Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Compressed in my Jeep rubicon sound system sounds decent because the factory frequency curve for that vehicle is hilariously bass heavy and it seems tuned to offer really hard kick drum punch.

On my "reference" system at home that is much more detailed and revealing, compressed stuff just kind of overloads you, but that's 4 8" woofers and 2 18" subwoofers on bass duty, 4 6" for mids and horn tweeters. Movies sound great, stuff with good dynamic range sounds good. Lots of modern tracks just sound rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g-4tKQlPI4 from @ZiltoidOfficial

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Is it actually official? I can't tell if Devin is talking to himself or not. Probably not official since it's a low quality rip. See here:

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/516564505233743873

As much as I want to hear to it, i'm not going to listen to some low quality poo poo.

If its not official, the guy is being mean leaking his stuff but its kind of funny seeing Devin have a Twitter discussion with Ziltoid, telling him to stop being a dick and leaking poo poo. The Ziltoid guy is trolling pretty well, linking him to videos of ducks and stuff.

henpod fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 29, 2014

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014

henpod posted:

Is it actually official? I can't tell if Devin is talking to himself or not. Probably not official since it's a low quality rip. See here:

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/516564505233743873

As much as I want to hear to it, i'm not going to listen to some low quality poo poo.

If its not official, the guy is being mean leaking his stuff but its kind of funny seeing Devin have a Twitter discussion with Ziltoid, telling him to stop being a dick and leaking poo poo. The Ziltoid guy is trolling pretty well, linking him to videos of ducks and stuff.

lol, it's devin on both accounts. it's playing off all the stuff he does live where he "talks" to recordings of ziltoid and they sort of troll each other.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's sounding pretty awesome. His guitar actually sounds pretty drat meaty there.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
so the really old YouTube account on which this 'official but low quality' leak resides is his buddy or something? or is it an actual leak and he heard about it, so now he's going along with it?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
If it's Devin, that's awesome but I didn't think he would release an lovely quality leak, unless someone else did and he's rolling with it.

Either way its fun

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Devin said that there is a progressive sampler cd going out that has two tracks on it, one from Dark Matters and one from Sky Blue. He was disappointed because they are the bad mix version.

I imagine these 'leaks' are from that and not the album.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Rusty Kettle posted:

Devin said that there is a progressive sampler cd going out that has two tracks on it, one from Dark Matters and one from Sky Blue. He was disappointed because they are the bad mix version.

I imagine these 'leaks' are from that and not the album.

They're actually all from this Canadian radio broadcast as best I can tell, though Universal Flame isn't in it I'd be willing to bet the situation isn't a whole lot different given the quality.

http://www.cjlo.com/?q=shows/burnt-offerings/episode-28091418

Contains half the drat Z2 album in poo poo quality and another 3 or 4 unheard sky blue tracks.

EDIT: if you're going to listen, just go to Part 2 right away. It starts right at the massive Z2 block.

Vegastar fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 29, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Man, I wanted to wait for a better quality version but I just really wanted to hear War Princess.

Totally worth it :allears:

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

axleblaze posted:

Man, I wanted to wait for a better quality version but I just really wanted to hear War Princess.

Totally worth it :allears:

Yeah, I had a really hard time resisting too. Even with the quality being mediocre, I'm still loving the poo poo out of what I've heard. Intentionally turned it off before Dimension Z started just to keep the ending a surprise. Can't wait to hear this all the way through. I'm really loving the "radio drama" approach, and it is very much that.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I caved very easily and listened to that dumb radio show.

The album sounds great and really just made me pumped for the full quality version. You can tell there is a bunch of awesome poo poo happening in the background. The universal choir sounds awesome but man I wanna hear that thing in its full glory.

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
this exists http://www.ziltoid.com/

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Still waiting on the new tracks. He said he was going to release them on Monday :(

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
are you surprised?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
But he said he would :smith:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
he said they would be released last week too. the guy just needs to stop giving dates for things.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

NA pre-order is up here. Give the crazy man your money.

