Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ImPureAwesome posted:

Proteus is at least pretty and the sound design is fun. Gone home lets you stare at drawers, shelves, and static notes for two hours

They are extremely pretty drawers and notes I'll have you know.

Serious talk though, the sound design in Gone Home is amazing and I'll hear no argument on the matter. I'm not talking about the voice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - The voicework of the ghost in the attic was pretty good, I thought.

botany posted:

When Sang-Froid came out I was really interested until I read a couple of reviews that said the game was tedious and hard as nails. Is that still the case?

I didn't find it harder than other games. I never beat it, but it had its moments of challenge just like most things.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

botany posted:

When Sang-Froid came out I was really interested until I read a couple of reviews that said the game was tedious and hard as nails. Is that still the case?

About half the internet has, just not in this thread. Remember when Steam came up with the tagging system and the first thing people did was make sure that Gone Home was tagged either "Gone Homo" or "Not A Game"?

I meant in the most recent conversation here. It's a stupid strawman and there's no need to bring it up when the detractors of the game haven't even said anything of the sort recently. I haven't played Gone Home but I can see that it is a video game. You control a character, you interact with things. The quality of the experience is debatable, but recently no one has said that it is somehow not the thing that it is.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

ImPureAwesome posted:

Proteus is at least pretty and the sound design is fun. Gone home lets you stare at drawers, shelves, and static notes for two hours

Proteus is cool because it is a Commodore 64 game in 3D.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Drifter posted:

Wait, what? what ghost? :iiam:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Drifter posted:

Sorry, what I meant was I don't include voice work as part of the sound design, in general. The voice work in Gone Home is good but when its just narration its something separate in my eyes from the rest of the audio.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

tehsid posted:

It's a great game and worth every penny.

Agreed. I schooled this nerd during the last sale. Except for when we turned off the ball path. Then it was awful (awesome?) for everyone involved.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Ddraig posted:

e: Also, in regards to Dead Rising vs Dead Rising 2, without being a massive sperg which I could be but it would be largely pointless, to me Dead Rising was sort of like Dawn of the Dead, while Dead Rising 2 was sort of like Land of the Dead. The latter may be a greater technical achievement and cover more ground, but it sort of fucks up why the original was so drat good to begin with.

I mean, I can think of numerous faults with Dead Rising 2 from a purely thematic point of view. Say what you will about Dead Rising, but even in the ridiculous poo poo it had (of which it had a lot) it was at the least consistent with itself.

I'd say it's more like Dead Rising 2 is Day of the Dead, as in it was poo poo on at the time just because it wasn't the first game, but later on people revisited it and found it to be really underappreciated. It had it flaws but it expanded greatly on the concept, and could be argued to be at least as good as what came before it. Dead Rising 3 is Land of the Dead. It's not "terrible" but it's inexplicable in terms of tone and consistency, the writing is all over the place and the story is practically nonexistent. In all aspects it's been dumbed-down for mass appeal and the developers seem to have forgotten what made people love the series in the first place.

That being said I like Dead Rising 3 a lot more than I liked Land of the Dead. Which is to say "at all".

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

tehsid posted:

I just want to remind everybody to pick up Pool Nation if/when it goes on sale. Or even at full price. Its a great pool game, if not the best, with loads of game types to play.

Also you can do kickin' rad shots like this poo poo my friend just pulled...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRZDTJ6UVlY

It's a great game and worth every penny.

Alucardd posted:

It is awesome but I am still waiting for the Box of Tricks DLC! :argh:

e: oh and it looks like the game is $1 this week!

Ragequit posted:

Agreed. I schooled this nerd during the last sale. Except for when we turned off the ball path. Then it was awful (awesome?) for everyone involved.

Quoting in case it got lost in all the poo poo, Pool Nation is $0.99 this week.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, what? what ghost? :iiam:

:laugh:

A reference from back when the game first came out and people were making fun of it. There isn't any.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ImPureAwesome posted:

Proteus doesn't have a kickin' rad Trapper Keeper. :colbert:

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
I thought that Gone Home was gonna end with either you going upstairs to the attic and exposing all the film being developed, essentially destroying all of Samantha's memories with Lonnie, or just plain finding Samantha's decaying body hung in the attic or something.

