Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, most of the USAF players didn't really interact with the Stinger guys much. The mostly got to play against the low-flying Harriers and F-5s practicing low approaches and acting as fodder for the Stingers. There were some cases of Stingers being used for delouse, but half the time that meant they got excited and killed both the Blue Hornet and the Red Viper.

We didn't have any of that either. IIRC we had one Prowler, and like 8 Hornets. Red Air was a handful of T-38s and two Hornets. After the first half, all the T-38s had to go home because the sun was setting, so the second half was all of our stuff against two drat 18s. And I was controlling this poo poo from some building on the WTI campus...it must've usually been used as a briefing room or something, because my "screen" was a projector aimed at the wall above me, there were like 50 seats behind me in theater arrangement. I had a combination mouse/remote control to move my cursor, the radar picture was fed by three different radars, each showing their own data overlapping each other (one had squawks, one had altitude, etc), and the radio controls were too far away so I had to have an assistant make changes when I needed something. Despite all that, the only blue air loss was the Prowler, because between the halves he left his orbit and flew close enough to those two Hornets that they got him nice and easy while he ignored my threat calls. The crew landed and sat in the front row behind me for the next half. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

We didn't have any of that either. IIRC we had one Prowler, and like 8 Hornets. Red Air was a handful of T-38s and two Hornets. After the first half, all the T-38s had to go home because the sun was setting, so the second half was all of our stuff against two drat 18s. And I was controlling this poo poo from some building on the WTI campus...it must've usually been used as a briefing room or something, because my "screen" was a projector aimed at the wall above me, there were like 50 seats behind me in theater arrangement. I had a combination mouse/remote control to move my cursor, the radar picture was fed by three different radars, each showing their own data overlapping each other (one had squawks, one had altitude, etc), and the radio controls were too far away so I had to have an assistant make changes when I needed something. Despite all that, the only blue air loss was the Prowler, because between the halves he left his orbit and flew close enough to those two Hornets that they got him nice and easy while he ignored my threat calls. The crew landed and sat in the front row behind me for the next half. :lol:

Now I'm curious what year you were there. The first 2 WTIs I went to, the last evolution ended soon after nightfall, because the aggressor F-5s didn't have night gear. At some point, big brass in the USMC said "Look, idiots, we aren't going to do a day-zero doorkicking operation in full light against even older fighters, SAMs and MANPADS. This training is happening at night from now on." Now the F-5s have rudimentary night-flight gear, upgraded radars, and they usually get augmented by a division of F-18s, and so on, plus there's an SA-6 site out there. The name escapes me, but all OPFOR planes had a near-real-time GPS data system fed into the white cell, so that I, as the white cell Patriot, could start populating targets even if the AWACS/E-2D/TPS-59 didn't see them yet if it was reasonable that a Patriot radar would see it from its set location.

I think the most Robust WTI I've been in had over 90 planes (F-18 (Super and otherwise), EA-18, F-16, F-15, B-1B, C-130 Compass Call, EA-6B, C-130K/J, AH-1, UH-1, MV-22, Mi-24 (that job seems fun), Hunter Hawker, SMART-1, E-2D, E-3, F-5, AV-8B, RQ-7B, B-52) and a pile of ground radars (ATC Aerostat, TPS-59/63, AN/MPQ-65, Sentinel, ATNAVICS, SA-6) plus they had cyber guys in play loving around both with internet and air comms.

After an F-5 made an unobserved entry into an F-18 flight and killed all 4 of them in quick succession, an O-6 F-18 pilot stood up and said "If you got killed by that joker in the F-5, join the Secret Service, because all you're good for is taking a bullet." As an added F-18 blemish, a Blue F-18 knocked the F-5 out of the sky like 1 minute later, because he saw him streak up out of the enemy formation, after he splashed the entire enemy formation. Woops.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 29, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Looks like early 2010. I wasn't a student, just there for the exercise toward the end. I'm pretty sure the only reason we were there at all was because our squadron did have a student in that course. He was a JICO (data link guru, for everyone unfamiliar with the acronym) and an Air Surveillance Officer on AWACS. Bald and pudgy, but entertaining to be around and knew his poo poo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Ok. My first time there was late 2010 with live Patriot. I wasn't a student myself until 2012.

edit:

Godholio posted:

just there for the exercise toward the end.

Actually, if you were there for FINEX, there's not much of an air fight, because they're busy doing live fires with arty and infantry and armor and poo poo.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 29, 2014

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
:bang: There is not enough torque in all of Christendom to get this canon plug off. :bang:

Edit: they used PS 870 B1/2 as thread sealant. :wtf:

ctishman fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 29, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Actually, if you were there for FINEX, there's not much of an air fight, because they're busy doing live fires with arty and infantry and armor and poo poo.

