Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

That part where Squall has a breakdown after Seifer defects was great. "When I die, is this how people will talk about me???" That's about as deep as his character gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Even as a little kid though, Squall was a moody little rear end in a top hat who shunned the other kids who were trying to play with him in favor of Ellone.

What I'm trying to say is that Squall never grew up, he's a total manchild.

He never got to play with Ellone. She had to leave, and she was the one "family" member he had. Forbid he not be exactly as well-adjusted as everyone else.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SSNeoman posted:

ARRRRGGHHHHHH!!! Why did you have to post that!? Now all the memories come rushing back! Goddamn Mio!
I had to go through two bullshit dungeons because of her! :argh:

You're welcome. :smuggo:

Someone sent me that clip a few years back and it completely killed my desire to play the game.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

That part where Squall has a breakdown after Seifer defects was great. "When I die, is this how people will talk about me???" That's about as deep as his character gets.

Its awesome because he's usually saying these sort of things in his inner monologue so when he actually blurts the line everyone just stays completely silent.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its awesome because he's usually saying these sort of things in his inner monologue so when he actually blurts the line everyone just stays completely silent.

It's even worse because he starts off by just quietly saying "No." He's pretty clearly on the verge of a breakdown, one that I'm pretty sure everyone could have seen coming, and all anyone can manage is to stand there dumbstruck.

CeallaSo fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 29, 2014

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

W.T. Fits posted:

No, there's a reason which I bothered to spell out for you earlier, you just choose to ignore it because it wasn't explicitly pointed out in the game the way Cloud's issues were in FFVII. One of the problems with FFVIII's writing is that there is some stuff beyond what's presented on the surface, but it requires you to actually stop and analyze it, and nobody wants to do that while playing the game, so they just ignore it and whine about the bad writing and terrible characters.

Greetings, adult man who posted this post.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What I'm trying to say is that Squall never grew up, he's a total manchild.

Exactly. His entire persona throughout most of the game is an act. He doesn't know how to deal with his own emotional baggage (or even why he has it thanks to the GF induced memory loss), so he acts the way he thinks a cool, mature adult would act. His entire character arc is about that facade being broken down and him growing the hell up and actually learning how to deal with his problems. It's just poorly conveyed in game.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I would like to play an FF8 game that communicated all these ideas much more clearly and dealt with all the characters instead of shoving them aside after disc 1. FF8: A Plot Reborn, make it happen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pierson posted:

I would like to play an FF8 game that communicated all these ideas much more clearly and dealt with all the characters instead of shoving them aside after disc 1. FF8: A Plot Reborn, make it happen.
They'd just add badly ressed up sprites and a crash after the end of the first disk.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Evil Fluffy posted:

You're welcome. :smuggo:

Someone sent me that clip a few years back and it completely killed my desire to play the game.

You were lucky, and you didn't miss a thing.
It's quite amazing, really, they managed to make a game with zero originality. They use pretty every sci-fi and jrpg cliche, and play it perfectly straight.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can we just have a version just starring Quistis and Seifer doing more blackop stuff?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
People always wish for a VII remake but VIII is the one that really deserves one. Give them an opportunity to fix and expand on all the story weaknesses.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A FF8 remake should have more Garden battles and hotdogs.

Personally if they'd dropped the really dumb orphanage subplot I'd have been reasonably happy, the plot is a little hamfisted but no worse an offender than FFXIII.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Personally if they'd dropped the really dumb orphanage subplot I'd have been reasonably happy, the plot is a little hamfisted but no worse an offender than FFXIII.

Honestly, the best parts of that game were the parts that actually involved going out and doing mercenary/SeeD poo poo. The Dollet sequence was awesome and the Garden battle was probably the best action sequence of the game. I'd play a game that was in the same universe but about doing more of that stuff. the FFX-2 of FFVIII.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
All the final fantasy games are stupid and have no story worth a drat. Let me break it down, yo.

Final Fantasy - Some dude travels in time or something and a bunch of idiots have to turn from babies into men by collecting a rat tail and using magical orbs to stop his evil or something stupid. Terrible, at best.

Final fantasy 2 - Something about crystals and star wars. Some evil empire is evil for no reason so it's up to a bunch of fruity nerds to stop him or something. horrible game.

Final Fantasy 3 - It's something stupid about crystals too and a fart cloud is the final boss. Enough said. 0/1000

Final fantasy 4 - A gigantic sperm on the moon is evil for no reason and demands to be king of earth so he mind controls some big football player and a old man and attacks earth with monsters. only by using a space whale to get there, evil dark knight turned into a paladin who looks like david bowie must stop the evil sperm by hitting it with a sword a couple of times. Trash.

