Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Someone was driving around central Phoenix earlier in a baby blue Miata. The car itself was fine, but the guy had a fedora and a neon yellow hawaiian shirt over a t-shirt. He was probably also wearing sandals with socks, and he had a goatee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

Someone was driving around central Phoenix earlier in a baby blue Miata. The car itself was fine, but the guy had a fedora and a neon yellow hawaiian shirt over a t-shirt. He was probably also wearing sandals with socks, and he had a goatee.

Did you ask him what username he posted in AI under

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I was in my ACUs filling the tank on my fiancee's motorcycle (did it right after getting home from drill, the gas station is literally one block away), so I didn't say poo poo to him. Though I did call the circle K truck driver an rear end in a top hat and a retard, but that was because it looked like he was attempting to pull some gymkhana moves in the middle of the road with his tanker truck while trying to maneuver in. I was in a bad mood.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

I was in my ACUs filling the tank on my fiancee's motorcycle (did it right after getting home from drill, the gas station is literally one block away), so I didn't say poo poo to him. Though I did call the circle K truck driver an rear end in a top hat and a retard, but that was because it looked like he was attempting to pull some gymkhana moves in the middle of the road with his tanker truck while trying to maneuver in. I was in a bad mood.

You haven't seen rear end in a top hat moves by a trucker in the middle of the city until you've seen a full semi rig try to do a u-turn with only 3 lanes to work with

That guy managed to get himself fully perpendicular to the westbound road with the cab on the sidewalk

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

blk posted:

This is one of the milder Miatas on the FB group I was talking about

:barf:

Are those fake intercoolers next to the turn signals?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm not really seeing what's so bad about that Miata. Although I didn't know they made bikini tops for them.

MetaJew posted:

Are those fake intercoolers next to the turn signals?

Probably fake cold air intakes, or at least one is.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Hey, at least it doesn't have retarded camber work done. The fake intakes/intercoolers/whatever look silly, and the headlights make it look stoned, but that's not so bad.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

blk posted:

It looks like it's about to start crying.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blk posted:

The good thing about Miatas is how much aftermarket support there is for them.

The bad thing about Miatas is how much aftermarket support there is for them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Aside from the side skirts and front turn signals, I don't see anything terribly offensive about it. :shrug:

It's not a color I'd personally own (I really don't like red), and I don't really do the "sleepy lights" thing personally, but the wheels/tires fit perfectly. The rest of the body kit (outside of the side skirts) isn't bad, and it's not stanced.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

some texas redneck posted:

Aside from the side skirts and front turn signals, I don't see anything terribly offensive about it. :shrug:

It's not a color I'd personally own (I really don't like red), and I don't really do the "sleepy lights" thing personally, but the wheels/tires fit perfectly. The rest of the body kit (outside of the side skirts) isn't bad, and it's not stanced.

It's a Mitata that aspires to be a mid-2000s Mustang.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

I think the sleepy lights thing looks sort of cool but there's something about a NA going all out with the barn doors all the way open that makes it look like a retarded animal trying to catch a toy. Wide-eyed with it's mouth slightly open like a stupid dog who loves to play fetch when it sees you about to throw the ball.

"I'M GONNA GET IT OH MAN THIS IS AWESOME I'M GONNA GET IT THROW IT THROW IT THROW IT *zoom (zoom)*"

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Its me, I'm the terrible car stuff.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

punakone posted:

git 'er dun :clint:

Also wanna visit that shop

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Getting under the front of a car that is supported solely by a widow-maker :stare:, that's pretty ballsy stupid.

At least take the tire off and toss it under the frame or something, drat.

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

punakone posted:

This would make a nice cross post to the OSHA.jpg thread.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

punakone posted:

Whyyyyy

Also, off topic but Finnish really doesn't look like any other language I've seen.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CharlesM posted:

Whyyyyy

Also, off topic but Finnish really doesn't look like any other language I've seen.

