Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

I’m still thinking about all those horrible things the Thin Men said to Cammy… “You’re not really you, the old you is dead.”
If they had tried it on me, it wouldn’t have worked. I’ve come to realize I hate the old me and love the new me. What do you think, Zhang?
Time and tide will change people whether or not they want anyway. Young people’s bodies become old, fat people become thin, weak become strong or vice-versa, and experience changes your soul. The mutations are just quicker, more visible. Still, there are some things that don’t change.

I love that Zhang is the Splinter for this group of mutants. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

RickVoid posted:

I love that Zhang is the Splinter for this group of mutants. :D
I'm glad he's finally seeing some use in some missions.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

inflatablefish posted:

I think they work pretty well, because they're an imminent threat - it doesn't matter how good your lines of fire are to the rest of the enemy, if you don't take down the Berserker right the hell now then somebody's in for a really bad day. Berserkers are there to soak up your fire while the Mutons do some killing, and they're very, very good at that job. Plus they're pretty scary the first time you see them.

I agree with most of this, but it still feels weird to have a unit that attacks that way sharing bunk space with lazer-toting flying cyborgs. The part I don't agree with is that they are an imminent threat; I can probably count on one hand the number of times they've actually hit one of my units and I'm a middling Commander on any given day. If they had grenades too then they would be legitimately terrifying, like how others have said about Cyberdisks.

e: their special animation is pretty awesome though, Speedball if there's a way for you to show that off when we get to that point you should post a video too :)

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I have never played this game. I have, however, played the original XCOM.

Thus, the answer is and can only be gently caress CHRYSSALIDS FOREVER.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Jeez, this went really easily well for you :smith: When I did mine, I managed to get out, but getting my lads and ladies to the Skyranger was a nail biting affair because on the last turn, the lids had caught up (dashed into range within 5 tiles of the escape), and I was out of ammo.

I then had to play loving tetris with my units in order to get them into the Skyranger before finally slotting the last one and escaping.

As for favourite most hated enemies, Cyberdiscs are up there for me, but Sectoid Commanders, because they are ideal support units for Mech units, which comprise the majority of the late game units and the shields they put out are super strong, along with their high chance of mind control.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

tithin posted:

Jeez, this went really easily well for you :smith:

Practice. Plus, getting someone with either jumpy legs, or, in Bar-Lev's case, ROCKET BOOTS, lets you jump right to the top of the ship to cut two turns off the ordeal. That helps a LOT. Still, I'm surprised neither Bar-Lev or the Shiv got wounded.

Silver Spooner
Jun 10, 2013
I think I'm gonna join in on saying gently caress Chryssalids. The only time I've ever been TPK'ed was on a terror mission, and for some reason I just wasn't in the RNG's good books. Lots of misses and they picked up a lot of zombies. Then some of my squad got zombied. Then I was boned.

The Cyberdiscs and Sectopods I actually had very little trouble with for the most part, once my heavies got a bit more tricked out.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

I'm going to go with Exalt because in vanilla their missions are incredibly boring and in Long War ridiculously hard.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Silver Spooner posted:

I think I'm gonna join in on saying gently caress Chryssalids. The only time I've ever been TPK'ed was on a terror mission, and for some reason I just wasn't in the RNG's good books. Lots of misses and they picked up a lot of zombies. Then some of my squad got zombied. Then I was boned.

Funny story - I'm playing Long War and streaming it for some regulars in a different thread.

Got to my first terror mission, first character, first move, moved one tile, tripped 4 or 5 pods totalling 15 Chrysallids that all immediately ran for my team. You should have heard me laugh, it was manic.

Turned my rear end around and loving left.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Speedball posted:

Which alien do you hate the most?

Seen so far? Seekers. Unseen (and hated more)? Cyberdisks. Especially when the game throws two of them at you at once.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Speedball posted:

Which alien do you hate the most?

Welp, first time I ever met Chrysalids I lost like 3 of 5 people to the bastards... I definitely know my pick for the "Worst Alien of the Year" Award!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Chrysalids. With other aliens, even if the RNG hates you, you could manage them. With these guys? RNG decide that today's not your day and half of your team are zombies if not all of them.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Outsiders. Disturbingly accurate regenerating sods who always trigger with my last soldier.

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
loving Cyberdiscs I've had many a run go badly simply due to them. Three Colonels, weakened to the point where the mutons around them only had to shoot them once each to kill them. And two of them were the Supports so no medikits for anyone after that.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sectopods. Not because their danger level, though they are definitely up there. No, it's because two attempts at the final mission in a row have been glitched into oblivion by their stupid asses.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Chrysalids because even now I can still visually see them coming up to one of my veteran soldiers in Power Amror and swiping him twice and killing him.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
The only right answer is the Douchedisk in the last mission of the arc Zhang's mission starts. If you've not done it, the fucker starts activated for some reason and will just pop through a door to invert someone's rear end in a top hat as the first sign of its existence.

