Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Did they ever finish the invasion uncommon CIPT land cycle like coastal tower, urborg volcano, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Molybdenum posted:

Did they ever finish the invasion uncommon CIPT land cycle like coastal tower, urborg volcano, etc?

I don't think so but given that they're weaker than straight up commons in KTK I doubt they ever will.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Jabor posted:

I'm pretty sure the price will drop a little once people figure out that 4 Sarkhan 0 Stormbreath Dragon isn't the optimal card distribution.
I've been running a 1:1 split in non-control decks. Sarkhan is better if you need to use it as a 5 mana kill spell that also saves you some life if they attack it.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Kraus posted:

So glad I got Swiftspears for a quarter apiece.

I am happy I opened a playset of misprints of this card. I think the printers hosed up a couple sheets on these so my prints are more Orange than Red.

I ended up with a few Blue cards that were more Teal as well.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think so but given that they're weaker than straight up commons in KTK I doubt they ever will.

Some of them have setting specific names and we have a cycle of near-functional reprints (the Gates) at common alongside the nu-refuges. For taplands to be worth printing these days, they need some additional minor effect (such as the gate subtype or the nu-refuges' lifegain) to merit printing. If the cycle is ever completed, the setting specific ones (Urborg Volcano, Shivan Oasis, Elfhame Place) will get replaced and they will be downgraded to common.

Of the 3, the nu-refuges seem the best poised to serve as an evergreen common land cycle. They all have setting-independant names and feel perfect in the role of a common fixer for limited/budget decks. I'm honestly not sure they could print better duals at common.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Angry Grimace posted:

The only format where Recall is legal has restricted cards. When I say "cost" I'm referring to the casting cost.

It's because people legitimately believe card advantage is an actual rule of deck construction as opposed to a generic principle.

I just kind of glazed over the "cost" part because I was stunned with incredulity over anyone wanting another draw spell over Recall. You're right. If Dig were 1 mana, I'd rather have it over Recall.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Effort post for the new OP:

So you want to get in to magic

Perhaps you have a few buddies who play magic and showed you the the rules over a few practice games. Perhaps you tried a demo of the latest Duels of the Planeswalkers and want to learn more. Perhaps you have a fifty burning a hole in your pocket. How do you actually get in to (paper) magic?

There are numerous ways, and they will likely depend on what aspect of the game you enjoy most. Since you probably don't know what part that is yet, before dropping money on anything big I recommend cheaply sampling several different events and seeing what fits your style and what you found to be the most fun. Also I believe having, making, or joining a group of like minded friends is the key to getting the most out of the game. It's really important. Having people to bounce deck ideas off of, borrow cards from, generally play and bullshit around with, is definitely where it's at. You can get burned out on decks, formats, travelling to events, et cetera, but having a group to fall back on and enjoy your hobby with is a huge deal that can't be overstated.

If it's the right time of year when a set is about to be released, the absolute best 'new player' experience is a prerelease event. Everyone will be having a good time enjoying the sweet new cards and it is the most casual, most newbie friendly event there is. Try out stores in your area and see if you like their vibe. They are limited events so you don't need to have a collection at all to play.

If you're not going to play at an FLGS (friendly local game store) grab some premade products: 'intro decks' which are released with each set and showcase the mechanics of that set, or some 'duel decks' which come out twice a year and feature two balanced opposing decks, premade commander decks which is a fun casual format. Play at home or whatever with your buddies and enjoy.

For in-store play, next I recommend doing limited events. Again because they don't require any pre-purchases. The downside to them is there is a fairly deep learning curve so you are unlikely to win often from the get go. But, as a new player they have many benefits:
- They force you to exercise the widest array of mental muscles (drafting decks, deckbuilding, and gameplay) so you will likely learn and improve quickly
- They are good value: They cost the price of a movie ticket and last a whole evening
- You can build a collection organically over time from the cards you take and open
- They present the one opportunity to play with almost every card in the set, whereas for constructed a very small minority of cards are viable and the rest are immediately ignored.
- Also limited is the most fun you can have at magic IMO : )
- Ask here or in the limited thread for help or resources on improving your limited game.

