Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Duck and burger posted:

I'd rather not feel compelled to carry 16 ancient nord greatswords so I can enchant them each for a quarter of a level and sell them for slightly less paltry sums. I'm surprised I haven't found anything yet that gets at this design flaw at the root.

Get the community uncapper to fix any/all levelling issues ever. Seriously. It might take a little time to get set up, but it's worth it in the end. Once your enchanting is decent enough you can can enchant one piece of equipment and clear out a merchant's entire gold inventory with it as well, though that will probably take some perk investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dwemertech felt like a bit of a letdown after specter verse, the quest is 100 minutes of buggy hack and slash and the spells either seem to be more or less the same or just not as interesting. Nothing as cool as the spell that lets you hover in space firing lasers at your enemies before throwing them into an exploding star.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Duck and burger posted:

I really wish it were possible to play without a companion or two for a pack mule, but I just need to pick up so much poo poo for gold/leveling professions. Were there any mods that addressed that?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/16438/

Craftable bags, you can wear a bunch at once and they look really nice while being convenient.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

Dwemertech felt like a bit of a letdown after specter verse, the quest is 100 minutes of buggy hack and slash and the spells either seem to be more or less the same or just not as interesting. Nothing as cool as the spell that lets you hover in space firing lasers at your enemies before throwing them into an exploding star.

Yeah the Dwemertech spells are a bit more situational it seems, but rocket jockey covers a multitude of sins.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Duck and burger posted:

I'd rather not feel compelled to carry 16 ancient nord greatswords so I can enchant them each for a quarter of a level and sell them for slightly less paltry sums. I'm surprised I haven't found anything yet that gets at this design flaw at the root.

I'd just enchant the giant pile of hide bracers I crafted while grinding smithing.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Smithing XP gain is tied to the value of the produced object, but I'm not sure how enchanting works. I'm pretty sure it's tied into he value of the enchantment, but I don't know if the item's value is considered at any point.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Are things like Expanded Towns and Cities and Falskaar and Dawn of Riften/Windhelm actually safe to install all together? I like the idea of adding tons of stuff to the game but I'm concerned about overdoing it by adding in every mod listed in MIME, let alone the Explorers Guide.

Has anyone used either of those packs that could weigh in on their experience?

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 29, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Elth posted:

Smithing XP gain is tied to the value of the produced object, but I'm not sure how enchanting works. I'm pretty sure it's tied into he value of the enchantment, but I don't know if the item's value is considered at any point.
It seems to be based on the value of the end created item. Fortify Sneak on crafted jewelry offers by far the quickest leveling (and absurd amounts of cash) in my experience.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Elth posted:

The problem is more expensive things use way more mats for not much more xp. The winner for leveling smithing is to make silver rings (use the transmute spell to turn your iron into silver) since it takes very little in the way of mats and you get rings to enchant. And if you have some gems you can make rings with those too for a bit of an xp bonus.

Ideally I would have smithing give a much smaller base amount of xp for crafting something and a much bigger increase from value. Maybe even something that reduces how much xp you get as you make more of the same item or something. Although that's still a bandaid. I think some mods give some xp for mining and melting down loot so smithing levels more naturally as you play instead of just when you grind it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
To be perfectly honest, I usually console my way through leveling crafting. Life simply is too short for that tedious bullshit.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
This is an open letter to the makers of SPERG:

While I enjoy the design of your mod, one part of it can piss right off, that part is the 'Glittering prizes' perk. 'Glittering prizes' is an otherwise useful perk Stipended by one of the most annoying implementations I have ever seen. While it allows you to make some pretty nifty preset enchantments, it also gives you the baffling ability to deconstruct and alter various Daedric weapons to different forms in a rather unconvincing manner. This alone may cause some scripting errors along many of the game's quests, however this is purely incidental for there is a much more annoying and unavoidable issue that occurs as a result of this perk. For whatever reason the implementation of the script that allows you to craft items on enchanting tables is active for every single crafting item in the game that is not a vanilla crafting station, this includes the forge in the Dawnguard stronghold (that can craft Bolts) and any unique crafting station added by a mod. I know that this is not intended functionality and I would appreciate it if you could somehow fix it, or if this is not possible: re-implement it in such a manner where this cannot happen again (magic orb summoning power maybe?).

