Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

is it possible for itunes to not double all the music files?

Anything you put into the "Automatically add to iTunes" folder gets moved into iTunes instead of copied, so you can try that. I've never dumped a shitload into it at once though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I've decided I want to keep a local copy of my giant music collection, just in case. Right now I have everything on the Match cloud. I set iTunes to download everything last night. Its certainly doing that, but I've noticed I'm getting a random mix of mp3 and m4a. Why would it do that, and how can I get them all as mp3? I'm not seeing the option in preferences or anything. I'm on the current windows version, if it matters.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Anything you put in match gets converted to m4a, so anything you download later will be in m4a. I'm guessing any mp3s you are seeing are songs that you already had locally. There is no option to get mp3s out of match, since it attempts to just match your music to the copies of stuff they have available in the iTunes store, which is all m4a.

edit: actually if it fails to match the song to an iTunes store version it will upload whatever format you have, so in that case some of your songs could be downloaded as mp3s.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 9, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Apple's annual iPhone event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

OHhh, iTunes 11.4 just popped up for me. I wonder what terrible features it will introduce, or is it just iOS 8 support.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
You'll have to wait for 12.0 to get your terrible features.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

So for you podcast enthusiasts who had iTunes on Windows crash relentlessly (esp. on startup) after 11.3 --

On the library/podcasts screen, click settings button, then change refresh from default (every hour) to 'manually'. All my crashes went away. Win 8.1 x64.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
As of 11.4 it only works in safe mode for me, but I'll try that podcast setting.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I really want to delete the new U2 album from my iTunes but it hasn't shown up for me yet. Am I spared or will it appear when I least expect it?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

tankadillo posted:

I really want to delete the new U2 album from my iTunes but it hasn't shown up for me yet. Am I spared or will it appear when I least expect it?

It's already in your purchased itunes account. It merely hasn't downloaded.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Riso posted:

It's already in your purchased itunes account. It merely hasn't downloaded.

The store says that it's "purchased" for me, but it's nowhere in my library, and I have no new downloads. Even if I wanted to download it, I'm not sure how I would do it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

tankadillo posted:

The store says that it's "purchased" for me, but it's nowhere in my library, and I have no new downloads. Even if I wanted to download it, I'm not sure how I would do it.

Go to the iTunes store page >> My Purchases >> download it

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Molten Llama posted:

You'll have to wait for 12.0 to get your terrible features.

I'm pretty happy with 12, they seem to have made it easier to find some of the stuff they've been hiding in recent releases, and they made the podcast section much easier to use (they finally let you organize the podcast view in alpha order which makes it useable for me finally).

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 13, 2014

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Riso posted:

As of 11.4 it only works in safe mode for me, but I'll try that podcast setting.

Good luck, I hope it works!

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
That didn't work, but turning off "Showing Itunes in cloud purchases" did!

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Jeherrin posted:

Are we talking about iTunes 12, in the public beta, here? Because it looks like they've axed the view options to sort albums (in the cover/album view) by artist > year, meaning that half of my artists are showing up with the albums all out of release order, in spite of the fact that they all have years assigned to them if I hit 'get info'.

I hope they put it back. Seems like a genuinely obtuse thing to do.

Bumping this again from the last page, but sub-sorting in albums view is back in the current 12.0 beta. Still not sure why it disappeared in the last version but I guess they were planning on getting rid of the "view options" thing anyways so maybe thats why.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

astr0man posted:

Bumping this again from the last page, but sub-sorting in albums view is back in the current 12.0 beta. Still not sure why it disappeared in the last version but I guess they were planning on getting rid of the "view options" thing anyways so maybe thats why.

As the biggest iTunes sperg, I am relieved.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/apple-puts-up-support-page-to-get-u2-album-out-of-your-itunes/

Lots of people don't like U2, who would have thought...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

How are people getting that album? I don't want it, but I keep checking to see if it made it into my library, as I keep seeing people talking about it. I don't see it in my purchases, or anywhere in my library. The article also says it doesn't download automatically, so I'm confused on how people are getting this album.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Go to Itunes Store > Purchased, then click the cloud/download all button.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

IUG posted:

How are people getting that album? I don't want it, but I keep checking to see if it made it into my library, as I keep seeing people talking about it. I don't see it in my purchases, or anywhere in my library. The article also says it doesn't download automatically, so I'm confused on how people are getting this album.

