Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
after the emotional exhaustion of the last of us followed immediately by walking dead season two i decided to pick up deadpool. It's pretty good, feels budget as hell but is funny. I'm only like an hour in maybe it gets old, I dont know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Anonymous Robot posted:

Hey folks, Ironclad Tactics is on sale for one more day.

Well, the part of today before the sales roll over, so less than 2 more hours

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Atomicated posted:

I'm looking to get a few extra controllers for when friends come over. I'm pretty sure I've heard good things about the Logitech controllers but I just wanted to double check is there any reason I should avoid the F310. For some reason it was just cheap enough to make me paranoid that it has some major issues.

The sticks are rather stiff and have an enormous dead zone, but otherwise it's fine. It's a perfectly good budget controller.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

John Romero posted:

after the emotional exhaustion of the last of us followed immediately by walking dead season two i decided to pick up deadpool. It's pretty good, feels budget as hell but is funny. I'm only like an hour in maybe it gets old, I dont know.

For a moment I thought this meant Deadpool was back on Steam, only to have my hopes dashed. :argh:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ghostlight posted:

I just finished Proteus.

I'm not sure why everyone picks on Gone Home.

Likely because the plot largely involves WOMEN and also the publisher pulling out of PAX because they didn't agree with how the dickwolves thing was handled.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Hey folks, Ironclad Tactics is on sale for one more day. It's three bucks and change, and it is a very good game that flew under people's radars in a big way. It's a turn-based strategy game where the turn clock is running on real time and both players take their turn simultaneously, with a card system for building an army, deploying units, and spending resources. The game is almost like Plants Vs Zombies, if both teams were zombies, struggling to control the field and push units onto their opponent's endzone. It's seriously fun and has a great depth of strategy.

Someone asked me about the length of the game before and I couldn't answer. I've beaten the main campaign now and I'd say it's about 10-15 hours depending on how good you are. When you beat it, there's a New Game Plus that rewards additional, new cards, and all the levels appear to have been heavily retooled to be extra challenging. (Even the tutorial levels become real struggles!)

The DLC available adds two campaigns, one which adds a new faction and the other which moves the game's timeframe forward to WWI (which I'm guessing also introduces all-new decks and factions). For three more bucks, it's definitely worth it.

People were asking about multiplayer. Get the game as a two-pack! I'm sure multi is dead as a doornail, but I got a copy for my buddy and we've had a blast. You can play head-to-head, you can play every story mission co-op, and you can even play as the boss on boss stages and fight your friend.

Seriously, I had my eye on this game for a long time, because it looked really cool but I'd never heard of anyone playing it or saying anything about it. So now I'm saying something, go buy it dummy! It's great!

Agreeing with this. Ironclad Tactics is great.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Likely because the plot largely involves WOMEN and also the publisher pulling out of PAX because they didn't agree with how the dickwolves thing was handled.

I pick on Gone Home because it has no content aside from a little story that serves as a framing device for lounging around an empty house for an hour or two. The story could have been better than the combined works of Dostoyevsky and it still wouldn't have changed the fact that as a game it was weak and definitely not worth 20 bucks. As a novel or a short story, maybe. But not as a game. For what it's worth, I got Gone Home as a gift, so no buyer's remorse for me.

This whole interactive storytelling wankery smells a bit like the interactive multimedia buzz of the early 90s and the tripe the industry tried to push as games was utter poo poo back then too. Don't try to pull chauvinism as an excuse why people pick on these games.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Getting mad over other people's opinion on a video game, whether it's because they like them or dislike them, is both dumb and largely pointless.

Much like the inevitable arguing afterwards.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Justin_Brett posted:

http://opiumpulses.com/store/aaa-bundle/

First I've ever heard of this site so I don't know how legit it is, but if it is, wow.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Looks interesting! If legit. If anyone's down for a group buy, I'd take Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City.

Thank you for reminding me this game exists. I'll give it a shot, as well. If anyone wants to get the bundle, but doesn't want/mind trading off the Res Evil game within, let me know!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Laputanmachine posted:

I pick on Gone Home because it has no content aside from a little story that serves as a framing device for lounging around an empty house for an hour or two. The story could have been better than the combined works of Dostoyevsky and it still wouldn't have changed the fact that as a game it was weak and definitely not worth 20 bucks.

While I agree that the game is probably not "worth" 20 bucks, it's not completely valueless and it's very well-written and has solid production. Actually now that I think of it, it's about the length of a movie, and most DVDs and Blu Ray cost about 20 bucks. So its price is at about what it's worth. I think the difference is that when you play a short game in which you can experience all of the content in one go, you don't really tend to go back and replay it, where a really good movie is one you want to watch and rewatch over and over.