Finnish is weird in that it's most closely related to Estonian, and those are part of the Finno-Ugric language family, which also includes Hungarian and a bunch of weird languages spoken by native Siberians. It's a completely different linguistic classification from the Indo-European languages most of us are used to seeing.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Go ahead and post it to the OSHA.jpg if you want :)

I was driving in a city over 100km from my home, when while pulling out of the lights, on a downward slope, I hear some crunching and I lose all torque to wheels, the engine still runs like it should and I have a flashback to the time I was in the co-pilot seat of a rally car, coming down from a jump and we broke the axle to the wheel hitting the ground. Im going, FUUUUUUUUUUCK. Bear in mind, this was around 9pm saturday evening, so I have little to no options but to just coast the car into the first parking spot I can find, at this point I break out the jack, and get under the car the first time with a flashlight and Im yeeeeeep, the axle had sheared all the bolts from the sleeve, which connect it to the transmission box. So, it being 9pm, Im like what the hell Im going to do, so I call my father, who yells at me for breaking his car, tells me that it has had the gearbox and engine already swapped once, so the mechanic shop probably didnt tighten the bolts enough, because gently caress if normal driving causes this, I dont hoon in other people's cars.

So, we call it quits, go have a few beers with my friend are trying to decide what to do. My options were basically to get it towed by insurance, which wouldnt have towed it to home, only the nearest approved mechanic. My father needed the car on monday, so after hed calmed down he offered to bring the tools and a new axle. I really dont want him to come driving 100km and back just for this. So I check which shops are open on sunday, no mechanics that is, and my go to car part shop isnt open either. So, head down to a hardware store, find out they dont have XNZ M8x48 12,9 bolts on the shelf at all, so I end up getting a tool set there and a set of hex head M8x50 8,8 bolts. Which then lead to that picture, where I remounted the now free flopping axle back into the sleeve and changed the bolts. Good enough repair to drive the car back that 100km and get the proper bolts for it, apparently no damage otherwise was done.

I was pretty proud of myself for this. Knowing most of my friends wouldve thrown their hands in the air and going welp.
So as Panty Saluter put it, git 'er dun :clint:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

You haven't seen rear end in a top hat moves by a trucker in the middle of the city until you've seen a full semi rig try to do a u-turn with only 3 lanes to work with

That guy managed to get himself fully perpendicular to the westbound road with the cab on the sidewalk

I've actually seen a guy do that on the 4 lane that runs through town here. Except he somehow managed to make a complete U-turn without hitting anything. All in one smooth motion too. It was genuinely one of the coolest things i've seen.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

:lol: well, glad you aren't dead! But having a few beers and then getting under a car supported by only an emergency scissor jack, without even taking 60 seconds to remove a wheel and use it as rudimentary protection against being crushed to death, is basically one of the loving stupidest things you can do while performing maintenance on a car.
:fireman:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Panty Saluter posted:

I am not familiar with this version of the Escalade. Must be a prototype

If I had had my way when I was 15 or 16 years old, that would've been me driving that thing. I wanted my first car to be a "slammed white import pickup truck with rims and a bed full of subwoofers and a color-matched acrylic cover." I had only a fleeting interest in rap music at the time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Terrible Robot posted:

At least take the tire off and toss it under the frame or something, drat.

Linedance posted:

without even taking 60 seconds to remove a wheel and use it as rudimentary protection against being crushed to death

Wouldn't the car sit higher up if it fell off the jack onto a mounted wheel compared to the frame sitting on a wheel laying flat on the ground?

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Linedance posted:

:lol: well, glad you aren't dead! But having a few beers and then getting under a car supported by only an emergency scissor jack, without even taking 60 seconds to remove a wheel and use it as rudimentary protection against being crushed to death, is basically one of the loving stupidest things you can do while performing maintenance on a car.
:fireman:

Yeah, unfortunately the wheels really arent wide enough to actually give enough support alone, I wouldve needed at least two, which now thinking I couldve used the front wheel and the spare. But yeah, Im the terrible car stuff. You shouldve been there when I was trying to find out what happened to my carburetor while at the race track once. Firehazard. Ive done a lot dumb things with cars and it is a wonder that Im still alive and unmutilated.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

punakone posted:

Yeah, unfortunately the wheels really arent wide enough to actually give enough support alone, I wouldve needed at least two, which now thinking I couldve used the front wheel and the spare. But yeah, Im the terrible car stuff. You shouldve been there when I was trying to find out what happened to my carburetor while at the race track once. Firehazard. Ive done a lot dumb things with cars and it is a wonder that Im still alive and unmutilated.
No, they're not there as axle stands, just something for the car to fall on. Stick it under the hub you removed it from if need be. All you're concerned about is making sure it lands on something that isn't you, even if doing so would damage something or be a nightmare to extract again.