Tombot fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 29, 2014

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Entropic posted:

There's a mod that gives you a chicken companion. He's small, stays out of the way, and you barely notice him following you around except the occasional soft clucking when it's quiet.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34005/

Not a big fan of the helmet but chicken backpack is adorable :3:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

LtSmash posted:

The problem is more expensive things use way more mats for not much more xp. The winner for leveling smithing is to make silver rings (use the transmute spell to turn your iron into silver) since it takes very little in the way of mats and you get rings to enchant. And if you have some gems you can make rings with those too for a bit of an xp bonus.

Ideally I would have smithing give a much smaller base amount of xp for crafting something and a much bigger increase from value. Maybe even something that reduces how much xp you get as you make more of the same item or something. Although that's still a bandaid. I think some mods give some xp for mining and melting down loot so smithing levels more naturally as you play instead of just when you grind it.

This explains how Sauron became so powerful, I guess.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I haven't tested this personally yet, but I'm currently downloading the hell out of it: Bard Instrumentals Only, which does what it says on the tin without the use of scripts. It just alters bards' song selections to the instrumental versions.

Also, thanks to Legacy of the Dragonborn's update shenanigans that caused all the crafting stations to abscond from the safe house (thankfully this won't happen for new installs) I ended up moving my crafting materials over to Aemers Refuge (sic). Though a few of its inclusions feel a bit excessive--it includes rooms with every shrine and doomstone, but I'll probably just console them out--the place is gorgeous and expansive with a deceptively clever layout and lots of curiosities. It also features the most non-broken teleportation hub I've encountered yet: it only goes to player homes and a few other storyline base-ish locations after you earn/reach them. Though Legacy is more content-heavy, I feel like Aemers acts like a nice supplemental base for the opposite side of Skyrim. Plus fighting dragons on the roof is so :black101:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Tombot posted:

For whatever reason the implementation of the script that allows you to craft items on enchanting tables is active for every single crafting item in the game that is not a vanilla crafting station, this includes the forge in the Dawnguard stronghold (that can craft Bolts) and any unique crafting station added by a mod. I know that this is not intended functionality and I would appreciate it if you could somehow fix it, or if this is not possible: re-implement it in such a manner where this cannot happen again (magic orb summoning power maybe?).

Either something has changed since that was made or it's a mod conflict. It certainly didn't affect anything but enchanting altars last time I looked at it. As a workaround you can just console the perk on and off, or use TES5Edit to modify the keyword it uses to determine what is an enchanting altar. I know somebody else had the same problem at one point, so maybe they can shed light on how they fixed it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Parker Lewis posted:

Are things like Expanded Towns and Cities and Falskaar and Dawn of Riften/Windhelm actually safe to install all together? I like the idea of adding tons of stuff to the game but I'm concerned about overdoing it by adding in every mod listed in MIME, let alone the Explorers Guide.

Has anyone used either of those packs that could weigh in on their experience?

The Dawn of Skyrim (Dawn of Riften/Windhelm/Solitude/Whiterun/Markarth) series and Expanded Towns and Cities should be compatible for the most part. Dawn of Skyrim only changes the major cities, while ETaC makes changes to the smaller towns and cities around the province. Falskaar is its own worldspace, so nothing should really affect it.

In short, yes, they will work together just fine. Just make sure your PC is up to scratch since the first two add lots of stuff to each city/town which might cause a drop in FPS.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Has anyone ever combined a shitton of mods and textures to make them all compatible and packaged them as a new Skyrim "Edition" to completely overhaul the game? I can see people getting up in arms about that if not every modder gives permission, but if someone goes to all the trouble to delete all the conflicting navmeshes and making sure all the world cells don't CTD, then it's still just another mod - albeit a huge one.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Why would you need to even do that?