Vicevirtuoso
Feb 3, 2014
My experience with the game is significantly lower than most of you, buuuut I'll chime in.

Sectoid Commanders. gently caress Mind Control, seriously. Yeah, Ethereals are much better at it, but by the time you start encountering them, you've likely got 6 Colonels/Majors loaded with Gene Mods, Psionics of their own, Titan/Ghost Armor, and Plasma weapons. For the first few missions you encounter the former, you aren't nearly as well-prepared to deal with getting MC'ed.

Doobeedoo
Oct 6, 2013

Trees and plants tend to grow on this Pokemon's back because it moves so little. It loves eating food while playing with tiny Pokemon.

Feinne posted:

The only right answer is the Douchedisk in the last mission of the arc Zhang's mission starts. If you've not done it, the fucker starts activated for some reason and will just pop through a door to invert someone's rear end in a top hat as the first sign of its existence.

Yeah. That rear end in a top hat's killed one of my troops almost every time I've done that mission. I never seem to expect it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Feinne posted:

Single most obnoxious enemy in the game by far.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

JT Jag posted:

Single most obnoxious enemy in the game by far.

Totally justifies a mimetic skin scout and beyond visual range sniping.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Speedball posted:

Practice. Plus, getting someone with either jumpy legs, or, in Bar-Lev's case, ROCKET BOOTS, lets you jump right to the top of the ship to cut two turns off the ordeal. That helps a LOT.

It's been a while, but i'm fairly sure that you can just walk up the bow of the ship where it's crashed into the pier? While not quite as good as ROCKET FEET, it'll still cut a turn off your trip, as well as a couple chryssalids.

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
Here's what I expect will be an out-there response for the poll: Muton Elites.

But not for their combat prowess, use of heavy weaponry, or lack of corpse utility, oh no.

It's because they, as an alien genus, can't make up their drat minds. Seriously, either be Mutons or be Sanghelli, don't waffle with bits of both.

On another note, I'd like to request that Speedball rein it in with describing the ancillary effects of Gene Mods, or at least leave that to Dr. Vahlen. SpeedballCOM is already a magical place where the women are women, the men are sometimes women, and the SHIVs are Groot, but we might, JUST might, be approaching the kind of creepy that earned me a visit from Lobsterman SWAT in days of yore.

also giver336 let drop some poo poo that sounds like he's about to go the way of Azure_Horizon, and I'd rather not lose TWO good LPers this week

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ceebees posted:

It's been a while, but i'm fairly sure that you can just walk up the bow of the ship where it's crashed into the pier? While not quite as good as ROCKET FEET, it'll still cut a turn off your trip, as well as a couple chryssalids.

You can, but there's a lot of sharp corners involved so the chrysalids have a much better chance of breaking through your force's overwatch and taking a dude or two out.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

My least favorite is zombies, because they're essentially tougher albiet slower chrysalids, and when they mature into a full chrysalid they also get a full heal.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

It's because they, as an alien genus, can't make up their drat minds.

It's not entirely their fault-They are the alien's favoured pets. They clearly like them, so they modify them as needed. See also 'Ur-Quan Green and Ur-Quan Black editions'. About the only thing they don't do is give them a mental backbone needed for Psi, for fear of the consequences. Otherwise we'd see nothing ELSE but Muton varieties even for stealth work(Hollywood would see an upsurge in action movies as a glut of new up-and-coming Schwarzeneggers show up. They do their own stunts, they don't complain, they seem to work cheap, and they don't do hard drugs or schmooze with the leading ladies. They're ideal). I can't blame them. Given the choice, I'd field little else too.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 30, 2014

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I just beat the game on normal mode for the first time today!

Even now that I've seen all the aliens, it's hard for me to pick out a worst one. In my attempts so far in classic mode, pretty much any alien can be horrible and scary when it first makes their appearance, if it's timed so I'm still a bit away from some tech or item that could help me deal with them. I'd actually lean towards mutons, since they often show up right after I get lasers or carapace armor and I start to think I'm going to be okay for a while, just to ruin my day and crit me in full cover all the time. But then again, even after mutons become old news, a chrysalid in the wrong place can still gently caress your poo poo up in ways nothing else can.

Yeah, I'll go with chrysalids. I loved this site recon mission so much. I thought I had a good handle on chrysalids, since I'd done really well on some terror missions that had a ton of them. And since this mission was themed around a chrysalid invasion specifically, I thought I'd be fine so long as I was careful cause I didn't even have to worry about cover, just keeping my distance and killing them dead.

