Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Wait so the bastards ran over you AND your friend then hauled rear end away?

Some people man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

yikes

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Yeah, he was a real jerk. Having a friend there really saved me.
I lost consciousness after the adrenaline wore off and didnt wake up for almost an hour. I did make sure to give my friend my phone and told him not to call my wife unless I died and splinted my leg with wood and duct tape before i passed out. I had a partly collapsed lung and had a lot of blood in my mouth so it seemed a little dramatic at the time. It took them an hour to get me to/get a truck to me and get back out of the sand to the road. Then to the hospital.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress. I've always been wary of going out alone or without a group of friends, but jeez.

Are you still looking for the guy?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

bird cooch posted:

Yeah, he was a real jerk.

Sorry about that but...

Tell me more about this practice area you are setting up. You need help doing some labor, I can bring people to help in exchange for getting to shred some land.

North Seattle, KTM 450 XC-W. Bunch of us go riding all the time. Hit me up when you are better.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

Holy gently caress. I've always been wary of going out alone or without a group of friends, but jeez.

Are you still looking for the guy?

Craigslist>MosesLake>MissedConnections>Tryst in the sand

I was in green, you were in black
I only saw you for a second, but you were all over me
Then, just like that, you were gone.
Im pregnant, call me.

Kinda, but not really. No real information to go on. looked younger, dark hair in a black jeep Cherokee. Its not like he is going to turn himself in for a felony and lawsuit a year later.

I would like to find him and make him feel really bad. Feel bad and be poor. It cost a lot of money to fix the leg.

Spiffness posted:

Sorry about that but...

Tell me more about this practice area you are setting up. You need help doing some labor, I can bring people to help in exchange for getting to shred some land.

North Seattle, KTM 450 XC-W. Bunch of us go riding all the time. Hit me up when you are better.

Im still pretty gimpy, but I will come spring for sure!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I took the 86 CR 250 out for a trail ride. It started right up second kick, I let it idle for a little bit and started off. Took it easy-ish and got up to 5th, then it died when i let off the throttle. I popped the clutch and it fired up and died again. I made it maybe 1/4 mile. It wouldn't kick start and I brought it home. I tried starter fluid and it would not fire. Initially I was concerned of an air leak and burning up the piston. My spark plug was basically new but nice and brown so it seems like that is not the issue. I pulled the carb and it is nice and clean and clear. I checked spark on the plug and it showed, I checked spark on a new plug and got nothing. I tried another old plug and it showed spark and, once again, nothing on another new plug.

I pulled the coil off and checked the primary and secondary coils. Spec for Primary is 0.2-0.4 and it tested at 0.6. Secondary coil was within spec. Is this enough to be the culprit?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I don't have anything meaningful to contribute but I went for another trail ride and didn't eat poo poo once. No whiskey throttle, no skipping out of ruts into the bush.

Shifting my riding position helped a lot. I still sat down for most of the ride, but in the future I'll be standing as much as I can.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
I'm going riding next month with some friends - 3 of us in total, only one of us with any off-road experience.

As it's just a practice park, we're hiring some of their bikes (Yammy TTR-125 and 2 TTR-230s). We're doing it on a weekday and will probably be some of the only people on the entire property apart from the owners, so should be fun. Mostly looking at doing their Enduro course and maybe do some babby riding through the moto-x sections.

I'm a road rider normally, so no stranger to bikes, but I also understand off-road is a whole different kettle of fish.

Are there any super useful skills to learn beforehand or worth reading the theory behind, given I won't be having any opportunity to practice anything beforehand? I managed to kill by battery over the weekend after recent lovely weather and I'm full-up with social engagements until then that I have to take the cage with the missus to.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

crowtribe posted:

I'm going riding next month with some friends - 3 of us in total, only one of us with any off-road experience.

It'll be a blast! I've taught lots of new riders here in VT, but I try to keep advice to a minimum and let people learn. You already ride so you know this, but it's ESPECIALLY important in offroad - don't look at the stump/rock/tree, look at the gap between them. Look all the way through the turns. Looking far ahead - looking at your front fender will not help.

The only thing street riders tend to do when transitioning to dirt that I've consistently noticed is 'death grip'. Keep the elbows up and stay loose. Tell yourself this every 5 minutes.

Finally, not sure the terrain you'll be riding, but when new riding buddies graduate to join our Thursday Night club, I always tell them it's best to crash at the top of the hill than the middle - charge up the things at top speed. If you make it to the top and tip over no big deal, if you stop halfway up you're in for a bad time.