Next, try out constructed events. Constructed presents an opportunity to spend almost unlimited amounts of money so hopefully you have a handle on what you want to be doing before dropping the big bucks. There are several ways to cheaply get into constructed magic:
- Start with standard. It has the most recent cards, cheapest overall cost, and is the most popular format so you should have no trouble finding events.
- Unfortunately the format rotates so over a long timeframe it is actually the most expensive format as you have to keep on the treadmill. Also you may need key cards for a deck that are about to rotate out and a) become useless since they're no longer legal b) lose a lot of value due to a.
- Either decide on a deck, perhaps borrowing a friend's to play for an event or two, or start with a cheap premade deck.
- Cheap premade decks come from 'event deck' or 'clash pack' products, which are premade semi-competitive decks that are designed to be easy to augment.
- For super casual play, you can buy the 'deck builder's toolkit' which will have a bunch of cards and you can practice putting your own deck together.

If you want to seriously play constructed you can then
- Pick your deck, then buy the specific cards for that deck
- NEVER OPEN PACKS HOPING TO FIND THE CARDS YOU NEED! The odds are just not there.
- Buy cards from your FLGS if you want to support your local magic community
- Otherwise buy them cheaply online if you can wait for shipping
- Avoid taking a good deck then subbing out the expensive cards with cheaper alternatives. This is usually a frustrating an unsuccessful strategy. Instead select an alternative cheaper deck that is perhaps off the radar and make the best version of it you can.

Other money saving tips:
- Don't buy brand new cards unless you intend to play with them immediately. Wait for the world to bust millions of packs for you and let supply match demand.
- Try not to change your mind too much about decks, as you will eat the retail to buylist spread every time you cash your cards in for other ones. Also playing the same deck for months and being really good with it means you will generally outplay opponents with 'better' decks who are new to them.
- Be mindful of rotation
- Buy a box for $80 - $100 and run your own limited event with your friends. It's easy and cheap.

TL;DR: Play with friends, do what is fun for you, don't take it too seriously at first, don't drop a tonne of money at first.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm really torn on whether now is a good time to invest in cards or a completely terrible time to invest in cards given that we have no clue what's going to be played at the Pro Tour (which is far more likely to show us what Standard looks like than random SCG events).

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Don't buy random loose packs either. Box mapping is a thing.

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm really torn on whether now is a good time to invest in cards or a completely terrible time to invest in cards given that we have no clue what's going to be played at the Pro Tour (which is far more likely to show us what Standard looks like than random SCG events).
The odds of the Pro Tour inventing some completely new archtype are low. Possible but still low. When Theros hit all the decks that ran a little bit under the radar were known by online testers(Mono Black and Blue Devotion.)

I've been toying with the 7 drop Resolute Archangel in white decks as a way to instantly get back up to 20 hp with how painful the early game is. It's one card that I could see pros taking notice of that others haven't.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

When should I sell my 4 Glittering Wish? I'm pretty sure this new Modern Jeskai Ascendancy deck is the real deal, and the banlist won't be updated until December 20.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Korak posted:

Don't buy random loose packs either. Box mapping is a thing.
The odds of the Pro Tour inventing some completely new archtype are low. Possible but still low. When Theros hit all the decks that ran a little bit under the radar were known by online testers(Mono Black and Blue Devotion.)

I've been toying with the 7 drop Resolute Archangel in white decks as a way to instantly get back up to 20 hp with how painful the early game is. It's one card that I could see pros taking notice of that others haven't.

"Known by online testers" isn't what drives card prices, its results in tournaments. In that sense, yes, Pro Tour Theros DID invent Mono-Blue and Mono-Black.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
So it's been confirmed that they haven't fixed Box Mapping?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
^^^^ they never did they just banned discussion of it on mtgsalvation so it is hard to accrue enough data if you're not a big store. Once people realized the pack art pattern to reverse the intrabox reordering it got way easier too.