Final fatnasy 5- omgh who cares anymore. Some dude named buttz has to stop an evil skeleton from eating crystals or something gently caress fart -negative 10million

final fantasy 6 - a bunch of stupid idiots have to stop a clown man from blowing up the world... again. Terrible terrible terrible.

final fantasy 7 - a young man confused about his sexuality and origin has to stop a metrosexual from riding a gigantic green life beam to his momma's space planet or something stupid. Awful and makes no sense. Apparently guns don't do poo poo and the best weapons on earth are gigantic impractical swords and microphones being tossed by a cat robot. Grotesquely overrated.

Final fantasy 8 - some prick and his retard friends who are annoying have to stop an evil wizard from blowing up time for no apparent reason. Also they all have amnesia and tell bad jokes every five seconds. Awful.

final fantasy 9- A evil gay boy wants to blow up the world and only a furry and his dumb friends can stop him. Boring as poo poo.

Final fantasy 10 - A dead ghost of a beach bum who got fingered by his father must stop god or something? Everyone wears a ton of belts and the dialog is always like "i love... life..." "ohum" "fart" Really retarded. -100 out of 10.

final fantasy 11 - an MMO where all you do is fight small rabbits and crabs for days on end. The story is about uh.... who cares? You will be grinding out rabbits all day for years on end. Boring as poo poo. The bosses take literal days to kill and everything is done is really complicated stupid macros /ja cure "smoke this phat weed buddy!!~ CHRONIC HEALSZ! " /alarm 21 /alarm 12/" Worst MMO of all time.

final fantasy 12 - Who cares?

Final fantasy 13 - The worst of the worst. It's about... uh... a space city ruled by a alien who is autistic or something? I don't give a gently caress anymroe its just SO BORING AND STUPID FUCKKKK

Final fantasy 14 - A mmo where literally all you do is spend hours making bread and purple lace frillys for your super gay vest. Even worse then MMO 11 somehow. The story is about once again an evil empire that is evil for no reason because "THEY ARE EVIL" who cares? Written by a literal retarded 2nd grader.

Final fantasy 15 - Japanese supermodels have a really lovely matrix game or something. Not released yet, but looks terrible. Chances are it's about space magic ghosts sucking a japanese GQ models ballsack.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You realize you ironically care more than any of us, right

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Exdeath is an evil tree you dumb gently caress

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

big duck equals goose posted:

All the final fantasy games are stupid and have no story worth a drat. Let me break it down, yo.

Final Fantasy - Some dude travels in time or something and a bunch of idiots have to turn from babies into men by collecting a rat tail and using magical orbs to stop his evil or something stupid. Terrible, at best.

Final fantasy 2 - Something about crystals and star wars. Some evil empire is evil for no reason so it's up to a bunch of fruity nerds to stop him or something. horrible game.

Final Fantasy 3 - It's something stupid about crystals too and a fart cloud is the final boss. Enough said. 0/1000

Final fantasy 4 - A gigantic sperm on the moon is evil for no reason and demands to be king of earth so he mind controls some big football player and a old man and attacks earth with monsters. only by using a space whale to get there, evil dark knight turned into a paladin who looks like david bowie must stop the evil sperm by hitting it with a sword a couple of times. Trash.

Final fatnasy 5- omgh who cares anymore. Some dude named buttz has to stop an evil skeleton from eating crystals or something gently caress fart -negative 10million

final fantasy 6 - a bunch of stupid idiots have to stop a clown man from blowing up the world... again. Terrible terrible terrible.

final fantasy 7 - a young man confused about his sexuality and origin has to stop a metrosexual from riding a gigantic green life beam to his momma's space planet or something stupid. Awful and makes no sense. Apparently guns don't do poo poo and the best weapons on earth are gigantic impractical swords and microphones being tossed by a cat robot. Grotesquely overrated.

Final fantasy 8 - some prick and his retard friends who are annoying have to stop an evil wizard from blowing up time for no apparent reason. Also they all have amnesia and tell bad jokes every five seconds. Awful.

final fantasy 9- A evil gay boy wants to blow up the world and only a furry and his dumb friends can stop him. Boring as poo poo.

Final fantasy 10 - A dead ghost of a beach bum who got fingered by his father must stop god or something? Everyone wears a ton of belts and the dialog is always like "i love... life..." "ohum" "fart" Really retarded. -100 out of 10.

final fantasy 11 - an MMO where all you do is fight small rabbits and crabs for days on end. The story is about uh.... who cares? You will be grinding out rabbits all day for years on end. Boring as poo poo. The bosses take literal days to kill and everything is done is really complicated stupid macros /ja cure "smoke this phat weed buddy!!~ CHRONIC HEALSZ! " /alarm 21 /alarm 12/" Worst MMO of all time.

