Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm still ecstatic that someone made a game like this. If it were not for command I'd be playing Harpoon3 or fleet command. Or hate-playing naval war: arctic circle.

Just look at all the types of sensor in command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So Command is basically peak grognard.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

uPen posted:

Build another Austrian gun or ship a German one to Serbia. Also your deployment isn't good for attacking, you want infantry on the hexes where you can get 3 hex-sides on the attack and garrisons on the 2 hex-side hexes.

Crush through the north-west where you can get the extra hex-sides and work on exposing more Serbian hexes to your units. Serbia doesn't have the PP to rebuild units and man an increased front, they usually collapse sometime in early-mid 1915 in my games.

e: Also Serbia doesn't have the spare units to actually breakthrough your lines, there's no reason to be 2 deep on so much of your front with them.

Thanks for this. I've made some progress though it has been quite slow:

I just can't seem to break Serbia divisions in one go, whats more, they're getting troops in from Italy. Speaking of Italy and the Western Front:

I could have probably prepared better but I just couldn't spare enough troops for the Italian front. My actions in the Western Front are satisfying, but I have a feeling they will be pushed back at harshly.

The Eastern Front has been near static. I feel I could advance but all my stalemate breaking equipment is trying to deal with Serbia.

Honestly, I feel like I misjudged the Infantry-Garrison ratio and this led to Serbia becoming more of a problem than it should have been. I am not sure if I can do much more at this point. I feel like I'm going to be on the defensive from now on.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Drone posted:

So Command is basically peak grognard.

I spent 70 on it :iia:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Any suggestions for a first Command scenario? I've gotten through all the tutorials and think I have remembered all that esoteric Harpoon knowledge.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
South China Clash, 2013 is a good starting scenario. Just don't forget to zoom out to see your primary airbases, especially the hornets out of singapore. Also don't send your LCSs to fight the chinese navy directly!

EN GARDE, 2013 is of intermediate difficulty. One of my favorite scenarios right now; it involves strikes on the UK by a French CVBG.

Also the First Contacts are good simple scenarios that walk you through surface v surface combat through 1957, 1973, 1986, or 2016.

Plus if you have any questions I've got a Command chat room that the developers sometimes drop by.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Are F-35's in the game? I own it, but the game was too dense for me to get through. I'm going to give it a new try now that I put it over to Steam.

Are there any online tutorials?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lord Windy posted:

Are F-35's in the game? I own it, but the game was too dense for me to get through. I'm going to give it a new try now that I put it over to Steam.

Are there any online tutorials?

11 versions of the F-35

I've got a Air & Sub tutorial here and a Surface ship tutorial as well.

PrimarchX has a video tutorial too.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Thanks for the video Baloogan. I didn't know about the missions, I thought it was for scenarios, I playing one of the naval only (First Contact, 1957) and I'm currently kicking rear end.

Did you have a tutorial for making scenarios? I can't imagine the scenarios lasting me very long

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've got quite a few videos along those lines.

Making a modern nuclear warfare scenario vs China - Shows how easy it is to import "China's AD Radars", "China's SAM Network" and then give myself a few B-2s and try to perform a first strike against china's nuclear weapons. I fail horribly

Kiev 2014 Before the Ukranian government fell to Euromaidan I gamed out a russian armored column rushing to Kiev to crush the revolutionaries before things get out of hand. NATO responds with A-10s. Things don't go very well for anyone, especially anyone who lives in Kiev.

I cover modifications of units here, including a ICBM being launched from a C-130 and a Ohio SSGN filled with 100+ 200kt TLAM-N nuclear tomahawks. Plus the LRASM, a new long range anti ship missile to replace the Harpoon.

Had a cool image for this episode.^

Finally covered adding a bit of randomness into the scenarios you make yourself, eg, subs and ships being placed into random locations, that sort of thing.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Lord Windy posted:

Did you have a tutorial for making scenarios? I can't imagine the scenarios lasting me very long

You should grab the Community Scenario Pack if you haven't already -- there's like a billion of them, so they'll last you a bit.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Oh Prince of Wales, you're too beautiful for this world.

Please get that flooding and those fires under control while you limp back to port, if you just sank at least 2 Japanese battleships for me two weeks into the war, I'll love you forever.