Took a look through one of my random military boxes, and it looks like we were there for OAAW. There certainly weren't live fires getting tossed around...that would've actually been meaningful training for us (because we have to decon that poo poo in-theater and it's one of the biggest pains in the asses for new guys to figure out for some reason) so naturally we weren't there for it.

Random un-aeronautical question: What's the name of that place that has minigolf, arcade games, pool tables, etc which kicks out the families at night so it can turn into a lovely club? We were having dinner on the patio after work one night and over the course of like 15 minutes it went from kids and parents to...I don't even know what to call the incoming crowd. People too lazy to find a real club, or who couldn't cross state lines with an ankle bracelet, I guess.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 29, 2014

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
So I saw my first V-22's today. At least "close enough to grasp what they're like."

I was at a bicycle race, that was under one of the landing paths to O'Hare. I heard this fast, quiet, helicopter thing... And i looked up, and there it was, a V-22.

Two or three passed over. In airplane mode they're freaky quiet. They seemed quieter than a C172.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Godholio posted:

Random un-aeronautical question: What's the name of that place that has minigolf, arcade games, pool tables, etc which kicks out the families at night so it can turn into a lovely club? We were having dinner on the patio after work one night and over the course of like 15 minutes it went from kids and parents to...I don't even know what to call the incoming crowd. People too lazy to find a real club, or who couldn't cross state lines with an ankle bracelet, I guess.

They're called Main Event in North Texas at least. Not sure if that's what you're thinking of. I guess they're enough of a bar that they have to kick out minors after 10pm or midnight or something, I forget the law.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Heh it's the very first lawn dart :smug:

Nah, that was the Starfighter.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Godholio posted:

Dave & Buster's?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ctishman posted:

:bang: There is not enough torque in all of Christendom to get this canon plug off. :bang:

Edit: they used PS 870 B1/2 as thread sealant. :wtf:

hahaha :wtc:???? Someone used it to wet install of fasteners on a wingtip nav light glazing once. On an airbus, with those horrible airbus offset screws. Oh the cursing!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The Ferret King posted:

They're called Main Event in North Texas at least. Not sure if that's what you're thinking of. I guess they're enough of a bar that they have to kick out minors after 10pm or midnight or something, I forget the law.

Trashier. Found it online, it's called Z Fun Factory.

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

Spaced God posted:

edit: Also, I saw this video at ground school and can't find it anywhere online, but it's a guy giving a demonstration of the Super Hornet, and it's the HUD view with the guy talking his way through all of the maneuvers. poo poo was so cool. I remember at one point he was waiting for speed to increase and had a building in his pipper so he just made gun sounds until he reached his speed. Can anyone help find it?
Was this (minus the music) it?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

MagnumHB posted:

Oh my god you're a beautiful human being.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

MagnumHB posted:

Of course it's TOOL. Of course it is.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

This seems like a very bad day to be flying in the midwest.

MagnumHB
Jan 19, 2003

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Of course it's TOOL. Of course it is.
Better Tool than Awolnation or Drowning Pool.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I'm just surprised it wasn't Dragon Force.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

Not gonna get a whole lot better any time soon. There will be some improvements, but we're doing pretty well all things considered.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

What happened this time, another weird fire, or just lovely weather?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

hobbesmaster posted:

Because of what, Chicago Center? What's the latest news on that front?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fknlo posted:

Not gonna get a whole lot better any time soon. There will be some improvements, but we're doing pretty well all things considered.

Flight to Minneapolis was 20 minutes late due to flying around Chicago center's airspace and my connecting flight is only 30 minutes late since the equipment came from Chicago. Not bad at all considering.

However... My boss is on United today instead of Delta... United sounds completely hosed.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

hobbesmaster posted:

United sounds completely hosed.

Not surprising as O'Hare is a major hub for them.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Safety Dance posted:

Because of what, Chicago Center? What's the latest news on that front?

Reviewing security plans or somesuch. Planning to have it all back up by Mid-Oct I think.

My friend's flight from DFW to PHL was hilariously routed the day everything went out. He basically did a tour of the South the only state he missed was Tennessee and was supposed to actually fly into MDT but they couldn't get his flight there. So he had to rent a car in Philly and drive to MDT to pick his car up from the airport.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I'm getting married this weekend, so I'm issuing travel advisories to my out of town guests. Hopefully no one's pooch will be screwed.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Safety Dance posted:

I'm getting married this weekend, so I'm issuing travel advisories to my out of town guests. Hopefully no one's pooch will be screwed.

I'd still avoid going through KORD or KMDW if at all possible. They're moving planes, but still at a seriously reduced capacity. They're basically limited by what we can give them and take from them. It should get a little better if the plan with ZAU controllers running some sectors remotely from surrounding centers pans out at all.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010

Linedance posted:

hahaha :wtc:???? Someone used it to wet install of fasteners on a wingtip nav light glazing once. On an airbus, with those horrible airbus offset screws. Oh the cursing!