It worked for a while, too. I kind of hosed myself over by throwing a battle scanner into the ship to see what the hell was in there, and triggering the whale event when I wasn't in a good position yet. But I did sit there for a long time successfully killing off chrysalid after chrysalid, thinking I'd wait till all those sharks were cleared out before I raised the signal, so at least I wouldn't have any more surprise extra guys popping out while I was trying to evac.

But once I started to actually go in to flip the switch, things started going wrong. I did wonder beforehand if I should try destroying those extra sharks to be safe, but if all those ones on the ship had popped by then and those last ones hanging around still hadn't, it was probably just to troll, they were probably fine...

I had just 3 of my squad of 6 escape in the end, and the whole time I felt like I was actually going to get a stomachache from how nervous I was. I'm really glad the first time I experienced it was on classic ironman, before I decided to get one full playthrough on normal.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
My most hated enemy was those loving walking rocket tanks.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I really don't like the Sectopods. Their defense and damage resistance makes them so annoying to take down.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Andy Waltfeld posted:

[...] approaching the kind of creepy that earned me a visit from Lobsterman SWAT in days of yore.

also giver336 let drop some poo poo that sounds like he's about to go the way of Azure_Horizon, and I'd rather not lose TWO good LPers this week

?

Anyway, as for least favourite enemies, Cyberdiscs and Sectopods seem the worst to deal with, honourable mention for Berserkers.

kwokkie
Jan 19, 2011

Being a dumbass is the best form of defence.
The thin men piss me off the most.
The moment you encounter them, you don't have the carapace armor yet. They have pretty high accuracy, and the odds are fairly high that they'll kill you in one hit in classic difficulty. When you take full cover with a smoke grenade on top to be safe, then they'll just cripple you with poison.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

I dunno what he's on about either. Azure outed himself as a rapist iirc (and tried to defend it) and I have no idea who the other person he's referring to is.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Andy Waltfeld posted:

On another note, I'd like to request that Speedball rein it in with describing the ancillary effects of Gene Mods, or at least leave that to Dr. Vahlen. SpeedballCOM is already a magical place where the women are women, the men are sometimes women, and the SHIVs are Groot, but we might, JUST might, be approaching the kind of creepy that earned me a visit from Lobsterman SWAT in days of yore.

I'm not seeing the creepy here. Which part are you specifically referring to?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Probably stuff like this?

Speedball posted:

If there’s seekers about, I hope your bioelectric powers come in handy, Leroy.
Oh, yes. They come in very handy.
:blush:

I think for the most part what Andy was getting at was saying not to overdo it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I'm voting for Mutons as my most hated alien. Not because they're a particular pain in the rear end - Cyberdisks or Sectopods are probably worse for that. Nor because they're particularly creepy or frightening - Chryssalids win out there. No, the reason I dislike Mutons is because when they show up, they mark the point in the campaign when you can no longer reliably one-shot most of what you come across even with better equipment, and this sets my nerves on edge to an irrational degree.

Damnit, they should stay down when I shoot them! Goddamn bullet sponges.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

EightDeer posted:

I'm not seeing the creepy here. Which part are you specifically referring to?

This is lobsterman SWAT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joCfccc1Wm0
(it also mentions the creepy that led to it)
E: I don't think this LP is even starting to approach anything like that.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 30, 2014

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Flesnolk posted:

I think for the most part what Andy was getting at was saying not to overdo it.
I was going to quote a line from the previous update as additional evidence, but it appears Speedball's redacted it, so... good on him, I suppose!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Site Recon isn't super difficult if you know what it is going in. Then it's just to remember to not bring pointless equipment (medkits, arc throwers, grenades) and bring useful poo poo (flashbangs, shotguns, punchy mecs or elerium jelly). I find the set piece-y, hit the switch, run away set up to be really fun and a really good change from the normal search and destroy, look for meld lay out of most missions.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

pun pundit posted:

E: I don't think this LP is even starting to approach anything like that.

Yeah, while I can see why stuff like this can get creepy fast, something Speedball will hopefully avoid, this feels like a pot and kettle situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SpookyLizard posted:

Site Recon isn't super difficult if you know what it is going in. Then it's just to remember to not bring pointless equipment (medkits, arc throwers, grenades) and bring useful poo poo (flashbangs, shotguns, punchy mecs or elerium jelly). I find the set piece-y, hit the switch, run away set up to be really fun and a really good change from the normal search and destroy, look for meld lay out of most missions.

Flashbangs work on chrysalids!?

I need to try this.

Next month, when we unlock extra equipment slots for everyone, we are totally trying out all the grenades. ALL the grenades.

Next update in a very short bit. It will feature General Van Doorn robbing a train.

EDIT: Also I've been torturing myself looking at playthroughs of Civilization Beyond Earth. "Build an Old Earth Relic, you morons!"

Speedball fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 30, 2014

• Locked thread