Final fantasy 13 - The worst of the worst. It's about... uh... a space city ruled by a alien who is autistic or something? I don't give a gently caress anymroe its just SO BORING AND STUPID FUCKKKK

Final fantasy 14 - A mmo where literally all you do is spend hours making bread and purple lace frillys for your super gay vest. Even worse then MMO 11 somehow. The story is about once again an evil empire that is evil for no reason because "THEY ARE EVIL" who cares? Written by a literal retarded 2nd grader.

Final fantasy 15 - Japanese supermodels have a really lovely matrix game or something. Not released yet, but looks terrible. Chances are it's about space magic ghosts sucking a japanese GQ models ballsack.

Greetings, adult man who posted this post.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yeah, put that on the back of the box. "It's not worse than FF13."

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm playing Type-0 for the first time ever and I just entered chapter 5.

How far along in the game am I, percentagewise?

Alternatively, what are the character levels for the endgame? (50?)

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

:goonsay:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Why would SE change anything about the story considering the game was critically and commercially a success?

At best, you might get some nerd cutting out some of the story bits for his mod. This mod will likely be terrible in it's own way.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

morallyobjected posted:

Honestly, the best parts of that game were the parts that actually involved going out and doing mercenary/SeeD poo poo. The Dollet sequence was awesome and the Garden battle was probably the best action sequence of the game. I'd play a game that was in the same universe but about doing more of that stuff. the FFX-2 of FFVIII.

I always saw Squall and SeeD itself as a very ineffectual mercenary company. The Dollet Training exam ends in a cease fire after the Galbadian forces get the communications tower up and running. SeeD even disciplines Seifer when he's the one who realized the importance of the communications tower and pushed the attack. Squall and friends never get to complete Rinoa's vague, ambitious mission to liberate Timber which was negotiated under discounted rate. He also fails his mission to assassinate the Sorceress (the reason SeeD was made in the first place). Irvine gets the jitters about his first assassination mission and Squall winds up getting his entire team imprisoned and tortured. Then, there's a civil war inside Balamb Garden between the students and management. Finally, Galbadian army hijacks the entire Galbadia Garden. It wasn't until then that Squall shows leadership skills and they pull off a win.

When I first played the game, I thought you would go out on cool missions like an RTS campaign instead of failing for two straight discs.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Sunning posted:

When I first played the game, I thought you would go out on cool missions like an RTS campaign instead of failing for two straight discs.

FFVIII could have been a much better game if the first disc had followed Squall on SeeD missions that let you get to know the cast, ultimately culminating in the Garden civil war where you have to use everything you've learned about Garden and the people in it to successfully overthrow NORG. It would be around the same time that they could introduce the idea that there's more to the world than what you've seen, and that SeeD's true purpose is to fight the Sorceress, leading into disc 2 where Edea (or, hell, even Adel) becomes the primary antagonist.

But I mean, there are a lot of things they could have done to make this game better, but didn't for all of the reasons Squaresoft / Square-Enix has failed to reach the full potential of their games.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

It would've been funnier to explain the actual plots with no irony or attempts to be funny because they still would've been batshit insane to read.

Sunning posted:

To be fair to FF8, pretty much every FF game is about the protagonists failing for 95% of the game until it's time to kill the final boss.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 29, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Failing for most of the game is basically every story in video games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Pretty much. I can't think of many games where you succeed regularly. (And almost all that I can think of have that mean you fail in the end or you're helping the villain.)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much. I can't think of many games where you succeed regularly. (And almost all that I can think of have that mean you fail in the end or you're helping the villain.)

Skyward Sword has you succeed pretty often, except at the end (which works out anyway).

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Ok.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Tae posted:

Some games are better about this, with Majora's Mask letting you slowly fix the world and making everyone's lives happier, even as you completed each dungeon the world would gradually return to a livable, plague-less state. JRPGs just love sending "YOU hosed UP" messages every. single. time a protagonist might be happy with whatever objective they completed.

It's annoying and grating as gently caress that so many games run that cliche. Can't the protagonist succeed for once? Just because x protagonist did a good job or whatever and isn't a constant sea of failures doesn't make them a Mary Sue, hell the opposite can occur and turn them into a quivering pile of Mary Sue pity tears.