I guess I'm a little divided then. I paid 5 bucks and played it once, and I feel I got more than my money's worth. It was like a really good rental.

Also for most people who derided Gone Home the price didn't even factor into it, since they neither paid for nor played the game.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Gone Home is legit one of the best games I've played in a while :getin:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Is Gemini Rue worth my precious, hard-earned dollars?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

ManOfTheYear posted:

I thought it was really good. It's been in a few bundles.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

ManOfTheYear posted:

Sure, it's way better than Gone Home at least. :mrgw:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Laputanmachine posted:

I pick on Gone Home because it has no content aside from a little story that serves as a framing device for lounging around an empty house for an hour or two. The story could have been better than the combined works of Dostoyevsky and it still wouldn't have changed the fact that as a game it was weak and definitely not worth 20 bucks. As a novel or a short story, maybe. But not as a game. For what it's worth, I got Gone Home as a gift, so no buyer's remorse for me.

This whole interactive storytelling wankery smells a bit like the interactive multimedia buzz of the early 90s and the tripe the industry tried to push as games was utter poo poo back then too. Don't try to pull chauvinism as an excuse why people pick on these games.

Gone Home told a story where the gameplay was rummaging around a house. It's fine you didn't like it, but your argument is pretty goddamn dumb about why it's 'not a game'. Use that argument to explain that you didn't enjoy it on a personal level - for whatever reason-, but don't use it as though you're some sort of universal arbiter of what makes a game.

For instance, I think Proteus or Sim City or Minecraft look like absolute poo poo, but I'm not going to deny that some people enjoy those particular systems as much as I enjoy my Shootmans and say they are not playing a game.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 29, 2014

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

K. Flaps posted:

Sure, it's way better than Gone Home at least. :mrgw:

I don't know, Gone Home didn't have a horrendous shooting minigame implemented badly in Adventure Game Studio.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Myst was like the best-selling computer game of the 90s, whether you liked it or not it was a valid game, and Gone Home is just in that same category. Except it's way better because you're not staring at static 640x480 pcx files (and trust me, I just played Scratches and the Dark Fall games, I know what that's like!!!).

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

John Romero posted:

Deadpool got old in the 90s :smuggo:

e: Also, in regards to Dead Rising vs Dead Rising 2, without being a massive sperg which I could be but it would be largely pointless, to me Dead Rising was sort of like Dawn of the Dead, while Dead Rising 2 was sort of like Land of the Dead. The latter may be a greater technical achievement and cover more ground, but it sort of fucks up why the original was so drat good to begin with.

I mean, I can think of numerous faults with Dead Rising 2 from a purely thematic point of view. Say what you will about Dead Rising, but even in the ridiculous poo poo it had (of which it had a lot) it was at the least consistent with itself.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 29, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Gone Home is the worst game ever made because every time it's brought up the mass-regurgitation of the exact same arguments makes such an unpleasant noise.

Movac
Oct 31, 2012
The best answer to "is Gone Home a game" is "who gives a poo poo." Whatever you want to call it, just judge it by how well it succeeds in what it set out to do. Leave semantics to the professionals.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I think Gone Home should go home, to the garbage can.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - I'm just not getting out of you what I used to back when you posted in Manga. :sigh:

Quest For Glory II posted:

Myst was like the best-selling computer game of the 90s, whether you liked it or not it was a valid game, and Gone Home is just in that same category. Except it's way better because you're not staring at static 640x480 pcx files (and trust me, I just played Scratches and the Dark Fall games, I know what that's like!!!).

I don't know, MYST had more environmental interaction in the puzzles (:argh:) it made you do.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Freak Futanari posted:

I think Gone Home should go home, to the garbage can.

Then we'd have to subject Oscar to it and what kind of loving monster are you.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Gone Home is objectively a better game than Dark Souls.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
gone home is cool

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Authorman posted:

Gone Home is objectively a better game than Dark Souls.

Would you call Gone Home the Dark Souls of exploration walking? I haven't played the game so this isn't a statement on the quality of the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Gone Home is one of my favorite games.

I am the instrument of the gynocracy that is taking away all of your precious games.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Mr E posted:

Would you call Gone Home the Dark Souls of exploration walking?

No I would never say anything like that. Please don't make assumptions about me.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
I just want to remind everybody to pick up Pool Nation if/when it goes on sale. Or even at full price. Its a great pool game, if not the best, with loads of game types to play.

Also you can do kickin' rad shots like this poo poo my friend just pulled...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRZDTJ6UVlY

It's a great game and worth every penny.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Drifter posted:

I don't know, MYST had more environmental interaction in the puzzles (:argh:) it made you do.
As I've said before, Ether One fills the role of Gone Home with puzzles, but it leaves them as optional, unlike Myst. I don't think people played Myst for the puzzles necessarily but just to explore a strange alien world and see how it works, as well as reading the notes/journals left behind. Which is what I tend to look for in games myself, minus the clicking at Macromedia Projector pictures.

