and we've had a blast. You can play head-to-head, you can play every story mission co-op, and you can even play as the boss on boss stages and fight your friend.

Seriously, I had my eye on this game for a long time, because it looked really cool but I'd never heard of anyone playing it or saying anything about it. So now I'm saying something, go buy it dummy! It's great!

• Locked thread