I'm sure more people will chime in, but keeping it simple is best IMO. Take some pics and post them here when you're done!

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I guess my $200 YZ80 needs a top end. I was thinking about being a cheap piece of poo poo and just throwing new rings at it but I think I can get a Wiseco kit for like $60 so why even bother. Time to make it a YZ85.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Nice ride today.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Went downhill mountain biking with a friend yesterday. He overjumped the last jump and broke his spine, cracked three ribs, broke his jaw, pushed all his teeth forward, collapsed a lung and punctured the other. What is it about the last run of the day?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

VTNewb posted:

Went downhill mountain biking with a friend yesterday. He overjumped the last jump and broke his spine, cracked three ribs, broke his jaw, pushed all his teeth forward, collapsed a lung and punctured the other. What is it about the last run of the day?

Pretty sure if you do that on the first run of the day it's your last run of the day.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Pushbikes: not even once

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

VTNewb posted:

drat that is nasty. I'll stick to trail riding my mtb.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah - he somehow got his handlebar stuck up in his helmet, hence the jaw thing. They put a cage around his spine yesterday - he's walking today.

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Just lemme eatcha, one time
Ay yi yiiii

VTNewb posted:

Jesus :gonk:

what do you mean by "pushed all his teeth forward"?

did he land on his front wheel and go over or what?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

bird cooch posted:

I would like to find him and make him feel really bad. Feel bad and be poor. It cost a lot of money to fix the leg.
Also the prison sentence. He should feel bad about being in prison.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Someone cracked their head open at a hare scramble this weekend. They got airlifted out. Don't get hurt!

It was Rim Rock, near Yakima, WA. Basically a big race around a drained reservoir, with rocks, sand, and wide open flats. Mr Poop sook and Spiff rode it too.

There was so much dust, getting a decent start was critical:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMt9eeHTA-k

I avoided most the dust, but still inhaled enough to have a hard time breathing until I could choke it up.

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Just lemme eatcha, one time
Ay yi yiiii

Gullous posted:

Someone cracked their head open at a hare scramble this weekend. They got airlifted out. Don't get hurt!

It was Rim Rock, near Yakima, WA. Basically a big race around a drained reservoir, with rocks, sand, and wide open flats. Mr Poop sook and Spiff rode it too.

There was so much dust, getting a decent start was critical:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMt9eeHTA-k

I avoided most the dust, but still inhaled enough to have a hard time breathing until I could choke it up.

I had a great weekend, was great to run into you guys! I didn't crash (just a little), and I didn't come in last (actually beat 4 people!). Goal = accomplished.

That said, gently caress dust. gently caress it in it's stupid dusty rear end. That spot in your video around 2:30, every time I got to that section I'd be just catching someone, and then it would just be impossible to see 2 feet in front of the fender.

Aside from that, it was a really cool environment, being in a dried up lake bed. A lot of fast open terrain that I really wasn't used to, and forced me out of my comfort zone. I tried to get some shots of Gullous in the race, but I never could get my phone out in time, because you couldn't see him coming until he was whizzing by! Popping crazy wheelies for the ladies

Some shots I did get, though:

Fractured skull = air lift. Really sad to see this happen, and hope he's okay. I must say it was really surreal watching the AA class guys hauling rear end while 50 feet away a chopper is lifting off.

My brother so excite!!1

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite gear on the Citadel

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

EX250 Type R posted:

Maybe you guys can help me, here is my crosspost from honda 2stroke on thumper talk http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1103800-1986-cr-250-refuses-to-start/

I was so excited to have successfully built my first top end and I put 30 minutes to an hour on it playing nice and easy in the backyard through 3 or 4 "sessions" for lack of a better term.

Then I went to go ride it the other day and it would not start. I kicked and kicked and kicked. Nothing. I pulled the plug (BR8EG) and it looked oil fouled so I tried a similar plug (It was a B(something)R9IX) as well as the plug that came in it a year and a half ago (BR9E(S I think)) and some newly purchased BR8EGs. None of them worked. I pulled the carb again and cleaned it, despite it only having at maximum an hour of riding and a week of time since the last time it was cleaned.

I am running this oil mixed 32:1 (8oz oil in 2 gallons of 91 octane). It has a 178 main jet and a 52 pilot. I noticed it leaking fuel out of/on to the exhaust since I haven't been able to start it. I don't know if that was the case before, because it would start right up nicely and I would ride on it. I pulled the exhaust off and there was a significant amount of black fuel/oil in it. It might have seemed worse than it was though because I was not expecting it and it poured all over my tools/tool box.