I had the same issue until I signed out of the iTunes Store and signed back in. I'm not sure why that fixed it, but it immediately showed up on all my devices as soon as I signed out and back in on one of them.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Never log out or look at the purchased list in the iTunes store, got it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You can also permanently delete it from your account by going to: http://itunes.com/soi-remove

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
This is a very specific request, but does anyone know of a way to get a bandcamp purchased CD downloaded onto an iPhone...without connecting to a PC? My computer is pulling the 'can't recognize contents' poo poo and I'm drawing a blank on how to get half my music library onto my phone. Home Sharing doesn't seem to do it, but would iTunes Match? Is that a streaming service or can I actually download the stuff?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

This is a very specific request, but does anyone know of a way to get a bandcamp purchased CD downloaded onto an iPhone...without connecting to a PC? My computer is pulling the 'can't recognize contents' poo poo and I'm drawing a blank on how to get half my music library onto my phone. Home Sharing doesn't seem to do it, but would iTunes Match? Is that a streaming service or can I actually download the stuff?

iTunes Match is what you want. You can stream or download the music to your iOS devices.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Band Camp also has an iOS app that allows you to stream and download iirc.

Wouldn't work with the stock music app, but the option is there.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I have two issues which make me regret upgrading to iOS8, as this has been happening since the upgrade.

1) My plays are incorrect. Like, if I have a blank song and play it once, when I sync it'll add 1 to the total. If I play the song again, it shows as having three plays when I sync. If I play the song a third time, it shows six plays. If I reset plays, and play the song again on my phone, on sync, it says four. What the? I don't know if this is an iTunes thing, as I had updated to the latest version before the iOS8 change and never had that problem.

2) I get this more often than not when syncing, a "The iphone "Dennis Eckersly's I-Phone cannot be synched". An unknown error occured (-54)" when trying to connect". It does actually sync but that error shouldn't be there.

Any ideas on how to fix those issues?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Any solution for songs stuck in 'Waiting' status with iTunes Match? I'm running 11.4 under 10.9.5, nothing weird. I didn't just stop working at some point, I have random albums stuck in 'Waiting' between others that I added after that were processed successfully. Google has nothing I haven't already tried (including the convert to AAC trick). This is affecting production.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dennis Eckersley posted:

I have two issues which make me regret upgrading to iOS8, as this has been happening since the upgrade.

1) My plays are incorrect. Like, if I have a blank song and play it once, when I sync it'll add 1 to the total. If I play the song again, it shows as having three plays when I sync. If I play the song a third time, it shows six plays. If I reset plays, and play the song again on my phone, on sync, it says four. What the? I don't know if this is an iTunes thing, as I had updated to the latest version before the iOS8 change and never had that problem.

gently caress, I seem to have this issue, Everything I listened to today is marked as listened to twice. And this includes the video I watched today from the Video app. This is from my iPhone 6.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

astr0man posted:

You can also permanently delete it from your account by going to: http://itunes.com/soi-remove

Which doesn't appear to entirely work. I did that a couple of weeks ago but I check "Recent Purchases" on my phone yesterday to play something else and there's U2 everywhere.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

IUG posted:

gently caress, I seem to have this issue, Everything I listened to today is marked as listened to twice. And this includes the video I watched today from the Video app. This is from my iPhone 6.

I think I had posted about this issue in the past but it had been fixed. It was an iTunes issue before, but now I'm thinking it's on the device. It's like it's storing the number of times something is played separate from the actual play count, but not clearing that number out every time a sync is performed.

I'm finding I have to switch to manually manage my stuff, delete the stuff that's been played in between syncs, then un-checking the manually manage box to get the deleted items back on my phone.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I just tried yesterday with my iPod Classic, and those play counts only counted as one. I wonder if taking all the media off and resyncing will do anything, or turning off Wifi sync.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

IUG posted:

Yeah, I just tried yesterday with my iPod Classic, and those play counts only counted as one. I wonder if taking all the media off and resyncing will do anything, or turning off Wifi sync.

I can check to see if it re-enabled itself somehow as I turned it off.

EDIT: I had restored my phone when I saw that issue, cleared out all the media and synced it all back on after the restore. Didn't work. My Wifi sync is off too. On top of that, I also updated to iOS 8.0.2, and it didn't fix the issue.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 27, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

In the last few days I had to entirely wipe the iPhone because I was trying to be a little too aggressive with the phone. I ended up restoring the phone, restoring from a backup, and then resyncing the media. I just tried some music, and it only counted as one play.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Look at this poo poo. 25GB/128GB

Goddamit Apple

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You have 47.77 GB free though.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

withak posted:

You have 47.77 GB free though.

Not enough room for my music. THANKS OTHER

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

arbybaconator posted:

Look at this poo poo. 25GB/128GB

Goddamit Apple
I know this isn't the iOS thread but you should check out Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage and see if anything sticks out there.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I know this isn't the iOS thread but you should check out Settings>General>Usage>Manage Storage and see if anything sticks out there.

Nah, nothing. I'm going to try another restore and see what happens. The 25gb appeared overnight. Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

arbybaconator posted:

Nah, nothing. I'm going to try another restore and see what happens. The 25gb appeared overnight. Strange.
If you restore from a bugged/corrupted backup then the new version is still going to be bugged. Might be a good idea to try setting it up as a new phone and then using iCloud sync to get most of your remaining stuff over.