Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Wonder why they are using an unintuitive point system for damage requirements when they have a perfectly good and easy to understand heart system they are ignoring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Just found out that even more than the bow, Zelda with the Wind Waker trivializes the devastating attack missions. Her non-combo strong attack clears entire rooms--I killed over 2000 enemies in less than 5 minutes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

So Midna is weird, but I think I've figured out how she's supposed to work thanks to a handy loading screen tip that should really be explained elsewhere in the game: having an active darkness status on you puts a debuff on single targets that makes them take more damage from consecutive hits. Midna's power up grab and crunch gives her that dark status (likewise the Dorf at full charge), and since she has a bunch of multi-hitting attacks, she stacks it easily. All of her attacks also leave enemies nicely spaced for a followup special or weakness attack to capitalize on it for huge damage, provided you still have charge. She's really strong overall, but is, for what sense it makes to say the word in this mash buttons game, a technical character. I haven't figured out her best options against large monsters though, but I have that problem with everyone but Darunia.

Also note that you don't have to do the basic grab with her to power up. BBBYBY will get you powered up if the first Y grabs something and you throw them with the followup Y. If you don't grab anything or you hit the second Y too fast or something, you get the tornado and won't power up.

Edit: For reference, the various elemental effects are damage over time for water, an explosion on landing for fire, increased single target damage for darkness, increased area damage for light, and I forget for lightning (maybe increased damage while you juggle them?)

chumbler fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 29, 2014

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Higher juggle height is lightning

You were asking about Ruto. You don't aim with her. She's basically a mobile AOE damage field with fins. Well, you do aim her standard Y. Basically wait until the bar glows. That means you have minimum two charges of waves. If you send out two waves minimum, you'll automatically send out a special huge wave afterwards. Her waves are extremely strong. I instantly weakness broke a Gibdoh with one wave for example.

ThePhenomenalBaby fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 29, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I have a huge amount of trouble with Midna's combos, specifically the tornado and the one where she runs around slapping the ground. I cannot figure out which of these is BBBY and which is BBBBY, because whenever I try either of those inputs it seems completely random which of the two happens

Edit: and what's this about BBBYBY? Are there combos that aren't listed in Warrior Info?

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Sep 29, 2014

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
I just noticed that Ganondorf's murderball is also Warlock Fist. It can't be said enough that this game loving owns. :swoon:

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

I have a huge amount of trouble with Midna's combos, specifically the tornado and the one where she runs around slapping the ground. I cannot figure out which of these is BBBY and which is BBBBY, because whenever I try either of those inputs it seems completely random which of the two happens

Ok so the tornado is BBBY and the running is BBBBY. You can tell which you're getting by checking to see if the dog pair pop out after she slams her hair palm. If they don't it's the tornado, if they pop out it'll be the running. Had me confused for a moment myself honestly.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Glad to see the old base rushing strat still works.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Wild Knight posted:

Also, does anyone know how to do that character-swapping glitch that was posted way earlier in this thread or has that been patched out because Nintendo hates fun?

edit found it because i remembered how to google, posting it here if anyone wants to try it:

This is the first thing I tried. Confirmed Nintendo hates fun. Unless I did it wrong, but it seems pretty simple in execution.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So when does Link get a new weapon? I just finished off skyloft, I got something new for Impa and Lana in their stages so I figured Link was due for something new as well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alteisen posted:

So when does Link get a new weapon? I just finished off skyloft, I got something new for Impa and Lana in their stages so I figured Link was due for something new as well.

If you want to do some adventure mode you can get the Silver Gauntlets pretty easily. The Silver Gauntlets are also absolutely amazing so i would suggest you get them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Some of you should read through all the tutorials because a lot of the confusion about mechanics are explained quite clearly in them. Like what all the elements do for instance.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Some of you should read through all the tutorials because a lot of the confusion about mechanics are explained quite clearly in them. Like what all the elements do for instance.

...Wait, elements do stuff? :aaaaa:

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Alteisen posted:

You are a level or two away from the best weapon in the game which is conveniently Link's.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If you want to do some adventure mode you can get the Silver Gauntlets pretty easily. The Silver Gauntlets are also absolutely amazing so i would suggest you get them.

Where are those gauntlets?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Heatwizard posted:

...Wait, elements do stuff? :aaaaa:

Have you not noticed how when you hit enemies with elemental attacks they get visual effects on them? Water is probably the most noticeable as they get a giant water bubble on their head.

But yeah read the tutorials, they explain it all very well.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Doing the level 3 fire rod quest. I took it slow the first time so wasn't surprised that I didn't nail it (I even missed the skulltala)

Redid it right after and thought "Oh hey I can get the spider this run since I know where it is"

I'm so upset.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Doing the level 3 fire rod quest. I took it slow the first time so wasn't surprised that I didn't nail it (I even missed the skulltala)

Redid it right after and thought "Oh hey I can get the spider this run since I know where it is"

I'm so upset.

What level is your Link?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Dunban posted:

What level is your Link?

37 or so, though I'm stuck using the level 1 fire rod :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm so upset.