I have pulled the plug and checked for spark, it is there. It is obviously getting fuel to the engine, or through it at least.

I plan on buying some starter fluid after work today and testing that tonight.

Could I have severely flooded the engine, so much that it still hasn't resolved itself? I left the plug out of it over night previously and nothing happened any different when i put a new plug in. I did notice last night that if I held the throttle wide open (no choke) when kicking it over, I would see either fuel vapor or smoke coming from exhaust. I am not sure which though. Right after, when I pulled the exhaust, it definitely looking like a puff of smoke rolled out of the top end but then stuff starting pouring every where from the pipe and my attention was diverted.

Could it be the reeds? I think the most troubling part is that the bike ran fine when I parked it in the garage but then hasn't started since.

I am really at a loss of ideas right now. If it was a fouled plug I would have expected it to run fine with a new one installed. It was running fine when it went back into the garage.

You might need to adjust your float. If it's out of adjustment it'll flood the engine. That or the little valve in there for the float is worn out and letting fuel slip by all the time. I forget the exact name for it. I have the same problem with a bike right now, but haven't had the time to fix it.

crowtribe
Apr 2, 2013

I'm noice, therefore I am.
Grimey Drawer
So, dirtbike day happened yesterday.

3 hour drive out, 4 hours riding, 3 hours drive back.

The soft sand killed us, the front and rear were all over the place as I tried to power through it. Only ever actually came off in it twice at the end of the day on the very last run through the track after I was feeling pretty shattered. We all cracked it by the end - the heat and the dust was just everywhere and we'd been riding solidly almost the entire time.

I did however get spat off earlier in the day in a stony rut. Not sure the actual order of events, but the rear washed out behind me and ended up overtaking my front as I slid along with the bike on top of my left leg. Picked it up and checked the damage - the front sprocket cover was snapped off and the sprocket had eaten the chain. I'm not sure if my wash out was because of a sudden loss of power to the rear as the chain jumped or if my riding caused it to flex more than the swingarm had and it popped off.

Either way, I'm unhurt from it, aside from a sore wrist. I think it might be fractured but I'll check it out in the next week or so when I've got time between work to visit a doctor and get an opinion.

Had a good crack at the jumps and tabletops - I only got a little airborne, nothing huge, but from street to dirt I went in with probably more confidence than I should've but goddamn it was great fun leg out turning and powering out of the corners.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Free ride day at Zink Ranch. Caution, I can't seem to ride dirtbikes without cussing a bunch so just fair warning. Also the chin guard got loose on my helmet so kinda has some bumping noises and whatnot in there. Oops. On the one downhill where I'm going "Just roll it out" it's because I couldn't hit the rear brake for some reason. Then on my crash when you see my arms go straight that's when my legs are off the pegs and flailing along behind me and I'm all supermanning it and stuff. Whoo!

http://youtu.be/pjNDAwNOyl4

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Where da crash at?

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
7:10ish mark.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Testing the 2015 Husqvarna line-up all day saturday with Trail Rider. Pretty psyched, especially for the 125's.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

VTNewb posted:

Testing the 2015 Husqvarna line-up all day saturday with Trail Rider. Pretty psyched, especially for the 125's.

That's a pretty sweet gig. I've read positive reviews for husky's line, despite being tweaked KTMs. It'll be interesting to see what direction the take the brand.

I rode a trials bike a few weekends back and had a blast. The riding style demands precise throttle control, balance, and timing, but was immediately rewarding just jumping over logs and up small stumps. If I had to space I'd grab one as a play bike.

My buddy

It rained hard this weekend on a trail ride, with lots of streams forming on the trails. I was happy to make it up this ravine:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Ramsus posted:

You might need to adjust your float. If it's out of adjustment it'll flood the engine. That or the little valve in there for the float is worn out and letting fuel slip by all the time. I forget the exact name for it. I have the same problem with a bike right now, but haven't had the time to fix it.

I went through this with my YZ. Try leaning the bike a little and looking at the overflow tube. In my case 5 degrees of lean was making it pour gas so the casting tube in the carb containing the pilot jet was just swimming in gasoline. I bought a new float needle, polished the seat, and adjusted the float height.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

A little bit of drama at the last enduro of the year. It's called the Black and Blue.

