Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

vegaji posted:

See Brown Moses's post. Writing up an article for RuNet Echo tonight, will hopefully have it out tomorrow with translations.

I had to read through a few of those over and over because it was so insane. Someone proposed putting hundreds of thousands of rubles into a plan to make a political campaign like the Darth Vader one, but instead make a "good" candidate (as opposed to the dark side) with Buratino, the Tolstoy version of Pinocchio. They were going to make it funny, run lots of TV ads, have flash mobs, get it viral on social media, etc. Then, they were going to have someone legally change their name to Buratino to collect these votes with some minor party and get elected to parliament. Then, this new (legally named) Buratino would side with the separatists. It's just insane.

Buratino Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buratino

Hey, what you call insane, I call conservative in the 'worked before with the Pirate Party and Greens' sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart

My Imaginary GF posted:

Hey, what you call insane, I call conservative in the 'worked before with the Pirate Party and Greens' sense.
Hahaha yeah more or less. Here are some of the images for those who speak Russian. I'd embed them, but they'll break all of your tables. Unfortunately I can't get a solid source on where it originates--LDPR or DPR?:
http://imgur.com/GKvQg4h
http://imgur.com/mxrTI9T
http://imgur.com/44ZvWlG
http://imgur.com/vB1F6td
http://imgur.com/ZyyqtTh
http://imgur.com/0ov9NeL
http://imgur.com/EHEkTrJ

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well you can add these guys onto the list of joke parties then.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
Recently there have been very frequent (more than once a week) articles in the Russian press about the ruble's record-breaking loss of value. Not being an economist, I can't tell how long can this go on or what it means, besides Western capital avoiding Russia and foreign products costing more for Russians.

http://www.google.com/finance?chdnp...IB9kt-oAcabgLAB

Reading those articles is kind of hilarious because of the complete 180 about-face they had to do this year. In the last 5 years since quantitative easing began (and even before that), they've been ceaselessly bitching and moaning about the US sucking the world dry of resources in exchange for worthless "green candywrappers" (referring to US dollar bills) that the US prints limitlessly out of nothing. To get the most shock value, you'll need to show stock footage of $1 bill sheets (before they are sliced) rolling off the printing press, as if financial systems haven't been entirely computerized and Americans literally grab these giant sheets, travel overseas and try to foist this worthless paper on the gullible natives. Ironically, lots of Russian nationalists share Ron Paul's libertarians' views about the Fed and how a gold-backed currency (the Soviet ruble was officially convertible to gold) is clearly superior to the fiat dollar, even though only a tiny few would have even heard of Dr.Paul's name.

In the past month, however, the ruble's decline is blamed on the exact opposite factors: it isn't the ruble that's losing value, it's the dollar that's gaining value because of the expected end of quantitative easing! The ruble's decline is also blamed on the drop in oil prices due to world economy slow-down, which in turn is blamed again of the upcoming end of QE! God dammit America, why can't you do anything right!

----

Also needing mention: the hryvna is doing much worse than the rouble, although it lost most of its value back in in Mar/Apr.

http://www.google.com/finance?chdnp...nLIebrAHP6oDYDQ

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

eigenstate posted:

Recently there have been very frequent (more than once a week) articles in the Russian press about the ruble's record-breaking loss of value. Not being an economist, I can't tell how long can this go on or what it means, besides Western capital avoiding Russia and foreign products costing more for Russians.

Reading those articles is kind of hilarious because of the complete 180 about-face they had to do this year. In the last 5 years since quantitative easing began (and even before that), they've been ceaselessly bitching and moaning about the US sucking the world dry of resources in exchange for worthless "green candywrappers" (referring to US dollar bills) that the US prints limitlessly out of nothing. To get the most shock value, you'll need to show stock footage of $1 bill sheets (before they are sliced) rolling off the printing press, as if financial systems haven't been entirely computerized and Americans literally grab these giant sheets, travel overseas and try to foist this worthless paper on the gullible natives. Ironically, lots of Russian nationalists share Ron Paul's libertarians' views about the Fed and how a gold-backed currency (the Soviet ruble was officially convertible to gold) is clearly superior to the fiat dollar, even though only a tiny few would have even heard of Dr.Paul's name.