As long as mods don't alter the same things, they're compatible anyway. And even if they do, you can usually just adjust their load order to produce the desired result. That's been the beauty of TES since Morrowind, excellent modding support built in from the ground up, the games are designed to run multiple mods concurrently.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Since we're talking a bit about player homes, crafting, and storage, I have to mention General Stores. Someone posted about it ITT, prompting me to install it as well as Craftable Cloud Storage and this mod made by our own Lt.Smash I think? Could be wrong.

It basically makes inventory management a complete non-issue if you keep a General Storage or Cistern key on you for instant, no-frills access to all your stuff and the ability to just shove items in and not have to worry about them. The third mod lets your access your crafting materials from any crafting station, though I noticed the cooking pot is a bit buggy and doesn't give you all of your food items.

You can take any vanilla or custom player home and plop down these activators anywhere you please, through the CK or by dropping craftable keys (that you can pick back up later). Or just put them loving everywhere if that's your style.

As an insatiable packrat, I just can't go without these mods.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Speaking of SPERG: Is it normal for the Soul Scavenger perk to make black soul gems effectively useless? It seems to bump human souls a class above Grand, meaning no gem in the game can capture them.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

tooterfish posted:

Lazyness. When you get that Skyrim itch after you have uninstalled for months there's a good chunk of preliminary set up you need to go through. Remember what ones you liked then finding mods that are hidden or abandoned or changed completely or had it's version of gategate shoved in.

An old fashioned :nexus: enraging goon pack is a tempting option.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Does anyone have a crossbow pack to recommend? My lizard needs something with a bit more pizzazz than the default one:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

tooterfish posted:

As long as mods don't alter the same things, they're compatible anyway. And even if they do, you can usually just adjust their load order to produce the desired result. That's been the beauty of TES since Morrowind, excellent modding support built in from the ground up, the games are designed to run multiple mods concurrently.

Excellent modding support. I'm sure seorin is having convulsions about now. TES games certainly have modding support but a ton of it is janky as gently caress and its only because the fans are completely insane and willing to make tools like Wrye Bash, TesEdit, BOSS/LOOT, Mod Organizer, SKSE, and SkyUI that its really moddable. There are tons of finicky parts and then some stuff like scripts will sometimes just not work right anyway. The CK is a pretty terrible tool on its own. I half wish all those tools weren't made so Bethesda would have to put some effort in for all they reap from the mods.

But a big part of why a pack hasn't been made is there isn't a clear group of best mods. Its also a lot easier (in large part to MO fixing install order) to get the mods you want working on your own.

Elth posted:

Since we're talking a bit about player homes, crafting, and storage, I have to mention General Stores. Someone posted about it ITT, prompting me to install it as well as Craftable Cloud Storage and this mod made by our own Lt.Smash I think? Could be wrong.

It basically makes inventory management a complete non-issue if you keep a General Storage or Cistern key on you for instant, no-frills access to all your stuff and the ability to just shove items in and not have to worry about them. The third mod lets your access your crafting materials from any crafting station, though I noticed the cooking pot is a bit buggy and doesn't give you all of your food items.

That is mine and I've been meaning to fix the cook pot but I've kind of forgotten how that mod works. What doesn't it give you?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

LtSmash posted:

That is mine and I've been meaning to fix the cook pot but I've kind of forgotten how that mod works. What doesn't it give you?

It seems to only give me the items stored in the Ingredients/Food storage meant for things like salt or lavender (Ingredients that are used in cooking pot recipes). It does not include stuff stored in the Raw Foodstuff storage. To my understanding, it should be giving you both.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Duck and burger posted:

I really wish it were possible to play without a companion or two for a pack mule, but I just need to pick up so much poo poo for gold/leveling professions. Were there any mods that addressed that?