Woulda been much more hardcore that way.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
I really want to play that Nobunaga's ambition game by Koei but it's in full blown Chinese only?

I'm shocked because I heard the game is really good and if translated would get some pretty nice sales.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

big duck equals goose posted:

I really want to play that Nobunaga's ambition game by Koei but it's in full blown Chinese only?

I'm shocked because I heard the game is really good and if translated would get some pretty nice sales.

That probably means Koei's Taiwanese branch did the translating and decided to just put it on Steam for the hell of it.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

big duck equals goose posted:

I think the series has a very small, very hardcore fanbase in the west that has continued to import the untranslated games since they stopped localizing them way back in the SNES era. They're most likely gauging interest on a new distribution platform, which could mean them moving back to localizing releases depending on the results.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Spintires is the Dark Souls of driving games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mung Dynasty posted:

I thought that Gone Home was gonna end with either you going upstairs to the attic and exposing all the film being developed, essentially destroying all of Samantha's memories with Lonnie, or just plain finding Samantha's decaying body hung in the attic or something.

Then it would've been a 2K game

Humble Flash Bundle is a bunch of Anomaly games who cares

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
If someone decided to jump on the Operation Racoon City deal, I'd be willing to trade you a copy of EYE: Divine Cybermancy for it.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I really wish steam would stop recommending me Perfect World games that aren't actually available in Asia.

Sure Steam, I'd love to goof around in Star Trek Online, but Perfect World thinks that it's 1983 and that pirated games are released on mimeographed 8-track tapes in a seedy back alley of Beijing on the regular.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

If you bought the Watchmen: The End Is Nigh games, be warned. The first one is a boring co-op brawler, but the second is a loving atrocity.

The last half of the game takes place in a whorehouse so big you could see it from space. You beat literally hundreds of prostitutes into bloody submission for literally no reason. And at the end, if you're playing Rorschach, you have to fight your partner Nite Owl for the privilege of murdering the main villain whom you have already captured.

Most boring psychopath simulator of whatever year it came out.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mung Dynasty posted:

Oh yeah it was missing the dumb edgy indie ending. Or the twist ending where it turns out you were Samantha all this time or artsy ending where it directly comments on the gaming medium. Wow, that would be really mindblowing. Or wait, it was all just a dream, holy shiiiiit.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW
no discussion of Gone Home is complete without getting breathless about nail polish

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Well, the part of today before the sales roll over, so less than 2 more hours

Gah, I missed out on the sale. :argh:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Palpek posted:

Oh yeah it was missing the dumb edgy indie ending. Or the twist ending where it turns out you were Samantha all this time or artsy ending where it directly comments on the gaming medium. Wow, that would be really mindblowing. Or wait, it was all just a dream, holy shiiiiit.

Yeah, by far my favorite thing about the game was how everyone was so conditioned that games are always turned up to 11. People were anticipating having to blast ghosts, or activate stealth mode to avoid creepy monsters, or find a scary corpse in the basement, but nope, it's just a simple story about some people in a relatively normal house. And there's not even anything to really indicate anything paranormal outside of it being dark and rainy and one faulty lightbulb, and yet everybody was CONVINCED that some scary poo poo was gonna go down.

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, by far my favorite thing about the game was how everyone was so conditioned that games are always turned up to 11. People were anticipating having to blast ghosts, or activate stealth mode to avoid creepy monsters, or find a scary corpse in the basement, but nope, it's just a simple story about some people in a relatively normal house. And there's not even anything to really indicate anything paranormal outside of it being dark and rainy and one faulty lightbulb, and yet everybody was CONVINCED that some scary poo poo was gonna go down.

Well, to be fair, there was a lot of conversation about summoning the ghost of the dead grandfather.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Brackhar posted:

Well, to be fair, there was a lot of conversation about summoning the ghost of the dead grandfather.