In the past month, however, the ruble's decline is blamed on the exact opposite factors: it isn't the ruble that's losing value, it's the dollar that's gaining value because of the expected end of quantitative easing! The ruble's decline is also blamed on the drop in oil prices due to world economy slow-down, which in turn is blamed again of the upcoming end of QE! God dammit America, why can't you do anything right!

----

Also needing mention: the hryvna is doing much worse than the rouble, although it lost most of its value back in in Mar/Apr.

Also worth noting: Russia is changing its foreign ownership laws so that foreign companies can only own 20% of Russian firms.

Targetted towards Forbes, so expect capital flight to continue for a while.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

Also worth noting: Russia is changing its foreign ownership laws so that foreign companies can only own 20% of Russian firms.

Targetted towards Forbes, so expect capital flight to continue for a while.

That's only media firms, not everything. Foreign-owned media has an annoying for authorities tendency of not following the Kremlin line, and often being hard to takeover financially.

On another note, with the data storage requirements, it won't surprise me if all the internet firms closed their Russian branches.

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
:lol: While writing the above post, I was watching a youtube clip labeled Vesti24: US colonialist economy is pushing the world toward World War 3!, which is a 20 minute news excerpt that was shown some time early this year on Russia's 3rd most watched TV news channel Russia-24. As you might expect, with a title like that, the content did not disappoint, implicating the US in a conspiracy behind the capital flight out of developing countries that (I guess) happened in January this year. But that's not the funny part.

Right at the end, the lady narrator is listing the various strategies developing countries can employ to combat the US-instigated capital flight. Her final two sentences, I poo poo you not, are: "... If such measures were to be implemented overnight by all developing countries, the West will simply lose all room for maneuver. Check and mate, dear Washington :smug:."

I can only wish for CNN to start using sarcastic quips in their news reports. :allears:

TeodorMorozov
May 27, 2013

vegaji posted:

I've been going through these all afternoon and I can't believe how insane a few of these documents are, especially the Buratino ones. But 99% of it is bureaucratic junk.

So what do you want to find there, on server of LDPR, TOP secrets?
You guys so naive :roflolmao:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

eigenstate posted:

Ironically, lots of Russian nationalists share Ron Paul's libertarians' views about the Fed and how a gold-backed currency (the Soviet ruble was officially convertible to gold) is clearly superior to the fiat dollar, even though only a tiny few would have even heard of Dr.Paul's name.

Yeah, one of the chief talking heads, Nikolai Starikov, has published Paul's books under his label

I wonder how Dr. Paul would take that his books are published next to Stalin hagiographies.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

But yes, at the moment it is unadvisable for Ukraine to defend itself too strongly. It all depends on how murderous and bloodthirsty Putin is.

Maybe he is ready to kill every single Ukrainian who dares to defend themselves against Russian aggression. Maybe he is willing to murder every single Ukrainian for the glory of Russia. Maybe he is only willing to prevent Ukraine from retaking the annexed territories.

Which one is it? Who knows? I don't think anyone right now knows what Putin is willing to do.

Wow, messed up. This guy sounds like another famous dictator from europe back in the day, maybe you've heard the name...Adolf Hitler. It's as if the world never learns from history.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

eigenstate posted:

----

Admittedly, most of the fall in the rouble is probably due to falling oil prices than anything else, sanctions aren't helping obviously much the majority of Russian exports are petroleum based, so a rapid fall in prices is going to really hurt them.

The hit the rouble took around 2008-2009ish correlated with the pop of the oil bubble. It is almost certainly deeper than even then this time because of sanctions and general skittishness about Russia.

It doesn't have poo poo to do with QE though, especially since the Ruble has progressively been getting softer AFTER the economic crisis while QE was going on. In total QE may cause some small weakness in the dollar, but most currencies it is compared to are undergoing their own pressures for a variety of reasons such as the Yen for example.

I wouldn't be surprised Russians are into Ron P. considering his rather checkered past with "race issues", wants isolationism and doesn't have much good say about the current state of the US.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

tekz posted:

Wow, messed up. This guy sounds like another famous dictator from europe back in the day, maybe you've heard the name...Adolf Hitler. It's as if the world never learns from history.

hitler didn't have ICBMs or the second highest nuclear arsenal in the world.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

double nine posted:

He tried really really hard though.