I'm actually playing WitP with the Steam overlay enabled as a non-Steam game. I pushed F12 at the end of this battle to take a screenshot and apparently that's the hotkey for closing the game. Thank gently caress for autosaves. That was the first battle in WitP that I legitimately dropped my jaw over.

Drone fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 29, 2014

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Make sure you set her TF to Cruise speed instead of Mission speed, but I think 80 flooding with 28 major means she's going to sink on the next inter-turn anyway.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

gradenko_2000 posted:

Make sure you set her TF to Cruise speed instead of Mission speed, but I think 80 flooding with 28 major means she's going to sink on the next inter-turn anyway.

Still think it's a good trade-off if those other two Japanese BB's go under.

Edit: she went down off Tioman Island, only like 80 miles from Singapore :( Goodnight, sweet Prince.

Drone fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 29, 2014

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

80 flood is fully survivable.
If you have plenty of undamaged sys to pump out the water.
I saved an APA with 81 major flood, she was hovering around 90-95 flood doing 1-3 knots all the way from Milne Bay to Sydney with stops in every single port to pump back down to 81. 115 days in drydock and she'll be good to go again.

80 sys-damage, 80 flood and 80 fire at the same time is pretty much it though.

E:

Drone posted:

Edit: she went down off Tioman Island, only like 80 miles from Singapore :( Goodnight, sweet Prince.

Aww, :britain:

(:italy::hf::hitler::hf::japan:)

Caconym fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 29, 2014

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Its always fun when PoW, against all odds, actually accomplishes something of what the British high command thought she could. If she sinks during or shortly afterwards it just adds that extra touch of poignancy.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pharnakes posted:

Its always fun when PoW, against all odds, actually accomplishes something of what the British high command thought she could. If she sinks during or shortly afterwards it just adds that extra touch of poignancy.

I'm gonna send the Warspite down from Seattle to Sydney, hopefully to meet up with the Royal Sovereign once it arrives in-theater and make a decent Royal Navy surface group.

Who'm I kidding, the Royal Navy's gonna get screwed no matter what I do.

Does anyone have a link to the Grey Hunter PACCOM fan art? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
Sorry to whine about C:TGW, and I may just be missing something but from what I'e been reading, it seems the current game balance is horrifically skewed against the Central Powers. Serbia is extremely strong (It wasn't a pushover in 1914, sure) but never seems to die down, despite losing Belgrade. Meanwhile on the Eastern Front, Russia just spams garrison units en masse with non of the historical drawbacks that the Russian Empire historically had. Meanwhile in the Western Front, the Allies will bombard with several planes. The CP pretty has to be building infantry and little else to have a chance.

I mean don't get me wrong, the game is great, but when one of the viable strategies to have chance is to sell part of the High Seas Fleet and AH navy, then it is not a good sign. I mean again , am I missing something? I'd like to see a current patch game on normal AI, just to see how the CP does it.

Edit: The fact that .16 came a month late and it has taken over a week to get their game re added to the steam store, does not fill me with confidence.

SkySteak fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 30, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I haven't played CP in awhile, I'll run through a game real quick to see if it's harder than it used to be.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

uPen posted:

I haven't played CP in awhile, I'll run through a game real quick to see if it's harder than it used to be.

Cheers, it could just be me but I really it'd be nice to check, I'm playing on the Medium difficulty.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

South China Clash, 2013 is a good starting scenario. Just don't forget to zoom out to see your primary airbases, especially the hornets out of singapore. Also don't send your LCSs to fight the chinese navy directly!

EN GARDE, 2013 is of intermediate difficulty. One of my favorite scenarios right now; it involves strikes on the UK by a French CVBG.

Also the First Contacts are good simple scenarios that walk you through surface v surface combat through 1957, 1973, 1986, or 2016.

Plus if you have any questions I've got a Command chat room that the developers sometimes drop by.

Ok I tried South China and the AI kicked the poo poo out of me. I had a good time though!

Is there a way to have your planes be less stupid about using tankers? I was trying to bring Hornets out and kept telling them to Refuel and one plane would while his wingman would keep flying along half out of gas and eventually crashed. Can you like plan strike missions or patrols and making refueling a step in there or something?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Goetta posted:

Ok I tried South China and the AI kicked the poo poo out of me. I had a good time though!

