Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Are only certain people having issues with this? I didn't have any problems with WiFi on 8.0 or 8.0.2 across multiple different WiFi networks :confused:

Pre and post updates I've had a couple instances where wifi and such stopped working and upon reboot was fine like nothing had ever happened. (6+)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what "real professional job" uses free Gmail accounts for business purposes.

Many businesses use Google Apps for Work. However for those people Google allows the Exchange support that it used to allow everyone, so push isn't an issue for them.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

TheJoker138 posted:

On my MacBook, when I had it, iTunes worked perfectly. On Windows, not so much.

Ah that's too bad because it works perfectly for me on Windows and has for years. CASE CLOSED

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Feenix posted:

OIS is nuts. I ran alongside my kid in the grass and the video looks like the camera is on a loving dolly or something.

OIS only works on still photos. Both iPhone 6 and 6+ have digital stabilization for video.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Militree posted:

So I just switched over from Android after 4 years or so. I don't get the Notification Center. What is it for? I have gotten texts, emails, and Facebook posts/comments all day but it keeps saying "No Notifications." It looks like things are right in the settings for it, do I need to turn something else on?

Also I have been sending myself emails to test it out, but since I turned off the red notification badges for gmail (since I had hundreds of unread emails) I have no way to know I got an email other than a non descript "bling."

e: I just got a "bling" and I have no idea what it was for. I have no notifications and no banners. :(

Settings > Notifications > Make sure individual apps have Banners enabled and number of items in "Show in Notification Center" and maybe even "Show on Lock Screen"

e: here's an example of my Facebook Notifications settings

e2: why the gently caress is there still an option for the "Alerts" style notification? Who uses those besides maybe for alarms?

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 29, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

OIS only works on still photos. Both iPhone 6 and 6+ have digital stabilization for video.

Oh no poo poo? Thanks for clarifying!

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

The video stabilisation is pretty impressive though, I remember someone posted a video from a Disneyland rollercoaster (might've been Thunder Mountain?) as part of a review and it looked loving amazing.

edit; Might've been this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtBaSrDCUZc

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
My new phone basically had to be restored two or three times to get music to sync and not leave 40GB of "Other" as well as the music, which still wasn't playable.

iTunes is pretty bad.

Edit: in probably non-iTunes problems, songs I've bought directly on my phone and downloaded will sometimes disappear (I don't have Match) and I have to re download them. I need to test to see if this only happens between syncs with my PC. Some songs I've synced from my PC still aren't around due to broken syncing but I wouldn't expect purchased music to be disappearing.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 29, 2014

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

ShoogaSlim posted:

Settings > Notifications > Make sure individual apps have Banners enabled and number of items in "Show in Notification Center" and maybe even "Show on Lock Screen"

e2: why the gently caress is there still an option for the "Alerts" style notification? Who uses those besides maybe for alarms?

Alerts are used for regular phonecalls right?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Megasabin posted:

Alerts are used for regular phonecalls right?

My Phone app notification settings are also set to Banner style. That's for missed call and voice mail alerts. When you get an actual phone call your whole phone just displays the caller information there's no way to change that unless you have DND on or something.

Ganeen
Mar 3, 2004

I made this, isn't it offensive?
Goddamn, I hate Jews. All hiding in the moutains in Pakistan and shit.
If I suddenly see an iPhone on the apple website for in-store pickup, how long does it take for me to cancel my existing order that I have through Apple.com?

Heid the Ball
Nov 2, 2005
Gordon's ALIVE?!?!?
Silver 64GB Plus arrived just now.

Screen is beautiful, it just jumps out at you, can't believe something this thin can have such a beautiful screen.

Yes it's massive, but it fits in my normal Gap jeans pocket without sticking out, and there's no danger of it bending. I'm a moderately rotund dude with big thighs and it's not an issue.

Enjoying the extra real estate for apps although Awful looks like it's for blind people.

I've seen the future, and it's holding a floor tile to your face!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

ShoogaSlim posted:

I think the way notifications are managed is something that needs a major overhaul.

I'm not sure what the answer is but there must be a better way, one that doesn't involve a long list of dozens of apps and multiple sliders for each.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm biased as gently caress, as I wrote an iTunes thread for this board.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3022963

But yeah, if anyone wants help with the program, I can help out there. Or at least try (I don't use Match). I know the program is buggy, moreso on Windows for sure. But I also ran it on Windows for a while when I was sick of Hackintoshing (then I got a real Mac). But in terms of using and troubleshooting some problems, I can help there.

I also just did the little song and dance of "Restore iPhone" of the iPhone 6, "Restore Backup" to get my files on, and then resyncing my music to get rid of like 50 gigs of "Other". I was trying to troubleshoot why iTunes was getting double plays from my 6, and kept interrupting the sync which lead to that garbage. The restore/restore/resync cleared out the "Other", and seems to have stopped that issue.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Cool thanks. That should be useful to me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I use alerts for text messages, still.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

I think the way notifications are managed is something that needs a major overhaul.

I'm not sure what the answer is but there must be a better way, one that doesn't involve a long list of dozens of apps and multiple sliders for each.

It's not elegant, but a quick and dirty fix would be not grouping by app, and just list them by time, with the ability to slide them over and take an action like the inbox, and a master clear for the whole list.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

The Dave posted:

It's not elegant, but a quick and dirty fix would be not grouping by app, and just list them by time, with the ability to slide them over and take an action like the inbox, and a master clear for the whole list.