This is a live video stream of the fighting at Donestk Airport, where the ceasefire is going great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-fBgVXH7Bo

Liveblog on the fighting at Donetsk airport.

http://www.interpretermag.com/ukraine-liveblog-day-223-explosions-throughout-donetsk-and-attacks-on-the-airport/

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Ardennes posted:

I wouldn't be surprised Russians are into Ron P. considering his rather checkered past with "race issues", wants isolationism and doesn't have much good say about the current state of the US.

RT regularly runs pieces about why isn't anybody listening to Ron Paul. Like before the 2012 election. Obama, Romney? How about some Paul, you guys.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Fabulous Knight posted:

RT regularly runs pieces about why isn't anybody listening to Ron Paul. Like before the 2012 election. Obama, Romney? How about some Paul, you guys.

That's probably more about attracting his supporters than anything else.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

He tried really really hard though.

In fact Hitler was an atomic skeptic, he believed much more in zany terror weapons like the V1 and the psychological effect of bombing civilian targets rather than war materiel, even though the theory behind atomic weapons was well understood by german physicists like Heisenberg and production of a bomb could have proceeded straightforwardly. As late as 1945 Germany had only 1 experimental cyclotron, and shortages of construction materials meant that there wasn't enough to build the number required for uranium enrichment. Most of Germany's little amount of Uranium was eventually turned over to conventional armament production where it was intended to take the place of tungsten (of which there was a critical shortage) in armour piercing rounds.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 28, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Flaky posted:

In fact Hitler was an atomic skeptic, he believed much more in zany terror weapons like the V1 and the psychological effect of bombing civilian targets rather than war materiel, even though the theory behind atomic weapons was well understood by german physicists like Heisenberg and production of a bomb could have proceeded straightforwardly. As late as 1945 Germany had only 1 experimental cyclotron, and shortages of construction materials meant that there wasn't enough to build the number required for uranium enrichment. Most of Germany's little amount of Uranium was eventually turned over to conventional armament production where it was intended to take the place of tungsten (of which there was a critical shortage) in armour piercing rounds.
Good thing Hitler didn't trust "Jewish science".

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011

fatherboxx posted:

Yeah, one of the chief talking heads, Nikolai Starikov, has published Paul's books under his label

I wonder how Dr. Paul would take that his books are published next to Stalin hagiographies.

Oh good, I can talk about Starikov for anyone unaware.

Starikov is a pseudo-historian, a neo-Stalinist, a monarchist, a conspiracy theorist, blogger and a big fan of Putin. Unfortunately, his political career hasn't managed to get off the ground. Instead, in 9 years he's managed to write 15 books of the lowest pop-history variety. Favorite topics include uncovering the century-old worldwide US-UK conspiracy to harm Russia, explaining how US-UK dominate the world through fiat currency printing scheme run by the Fed and praising Stalin for most effectively frustrating such anglo-american plans.

Indeed, he in not some nameless and forgotten loon; as fatherboxx said, he's one of Russia's chief talking heads, appearing on national TV, radio and giving lectures. His economic points are no deeper than deflation during Stalin = good, while inflation in America = theft from the workers, plus obsessing over a country's gold reserves, but that's enough to fool the even more ignorant Russian audience. It's mindblowing that a Russian neo-Stalinist and an American libertarian can have so much in common.

Personally, I hate Starikov more than Dugin, since while Dugin is most likely to complain about the loss of morality brought upon by modernity, listening to Starikov for more than 5 min causes my brain to ooze out of my ears because he rapes the entire fields of history and economics whenever he opens his mouth.

Ardennes posted:

Despite being mostly ignorant of the US political system, I think there are at least three Congressmen that a good portion of Russians would at least be aware of:

The most famous one, and with a commanding lead over the rest, would be John McCain. He figures prominently in the Georgia and Ukraine crises and the US election. He is the embodiment of all the evil that is US foreign policy.

The second would be Pat Buchanan. His foreign policy articles are frequently translated into Russian because they are generally very amiable to Russia. This makes him the anti-McCain. Maybe any Americans here can explain to me what's up with Mr. Buchanan because I don't understand where he's coming from.