Is there a way to have your planes be less stupid about using tankers? I was trying to bring Hornets out and kept telling them to Refuel and one plane would while his wingman would keep flying along half out of gas and eventually crashed. Can you like plan strike missions or patrols and making refueling a step in there or something?

Huh, tanking should be working well. What version of command are you running? Should be running B570. Tanking used to not work very well but since a few builds ago its been okay.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'm using whatever version is on Steam. I don't doubt that it is entirely something I hosed up instead of an actual bug in the game. What I was doing was plotting courses for the Hornets that ended in the tanker patrol zone, then telling them to refuel, then setting course for their destination. A couple of them when they got to the zone just sort of meandered about not refueling even though I was telling them through the menu. I was launching them in groups of two and it seemed like one plane in the group would refuel and one wouldn't, but sometimes both did.

Regardless, is there a way in the game to automate this at all? I feel like I should be able to plan for refueling and have the planes do it automatically enroute to their final waypoint instead of having to manage it myself. This is maybe nitpicking a bit, the game is great in general.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Usually you can ignore refueling; the A/C should go to refuel automatically. Usually you shouldn't have to manually tell them to do so. And yeah the steam version is 570; refueling should be working well; there was a whole string of patches fixing it.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

SkySteak posted:

Cheers, it could just be me but I really it'd be nice to check, I'm playing on the Medium difficulty.

The devs already said they will nerf Russias economy in 1.6.

Also disbanding units is broken: you will only get MP back if they have never been in combat/reinforced.
Plus, artillery is not really worth the investment right now. You're better off teching to bombers.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

SkySteak posted:

I'd like to see a current patch game on normal AI, just to see how the CP does it.
I'll post an AAR later. Keep in mind that the CP can't win by even trades like the Entente can. You must use local breakthroughs to unhinge lines, surround units and force withdrawals. The first few turns are especially important as that's when you have an upgrade advantage.

And whenever in doubt, build more infantry. Basically never build garrisons as CP, you need concentrated strength.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I recall my Commander Europe at War correctly, lots of bombers were terribly effective in that game too.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Schlieffens gonna schlieff - A Central Powers mini-AAR
The Central Powers are a bit harder to play than the Entente. But it's not impossible, and Serbia is not invulnerable. To show this I present this mini-AAR of a gimmick-free CP run. It was played in two sittings with no reloading whatsoever apart from that, and plenty of mistakes made. You don't need perfect luck or perfect play to win, only a healthy amount of agressiveness.

Chapter 1 - The Guns of August

Turn 1

Move most units down towards Serbia to attack. If you're lucky you can kill that one garrison on turn 1, I wasn't in this case. I move the Vienna garrison towards Krakow to prepare for the Russians. Builds? Infantry. Always build more infantry unless you're sure you won't need it. Research? Industrial Warfare. +4 defense is a huge deal early on.

Turn 2

Some more units arrive and the Serbians counterattack in several places. I'm going to attempt to surround Belgrade as much as possible before assaulting the city.

Turn 3

More units arrive. I thought I would be able to retreat the Serbian cavalry but I guess not.

We are now also at war with France! I had moved down my fleet from the Adriatic in anticipation of this and kill one of their cruisers instantly.

With Germany, start by attacking Liege with the units in the back as much as possible so the units in the front can use their movement to get to and attack Brussels as soon as possible. Move units up towards Belgium and spend all your production on infantry.

Arraying the units in the East to prepare for the Russians. The fighter will be shipped off to the West, I need all the support I can get there to be able to reach Paris.

Turn 4

I finally break through the Serbian lines and get the encirclement I wanted on Belgrade. Unfortunately they keep counterattacking and I have to go slowly and cycle out units to repair them.

Brussels falls and Belgium is not long for this world. It's possible to advance much quicker than this with some luck, taking Brussels in turn 4 is basically a minimum.

I find the only French battleship outside Sardinia. The AI likes to keep it here in the beginning of the game, and it does not have the home advantage since Italy is not Entente yet. So I will attempt to sink it.