If you have both the Apocalypse spell pack and its adjunct More Apocalypse installed, there is a Novice-level Alteration spell called 'Deep Storage' which is a bottomless container that you can summon to you at any time. I used to get overloaded about three-quarters of the way through a dungeon; now, when that happens, I can just summon the chest (from the bowels of the earth) and dump everything extraneous into it. Finish the dungeon, walk to town, resummon the container and pull everything out to sell. No problem.

Pretty much any court wizard will sell you the spell book, too.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Elth posted:

I'm pretty sure enchanting an item grants fixed XP regardless of item, enchantment, or gem (similar to how smithing worked way back in the beginning before patches, and one would just make a hundred worthless iron daggers). Disenchanting grants XP dependent on the items value. Recharging items I have no idea how XP is determined, I literally have not ever done that, too tedious.

I just enchant all the dwarven bows I make grinding up smithing. It helps to get a head start by training enchanting, it's easily the most annoying skill to grind because of that horrid UI.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

LtSmash posted:

Excellent modding support. I'm sure seorin is having convulsions about now. TES games certainly have modding support but a ton of it is janky as gently caress and its only because the fans are completely insane and willing to make tools like Wrye Bash, TesEdit, BOSS/LOOT, Mod Organizer, SKSE, and SkyUI that its really moddable. There are tons of finicky parts and then some stuff like scripts will sometimes just not work right anyway. The CK is a pretty terrible tool on its own. I half wish all those tools weren't made so Bethesda would have to put some effort in for all they reap from the mods.
Okay then... Comparatively excellent modding support, that better for you?

Bethesda have made their own content creation tools available to the community. No, they're not perfect, but that's still pretty huge in my opinion. It's not like they're holding back the good stuff for themselves for gently caress's sake, the Creation Kit is what the game's content was made with.

Complaining that the tools could be better is legit. Implying that the modding support is terrible just because modders have hit the limits of what the developer's own tools were designed to do is being just a teeny weeny bit entitled. It's not terrible, it's actually pretty loving great compared to the vast majority of games out there.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 30, 2014

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

tooterfish posted:

As a person who has spent almost as much time modding Gamebryo games as actually playing them, let me just say: :lol:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

Has anyone ever combined a shitton of mods and textures to make them all compatible and packaged them as a new Skyrim "Edition" to completely overhaul the game? I can see people getting up in arms about that if not every modder gives permission, but if someone goes to all the trouble to delete all the conflicting navmeshes and making sure all the world cells don't CTD, then it's still just another mod - albeit a huge one.

Hold on pal, I think that if you look at your suggestion from the proper perspective, ie "the perspective of complete loving retards", you'll understand that this would be piracy.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Agents are GO! posted:

Hold on pal, I think that if you look at your suggestion from the proper perspective, ie "the perspective of complete loving retards", you'll understand that this would be piracy.

I'm pretty sure it got upgraded from piracy to rape last time the Nexus modders got wind of one.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Yeah, remember that Morrowind pack guy? Nexus modders called his ISP and tried to (or actually did?) get his loving internet shut off because he didn't explicitly ask every single modder who had ever made a thing over the last decade.

Capn Beeb posted:

Does anyone have a crossbow pack to recommend? My lizard needs something with a bit more pizzazz than the default one:

You could always go with the Daedric Crossbow. It looks pretty :black101: and comes with a craftable version and more powerful version found at the Shrine of Mehrunes Dagon.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Found him a crossbow to go with his "Bones are best." weapon theme. I would use the wild hunt curiass but the ritual Boethia armor is too rad.

Sup pork pouch. :c00l:

:mad: IMPERIAL BUSINESS, CITIZEN.

Stormcloak prisoner can't believe this tiny meat mouthed off to the huge lizard. Then someone drew a sword and welp.

I accept.