I bought Myst as a kid back in 1991 or whenever it was, although I preferred Riven. I will admit I never saw the end of either game at the time, but I did finish Riven much later in life with a UHS hints guide. I dunno how you beat those games without resorting to some guide, even writing down everything in a notebook doesn't fully help you.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Quest For Glory II posted:

As I've said before, Ether One fills the role of Gone Home with puzzles, but it leaves them as optional, unlike Myst. I don't think people played Myst for the puzzles necessarily but just to explore a strange alien world and see how it works, as well as reading the notes/journals left behind. Which is what I tend to look for in games myself, minus the clicking at Macromedia Projector pictures.

I bought Myst as a kid back in 1991 or whenever it was, although I preferred Riven. I will admit I never saw the end of either game at the time, but I did finish Riven much later in life with a UHS hints guide. I dunno how you beat those games without resorting to some guide, even writing down everything in a notebook doesn't fully help you.

Clearly the 7th Guest was the evolutionary top of that particular game genre foodchain.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
My favorite Dark Souls comment is when someone legitimately called Shin Megami Tensei IV the Dark Souls of Persona. And by favorite I mean :negative:

Also I've played lots of games with good stories, but if you're selling one on just a story it should have more meat to it for twenty dollars.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hello I'm posting again to say I beat the story of Tomb Raider 2013 and am now working on all the bonus gubbins I still have to do around the island. I will say that, while the story did start firmly head-up-rear end, at least it ended on a note that was a fair bit less so.

From what I had seen of the game beforehand, I did not expect much going in, so for 20 bucks I was very pleasantly surprised at just how much there is to do. I haven't seen this many flavor text/flavor model collectibles in a video game I've played in quite a while so it'll be fun to hunt it all down.

The guns (and bow) were all very satisfying to use although I do wish the machine gun stayed accurate for more than .01 seconds under sustained fire. Finally, I think the transition from wimpy baby Lara to badass raider of tombs Lara didn't really hit me all that hard until you get your hands on the grenade launcher and she straight up goes THAT'S RIGHT RUN I'LL KILL ALL OF YOU BASTARDS, and then I blew up 40 men with grenades and flaming arrows.

Tomb Raider 2013 is a pretty alright game.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 29, 2014

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I like the Gone Home argument because it proves video games are art. As with all forms of art, people get so salty about popular, atypical games that they bother to argue that "X is not a real video game".

CJacobs posted:

Tomb Raider 2013 is a pretty alright game.

:agreed:

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

tehsid posted:

I just want to remind everybody to pick up Pool Nation if/when it goes on sale. Or even at full price. Its a great pool game, if not the best, with loads of game types to play.

Also you can do kickin' rad shots like this poo poo my friend just pulled...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRZDTJ6UVlY

It's a great game and worth every penny.

It is awesome but I am still waiting for the Box of Tricks DLC! :argh:

e: oh and it looks like the game is $1 this week!

Alucardd fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 29, 2014

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Zombie Samurai posted:

...to argue that "X is not a real video game".

Literally no one has said this.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Whoa a couple of actual games snuck into the weeklong deals this week:

Crysis 2 Maximum Edition - $5.99
Dragon Age: Origins - $4.99
Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves - $1.49
Jack Orlando: Director's Cut (a cinematic masterpiece) - $0.74
Obscure - $4.68
Marc Ecko's Getting Up - $3.74

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=weeklongdeals#sort_by=_ASC&sort_order=ASC&filter=weeklongdeals&page=1

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^ Sangfroid is a pretty neat tower defense-ish/Orcsmustdie game. It has some rough edges, but seemed interesting enough that I had fun with it.

Zombie Samurai posted:

I like the Gone Home argument because it proves video games are art. As with all forms of art, people get so salty about popular, atypical games that they bother to argue that "X is not a real video game".

That argument in no way is associated with whether an object or process is art.

I guess that makes your argument art too, then, by your definition.

And no one, not ever, should argue that videogames are art. That's literally the stupidest endgame goal for videogames. That whole 'search for relevancy' the bloggers and industry have is pretty goddamn lame.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 29, 2014

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
When Sang-Froid came out I was really interested until I read a couple of reviews that said the game was tedious and hard as nails. Is that still the case?

YOURFRIEND posted:

Literally no one has said this.

About half the internet has, just not in this thread. Remember when Steam came up with the tagging system and the first thing people did was make sure that Gone Home was tagged either "Gone Homo" or "Not A Game"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Proteus is at least pretty and the sound design is fun. Gone home lets you stare at drawers, shelves, and static notes for two hours

• Locked thread