MORE INFANTRY :zerg:

Turn 5

More Serbian counterattacks, more cycling out wounded units.

We concentrate our forces in Wallonie but we're facing a lot of resistance.

Turn 6

We gain some more ground in Serbia. We have to fight hard for every hex but it will be worth it if I can knock out Serbia before Italy enters the war.

Breaking through the defending Garrisons on the Belgian-French border.

Russia entered the war on this turn and moved some troops up. We counterattack them. Russians lack all upgrades and are kind of terrible compared to German units during these turns.

Turn 7

During the AI's turn a lot more russians appear and threaten Posen. Our artillery gets nearly destroyed and a garrison almost makes it to Königsberg.

Having secured enough surrounding hexes, I launch an assault on Belgrade and take it.

We also manage to sink that French battleship. This is a major penalty to the French national morale, as well as them being out their most powerful naval unit.

In the West we managed to sneak into Calais when noone was looking, encircle some French garrisons, and move forward. Paris is now within sight!

We move up some Austrians and shuffle the Germans around to meet the Russian offensive. The artillery gets embarked on a boat to keep it alive.

Turn 8

The AI breaks out of the Flanders pocket as might have been expected. We are now also facing British units in France.

We follow up the capture of Belgrade with a broad advance that sets us up to capture Kraljevo. It's easier going now that the Serbs are out of their fortifications.

In the West we secure Flanders and pocket two French garrisons in Antwerp. But more defenders have been rushed to Paris and we might not be able to capture it right away.

In the East we have encircled or eliminated most of the Russian offensive with Austrian help. As soon as we can concentrate some force here we might go on the offensive ourselves.

The situation:
- We are in an decent position in Serbia, both sides have similar strength but the Austrians have more infantry coming off of the production line.
- We are in an good position in the West, even though the initial advance was somewhat slow we managed to capture and secure Calais (so we beat history already). Paris is out of reach for now unless we conjure up more infantry or support.
- We are in an excellent position in the East, Russia really bungled up their offensive and got a lot of troops killed. We should be able to push for Warsaw soon.

Next time - home before Christmas?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Is that playing against a normal AI? That's pretty much move for move what I attempt as CP, and it goes well up until October or so of 1914. At that point I have taken Belgrade and Kraljevo, and advanced in France to the Calais - Lille - Verdun line, without losing significant ground in the east. But at around this point everything suddenly changes, France seems to have a complete line of Divisions, plus a second line of Corps as backup, Serbia somehow ends up with more divisions that I have there, despite me destroying 2 or 3, and Russia starts grinding forwards.

Maybe I just have to accept that CP against privileged AI is essentially a UoC style get every roll perfect or reload game, but after my first game as Entente against a privileged AI that I won in Autumn 1916, I kind of assumed that normal AI would just be a roll over.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

That situation might arise later. You'll see how I deal with it then~

This is on normal difficulty. You don't need perfect rolls to win at privileged either, but you do need to think through your moves a bit more. Getting good encirclements becomes essential.

(By the way I don't really like privileged difficulty, the unit spam gets a bit silly sometimes. I prefer gimmick runs like declaring war on extra countries.)

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So I gave it another go and I actually made some solid progress. The infantry over garrison really helps.

The winter has put a halt on things but I just breaking down the units I trapped north. I am a bit worried about the entrenchment on the Western Front but hopefully two artillery will break it.

A similar hold up in Serbia, though they are making breakthroughs. Still, I hold Belgrade.

Another static front but I'm hopeful of a breakthrough. Though I have 10-12 turns left before Italy gets stuck in, and I probably could use an artillery.

Really, I feel like I have a chance. I'll probably be on the defensive potentially.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

By the way, all my C:TGW games appear to have stalled, so if anyone wants a PBEM opponent, hit me up.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

SkySteak posted:

Another static front but I'm hopeful of a breakthrough. Though I have 10-12 turns left before Italy gets stuck in, and I probably could use an artillery.

