Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Unless you need that space immediately, I'd just go with it for a day or two and see if it sorts itself out. There's some weird indexing voodoo that takes place when you add a ton of music and the phone may clear it up for you over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

arbybaconator posted:

No, it's still bad. I have 25GB's of 'Other' on my phone, and my music syncing is all f'd up. I have had to restore 3 times.
Sounds like user error imho.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Sounds like user error imho.

indeed it does.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You're aware that your experiences are not universal and making universal statements about things that you're personally having problems with makes you sound like a child, right?

arbybaconator does not sound like a child in my opinion, so I'm literally shakeing that you said he universally DOES sound like a child. And now it appears you are the child.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 29, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Go argue about iTunes somewhere else.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Went to my carrier store yesterday to tinker with my plan and I was playfully harassed throughout the entire conversation about why I don't have a case on my phone and I should buy a case for my phone. Obviously she was trying to make a sale but literally everyone who sees my phone is bewildered by the fact that it is unprotected. What the gently caress is the point of giving a poo poo about a phone's design if you're going to slap an ugly piece of plastic on it? I loving hate how every reaction is "hey man you better put a case on that thing because I know better than you :smug:"

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

ShoogaSlim posted:

Went to my carrier store yesterday to tinker with my plan and I was playfully harassed throughout the entire conversation about why I don't have a case on my phone and I should buy a case for my phone. Obviously she was trying to make a sale but literally everyone who sees my phone is bewildered by the fact that it is unprotected. What the gently caress is the point of giving a poo poo about a phone's design if you're going to slap an ugly piece of plastic on it? I loving hate how every reaction is "hey man you better put a case on that thing because I know better than you :smug:"

My coworkers are doing the same. I take it out to check a notification and they're like "holy poo poo how do you not have a case on that yet??"

Because I don't want one.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I get that from everyone that sees my phone too. I'm kind of considering one for the 6 though. Not sure how this curved screen will hold up to a drop.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I'd lay odds they're not actually bewildered, just playing the guilt game.

I remember someone at a Verizon shop asking me, "so now how do you plan to protect your $750 phone?" with a heavy emphasis on $750 as if to make me scared.

I get a 25% discount on accessories there through my corporate discount and cases were still obscenely priced for what they were. The markup on that stuff has got to be huge.

On my team at work there are like 8 iPhone 6-havers and I'm the only one with a case (and mine is an $11 Spigen from Amazon).

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

I'd lay odds they're not actually bewildered, just playing the guilt game.

I remember someone at a Verizon shop asking me, "so now how do you plan to protect your $750 phone?" with a heavy emphasis on $750 as if to make me scared.

I get a 25% discount on accessories there through my corporate discount and cases were still obscenely priced for what they were. The markup on that stuff has got to be huge.

On my team at work there are like 8 iPhone 6-havers and I'm the only one with a case (and mine is an $11 Spigen from Amazon).

Accessory sales are where those stores make the bulk of their profits. The margin is close to 70% IIRC.

I also have an $11 Speigen case from Amazon just waiting for my 6+ to arrive and cuddle with.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I actually tried to go case less this time around and just rely on AppleCare. It would have worked out except the 6+ is really slippery and too thin to be comfortable for long term usage. The rich Corinthian leather on the Apple Edition Leather Case Designed by Jony Ive is amazing feeling so whatever.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

various cheeses posted:

I get that from everyone that sees my phone too. I'm kind of considering one for the 6 though. Not sure how this curved screen will hold up to a drop.

my s.o. accidentally dropped her 6 onto the sidewalk a few days ago. It dented up the outer edge pretty good, and took a little chunk of the upper right hand curve of the screen. It held up a little better than I expected, but it was really unfortunate as the apple store was sold out of cases when she purchased her unit and the Spigen she ordered online was set to deliver the next day.

I'm enjoying the leather case on my 6+. The device is much easier to grip.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I'm specifically referring to how Android handles the management of apps and notifications. As in there is almost no management what so ever. All apps can notify by default, and you have to dig into an obscure settings preference to disable them. You need to use third party apps if you want any customization to how the notifications are handled.

You can just long press any notification to turn it off on Android. It's not that hard. You can just go to the settings on any app and turn them off too.

I mean there's a lot wrong with Android but this is really not that bad. I actually prefer it to the messy chaos that is the iOS notification settings. Obviously this is personal preference but I would much prefer to have all app settings be within the app itself rather than on a separate app.

Officer Koala Fart
Feb 26, 2014

Gun Saliva
I'm having a hard time locating photos with my 6 (8.0.2). Specifically, photos saved from a website. For example, I want to save a Hubble deep field image as my wallpaper. I go to the site, find the picture, press on it and select "save photo", and see a message that says "your photo has been saved in your camera roll".

I go to the camera app, and can't find the drat picture. Not under "recently added", nowhere. Photos that I take with the camera show up fine, but images saved from a site are nowhere to be found. What am I overlooking here?

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Schmitty42 posted:

I'm having a hard time locating photos with my 6 (8.0.2). Specifically, photos saved from a website. For example, I want to save a Hubble deep field image as my wallpaper. I go to the site, find the picture, press on it and select "save photo", and see a message that says "your photo has been saved in your camera roll".

I go to the camera app, and can't find the drat picture. Not under "recently added", nowhere. Photos that I take with the camera show up fine, but images saved from a site are nowhere to be found. What am I overlooking here?

in iOS 8 - click on Albums, Recently Added. It should be there.