How Rude fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 29, 2014

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Chrono Trigger's NG+ is like the anti-failure, you can succeed against the boss whenever you want! Cross also.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

How Rude posted:

Some games are better about this, with Majora's Mask letting you slowly fix the world and making everyone's lives happier, even as you completed each dungeon the world would gradually return to a livable, plague-less state. JRPGs just love sending "YOU hosed UP" messages every. single. time a protagonist might be happy with whatever objective they completed.

It's annoying and grating as gently caress that so many games run that cliche. Can't the protagonist succeed for once? Just because x protagonist did a good job or whatever and isn't a constant sea of failures doesn't make them a Mary Sue, hell the opposite can occur and turn them into a quivering pile of Mary Sue pity tears.
It's more got to do with the game going on. JRPGs need to last a long time. If the protagonist succeeded at everything they did, then the plot would probably be over in 10-15 hours. Or possibly 10-15 minutes.

I mean, imagine if everything went right in FF4. Cecil goes to the king, the king listens and agrees that maybe he's going too far to get the crystals, Cecil and Kain are sent to make reparations with Mysidia, roll credits.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Endorph posted:

It's more got to do with the game going on. JRPGs need to last a long time. If the protagonist succeeded at everything they did, then the plot would probably be over in 10-15 hours. Or possibly 10-15 minutes.

I mean, imagine if everything went right in FF4. Cecil goes to the king, the king listens and agrees that maybe he's going too far to get the crystals, Cecil and Kain are sent to make reparations with Mysidia, roll credits. Moon Man shows up to explode everything anyway

Succeeding here and there doesn't just make the villain go away.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Well yeah, true enough, but I wasn't being literal. The point is that a story with no setbacks whatsoever is kind of boring - if everything goes exactly as the protagonists plan all the time, then why even bother paying attention to the story? You know it's going to work out.

The key is in balancing failures and gently caress-ups with successes, and in making the failures not seem cheap or forced.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
e: Beaten to the point I'm making by the person I'm quoting.

Endorph posted:

I mean, imagine if everything went right in FF4. Cecil goes to the king, the king listens and agrees that maybe he's going too far to get the crystals, Cecil and Kain are sent to make reparations with Mysidia, roll credits.

On the other hand, Cecil fails so often it's almost comical. He accidentally blows up a town, fails to protect Fabul from piss-easy enemies, loses a crystal in an attempt to rescue his girlfriend with no plan to get it back, loses two more crystals from the dwarf king, and has to pretty much rely on his moon uncle to help him out the rest of the way until it's time to kill the final boss.

It's possible to write a story where the heroes have a fair share of successes and failures. You don't want to discourage the player, yet things can't be piss easy for your heroes either. I guess that's one reason why they do the "Congratulations, you beat the Emperor/Xande/Golbez/Dark Lord/Kuja, but surprise there's another big bad now go kill it!" thing so drat much.

Bossie Lott
Nov 21, 2010
Having an FF8 spin-off deal that's kinda like XCOM in that you're reacting to requests for aid, going out on missions and managing your Garden would be pretty cool. The world would need to be way more fleshed out though; Galbadia is pretty much the only continent with major stuff going on; Trabia is just the garden and some moombas and Esthar is a single city. It actually kinda makes some of the lines of dialogue and plot stuff a bit odd in FF8; the world seems much more expansive with many more nations in it than there actually are.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mega64 posted:

"Congratulations, you beat the Emperor/Xande/Golbez/Dark Lord/Kuja" thing so drat much.

I stand by Necron just being a callback to the n times it's happened before that

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bossie Lott posted:

Having an FF8 spin-off deal that's kinda like XCOM in that you're reacting to requests for aid, going out on missions and managing your Garden would be pretty cool.

I'd probably dig it if they played up the :iamafag: factor. Instead of getting panicked, SeeDs just angst the gently caress out: they stand there and their sprites look broody and they have speech bubbles that say such classic lines as, "I WON'T HAVE ANYONE TALKING ABOUT ME IN THE PAST TENSE!" "Save me, Squall!" and "..."

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bossie Lott posted:

Having an FF8 spin-off deal that's kinda like XCOM in that you're reacting to requests for aid, going out on missions and managing your Garden would be pretty cool. The world would need to be way more fleshed out though; Galbadia is pretty much the only continent with major stuff going on; Trabia is just the garden and some moombas and Esthar is a single city. It actually kinda makes some of the lines of dialogue and plot stuff a bit odd in FF8; the world seems much more expansive with many more nations in it than there actually are.

Doesn't the party have the world's like singular airship? Everyone else is still using boats and trains to get around. Gardens aside, that is. They don't seem like reliable consumer transportation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Esthar soldiers already look like those sectoid things anyway.