This is exactly the kind of opportunity you should be looking for. Move something like this and the Russians will have to withdraw or risk a major encirclement. (That's when they get a little yellow triangle/red dot, that makes them really easy to kill)

You don't always have to have a unit in every frontline hex, the zone of control from adjacent units is sometimes enough. You do have to have a second line of reserves where you intend to attack, to cycle out wounded units and to move into newly created gaps. It's better if you can to move a fresh unit into a new gap than to use the one you just attacked with - this way you can get a second attack, hopefully against some juicy support units.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Morholt posted:

This is exactly the kind of opportunity you should be looking for. Move something like this and the Russians will have to withdraw or risk a major encirclement. (That's when they get a little yellow triangle/red dot, that makes them really easy to kill)

You don't always have to have a unit in every frontline hex, the zone of control from adjacent units is sometimes enough. You do have to have a second line of reserves where you intend to attack, to cycle out wounded units and to move into newly created gaps. It's better if you can to move a fresh unit into a new gap than to use the one you just attacked with - this way you can get a second attack, hopefully against some juicy support units.

It might behove you to try to force the Russians out of Warsaw and Novo-Georgievsk though before encirclement, because encircled units in cities are still tough as gently caress to get rid of.

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 1, 2014

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Chapter 2 - Home before Christmas? (no)

Turn 9

In Serbia, we capture Kraljevo as predicted. After this we will have to stop and rest as our units are all damaged.

We advance on Paris. More enemies are appearing but we are getting a lot of reinforcements shipped in as well. The French mysteriously withdraw from the Verdun area. Free hexes!

The offensive in the East reaches Warsaw. There are basically two ways to take Warsaw: frontally, taking Novo-Georgievsk first, or by a pincer move, bypassing the fort. I opt for the latter.

Turn 10

The AI sinks one of my convoys, triggering this event. It will stop shipments from Africa and Norway until I get naval superiority again.

Also Turkey joins! There used to be an event (Goeben & Breslau) where you could get Turkey to join earlier by moving a ship next to them but I couldn't get that to trigger so maybe it was removed? Anyways Austria spends its turn upgrading its units. +4 defense is a huge deal.

I drive a wedge down to Paris but my troops are getting exhausted and damaged. At least Antwerp is about to fall.

First things to do with Turkey: Sell the artillery lab, they don't have artillery anyways. Disband most of the garrisons (I left one in Gallipoli and one in Kuwait in case of amphibious invasions). Move the Infantry from Constantinople down towards Sinai with rail movement. Order up a load of Infantry.

Turn 11

We consolidate our gains around Kraljevo. The Serbs launch an offensive into Bosnia. I have to rail a fresh infantry into Cattaro to keep it from falling. The French have managed to sneak an Infantry into Serbia. It might become a pain in the rear end as the French have better upgrades than both the Serbs and the Austrians.

Antwerp falls, giving our subs greater range and freeing up some units to head for Paris.

We also take Warsaw with a pincer move, cutting off Novo-Georgievsk from supply.

Most of the Russians are in East Prussia, so the Austrians can advance freely. (By the way, I have an OCD thing where I can only use Austrians to the south of the Pripyat marsh and only Germans to the north of it. There's no actual reason to do this)

The Turks advance into the Sinai. If I can capture the Suez canal it will stop shipments from India for the British, giving me a long-term advantage. I will at least attempt this.

Turn 12

The Bosnian offensive continues and I focus on defending for the moment. The Serbs sending their best units west does mean that the way to Nis looks very inviting.

My wedge outside Paris gets turned back. I have a nice concentration of units in the west and could probably get a breakthrough outside Rouen.

Note the gaps in the line in Alsace-Lorraine and the Ardennes. Leaving gaps like this is fine (but that Fighter is badly placed). The zone of control from adjacent units means the enemy can only move the one hex into the gap. Any enemy unit that does this also leaves its fortifications and exposes itself to attack from multiple angles. And most importantly, it frees up units to form a reserve for offensives.

I upgrade the Turkish units. The British have sent reinforcements to Egypt but I still think I have a shot at this.

And I run into the Russians in the Caucasus.

Turn 13

Winter arrives. In winter all your units get exhausted extra easily. You have to be more conservative with movement or your units will lose all fighting power.

I manage to cut off the Bosnian offensive and push towards Nis. The entire line around Nis is Garrisons and Small Garrisons so this is pretty painless even in winter.

All Quiet on the Western Front. I launch some attacks but the enemy has reserves to switch out. It seems like the Seine might be the frontline for a while.