*excited hissing*

Thought I was here to free the Nord, did you? :q:

I got a big big thurst for HUMAN BLOOD. :yum:

*bounty noises* :unsmigghh:

You can just see the arms of his dragonbone crossbow there, hell yeah. Dragon's ain't poo poo but flying piles of loot.

fentan
Aug 3, 2012

Does anyone have experience using Real Unleveled Skyrim from ERSO? Thinking about using it alongside Morrowloot and some combat difficulty mods. I quit my last (vanilla) playthrough when I levelled lockpick and pickpocket too much and all of a sudden bandits were super tough.

Basically I want to have to use stealth and dirty tactics to pick regular human/animal enemies off early on, and generally have to run away from scary fights, but once I'm strong enough to fight bandits I don't want them levelling up magically cause I spent some time focussing on non combat skills. I don't care about being too strong compared to most enemies later on. I'm bound to stop playing before I reach a super high level, or I can just cap my own level I guess. It's the early/mid game I want to be fun and satisfying.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Besides, the only thing a Skyrim mod megapack would be doing is delegating all the work that every user would have to do (download, install, and more importantly, update and patch) to one person, who would probably kill themselves if they even tried to do it with the most popular mods. And that's before having to deal with already established overhauls like Requiem, ACE, SkyRe, ERSO, and to a smaller extent, SPERG.

I mean sure, there's stuff like SkyProc which makes patching a bit easier to do, but you still have to stay alert for updates to every mod in the megapack.

E:

Capn Beeb posted:

Found him a crossbow to go with his "Bones are best." weapon theme. I would use the wild hunt curiass but the ritual Boethia armor is too rad.
You can just see the arms of his dragonbone crossbow there, hell yeah. Dragon's ain't poo poo but flying piles of loot.

Hey I had that mod too! And speaking of trophies, has anyone made a mod that lets you craft helms out of dragon heads or cloaks out of dragon wings? If not, why the gently caress hasn't someone done this already? Bethesda already gave us dragon legbones to use as warhammers, it's only fitting that we get to stroll around with a motherfucking dragon's head for a helmet :black101:

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 30, 2014

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Capn Beeb posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/43517/

This mod integrates crossbows in as a normal weapon in Skyrim instead of just a DLC thing. There's quite a few variants, and it adds the full range of bolts.

It includes a Dragonbone Crossbow.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 30, 2014

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

ajkalan posted:

Speaking of SPERG: Is it normal for the Soul Scavenger perk to make black soul gems effectively useless? It seems to bump human souls a class above Grand, meaning no gem in the game can capture them.

Unless I'm grossly misremembering, I think that perk just changes a couple of GMSTs. It's something simple like each gem size has a setting for max level that fits into it, except the biggest size. Nothing it changes should be able to prevent the highest soul gems from being filled.

It's been awhile, though, so I might be thinking of something else.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That crossbow mod looks really silly.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LoonShia posted:

That crossbow mod looks really silly.

...You know, I just glanced through and thought everything looked fine, but I definitely missed that one crossbow. What on earth is going on there?

It seems to be from this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/23876/

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Looks like something elves would make.

I'm having a very weird bug. Certain things I've killed are coming back to life invincible. This started with a couple dragons - I have Bellyache's HD Dragon Replacer and Bellyache's Dragon Species mods so I have really pretty dragons of many varying types. Problem is, in the past week two separate dragons in very different areas have come back to life as invincible skeletal dragons after I've absorbed their souls. While fighting an invincible undead dragon skeleton is pretty :black101:, the fact that it can kill me and I can't kill it isn't very fun and it's a chore to get my followers to ignore it.

Edit: just realized I also have Ultimate Dragons. Nothing in that should conflict with Bellyache's, so it's most likely that one. I'm not sure what's causing it though.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Midnight Voyager posted:

...You know, I just glanced through and thought everything looked fine, but I definitely missed that one crossbow. What on earth is going on there?

It seems to be from this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/23876/

It's two elven bows on top of a glass battleaxe and a glass shield without the glass part of the mesh D:

The mishmash of vanilla meshes way of creating new weapons/armor is usually some of the ugliest stuff on the Nexus in my opinion.

• Locked thread