Aaaagh. I see so much of this in my future. I never pay enough attention to the timer.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

greatn posted:

Where are those gauntlets?

The second closest new weapon from the start of the adventure mode map. I think right 2, up 3 or something.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm so upset.

Gaahhh, I got that so much trying to A rank Zelda's level right next to the Great Fairy square. I get good time and the right kills, get hit once too much. Get good time and remain undamaged, 6 loving kills short.

Finally got it my 5th try.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I mean, at least the good thing is that presumably you're still collecting materials, experience and weapon drops during missions you "fail" with the B grade.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm kinda surprised I don't see more praise for the Fire Rod. Gauntlets are pretty cool (and totally hilarious,) but the fire rod just feels so drat destructive, the special just wipes out rooms/narrow passages like nothing else.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Forgive me if this was linked already, but Zant has a pretty fun glitch (nsfw language): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4whxCHyMwZY

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Any thoughts on making a thread for Hyrule Warriors? We sorta already have this thread, and I assume the Dynasty/Etc Warriors thread, but I kinda think there could be a benefit in having an OP detailing various character mechanics, how to unlock characters/weapons/etc. and other mechanics.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

make threads, the tendency to discuss everything in super megathreads is annoying. If nobody else does it I will tonight because I just got the game yesterday, although I don't know half the mechanics so it'll be lazy.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The hyrule warriors thread just needs like two things in it briefly explaining what it is, and talk about the dlc coming out and what characters are playable. You don't need to put in an entire FAQ explaining how to play the game

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Cake Attack posted:

make threads, the tendency to discuss everything in super megathreads is annoying. If nobody else does it I will tonight because I just got the game yesterday, although I don't know half the mechanics so it'll be lazy.

Why? It's not like there's much else going on at the moment regarding Zelda.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Based on the thread, all you need to say is "Actually look at the combos and try to do those instead of just mashing buttons" and "Play some adventure mode after the first four levels. Don't worry about it too much but use the old original Zelda map if you want a guide. The limits for an A rank are 1200 and 15 minutes."

Then maybe something about the DLC and season passes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dunban posted:

I agree with this, although I wish megathreads would get closed and start from an OP more often, because a lot of the time there are like four things that come up every page that would come up slightly less if they could be put in the OP v:shobon:v

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Based on the thread, all you need to say is "Actually look at the combos and try to do those instead of just mashing buttons" and "Play some adventure mode after the first four levels. Don't worry about it too much but use the old original Zelda map if you want a guide. The limits for an A rank are 1200 and 15 minutes."

Then maybe something about the DLC and season passes.

Some characters/weapons have special mechanics and stuff that isn't immediately obvious. I also get the impression some combos are particularly good and might be worth mentioning?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Dunban posted:

More to loop in the folks currently chatting about it in the Warriors thread. And it'd be more convenient to have one thread instead of "oh right, pages 243-248 in the Zelda Megathread".

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

A series as good as Zelda oughtn't be contained in a single thread

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Some characters/weapons have special mechanics and stuff that isn't immediately obvious. I also get the impression some combos are particularly good and might be worth mentioning?

Yeah, although this info isn't even really up on the major Zelda sites, IGN, gamefaqs or any of the usual contenders yet, so anything we put together is likely to be pretty preliminary.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Considering that it's getting talked about by different people in like three different threads at the moment, one specifically for the game doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Threads are cool and the only justification needed for making one is that Hyrule Warriors is a cool game that exists. Threads arent a limited resource.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, although this info isn't even really up on the major Zelda sites, IGN, gamefaqs or any of the usual contenders yet, so anything we put together is likely to be pretty preliminary.

Which is why it would be beneficial to have an OP to outline what we know and update as more things are figured out. Right now it seems like "how the gently caress does sheik work," "use a strong attack to charge Fi up" seems to come up every other page.

E: Trying to make a writeup for a thread OP now but I suck at writing / organizing info.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
How to play Midna: A Primer.

BBBBY (the running hand slamming) will automatically install your Darkness buff if you hit any single mook with it. Use this when you are getting low, it'll keep your kill score up as you're moving through areas instead of wasting time not moving to deal half damage to a few guys you've grabbed with the solo Y.

While darkness is active, use BBY forever. It has her longest outward reach, is her boss killer, and will stunlock pretty much everything forever. It also has enough hits to keep darkness proc'd while you're installed, and is one of the combos that spaces everything at the exact distance her X attack is launched to.

Cador_2004 posted:

Ok so the tornado is BBBY and the running is BBBBY. You can tell which you're getting by checking to see if the dog pair pop out after she slams her hair palm. If they don't it's the tornado, if they pop out it'll be the running. Had me confused for a moment myself honestly.

This is key.

Midna is probably my favorite character out of the collection thus far, and is the only character I can regularly get 200+ kills with in Focus Spirit. I couldn't be happier with the way she was designed (well, unless they give us Twilight Princess mode where she gets some other crazy nonsense, which I'm amazed Team Ninja didn't jump at the chance to do)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Emalde posted:

Team Ninja

Omega Force. That said I wouldn't be surprised if queen form Midna is DLC or in a sequel though.

• Locked thread