The third would then be Ron Paul. Again, famous for a pro-isolationist, anti-Fed position.

I can't even think of who the fourth Congressman could be. These are all my personal opinions, and you'd need to conduct a survey to see if it's actually the case.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010

eigenstate posted:

Starikov is a pseudo-historian, a neo-Stalinist, a monarchist, a conspiracy theorist, blogger and a big fan of Putin.

Sounds like a lot of Russian nationalists to me :shrug:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
How is Starikov's prose and writing style? Fun read or dry Soviet technical manual?

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Sanctions having some effect, or just Russia being professional international trolls? You decide.

Comrade Lavrov posted:

"We are absolutely interested in bringing the ties to normal but it was not us who destroyed them. Now they require what the American would probably call a 'reset'," Lavrov said, according to a transcript of one interview on his ministry's website.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

eigenstate posted:

The second would be Pat Buchanan. His foreign policy articles are frequently translated into Russian because they are generally very amiable to Russia. This makes him the anti-McCain. Maybe any Americans here can explain to me what's up with Mr. Buchanan because I don't understand where he's coming from.

Pat Buchanan is basically a fascist.

He's a "paleo-conservative" who introduced the concept of "Culture War" in America during his 1992 speech at the Republican National Convention. He's also somewhat of a Holocaust denier and very sympathetic towards the Nazis.

The Anti-Defamation League has called Buchanan an "unrepentant bigot" who "repeatedly demonizes Jews and minorities and openly affiliates with white supremacists."

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

eigenstate posted:

Isolationist who thinks Hitler had some really good ideas.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Warcabbit posted:

Isolationist who thinks Hitler had some really good ideas.

You know who else thinks Hitler had some really good ideas. Actually no he didn't. He really did though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmNdtzxDZ4k

bearic
Apr 14, 2004

john brown split this heart
Excerpts--

From fuel negotiations between DPR/Russia. Not really anything crazy, but it is dated two weeks before this report came out from RT (http://rt.com/business/184929-donetsk-gas-bypassing-kiev/) and this from a Russia site (http://www.rusnovosti.ru/news/339174/):

quote:

As of 8/20/2014, we have all of the necessary arrangements to carry out the import of diesel fuel from the territory of the Russian Federation to the territory of the Donetsk People’s Republic.
The arrangement for the importation will be conducted according to the following plan:
1) A group of individuals, having on hand the necessary amount in Russian rubles, is to arrive in the city of Novoshakhtinsk for settlement of accounts with the suppliers of diesel fuel. In the presence of this group, the purchased quantity of diesel fuel will be emptied into the system of hidden and well-concealed underground pipelines, which passes underneath the border between Ukraine and Russia.

From the LDPR memo on someone's crackpot idea of running a Tolstoy version of Pinocchio for Ukrainian parliament:

quote:

Buratino could be a nice addition to the existing political field – Darth Vader, but from an opposition position.

In the previous elections, Darth Vader positioned himself as a representative of the dark side of the force. Buratino will work the same way – from the light side. Thus, these two characters will face off in political battle in funny segments. This will significantly distract the media and electorate from the boring and monotonous politicians that have driven the country to war and destruction. Buratino, just like Darth Vader, will conduct his political race by using slogans and propagandizing rhetoric just on the verge of taking things too far. That is, the serious, meaningful themes will be supplied with comic phrases, but so that an easy understanding will stay with people that a truth is often told through a joke. Thus, two important logical aspects overlap: voting for the joke candidate, the electorate will take revenge against all of the boring deputies and authorities, but subconsciously hope that, even though it’s all a joke, realistic programs and slogans may be realized with Buratino in the event of his entry into parliament.
(...)
In the event of the adoption this week of the law on the system of elections with the majority districts, the parliamentary candidate – Buratino (the first and last name would be changed in the passport office, as it was with Darth Alekseevich Vader) will be nominated into one of the majority districts with a high density of students in the electorate.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

double nine posted:

A russian hitler with nukes and still only the second greatest danger to the rest of the world? :psyduck: Madre de dios.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogf3nATqdXs

Good thing there is a ceasefire, otherwise firing their artillery while next to apartment buildings could be considered provocative and reckless. :v:

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 29, 2014

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rincewinds posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogf3nATqdXs

Good thing there is a ceasefire, otherwise firing their artillery while next to apartment buildings could be considered provocative and reckless. :v:
Fun reminder for everyone that those rockets are probably going to land within 250m of whatever they were aimed at. Though seeing as stock BM-21 systems have neither an artillery computer nor a GPS, what they aimed at and what they meant to aim at could be two very different things.