I mean even before then. Somebody on this page said they heard a notification sound but didn't know what for. My phone also bongles at me sometimes and I don't know why. I need to go through the list and see what is set to notify me without actually 'notify' me. Which is a PITA.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pissflaps posted:

I mean even before then. Somebody on this page said they heard a notification sound but didn't know what for. My phone also bongles at me sometimes and I don't know why. I need to go through the list and see what is set to notify me without actually 'notify' me. Which is a PITA.

Maybe I'm missing something, but anything that ever gives you a notification shows up in the notifications drop down, unless you've told it not to do so? If your phone chirps at you, check that and find out what it was?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Many businesses use Google Apps for Work. However for those people Google allows the Exchange support that it used to allow everyone, so push isn't an issue for them.
Yes, I know, but I specifically mentioned free Gmail because that does not offer Exchange support.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
While iOS 8 is still buggy as can be, I really like what it has become. Still need some edges to be smoothed over, etc, but I really feel like it serves me better than Android now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Ouhei posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but anything that ever gives you a notification shows up in the notifications drop down, unless you've told it not to do so? If your phone chirps at you, check that and find out what it was?

You're not missing anything. I dare say I have told things not to notify me in the notification drop down at some point but then i've left them notifying me via other ways because I haven't micromanaged my phone's notification settings.

Apple have provided me with all the tools I need to finely control how apps notify me; the point is that it's boring and fiddly and I can't be arsed and I want a better way of doing it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Still amazed that the list of apps in Settings under Notifications is sorted by install order.

I wish I could set all the apps to only show one notification in Notification Center, but that would be so tedious to do.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I've had AT&T "unlimited" for 6 years and consistently am in the 4-8GB usage range (mostly Spotify streaming during long road trips), and I haven't noticed any sort of throttling ever, although that could just be because the benchmark for audio streaming isn't that high.

Same. I've never been throttled. I've also somehow managed to use ~8GB's on my unlimited plan since last Sunday.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

While iOS 8 is still buggy as can be, I really like what it has become. Still need some edges to be smoothed over, etc, but I really feel like it serves me better than Android now.

I find it to be much less buggy than iOS 7 was at launch. I was getting 1-2 resprings per day on that, while I've only gotten one with iOS 8. My only major concern is that notifications seem to not want to swipe away sometimes.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

I find it to be much less buggy than iOS 7 was at launch. I was getting 1-2 resprings per day on that, while I've only gotten one with iOS 8. My only major concern is that notifications seem to not want to swipe away sometimes.

Yes, I should have qualified .. it is MUCH better than 7 was at release.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

Use an Android phone. You will be amazed at how great notification management is on iOS then.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Use an Android phone. You will be amazed at how great notification management is on iOS then.

Notifications on Android are pretty darn bad.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I think it might be exactly what Mr flaps would want. Notifications on by default, if one annoys you, you can turn notifications off for that app. Much less fiddling, much less fine control.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

That's a very personal opinion - I think android's system is far superior. Much prefer the ability to glance and look for a notification than have to pull the drawer down and scroll through to do so.

Also, iOS badly needs a clear all button.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Notifications on Android are pretty darn bad.

I love notifications on Android. They can be more prone to abuse by lovely apps which is something they really need to fix, but personally I think the Android system does a far better job of notifying me about stuff I want to see and handling responses.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I am one of those iPhone 6+ guys with giant hands (I can palm and windmill a basketball) and who likes an excessive case - long-time Otterbox Defender owner. Still no ETA on their offering. Anyone else love a mega-case and have recommendations on options? Those Carved cases were beautiful, and I'd get a 6+ full wood case if they were planning on one, but I don't see that they are - just the 6.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.

Piquai Souban posted:

I am one of those iPhone 6+ guys with giant hands (I can palm and windmill a basketball) and who likes an excessive case - long-time Otterbox Defender owner. Still no ETA on their offering. Anyone else love a mega-case and have recommendations on options? Those Carved cases were beautiful, and I'd get a 6+ full wood case if they were planning on one, but I don't see that they are - just the 6.

You know what you have to do:

Bird Law fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 29, 2014

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

That's a very personal opinion - I think android's system is far superior. Much prefer the ability to glance and look for a notification than have to pull the drawer down and scroll through to do so.

Also, iOS badly needs a clear all button.

I'm specifically referring to how Android handles the management of apps and notifications. As in there is almost no management what so ever. All apps can notify by default, and you have to dig into an obscure settings preference to disable them. You need to use third party apps if you want any customization to how the notifications are handled.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

spunkshui posted:

itunes running bad is commonly held like the idea PS3 has no games.

It was true, but hasent been so for quite some time.

No, it's still bad. I have 25GB's of 'Other' on my phone, and my music syncing is all f'd up. I have had to restore 3 times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

arbybaconator posted:

No, it's still bad. I have 25GB's of 'Other' on my phone, and my music syncing is all f'd up. I have had to restore 3 times.

If you're doing a full restore, music that iTunes restores will show up as "other" until you sign into your iTunes account on the phone itself. Like, launch the iTunes Store app and actually log in.

I have no idea why this is, but it worked for me.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

arbybaconator posted:

You're aware that your experiences are not universal and making universal statements about things that you're personally having problems with makes you sound like a child, right?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The only really lovely thing about iTunes is they removed the ability to randomize within playlists. You can shuffle and all that but if you just want to randomize the order to create even more shuffling you can't do that anymore.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

vyst posted:

The only really lovely thing about iTunes is they removed the ability to randomize within playlists. You can shuffle and all that but if you just want to randomize the order to create even more shuffling you can't do that anymore.

But Random is Random, right? Right? ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You're aware that your experiences are not universal and making universal statements about things that you're personally having problems with makes you sound like a child, right?

You're aware that there is an entire iTunes thread filled with stories such as mine, and numerous instances in this thread alone. Quit being a troll.