Not understanding subtext (and the social behaviors or two siblings at play) is the epitome of gamer/gamerdev culture.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

iastudent posted:

For a moment I thought this meant Deadpool was back on Steam, only to have my hopes dashed. :argh:

:agreed:, what a jerk! :argh:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Drifter posted:

Not understanding subtext (and the social behaviors or two siblings at play) is the epitome of gamer/gamerdev culture.

Well, I think it's more that the social behaviors of two siblings at play isn't a common literary device in games. I don't think it's unfair for players to expect that that stuff was a Checkov's Gun; the interesting thing about the game narratively was how it subverted that expectation. In fact, the game is structured as such specifically to generate that type of expectation. I don't think it's any fault of the player if they get swept up by it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Brackhar posted:

Well, I think it's more that the social behaviors of two siblings at play isn't a common literary device in games. I don't think it's unfair for players to expect that that stuff was a Checkov's Gun; the interesting thing about the game narratively was how it subverted that expectation. In fact, the game is structured as such specifically to generate that type of expectation. I don't think it's any fault of the player if they get swept up by it.

Gamers are largely babies that don't truly understand more complex narratives than "Shoot this man" or "You were the x all along"? Colour me shocked!

Gamers still think Bioshock has an amazing story, I don't think they're quite ready for more advanced things yet :(

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hey man, Knights of the Old Republic owned.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Hey man, Knights of the Old Republic owned.

It's a plot device that has been used in countless god drat games to the point where you'd be hard pressed to find an game with a 'good story' that doesn't include it. Bioshock had a field day with that cliche, throwing in a bit of the Manchurian Candidate to boot.

It's a sad state of affairs when one of the most beloved video game stories is about on par with the movie Zoolander, it's even more sad when you realize Zoolander has more to say about society than that game in particular.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Now you're talking poo poo about Zoolander? I don't think we can be friends Ddraig.

I'm also trying to remember the part in Zoolander where Ben Stiller realizes he was the bad guy all along.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I'm also trying to remember the part in Zoolander where Ben Stiller realizes he was the bad guy all along.

that's the whole subtext of the movie!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Now you're talking poo poo about Zoolander? I don't think we can be friends Ddraig.

I love Zoolander. I just think it's a sad state of affairs when the best the video game community can handle is about on par with a comedy version of a Bret Ellis novel.

e: For what it's worth, I haven't played Gone Home or read anything about it (other than people's vitriolic hatred of it) but if the story is really pissing off gamers then it is probably something worth checking out because the standard dreck that tends to rate highly has about all the narrative interest of a 'reader's wives' column.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 29, 2014

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Awesome! posted:

that's the whole subtext of the movie!

"My God, by devoting my life to nothing but shallowness and vanity, I've allowed myself to become a literal tool of the corporeal manifestation of vanity itself, and this realization, along with the companionship of my friends has allowed me to take the sacred fire and confront my inner demons" but it's also a breakdance fight.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I liked finding all the little hidden things in Gone Home. The story ties together so much better when you actually investigate ALL the little plot threads instead of trying to speed run it.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Crappy Jack posted:

"My God, by devoting my life to nothing but shallowness and vanity, I've allowed myself to become a literal tool of the corporeal manifestation of vanity itself, and this realization, along with the companionship of my friends has allowed me to take the sacred fire and confront my inner demons" but it's also a breakdance fight.

You see, it's only after Derek's self-realization that what he was doing was a terrible thing and by confronting his inner demons is he finally able to unleash Magnum, his magnum opus, so to speak, that he has worked his entire life to perfect. It's the classic hero's journey, man.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Drifter posted:

Isn't subtext more relevant when there is an message that cannot be said - the banned books/banned films context. A lot of the stuff Zizek pointed out about subtext in the movies were interesting because there were things you couldn't say because of film censorship or authoritarian censorship.

Basically it's something that's meant to be missed by most readers unless you have a cipher. Kinda how like playing KOTOR 2 with Scorchy's LP made the story much more nuanced and interesting.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

but what did they really mean when they said hansel is so hot right now? let's dig deeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Awesome! posted:

but what did they really mean when they said hansel is so hot right now? let's dig deeper.

But why male models?

• Locked thread