Also:

a big fat bunny fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 3, 2014

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

a big fat bunny posted:

NA pre-order is up here. Give the crazy man your money.

Also:

I am so happy I asked him for that. Not sure how well it'll actually blow up in to a poster, but god drat it I want to try anyway.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
I pre-ordered on Amazon due to Prime shipping. I couldn't be any more excited for this album.

Really curious how the drums will sound compared to the first Ziltoid.

http://www.last.fm/user/deltawing12/
Sergeant Rathbun - USMC
Operation Iraqi Freedom 05-07 Oct 06 - Apr 07

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
the youtube leaks previously shared by devin are now down.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Deathray Lyric Video

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
I've stayed away from the leaks and guitar snippets dev has put out so far but after watching that death ray video I'm officially hyped

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
gently caress! That's loving awesome!

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I was wondering what song this video was from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q82Kaj6pGJo

Sounds great, looking forward to it.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Of all the leaked songs, Deathray was my least favorite. If you guys like this, you'll love the rest of the album (or at least the other ten songs that leaked on that one radio show).

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
Deathray is ok I guess, it sounds pretty average and kind of like More's twin brother from Epicloud. Not bad, but didn't have that magic moment. Still super psyched.

SmejWorth
May 17, 2004

what! no muffin?!
Rejoice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2KS3eyO-SU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Devy is singlehandedly keeping nu-metal alive

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

College Slice
I like it. Sounds like he's getting Down With The Sickness in the verse, but overall its a good track. Quite hypnotic, and there's the tiniest hint of late SYL in there as well. With the other one that leaked, Sky Blue so far seems awesome.

henpod fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Oct 9, 2014

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe its all a big joke like when tool "leaked" 10,000 days and everyone fell for it, and then they just didn't release the REAL 10,000 days, ever... Har Har.

The Jenk
Apr 18, 2009
I think Deathray is the first Devin song I've ever been disappointed by. Normally if I don't get it, it needs a few more listens, but I don't think that's going to save Deathray :(

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Man, that song has so much energy that I don't care that it's similar to his other stuff.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

The Jenk posted:

I think Deathray is the first Devin song I've ever been disappointed by. Normally if I don't get it, it needs a few more listens, but I don't think that's going to save Deathray :(

On the other hand, I have a friend that has been listening to it for days and wont stop randomly shouting its lyrics.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

The Jenk posted:

Pretty much this. Disconcerted by how un-excited I am about this album right now.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

nomapple posted:

Pretty much this. Disconcerted by how un-excited I am about this album right now.

I would still be excited. For me, it seems like the record company chose what would be the 'single' in the same way they chose Lucky Animals. I've been listening to the poor quality leaks (something that I would not recommend) and think literally any other song on that album would have been better. Deathray will not be the automatic skip that Lucky Animals is on Epicloud, but it is certainly my least favorite of the leaks.

Someone somewhere described Deathray as sounding like a 'Ziltoid pinball machine' and I pretty much agree. I am really excited to hear everything in full quality.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I completely forgot about Lucky Animals; that was a really poo poo track.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I don't know how they pick these things. I wonder how many people took a pass on epicloud because of that stinker of a track.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
It's his own label, yet he acts surprised when they picked it? I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I don't know how it works really, but everything isn't through hevydevy. It seems like his label deals with the recording and merchandise while Insideout and EMI deals with the marketing and tours. He has stated in the past that he doesn't have control over the tour dates and ticket prices.

So he has more freedom when actually making the album, but once it is done and sent off to the label for promotion and marketing, it is out of his hands. Though I don't think he has complete freedom, as I remember him saying once that the label made him turn down some noodlely guitar parts in the mix of the mighty masturbator. I also think that he dislikes the 'god damns you' part of Juular. He refuses to sing that part live for some reason. Whether this was his regret or the labels decision is unclear, but the fact that he apparently hates it so much makes me wonder why it is there to begin with.

That's why I hope that he crowdfunds more. The guy doesn't poo poo gold, but his best work seems to be when he has as much freedom as he did with Casualties. I think that record and the first Ziltoid were both all him with no intervention.

• Locked thread