Those wheels are wide enough. Even six inches thickness is enough to save your life.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

punakone posted:

My Finnish is extremely bad, but that machine doesn't look very red.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

punakone posted:

Ive done a lot dumb things with cars and it is a wonder that Im still alive and unmutilated.

I was replacing brake pads on one of my cars.... and laying under the car trying to break a caliper bolt loose.

... on a scissor jack. On a hill.

I'm lucky I heard the pop from the jack starting to fail, and got the hell out of the way right before it dropped the car. The RF suspension+rotor would have landed on my thigh, I still have nightmares about how badly that could have gone.

I wasn't the brightest kid, if you didn't figure that out already. :v:

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

I was replacing brake pads on one of my cars.... and laying under the car trying to break a caliper bolt loose.

... on a scissor jack. On a hill.

I'm lucky I heard the pop from the jack starting to fail, and got the hell out of the way right before it dropped the car. The RF suspension+rotor would have landed on my thigh, I still have nightmares about how badly that could have gone.
e]

I wasn't the brightest kid, if you didn't figure that out already. :v:

Yeah, good thing to hear Im not the only idiot here, yeah, its really not something Im looking to do again in a hurry, I didnt really think this one through, I was just concerned getting the car back home.

Computer viking posted:

My Finnish is extremely bad, but that machine doesn't look very red.

Yeah, Its my Lada that's red.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

punakone posted:

Yeah, Its my Lada that's red.

Ah, right. :)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
will i am cars goes here automatically, right?
http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/30/6871283/will-i-am-designed-a-camera-car

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

He really is worse than literally hitler.

This is funny, apparently crooks have figured out that you can remove the headlights on the porsche cayenne without opening the hood, so they have started stealing headlights to sell back to the owners.

edit: $15,000 R34 GT-R popped up for sale.

The windshield sticker pretty much says it all.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Sep 30, 2014

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

Powershift posted:

This is funny, apparently crooks have figured out that you can remove the headlights on the porsche cayenne without opening the hood, so they have started stealing headlights to sell back to the owners.

Hey Bajaha, you started a new trend.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Powershift posted:

I thought I had heard that people were stealing HID headlights for use in indoor, hydroponics setups for growing marijuana.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

MetaJew posted:

I thought I had heard that people were stealing HID headlights for use in indoor, hydroponics setups for growing marijuana.

If this is true, it's loving hilarious.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Powershift posted:

He really is worse than literally hitler.

I've dealt with a few of these claims. Holy gently caress are they expensive.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Bovril Delight posted:

I've dealt with a few of these claims. Holy gently caress are they expensive.

I can imagine but give me a number! I replaced the headlights on my r34 at $700AU each (used) and thought it was excessive but I bet Porsche can top it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

tobu posted:

I can imagine but give me a number! I replaced the headlights on my r34 at $700AU each (used) and thought it was excessive but I bet Porsche can top it.

Don't know about the Porsche but RX-8 headlights are $900 (US) each

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
:stare:
I was upset paying $250 for a set of new headlights, but I guess I'm pretty happy with it now

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

MetaJew posted:

Here's the article (video if you follow the link):

Autoblog posted:

Thieves stealing Porsche headlamps for marijuana grow lights

Well this is something you don't see every day. Thieves in Amsterdam have been preying upon unsuspecting Porsche models recently. That may not be unusual in and of itself, but the burglars are not attempting to make off with the entire car. Rather, they are stealing only the HID headlights. But what's most interesting is the purpose behind snatching just the headlamp assemblies.

It is believed that the headlights make for ideal lighting solutions when growing marijuana indoors. The high-intensity discharge bulbs give off more heat and require much less power than standard grow lamps, yet, critically, they offer the right quality of light and heat. According to De Telegraaf, as many as 20 Porsches fell victim to this trend, resulting in thousands of dollars in damage. The cost of a typical HID assembly for hydroponics can run from $100 to $500, and up.

This is apparently the latest hot-button item to be stolen from luxury cars, following navigation systems and airbags. Scroll down to check out the video of a thief making short work of Panamera peepers.