In the East I clear out the now out-of-supply Novo-Georgievsk and leave a Russian Infantry completely cut off. The Austrians run into some proper resistance at Brest-Litovsk. I could take it if I could encircle it but the Austrians are getting exhausted.

I fail to make progress in the Sinai. The Austrian sub is there to catch the India convoy when it appears.

Turn 14

The AI launches an offensive out of Verdun, as well as pushing me back from the Seine.

I'm having an easy time in Serbia as they decided to throw away their good units in the Bosnian debacle.

With some Infantry freed up from Novo-Georgievsk, I begin to turn the Russian flank in East Prussia, with artillery support. The Austrians launch a probing offensive towards Vinnytsia, in case the Russians forgot to put defenders there.

I make some progress in the Sinai but not enough to stop the first India convoy.

I send some more Turks to the Caucasus. Any Russians I force to fight here will not be fighting the Germans and Austrians.

Turn 15

Serbia is falling apart and Skopje is within reach. The Serbs are out of position, out of production and out of fresh units.

The Ardennes offensive continues. I fail to cut it off but they won't be able to reach Brussels next turn due to my units' zone of control. Note the British transport shop off of Calais - I move the cavalry there to keep them from landing in and capturing the city behind my back.

I keep turning the Russian flank in East Prussia and the remaining units there will have to withdraw or risk annihilation. Meanwhile the Austrians are coming up against increasing resistance and fail to progress.

Turn 16

The British have sent lots of reinforcements to Egypt and push me back. This is a good thing in my opinion. Though I have no chance of taking the Suez now they have overcommitted. If I can just defend and keep them from breaking into Palestine every unit here is one unit less in France.

Now doesn't that feel nice? With no more capitals supplying them all the Serbs will go out of supply and all I have to do is mop up. The Serbian campaign is essentially finished and I can start moving units to the Russian and the future Italian fronts.

I cut off and destroy the Ardennes offensive. Though the French have had time to dig in at the Seine the line south of Paris is weak.

The Germans keep beating up the Russians in East Prussia although they are getting exhausted now. The Austrians dig in and defend awaiting reinforcements from the Serbian front.

Finally, in the Caucasus I outmaneuver the Russians and threaten to encircle them. They will have to pull back now.

Summary:
- The Serbs are crushed and just need to be mopped up.
- In the West, our units are exhausted and bloodied and the enemy is dug in. We will have to rest and concentrate forces before attempting a breakthrough.
- In the East, our initial momentum after the battle of Posen has slowed down as the Russians move fresh units to the front.

Overall, we are doing well. With the Serbians out of the war, we will be able to get a lot more units to the other fronts which will help greatly in our Spring offensives.

Next time - the Push for Paris!

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Morholt posted:

Thanks for the help. Yeah one thing that I've seen in stuff like C:TGW and WITE is having gaps in your lines at times. I know it isn't meant to be like a long term solution but It is a bit weird to me as I always think 'What if they just keep going through that gap and encircle you? It meant for stuff like Serbia, I often would try and just fully close the front line before doing any offensive action.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

SkySteak posted:

Thanks for the help. Yeah one thing that I've seen in stuff like C:TGW and WITE is having gaps in your lines at times. I know it isn't meant to be like a long term solution but It is a bit weird to me as I always think 'What if they just keep going through that gap and encircle you? It meant for stuff like Serbia, I often would try and just fully close the front line before doing any offensive action.
If they keep going through the gap, you encircle them. This is why having reserves is more important than a continous front.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Does anyone else feel like the city garrison units are in C:TGW are a bit of an AI trap? It seems like the AI loves to use them to help hold a front line, which can lead to some pretty spectacular collapses at times - particularly in the late-game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Is C:TGW ever coming back to steam? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

COOL CORN posted:

Is C:TGW ever coming back to steam? :(

The last I heard they had apparently pressed the wrong button when they submitted the 1.6 Patch to Steam or something and the developers said a couple days ago that it should be back up on the store within the week.

Then again I'm not optimistic, it took the DH devs/Steam like a year to release the 1.3 patch for Darkest Hour after it was official submitted and released publicly on the Paradox forums.