Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Bigass Moth posted:

People who have it, where does it rank in the DLCs? Good, best, worst?

It's visually the most interesting one and has a really cool area design/gimmick. It's another area that goes beyond "here's a level, go through it then fight the boss". I'm not sure where I'd put it, I'm not really one for ranking, but it's good, all the DLCs are quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I found a lovely knockoff of the bonewheel. It's too short to be hit with some attacks.

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.
...aaaand this is why I love these games.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Holy crap these guys are actually pretty tough. I had to finally switch builds away from my faith/str build to a quality build to deal with them, and even then that didn't work because I don't have enough practice with Ultra Greatswords to put the Greatsword to use, or any of the greathammers.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How do you open the door under the altar where you get the Priestess' Eye?

Also holy poo poo the optional boss.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Azran posted:

How do you open the door under the altar where you get the Priestess' Eye?

Also holy poo poo the optional boss.

How do you get to the optional boss? The altar door is eventually opened if you explore the lower area enough.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Cleared most of the DLC. My biggest adversary yet? Sonic the Hedgehog I'm not kidding.
I suppose they were a lot easier if my dude used a shield, though.

Trying to find that fist weapon, though and it seems like it just may be down that last path I haven't explored yet. That or I missed something.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Somebody please, stop the pain. Im just trying to gather souls here, but nobody does the gimmick for the boss! If you want more of an explanation...

For the final boss you have the assistance of knights, who seal the gates that NEVER STOP SPAWNING enemies. Everyone except one (ive done over 20 summons now!) only has the initial knight with you, so they can only seal 1 of 3 gates total. This makes the fight close to impossible unless you have 2 player phantoms and play very, very well.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 29, 2014

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's surprisingly easy to get turned around in this level. I must have passed by the same treasure chest like four times.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

IGgy IGsen posted:

Cleared most of the DLC. My biggest adversary yet? Sonic the Hedgehog I'm not kidding.

Much like bonewheels, using shields against them is a deadly mistake. Sprint and roll!

I need to find one more bonfire and one more knight. Where could they be?

e: BTW there is now an Aged Smelter Sword to buy from Ornifex.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

How do you get to the optional boss? The altar door is eventually opened if you explore the lower area enough.

You need the Garrison Ward key. There's a spot where a golem knight and three hollows are hanging out, there's a closed door behind them. Open the door (this is on the way to the ballistas in the battlements btw, after the first knight with lance and shield you find - not the normal warriors). There's a bonfire and a coffin. Jump into the coffin.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Trying to find that fist weapon, though and it seems like it just may be down that last path I haven't explored yet. That or I missed something.

You know the abandoned settlement or whatever bonfire? The second one? Well, before you jump down, there's a path between two walls of snow. At the end, there's a closed door and four sconces. Light them to enter a cave. There's a hidden door to your left, open it and it's the only item in there.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Azran posted:

You need the Garrison Ward key. There's a spot where a golem knight and three hollows are hanging out, there's a closed door behind them. Open the door (this is on the way to the ballistas in the battlements btw, after the first knight with lance and shield you find - not the normal warriors). There's a bonfire and a coffin. Jump into the coffin.

I found a goddamn door that required 4 lit torches when the storm still raged, i tried to find this door again for like 45 minutes now, It probably has the key?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FrickenMoron posted:

I found a goddamn door that required 4 lit torches when the storm still raged, i tried to find this door again for like 45 minutes now, It probably has the key?

I can't find half the poo poo I kept track of in the first place, and dying non-stop to these white priestesses that make no sound or move until you walk away or start fighting something else isn't helping.

e: And the areas are just small enough that you can't run past without killing something standing in the door, so you can't avoid any of the six on one fights.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
The optional area seems like the worst area in the game.

The rest's pretty amazing though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

In the room with the Sword of Nil and the three golems surrounding its chest (really close to one of the trapped knights), I see a ledge above with a chest. Is there a way to reach it? Still can't open the door below the Sorceress' Eye, even though I've completed the DLC.

FrickenMoron posted:

Yes. They key is in there. Just do the same path as normal from the first bonfire, going to the right instead of towards the boss gate. Just keep doing it and you will see the path. By the time you hit the area with the second bonfire, you should remember "HEY WAIT, BETTER NOT JUMP DOWN YET, LIKE THREE METERS FROM HERE IS THE PATH" :v:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What the heck?

From went out of their way to make it so that covenant auras are suppressed if you use the White Ring. It didn't do that before.

Needless to say, the Ring of the Living does the same thing, because I'm sure the host is gonna be fooled.

drat.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Also, inner wall bonfire - there's a dude up a ledge right behind the first sorceress. How do I get up there?

Found it! Hidden door.

Azran fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 29, 2014

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
So, Loyce souls. I got some equipment for gathering 4 or 5, got up to 10 and nothing happened, popped 2 and nothing happened either?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Tallgeese, what's the deal with the items that say "the longer the journey the more powerful this becomes"? Like the Sword of Nil.
I wish I could have found the sword that heals. :argh:

And where can I get Loyce souls? I still don't understand what happens with the crowns stat-wise. Does the King's Crown gain the never hollow propiety?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There is a second item in the hidden door where the torches are. It is the bone fist, and it is behind a hidden wall to the left.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Azran posted:

Tallgeese, what's the deal with the items that say "the longer the journey the more powerful this becomes"? Like the Sword of Nil.

Well, they certainly call a weapon buff.