Officer Koala Fart
Feb 26, 2014

Gun Saliva

arbybaconator posted:

in iOS 8 - click on Albums, Recently Added. It should be there.
Thanks for the response, although I mentioned in my post that it doesn't show up under "recently added". In fact, the number of photos in that album does not increase if I save a photo from a website, only if I take a new picture. Odd.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Either your phone is hosed, or the application that is trying to save the photo is buggy. I just tried it in Safari and it worked fine, although it did not give a confirmation so maybe you are using a different app?

Officer Koala Fart
Feb 26, 2014

Gun Saliva
Thanks! That was what I needed. I found that it does not work if I start from a Google search, but if I start straight from Safari, it shows up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apps need permission to access Photos, which you may have hit cancel on without realizing (it's supposed to prompt you the first time an app tries) and could prevent Google Search from saving to Photos. You can at least double check if Google Search is listed under Settings > Privacy > Photos.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Promo code RMN20 on AT&T's online store is good for 20% off accessories, and it works on Apple cases. Gets you 9 bucks off a leather case.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

arbybaconator posted:

Quit being a troll.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

Promo code RMN20 on AT&T's online store is good for 20% off accessories, and it works on Apple cases. Gets you 9 bucks off a leather case.

Hmm, I can't find any Apple cases for the 6.

Just this leather one for the 5S, which is a pretty good deal even if people gave them bad reviews:

https://www.att.com/cases/apple-shell-case-iphone-5s.html#fbid=CiUgMRcX1G-sku=sku6880993

Edit: Oh, of course, I have to Google to find it: https://www.att.com/cases/apple-leather-case-iphone-6.html

smackfu fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 29, 2014

Officer Koala Fart
Feb 26, 2014

Gun Saliva

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Apps need permission to access Photos, which you may have hit cancel on without realizing (it's supposed to prompt you the first time an app tries) and could prevent Google Search from saving to Photos. You can at least double check if Google Search is listed under Settings > Privacy > Photos.

That did the trick; I had Google permissions turned off. Appreciate the help!

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
Hadn't read about it before but looks like 8.1 might have some big Maps update.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/29/apple-developing-ios-8-1-8-2-8-3-in-shift-for-2015-launches/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Also, apparently 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3 are showing up in traffic logs. It's pretty unusual for Apple to be testing so many major releases at once.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

spongeworthy posted:

Hadn't read about it before but looks like 8.1 might have some big Maps update.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/29/apple-developing-ios-8-1-8-2-8-3-in-shift-for-2015-launches/

They did buy all those transit apps and have done nothing with them yet.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Maybe 8.1, 8.2, and 8.3 in their alpha stages within Apple are doing different things. For example, .1 could be testing new Maps, while .2 could be testing a new Mobile Safari and Apple is running separate tests on them all before bundling them into one public 8.1.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
Would Apple Pay be a big enough addition to have an 8.1 release in October?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

nickutz posted:

Yes and no. Technically it's probably not that huge of an update, but the'll want the press behind it to be pretty large so I'm sure they'll make a big deal about it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

nickutz posted:

Probably not on its own, but it's likely that the Apple Pay update is also going to include Continuity to go along with the Yosemite release, and there are still rumors of new iPad features that Apple hasn't revealed yet.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
iOS 8.1 is on the dev portal now.

Like, I was replying to dude asking about 8.1 and it popped up. Ask about free Apple Watches.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Aren't there browser addons that let you spoof the OS version info? I want to start browsing from iOS 10.1 on my computer at work.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I love notifications on Android. They can be more prone to abuse by lovely apps which is something they really need to fix, but personally I think the Android system does a far better job of notifying me about stuff I want to see and handling responses.
Is this just a coincidence? I've never had an Android phone, so what about their notification system is better?

The default notification settings that apps install with in iOS work well for me. If something is too annoying, I just turn it off. Easy peasy.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Josh Lyman posted:

Is this just a coincidence? I've never had an Android phone, so what about their notification system is better?

The default notification settings that apps install with in iOS work well for me. If something is too annoying, I just turn it off. Easy peasy.

I have an Android tablet (got it for free) but with Cyanongen (not sure about stock) you can get notified of small processes. For example, imagine being shown a pop up of the App Store whenever you hit an App Store link, then deciding you want to buy it and then leaving that pop up to return to the app you're in. That alone is cool, but you can also get little notifications saying "x is done downloading!" etc. Outside of that, most notifications behave like widgets do in iOS now.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Android also has a "clear all notifications" button which is really nice. I really miss that, and having a "select all" button in the photos app.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

I have an Android tablet (got it for free) but with Cyanongen (not sure about stock) you can get notified of small processes. For example, imagine being shown a pop up of the App Store whenever you hit an App Store link, then deciding you want to buy it and then leaving that pop up to return to the app you're in. That alone is cool, but you can also get little notifications saying "x is done downloading!" etc. Outside of that, most notifications behave like widgets do in iOS now.

That sounds like absolute rear end.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Well, it's not. So :colbert:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Being able to tell your phone/tablet "open this app when I click this type of link/file" is fantastic, especially since you can make that the default behavior so you only have to do it once.

Like I said there's a lot (and I do mean a LOT) wrong with Android but they do get a few things right and this is definitely one of them.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It actually sounds fine / mildly nice quit being such an apologist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Yeah, it's kinda weird how Apple will outright deny apps for having poor UX, but when it comes to messing with files that aren't supported by default apps (or lack the abilities of 3rd party apps) it introduces a headache. For example, I can open a PDF in iBooks, but if I want to edit one easily, I have to pair the PDF with Dropbox and open it in some app. Or if I want to deal with a torrent, I straight up can't do poo poo. Even after the fact, where I have the torrent file, I can't do poo poo with it, but even if I could, I couldn't do any further poo poo like open the file in some app to handle that specific filetype.