Magic: the Gathering Financial Speculation Megathread: Glittering Rich

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 29, 2014

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

When should I sell my 4 Glittering Wish? I'm pretty sure this new Modern Jeskai Ascendancy deck is the real deal, and the banlist won't be updated until December 20.

If you are sure its the real deal hold them. What do you think the odds are an obscure card like that is due for a reprint anytime soon?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

jassi007 posted:

If you are sure its the real deal hold them. What do you think the odds are an obscure card like that is due for a reprint anytime soon?

If it really takes off AND they don't ban it/ban out the decks that use it, I'm sure it'll be reprinted at some point.

Of course, given the degree of nimbleness they possess w/r/t reprint schedules, it'll be something like Modern Masters 7. :v:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Angry Grimace posted:

"Known by online testers" isn't what drives card prices, its results in tournaments. In that sense, yes, Pro Tour Theros DID invent Mono-Blue and Mono-Black.
What I'm saying is, the main decks are out there already. There's gonna be tweaking but for the most part we could make a fairly accurate top 40 theros-m15-khans cards that will/have spiked in the next few weeks.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

If it really takes off AND they don't ban it/ban out the decks that use it, I'm sure it'll be reprinted at some point.

Of course, given the degree of nimbleness they possess w/r/t reprint schedules, it'll be something like Modern Masters 7. :v:

It's a turn 2-3 combo, it will get banned within 6 months if the deck's any good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Korak posted:

What I'm saying is, the main decks are out there already. There's gonna be tweaking but for the most part we could make a fairly accurate top 40 theros-m15-khans cards that will/have spiked in the next few weeks.

I think you are overestimating the card evaluation skills of the Magic playing community at large.

The fact that "the deck" that's going to be dominant in Standard exists on the internet somewhere doesn't mean you can or should be able to accurately predict as such. There's a reason Master of Waves went over $25 on the second weekend in October vs. any time before that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

I think you are overestimating the card evaluation skills of the Magic playing community at large.

The fact that "the deck" that's going to be dominant in Standard exists on the internet somewhere doesn't mean you can or should be able to accurately predict as such. There's a reason Master of Waves went over $25 on the second weekend in October vs. any time before that.

I like Master so much I almost want to buy a few copies, even though I have no interest in playing any form of constructed. $5 just seems cheap given he's mythic.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Angry Grimace posted:

You said you're torn whether to buy now or later. I'm telling you to figure out what strategies you personally like playing and buy now. The mainboardable cards are definitely known outside of some tweaking of numbers.

There's no overestimating card evaluation when we've had a few tournaments and 2+ weeks of testing proving what works in a vacuum.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
I'm a bit lost here - Why would glittering wish be banned/spike in price?

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
There is a jeskai ascendancy combo deck in modern now, that's why wish spiked. If it's too good they will probably just ban ascendancy, not wish

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
Hey Magic thread, long time no see! I mostly do poker videos nowadays, but I still play cube, and recorded a cube draft here. I have a few more to add in the near future, so feel free to keep an eye on my channel for more.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It won't be too good. If it gets popular, the meta will shift and people will add hate over time.

It's definitely a fun deck though whoo boy.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Jenx posted:

I'm a bit lost here - Why would glittering wish be banned/spike in price?

Turn 2/3 Jeskai Ascendancy combo deck. If that becomes a valid deck, something will get banned. They don't let combos exist that routinely kill before Turn 4.

Korak posted:

You said you're torn whether to buy now or later. I'm telling you to figure out what strategies you personally like playing and buy now. The mainboardable cards are definitely known outside of some tweaking of numbers.

There's no overestimating card evaluation when we've had a few tournaments and 2+ weeks of testing proving what works in a vacuum.

You say that now, but watch when Wingmate Roc is $20 in 2 weeks. :v:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

Turn 2/3 Jeskai Ascendancy combo deck. If that becomes a valid deck, something will get banned. They don't let combos exist that routinely kill before Turn 4.

Which is retarded. They need to just print better answers and force people to interact before turn 4!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

L0cke17 posted:

Which is retarded. They need to just print better answers and force people to interact before turn 4!