My guess is that it scales based on your ingame timer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how you can summon the head of Vengarl in the optional area and nothing happens. Which is great, because everything gets stronger anyway. Also, holy gently caress, the optional area. The boss is kind of lame though.

e: BTW every hitbox in here is jacked up, so never backstab from the back or assume that running away will help. They still can't get them right.

Has anyone found the fourth knight btw? I can only get three of them (the one they give you inclusive).

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 29, 2014

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tallgeese posted:

Well, they certainly call a weapon buff.

My guess is that it scales based on your ingame timer.
It could scale on many things, though. SM, in-game timer, total bonfires lit, NG+ cycles, total Bonfire Intensity. I'm curious what it might be, and how far it can scale to. Probably nothing all that special though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh that's what makes the optional boss hard. The second kitty spawns immediately with a phantom, on top of their attacks that cannot be rolled or blocked. Wow. This run up to them is super boring, too.

quote:

And where can I get Loyce souls?

I have one knight left to find and I've never seen one.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
That's generally a problem I have with the optional areas from the DLCs. Really.

Azran posted:

Yes. They key is in there. Just do the same path as normal from the first bonfire, going to the right instead of towards the boss gate. Just keep doing it and you will see the path. By the time you hit the area with the second bonfire, you should remember "HEY WAIT, BETTER NOT JUMP DOWN YET, LIKE THREE METERS FROM HERE IS THE PATH" :v:

Already found it, but thanks.
It's pretty fun to play around with. Chaining attacks together like that is great. Does anyone know if it's worth it getting a second one to powerstance them? Or does it just have the generic power-stance fist moveset.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
So what's the deal with the new crown? I have a buff but I'm not sure what it does?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

RBA Starblade posted:

Has anyone found the fourth knight btw? I can only get three of them (the one they give you inclusive).

Knight 1 - Already there
Knight 2 - I honestly forgot but it's the easiest one / first one you find right right?
Knight 3 - Just past the three-golem room where you get invaded by a barrel, down a hallway with a retainer/soldier + 2 golems, then after you get out of that hallway you take a left
Knight 4 - At the end of the hedgehog area (past Covetous, paste the hedgehog/golem courtyard), the top of a tower that you have to climb some snow to reach (if you remember the broken bridge with three jerks standing on the other side, it's up there- you also make a reeeeeeeeally big snowball there)

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I gained Loyce souls from doing the final boss in coop. They can drop from the enemies, along with their armor set and weapons.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

About the last DLC boss. What determines when the knights seal the portals? Half the time they didn't do their drat job and I had to fight the boss with those respawning adds while the knights mostly just stood there. I beat the boss now but that was really annoying.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

turtlecrunch posted:

Knight 1 - Already there
Knight 2 - I honestly forgot but it's the easiest one / first one you find right right?
Knight 3 - Just past the three-golem room where you get invaded by a barrel, down a hallway with a retainer/soldier + 2 golems, then after you get out of that hallway you take a left
Knight 4 - At the end of the hedgehog area (past Covetous, paste the hedgehog/golem courtyard), the top of a tower that you have to climb some snow to reach (if you remember the broken bridge with three jerks standing on the other side, it's up there- you also make a reeeeeeeeally big snowball there)

It's number 3 I'm missing then, thanks.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

asterioth posted:

The final area for the DLC looks amazing: Major Spoilers
The area's name is "The Old Chaos"
http://i.imgur.com/mQlckfW.jpg

This is amazing. Someone at From really wanted another swing at the worst boss/area of DS1 I guess? Is any of the geography the same or does it just follow the same visual themes?

And if the BoC is really down there I wonder what that means about the Lost Sinner and how successful she was in reigniting the First Flame...

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HaitianDivorce posted:

This is amazing. Someone at From really wanted another swing at the worst boss/area of DS1 I guess? Is any of the geography the same or does it just follow the same visual themes?

And if the BoC is really down there I wonder what that means about the Lost Sinner and how successful she was in reigniting the First Flame...

It's just an arena surrounded by lava and the Bed of Chaos's vines, I think.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really hope people like this new DLC.

I'd hate to see it get an icy reception.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

It's just an arena surrounded by lava and the Bed of Chaos's vines, I think.

Probably for the best, but those wats were so cool to look at even if the level was dull and the enemies were trash. :saddowns:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
gently caress the optional area, who thought this was a good idea? My eyes really hurt now. I can appreciate the idea but goddamn the execution.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FrickenMoron posted:

gently caress the optional area, who thought this was a good idea? My eyes really hurt now. I can appreciate the idea but goddamn the execution.

It's not a bad idea, it's just really dull when you realize you just need to sprint forward for two minutes or so then hang a right.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
In other news, you need FIFTY loyce souls. Goddamnit from! All the grinding is gonna ruin everyones soul memory.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Agh I can't believe I managed to miss the room with four torches on my second run through. I was wondering what I'd missed since I never found the key to that one door. Guess I'll go do it again...

Also I'll lend another voice to asking where the Loyce souls come from. I found one that dropped during the fight before the Burnt Ivory king.

This DLC has definitely been my favorite. Both bosses were really cool and not as grueling as the ones in Old Iron King. Though I guess I shouldn't talk until I've seen the optional area.

FrickenMoron posted:

In other news, you need FIFTY loyce souls. Goddamnit from! All the grinding is gonna ruin everyones soul memory.

:stare:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
drat, Elajjaz is already streaming an all DLC all bosses run, how can you possibly have a route for the new stuff already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Victory Achieved! The Ivory King is a cool fight. I like how one of the dark queens decided she isn't interested too. Alsanna's okay in my book.

FrickenMoron posted:

For what, btw? I have one.