Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Interesting, where exactly do these lapses happen?

I can't find it right now. I seem to recall it being during a chase scene. Possibly when he was running after the face destroying guy. https://twitter.com/Ben_Aaronovitch/status/28898203734646784 I did find that though. There were a couple other examples that I ran across.

From moon over Soho

quote:

I’m not a player, but I’d never had a girlfriend who’d lasted more than three months. Lesley said that my exes knew that past a certain point I’d lost interest and that’s why they always packed me in first. That’s not the way I remember it, but Lesley swore she could have constructed a calendar base don my love life. A cyclical one, she said, like the Maya–counting down to disaster. Lesley could be surprisingly erudite sometimes.

Lesley is telling us that Peter isn't always great at self-evaluation or reflection on why some things happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
So. Japanese covers for the Rivers of London series.

http://zenoagency.com/news/peter-grants-conquest-of-japan-continues/

:psyduck:

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

:japan: It's everything I could have imagined...

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
For what it's worth, the translations appear to be even more inaccurate than the covers may have you suspect. Huge number of critical review on Amazon, and I can't help but notice that the Japanese précis (from the back cover?) gives away about 2/3 of the book.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
I'm going to mention this here because, well, Jim Butcher.

He has made a post to Facebook looking for the community to help this little boy.

Jim said he would match donations.

Zola fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 7, 2014

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
So I posted this when I first got it back in March but I got my Harry Dresden and Murphy watercolors by Tyler Crook framed. Check it out

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Speaking of Dresden Files art, I got this bad motherfucker at Dragon Con:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Ornamented Death posted:

Where's the hat?

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

fordan posted:

Where's the hat?

Harry in Changes posted:

I don't do hats

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
He doesn't look disheveled enough. He needs longer hair, it should be unkempt and there should be more bloodspatter. Dresden never comes from an adventure looking that GQ.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There should be a ghost hat. So it doesn't exist, but does at the same time.

I think this would solve most of the hat dilemma.:colbert:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

There should be a ghost hat. So it doesn't exist, but does at the same time.

I think this would solve most of the hat dilemma.:colbert:

Half the time, anyway.

Would there be a Schrodinger's cat in this Schrodinger's hat?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

I'm giggling way too hard at this.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

Error 404 posted:

I'm giggling way too hard at this.

Yeah, Tyler and I were goofing off at the table we shared at Emerald City Comic Con while he was painting sketchcard examples. After he did Harry I told him "Now draw Murphy" and he very quickly painted her. After the show he gave them to me, it just took me forever to get them framed. :P

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Ornamented Death posted:

I really like this. Is this a scene from one of the books or is it just some random Denarian?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ague Proof posted:

I really like this. Is this a scene from one of the books or is it just some random Denarian?

Just a random Denarian.

Also Dan Dos Santos should be doing the book covers.

Edit: I also got a print of Harry riding Sue from him (Dan), but it's not as baller as the giclee.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 10, 2014

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

KellHound posted:

So I posted this when I first got it back in March but I got my Harry Dresden and Murphy watercolors by Tyler Crook framed. Check it out

I'm so jealous.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Apologies if this has been posted already, but this is a long thread...

Anyone looking for more urban fantasy/detective books might want to check out Dead Things by Stephen Blackmore: http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Things-Stephen-Blackmoore-ebook/dp/B00AVA4NPM/ref=la_B004XW62A8_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413164393&sr=1-2. It's a pretty good read. I'd rate it above the Alex Verus books, maybe below the Felix Castor series in terms of quality. There's a sequel too.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

newts posted:

Apologies if this has been posted already, but this is a long thread...

Anyone looking for more urban fantasy/detective books might want to check out Dead Things by Stephen Blackmore: http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Things-Stephen-Blackmoore-ebook/dp/B00AVA4NPM/ref=la_B004XW62A8_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1413164393&sr=1-2. It's a pretty good read. I'd rate it above the Alex Verus books, maybe below the Felix Castor series in terms of quality. There's a sequel too.

I've liked all Blackmore's urban fantasy so far (I think there are three).

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

So I have offically started up my Daily Dresden Drawings again. They'll all get posted on my site at noon EST. Here's Harry as he first appears in Summer Knight, ya know the time when he doesn't remember the last time he shaved or showered.

http://www.sorcery101.net/news/daily-dresden-drawings-summer-knight-harry-dresden/

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

http://storybundle.com/fantasy?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=urbanfantasyStory Bundle has a wee Bigfoot short story collection [/URL] from Butcher.