That's called "power creep."

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

Except it's hard to see how that happens when they've been making a concerted effort to move the game away from the kinds of "better answers" that actually allow you to disrupt fast combo. Ultra cheap removal is going away, they've essentially said Counterspell (or free situational counters) are too good for Modern, and you don't have to look any farther than this thread's comments about Thoughtseize to see how people respond when efficient discard is printed. Modern is a hothouse flower that needs constant attention, and that isn't likely to change any time in the near future.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It won't be too good. If it gets popular, the meta will shift and people will add hate over time.

It's definitely a fun deck though whoo boy.
It can be "too good" to WOTC that want modern to be a turn 4 win or later format. Currently the only other deck that inconsistently can turn 2-3 win is the Reanimator deck. quick edit: Ad Nauseam can turn 3 occasionally.

There's a hilarious narset deck out that can turn 1 win but it's inconsistent enough that I wouldn't worry about it outside of 2-mans.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Korak posted:

It can be "too good" to WOTC that want modern to be a turn 4 win or later format. Currently the only other deck that inconsistently can turn 2-3 win is the Reanimator deck. quick edit: Ad Nauseam can turn 3 occasionally.

There's a hilarious narset deck out that can turn 1 win but it's inconsistent enough that I wouldn't worry about it outside of 2-mans.

I believe Finkel said he could go off with storm on Turn 3 about 20% of the time as well, but that's not exactly the definition of consistent.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Cernunnos posted:

So it's been confirmed that they haven't fixed Box Mapping?

I thought part of the reason behind new card frames was machine readability. Which I'd assume is part of a general manufacturing revamp.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Infect is about the same. Decks with possible wins on Turn 3 are all over the place in Modern but are held down by the lack of consistency they have. If this Jeskai deck ends up being way too consistent about T3 wins the Ascendancy might end up banned.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

OssiansFolly posted:

I am happy I opened a playset of misprints of this card. I think the printers hosed up a couple sheets on these so my prints are more Orange than Red.

I ended up with a few Blue cards that were more Teal as well.

I was heavily considering buying a few foil playsets for legacy burn.

Now I regret I didn't :eng99:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

That's called "power creep."

Its not exactly power creep, the answers are there in the game, just not in the format. Like Daze, Stifle, Wasteland, Force of Will.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I don't think it's the real deal, it's just way too vulnerable to thoughtseize and abrupt decay, plus if it does become a thing people will replace their artifact hate with artifact/enchantment hate, and that will be it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

L0cke17 posted:

Its not exactly power creep, the answers are there in the game, just not in the format. Like Daze, Stifle, Wasteland, Force of Will.

You're confused if you actually believe Modern players want Daze, Stifle, Wasteland and Force of Will in the format.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

L0cke17 posted:

It's still power creep for the format. And if your solution is to just add all the legacy staples to modern, why even bother having separate formats?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's still power creep for the format. And if your solution is to just add all the legacy staples to modern, why even bother having separate formats?

Reserve list. Legacy is all the things you can't have because of the reserve list, modern is everything else.

Angry Grimace posted:

You're confused if you actually believe Modern players want Daze, Stifle, Wasteland and Force of Will in the format.

I would play Modern if they existed in it. As it is, all the fun cards are banned and everything left is boring.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

L0cke17 posted:

Reserve list. Legacy is all the things you can't have because of the reserve list, modern is everything else.

I would play Modern if they existed in it. As it is, all the fun cards are banned and everything left is boring.

:psyduck: You are literally completely missing the point of Modern as a format.

Just go play Legacy and pretend like Modern doesn't exist or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Well, it's not untrue that if the :siren:RESERVE LIST:siren: (and/or other forces working against the supply of Legacy cards) didn't exist, then the pressure for a format like Modern to exist would have been much less, because everyone could just play Legacy for the same sort of "not Standard, and not a lovely format like Extended became" fix.

But yeah. As it's shaken out, Legacy and Modern have their own distinct identities. It's silly to complain that one isn't the other.

• Locked thread