Anna and I went down because it was AMA restart format with Brand X rules. This combo meant time keeping was at a minimum. Anna and I had a pretty good showing, but the course was really hard. I have never been to an event with a course this brutal before. Even so we both won our classes, which blows my mind. I guess everyone was having the same difficult time as I was.

Anyway, a good friend of ours had just wrapped up the Harescramble championship (Dylan Macritchie, may remember him from a photo I posted above:)

He's so fast, he wrapped it up with several races to go. However, the following thursday at a local club ride he crashed very badly and ruptured a kidney. As a result he missed two enduros. The only way he could win and become the first dual champion in 30 years was to get 1st place at the Black and Blue.

Now, the guy who he's competing with, Jim Senecal, is attempting to win his fourth enduro championship, and be the first guy to do it in the history of NETRA (50+ years). Here's Jim:

Dylan got lost somewhere between check 3 and 4, and was behind Jim by 4 minutes. At check 5 he had made up all the time and was a minute ahead. Then, somewhere between check 6 and 7 Dylan crashed and suffered a bad concussion. He finished the race (2nd place) but when he pulled in he had no idea where he had crashed or how he got back. Jim won, and Dylan went to the hospital. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be hyper-fast.

I was rooting for both guys to win. Dylan lives a couple miles away, and we help maintain his 7 mile track. It gets us free access. However, Jim spent at least three hours last winter helping Anna learn to ride in the snow. Both pretty cool guys. Can't wait to see what happens next year.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Gullous posted:

I rode a trials bike a few weekends back and had a blast. The riding style demands precise throttle control, balance, and timing, but was immediately rewarding just jumping over logs and up small stumps. If I had to space I'd grab one as a play bike.

Suhweet. I miss trials. We have a really dedicated local club, and I've got my certification to score nationals, so I go by and score for them sometimes. The bikes are soooo drat expensive, though.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Regular vid of me riding around, falling over, cussing, almost crashing, with a twist of me actually riding riding or whatever. Critique's on this part are welcome (Yes I already know I'm slow). Cheers!

http://youtu.be/K5jTtPKq7RM

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Silver - tell us about Dirtwise!

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Going to do up a blog and edit all the video I got and whatnot. I'll post it here when I'm done. Talk about sooorreee and hurting, but it was amazing. I mean I knew I was bad and slow and had poo poo form but I didn't realize how bad and how bad my form was. Learned a ton it was awesome. :cheers:

edit: Posted this one because you can see the "Try Sucking Less" so well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

When I was 10 I had an 86 KXD80 as my first dirt bike. Bought it from a friend who was moving away for $150 of my own hard saved money. Every trip to the grocery store I would pick up whatever dirt bike rag I could get my parents to buy me, and then pester them further to order some assinine sticker out of the back until my dirtbike was covered in stickers like 'RIDE HARD' 'JUST CRASHED' 'DUDES RIDE DIRT' 'SHREDDER' etc. Because I was 10, and thought that poo poo was awesome.

The end.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
The vid. I'll do a full write up on my experience here soon.

This past weekend took the Shane Watts "DirtWise" school at Chicken Creek. As usual there's a fair amount of cussing, oops. It's longer than some of my other vids as it's sitting at 15 minutes+. It has Day 1 drills and crashes, day 2 drills and crashes, and a comparison from the same section of course from day 1 and day 2. Honestly I was burnt outttt at the end of day 2 so I wasn't really any faster but I think you'll see a huge difference in my turns.

As per Watts request from his schools, there is zero instructional vid, there is some of watts yelling at me and I think I call him a prick when he passes me on the moto track. I also call a little kid a prick when I'm doing little pop a wheelies and he comes along and rocks this 12 o clock wheelie. These are all in jest though. Anyhow, Enjoy! If you just want to see me launch my bike into a ditch skip to 2:15.

http://youtu.be/Id8UwzglSDE

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
I like your vids man. You've got to running a recluse or something right? I about poo poo when your bike took off. It reminded me of a Labrador retriever I used to have that would take off like that if her collar was in a position to slip it for 1/16 of a second. I'd love to have a riding area kind that close to me.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Thanks! Yeah the rekluse is getting swapped out for the OG clutch soon. But yeah, it's nice that the bike stays running when you drop it, but then again you also have things where you whiskey throttle the poo poo out of it into a ditch lol. :cheers:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Watched the whole thing today. Looks like a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Thanks! Was a good time! Saw your review of the freeride. Good stuff. Def seems more like a wife/chick/beginner bike, but that's the market it's aimed at so Kudos, I'm sure it was fun to get to ride.