E: fuckin phones man

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

mirthdefect posted:

http://storybundle.com/fantasy?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=urbanfantasyStory Bundle has a wee Bigfoot short story collection [/URL] from Butcher.

Anything in there worth buying other than the Bigfoot stuff?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

ConfusedUs posted:

Anything in there worth buying other than the Bigfoot stuff?

Kevin J. Anderson did those horrible Dune books with Herbert's kid - I think he was the one who also did Star Wars novels and just recycled ideas between the two series?
Stackpole did Star Wars too.
Elizabeth Bear's name seems familiar but I can't place anything.

So... not really? Certainly nothing I'd recommend, but I guess if you've got time and nothing else to read there could be a few OK ones in there.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Elisabeth Bear is a Hugo Winner, and has a lot of very good short fiction to her name.
Vicki Peterson rings a bell for signs of the zodiac but I can't remember if I liked it or not.

The others I don't know anything about, but you could do a lot worse than Butcher + Bear + maybe decent Peterson.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

mirthdefect posted:

Just a heads-up that the Bigfoot collection has the stories out of order. Actual story order vs. book order is: Read first story, read last story, read middle story.

The idea of someone engaging in dark magic against a bigfoot to re-grow their hair (because Rogaine doesn't work) was pretty funny.

Jomon
Oct 9, 2012

M lm. , lm.m,l,l lo. [[url=]url= L . Ll . L, l][/url][url=][::/url]/==

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Jomon posted:

I couldn't agree more.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Jomon posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

This is this guy's only post in the live forums. I am so confused.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

It took him two years to formulate perfect opinion on Dresden Files. I think we are just too dumb to get it.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

probably legal perl.

In other news you can now preorder dresden files #16, for feb 2016 release.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Ika posted:

probably legal perl.

In other news you can now preorder dresden files #16, for feb 2016 release.

Provide us a link, man!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ika posted:

probably legal perl.

I laughed. A coworker described perl as the worlds first "write-only language".

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

^^^^^^ its true!

daggerdragon posted:

Provide us a link, man!

Amazon.de here

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Amazon just throws a date out in the future for stuff like that, if you want to get your pre-order in you can but it's got nothing to do with an actual release date.

As of last week Jim was still working on Cinder Spires book 1, it's apparently gotten a lot longer than originally planned. ("200k words and still going!" is what he said. I asked him if it was an Epic Epic Steampunk Epic and he laughed.)

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Can't wait for new Dresden, but don't get your hopes up. Amazon release dates really move a lot, I've been let down so many times...

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I hate Butters. He's the worst.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

LoG posted:

I hate Butters. He's the worst.
He is pretty terrible. I heard someone describe him as the "DM's little brother" in terms of what he's allowed to get away with. Thought it was pretty apt.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
My working theory is that when Butters was soul-gazed by the necromancers he actually hardened the gently caress up and puts on the scared nerd act to throw people off.

I mean, how else did he end up with werewolf Andi? The Butters that was first introduced certainly wouldn't have been able to start a relationship with her.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Wade Wilson posted:

My working theory is that when Butters was soul-gazed by the necromancers he actually hardened the gently caress up and puts on the scared nerd act to throw people off.

I mean, how else did he end up with werewolf Andi? The Butters that was first introduced certainly wouldn't have been able to start a relationship with her.

Anything those events didn't change in him probably got changed after Harry died and he started getting involved in fighting the Fomor. Also, he had Bob filling him in on everything, and actually knowing more about what he was fighting would probably help with the fear factor. Honestly I can't understand the idea of Butters as a Marty Stu, he was already manning up by the end of Dead Beat so I can't buy him as a real coward (and God knows if *I* started getting attacked by the undead and necromancers I'd probably freak out just as much at first if not worse). He's certainly not an invincible god considering how he got his butt kicked in Ghost Stories by both the warlock and Corpsetaker (hell, it took literal miracles to save him in Skin Games), and most of his "power-ups" have been reasonably logical with the biggest ones being after he got schooled in some way (i.e. courage goes up a lot after Dead Beat, and his actual combat skill in the last book after the aforementioned Ghost Stories defeats) which would certainly give good motivation to him to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Also, the angel Uriel is a dick that loves Star Wars and he always wanted a Star Wars fan for a Knight.