Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

sounds like the toxic waste here is some seriously concentrated fail imo

santa clara county has the largest amount of superfund site area in the entire state from the old chip manufacturing

there's a big one downstream from where we moved to that i had to make sure we were outside of because that one sees elevated rates of the kinda cancer that killed futurewife's dad

but yeah most of it is right there on the bay, near moffett airfield

google main campus has some as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

rotor posted:

sounds like the toxic waste here is some seriously concentrated fail imo

it was toxic amounts of old aol floppies and rotting copies of netscape 4.7

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I'm getting fail readings of over 400 milliandreesens!!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

can't wait for google to cut out the middleman and just start trying to design their campus facilities themselves with their "engineering" staff

i mean what could go wrong

office thermostat war turns deadly

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

sure that's not just the wind from sand hill road?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
the new campus up here in kirkland wa is on an ex superfund site too. paint factory iirc. they just dug all the earth out and carted it somewhere :effort:

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the biggest problem in cities is sewage and garbage collection. we know how to solve those problems, and yet half the world's cities are in deplorable states

pro tip: software is not gonna fix it

bangalore is one of the worst examples of this. open loving sewer drains in over 3/4th of the city and the river is a gigantic sewage dump as well. 90% of the freshwater lakes are contaminated by sewage and/or chemical waste.

but hey the rich parts of the city have nice sewage systems so no one gives a gently caress

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

saucepanman posted:

bangalore is one of the worst examples of this. open loving sewer drains in over 3/4th of the city and the river is a gigantic sewage dump as well. 90% of the freshwater lakes are contaminated by sewage and/or chemical waste.

but hey the rich parts of the city have nice sewage systems so no one gives a gently caress

atlanta has open sewer inlets all over its downtown area

you can smell them from the sidewalk it's completely foul

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

atlanta has open sewer inlets all over its downtown area

you can smell them from the sidewalk it's completely foul

another reason for me to never go to atlanta

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

idk, all terminals are connected by a train so you don't have to mess with going past security for transfers even if you're changing airlines; you can do far worse

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

duTrieux. posted:

i had to drive through atlanta when going to florida to tennesee once. i cant tell you what it was actually like because there was a giant glowing red CNN sign in my face at all times

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have to go to atlanta for a work thing in october, I might stay a couple extra days because gently caress flying to the east coast for one night

where's the least terrible part of town?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

I have to go to atlanta for a work thing in october, I might stay a couple extra days because gently caress flying to the east coast for one night

where's the least terrible part of town?

buckhead

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

"That said, Facebook has been quite open about the fact that it is targeting Google’s DoubleClick display ad business with this move, which is interesting."

http://recode.net/2014/09/28/facebook-will-facebook-data-to-sell-ads-on-sites-that-arent-facebook/

facebook is on the frontline in the war to destroy google.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

"The most tantalizing notion I’ve heard this week is that Facebook has talked to Twitter about joining up, and that the idea remains a possibility."

acquire twitter zuck

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

"That said, Facebook has been quite open about the fact that it is targeting Google’s DoubleClick display ad business with this move, which is interesting."

http://recode.net/2014/09/28/facebook-will-facebook-data-to-sell-ads-on-sites-that-arent-facebook/

facebook is on the frontline in the war to destroy google.

lol you're so mad about google owning you

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

rotor posted:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

oi i'll glass ya oval office

BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug
watch out i'm gonna have glass

*farrrrrtttttttt*

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

Forums Terrorist posted:

oi i'll glass ya oval office

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

has google officially abandoned this or what?

they haven't said anythign about it for a while now, and nobody at google seems to use theirs, so...

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

well one of the guys in charge did od on his yacht

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

they haven't said anythign about it for a while now, and nobody at google seems to use theirs, so...

i generally see one or two people in google shirts/bags wearing them at the farmers market on sundays

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

duTrieux. posted:

they haven't abandoned glass like they haven't abandoned plus

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

they abandoned glass when they decided to halt further development of the project and put out the current glass product. the whole explorer waiting list and super high prices were for recouping costs, and enticing status obsessed nerds to pay that high cost.

pagoe
Feb 19, 2013
I'd be more ok with getting ads based on my Facebook profile instead of google searches but I use Adblock anyway. I do kind of want ads that I might actually be interested in but it's all just annoying bullshit atm

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/For-Google-shuttle-drivers-it-s-a-grueling-ride-5785556.php?cmpid=twitter

scroogled again

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

glass SV, with atomic weapons

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

they abandoned glass when they decided to halt further development of the project and put out the current glass product. the whole explorer waiting list and super high prices were for recouping costs, and enticing status obsessed nerds to pay that high cost.

they were hoping someone outside google could find a use case for the damned thing

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

textbook example of how any american company, regardless of pr or reputation, will inevitably treat any employee that they consider expendable

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Progressive JPEG posted:

textbook example of how any american company, regardless of pr or reputation, will inevitably treat any employee that they consider expendable

remember that engineers @ google were complaining publicly that the chef sergey and larry hired as like employee #20 made more on his stock options than they did, because even if they were hired a decade later, they're engineers and he's a cook and should be compensated accordingly

also this exact same thing happened with facebook and the guy who painted a mural on their wall when they were getting started

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

duTrieux. posted:

i saw a number of them at the maker faire last may, and the exploratorium holds these adults only nights where you can go there after hours and play with all the exhibits absent children screaming, and they serve wine and stuff (it's a great time) and google had a booth at one of those letting people try them on.

other than that i have literally never seen one in use in person.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's kinda like the sort of people glass appeals to don't go out of their houses

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Sagebrush posted:

remember that engineers @ google were complaining publicly that the chef sergey and larry hired as like employee #20 made more on his stock options than they did, because even if they were hired a decade later, they're engineers and he's a cook and should be compensated accordingly

i think you're getting engineers at google mixed up with management at zynga

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
haha that valueble zynga stock
had one successful product that wasn't actually good or creative
vanilla ice companies

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

they're engineers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

i saw a number of them at the maker faire last may, and the exploratorium holds these adults only nights where you can go there after hours and play with all the exhibits absent children screaming, and they serve wine and stuff (it's a great time) and google had a booth at one of those letting people try them on.

other than that i have literally never seen one in use in person.

whenever i see one (which is often on the weekends) i always, always hafta fight down the urge to just slap it off of their face

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

theflyingexecutive posted:

well one of the guys in charge did od on his yacht

what happened with this, anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Hello thread I'm posting here to complain about how it's now basically impossible to view a custom Google Map on a mobile device. There used to be a "My Maps" tab in the official Maps app, but they removed it and now you have to download a separate "My Maps" app. This wouldn't be horrible, but My Maps is a totally broken mess - all of the map pins are pixelated, if you zoom in or out none of the pins resize correctly, and a lot of pins are totally invisible unless you zoom in just right.

• Locked thread