Indiscriminate rocket fire is pretty much the hallmark of Russian-backed assholery.

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Fun reminder for everyone that those rockets are probably going to land within 250m of whatever they were aimed at. Though seeing as stock BM-21 systems have neither an artillery computer nor a GPS, what they aimed at and what they meant to aim at could be two very different things.

Indiscriminate rocket fire is pretty much the hallmark of Russian-backed assholery.

Also the hallmark of Ukrainian militia assholery and pretty much any poorly-disciplined-force-with-access-to-heavy-weaponsolery (see: libya, syria, history)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Speaking of Russian-backed assholery I've just published a new case study on Bellingcat where we've found several videos of the convoy with the Buk linked to the downing of MH17 and located all of them inside Russia, establishing the route the convoy was taking, details here.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

This seems to be standard operating procedure for the Russians. It's like the grinning kid burning ants with a magnifying glass in the sun.

Brown Moses, is any of this research being used by airline investigators?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Speaking of Russia:
http://tvrain.ru/articles/predsedatel_konstitutsionnogo_suda_nazval_krepostnoe_pravo_glavnoj_skrepoj_dorevoljutsionnoj_rossii-375938/
Head of Russian Constitutional Court had some nice things to say about serfdom(!).

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

This seems to be standard operating procedure for the Russians. It's like the grinning kid burning ants with a magnifying glass in the sun.

Brown Moses, is any of this research being used by airline investigators?

It mostly is because the Soviets went pretty big on unguided rockets due to their effectiveness on the eastern front. Pretty much any conflict that involves former Soviet heavy weaponry is going to be using them.

As for why the Soviets were big into them, they were cheap and easy to make and surprisingly effective if not known for a wide blast radius.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Railtrack in Odessa blown up.

https://twitter.com/AlexPanchenko2/status/516502162793590784

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

My grandmother who survived Stalingrad has always said that covering under the barrage of Katuyshas was the most horrifying moment of the war for her. A signature weapon of victory indeed: a truck with guiding rails and a shitload of rockets.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Speaking of Russian-backed assholery I've just published a new case study on Bellingcat where we've found several videos of the convoy with the Buk linked to the downing of MH17 and located all of them inside Russia, establishing the route the convoy was taking, details here.

Every time you post its like a case study in why opsec is a good idea, you guys are really good at this.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
The Federal Police of Russia is starting an official investigation. About what, you ask? Well, of course about the genocide of 2500 Russian speaking East-Ukranians in Donetsk and Luhansk. According to the police, several unnamed people in the political elite and military command of Ukraine, the Ukrainian national guard and the Right Sector meant to eradicate the entire Russian-speaking population there.

I'm not smiling here, not ever ironically. They're blaming the entire war they themselves instigated and fuelled on Ukranians and saying they killed all the dead people of the conflict. And they have the audacity to involve the police of Russia, as if the annexation of the East-Ukraine was already a matter of fact.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Valiantman posted:

The Federal Police of Russia is starting an official investigation. About what, you ask? Well, of course about the genocide of 2500 Russian speaking East-Ukranians in Donetsk and Luhansk. According to the police, several unnamed people in the political elite and military command of Ukraine, the Ukrainian national guard and the Right Sector meant to eradicate the entire Russian-speaking population there.

I'm not smiling here, not ever ironically. They're blaming the entire war they themselves instigated and fuelled on Ukranians and saying they killed all the dead people of the conflict. And they have the audacity to involve the police of Russia, as if the annexation of the East-Ukraine was already a matter of fact.

What's a Tatar?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

What's a Tatar?

Mashed Tatars are a Crimean delicacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dusty Baker 2 posted:

What's a Tatar?

Boil 'em, Mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew...

• Locked thread