This is why I love and absolutely hate Aviation maintenance. Its mind boggling what you will come across on a day to day basis.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Greataval posted:

This is why I love and absolutely hate Aviation maintenance. Its mind boggling what you will come across on a day to day basis.

Pretty much. Sometimes poo poo is so hard you're tempted to take shortcuts, but then you run into the results of someone else taking a shortcut and just rage. These are the canon plugs at the leading edge of the 737 wing root that have all that sealant up around the base of the jack side. I think they just went with B1/2 because that's what was on hand and they wouldn't be the poor sucker who had to take it off. gently caress that person.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ask me about failing to drill drilling titanium tri-wings on DC-10 access panels.

:suicide:

The guys having trouble with ez-outs in the mechanical failures thread are loving babes in the woods.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
ask me about machining 6 4 plate and bending 6 4 sheet (and what our penetrant inspection failure rates are like :v:)

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ctishman posted:

Pretty much. Sometimes poo poo is so hard you're tempted to take shortcuts, but then you run into the results of someone else taking a shortcut and just rage. These are the canon plugs at the leading edge of the 737 wing root that have all that sealant up around the base of the jack side. I think they just went with B1/2 because that's what was on hand and they wouldn't be the poor sucker who had to take it off. gently caress that person.

So many times have I heard "sealant is structural" it's silly. People would find position lights or anticollision lights or UHF/VHF antennas falling off and just want to glue it back on with 8802. MIL-S-8802 is also PS 707. MIL-S-81733, the other NAVAIR-favorite sealant, is the milspec name for PS 870. I've also seen someone try to glue an anticollision light back on with gray RTV.

Times like this when the phrase "that won't fly with us" is literal.

For the confused: These are two-part sealants. Part A is white and has the consistency of warm peanut butter, but is four times as sticky. Part B is black as ichor and has the consistency of cold honey, but even sticker. Mixed 10:1 A:B, they form a uniform sticky gray paste that gets ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE and sticks forever. It has a working time of 1/2hr (PS 870-1/2) to 2 hours (PS 870-2). When cured, they're like soft rubber that has to be cut off of anything painted, and is pretty well adhered to even bare aluminum, frequently requiring significant scraping to remove.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

rscott posted:

ask me about machining 6 4 plate and bending 6 4 sheet (and what our penetrant inspection failure rates are like :v:)

Ok, I'm asking you.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
machining it sucks, bending it sucks, finishing the surface without heating it up and messing with the temper sucks, give me aluminum any day

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

rscott posted:

give me aluminum any day

Enough of a hint to figure out you're talking about a Titanium alloy.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

When cured, they're like soft rubber that has to be cut off of anything painted, and is pretty well adhered to even bare aluminum, frequently requiring significant scraping to remove.

With loving plastic or phenolic scrapers, of course.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ctishman posted:

...of course :emo:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

ctishman posted:

NONMETALLIC SCRAPER REQUIRED.

I just went to Harbor Freight and bought a fistful of their plastic putty knives. There were nylon, ABS, something white (EPS?), something brown (bakelite, for all I can tell), and something black (UHMW?).

The nylon ones worked great, but you couldn't really re-sharpen them once they got dull. I liked the ABS or the black one the best.

That, or an X-Acto knife and a can of primer. Get in nice with the folks at the paint shop; you're gonna be putting sealant back over it!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

So many times have I heard "sealant is structural" it's silly. People would find position lights or anticollision lights or UHF/VHF antennas falling off and just want to glue it back on with 8802. MIL-S-8802 is also PS 707. MIL-S-81733, the other NAVAIR-favorite sealant, is the milspec name for PS 870. I've also seen someone try to glue an anticollision light back on with gray RTV.

Times like this when the phrase "that won't fly with us" is literal.

For the confused: These are two-part sealants. Part A is white and has the consistency of warm peanut butter, but is four times as sticky. Part B is black as ichor and has the consistency of cold honey, but even sticker. Mixed 10:1 A:B, they form a uniform sticky gray paste that gets ABSOLUTELY EVERYWHERE and sticks forever. It has a working time of 1/2hr (PS 870-1/2) to 2 hours (PS 870-2). When cured, they're like soft rubber that has to be cut off of anything painted, and is pretty well adhered to even bare aluminum, frequently requiring significant scraping to remove.

ask me about having to strip off all of this with a razor blade prior to refinishing a Hawker

:suicide:

e- judging by the above I'm hoping that's military applications, if not I blame my boss in any future FAA investigation

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Major Kong on challenging airports. I knew O'Hare was big; I didn't know it was built like a airport jigsaw puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
They've done a lot over the last several years to make it as much of a parallel operation as possible. But it's still a cluster gently caress of intersecting runways. Chicago Midway isn't much better.

It's a style of airport construction that the FAA wants desperately to do away with.