Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
gone home was good up until i realized i would never see the sister scissor it out with that goth bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

John Romero posted:

gone home was good up until i realized i would never see the sister scissor it out with that goth bitch
at least someone is being honest now and not using Gone Home hate to pontificate about how it's not a game

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I liked finding all the little hidden things in Gone Home. The story ties together so much better when you actually investigate ALL the little plot threads instead of trying to speed run it.

Honestly, the best part of the game wasn't the main story at all. It was the side story of the father and piecing all of that together. Since you only learn his story through investigation, never dialog, I found it vastly more rewarding.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Laputanmachine posted:

I pick on Gone Home because it has no content aside from a little story that serves as a framing device for lounging around an empty house for an hour or two. The story could have been better than the combined works of Dostoyevsky and it still wouldn't have changed the fact that as a game it was weak and definitely not worth 20 bucks. As a novel or a short story, maybe. But not as a game. For what it's worth, I got Gone Home as a gift, so no buyer's remorse for me.

This whole interactive storytelling wankery smells a bit like the interactive multimedia buzz of the early 90s and the tripe the industry tried to push as games was utter poo poo back then too. Don't try to pull chauvinism as an excuse why people pick on these games.

If you feel that strongly about Gone Home, I'd hate to see your reaction to The 39 Steps. Gorgeous art, wonderful voice acting, compelling and unique story and almost no interaction whatsoever.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Tezzeract posted:

Isn't subtext more relevant when there is an message that cannot be said - the banned books/banned films context. A lot of the stuff Zizek pointed out about subtext in the movies were interesting because there were things you couldn't say because of film censorship or authoritarian censorship.

Basically it's something that's meant to be missed by most readers unless you have a cipher. Kinda how like playing KOTOR 2 with Scorchy's LP made the story much more nuanced and interesting.
It can be that, but it doesn't have to be. Sometimes works (films, books, games etc) use subtext simply because expressing certain ideas explicitly can be very rote or tedious. Allegories, metaphors, etc are ways of providing a different perspective on an idea or making it more palatable. There are also cases where subtext exists unwittingly, where the way the author depicts certain characters or situations betrays certain assumptions about people/the world/ whatever.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

If you feel that strongly about Gone Home, I'd hate to see your reaction to The 39 Steps. Gorgeous art, wonderful voice acting, compelling and unique story and almost no interaction whatsoever.

I love how that game tells its story.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The 39 Steps is so drat good. It's also an interesting case because it avoids being labeled a game, and because of that seems to inspire more discussion on its nature rather than argument.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Phoenix Wright trilogy needs to get on Steam so that people can experience true down to earth storytelling about a humble American lawyer solving mysteries in court with his American burger-loving assistant

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Quest For Glory II posted:

Phoenix Wright trilogy needs to get on Steam so that people can experience true down to earth storytelling about a humble American lawyer solving mysteries in court with his American burger-loving assistant

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The next game takes place in ancient Japan, where Phoenix's ancestor teams up with Sherlock Holmes and an 18 year old girl Watson. I can't wait to see what their localization team pulls with that one.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Whoa a couple of actual games snuck into the weeklong deals this week:

Crysis 2 Maximum Edition - $5.99
Dragon Age: Origins - $4.99
Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves - $1.49
Jack Orlando: Director's Cut (a cinematic masterpiece) - $0.74
Obscure - $4.68
Marc Ecko's Getting Up - $3.74

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=weeklongdeals#sort_by=_ASC&sort_order=ASC&filter=weeklongdeals&page=1

Buy Jack Orlando unless you are poo poo scared of your own shadow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3LJlxnxFYA

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I actually liked 39 Steps exactly because it had minimal interaction. It meant I could focus on enjoying the story instead of having to hunt down the next bit of text. That's the problem with these interactive stories: the game content is light at best and at worst it frustrates the player since there is nothing else to do than clicking everything until you get a new voice clip. It's like reading a book where all the pages are glued together and you have to find the right spot where you can turn the next page.

Paring down the interaction and making the whole experience just a fancy book works best IMO. I'd actually want to see more from the 39 Steps devs. Just get on translating all literary classics to this format. Maybe people would then introduce themselves to Tolstoy, Camus, Vonnegut and other authors definitely worth reading.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Mother Night would probably make an excellent game in the style of Papers Please

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Phoenix Wright is one of the series I was thinking about in my post earlier.

And I'd loving love a port of Okami.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Oh man, I love Dead Space 2 :stonklol:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Help I can't stop screaming :(

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Morter posted:

Oh man, I love Dead Space 2 :stonklol:

Fail at that bit 10 times in a row and it becomes a lot funnier.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

duckfarts posted:

It's a pretty good art game for Ihopeyoupaidlessthan5bux, I thought it delivered its theme pretty well.
As an extra in a Humble Bundle I paid the exact right price for about a half hour of weird walky business. Ironically I'd been putting off playing it because I had no idea what it was and I was trying to finish Skyrim and didn't want to get too involved in another game.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'll confess, XCOM the Bureau is kinda cool if you turn it on Easy because it means you can mostly ignore your squad once you've ordered them to a location and just take aliens out yourself (also you can blow up an alien airship by shooting at it with a pistol a few times). I love the art direction too, roaming around 50s America that's gone all to hosed

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Super Win the Game comes out this week. The original was a fun, freeware game that hit on the "where do I go now" feeling in a good way. It felt legitmately rewarding finding a power-up and then figuring out where you could use it to progress. It had some bullshit platforming sections but instant respawns and plenty of checkpoints made it bearable. You can also turn off the CRT video mode and add more colors if you find the visual aspect of it annoying.

I booted it up thinking I'd play it for five minutes and uninstall but got hooked and ended up finishing the game in 1-2 hours. If you like some open-world aspects in your platforming, you'd should give it a try.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 29, 2014

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

As I've said before, Ether One fills the role of Gone Home with puzzles, but it leaves them as optional, unlike Myst. I don't think people played Myst for the puzzles necessarily but just to explore a strange alien world and see how it works, as well as reading the notes/journals left behind. Which is what I tend to look for in games myself, minus the clicking at Macromedia Projector pictures.

I bought Myst as a kid back in 1991 or whenever it was, although I preferred Riven. I will admit I never saw the end of either game at the time, but I did finish Riven much later in life with a UHS hints guide. I dunno how you beat those games without resorting to some guide, even writing down everything in a notebook doesn't fully help you.

i am so proud of having finished realmyst with nothing but a couple sheets of paper, even if it took a bit sometimes

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

And his ghost pal that makes people have huge boobs when possessed.

Pearl :catstare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Crosspost because goddamn Shadow of Mordor looks good.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

I would love to see the series on Steam if only to ensure its continued existence. I'm not sure if the series is actually in trouble or not (I don't think so?), but I'd hate to see it end.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

smenj posted:

I would love to see the series on Steam if only to ensure its continued existence. I'm not sure if the series is actually in trouble or not (I don't think so?), but I'd hate to see it end.

they're making a new one right now

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Awesome! posted:

they're making a new one right now

Oh, yeah, I know that, I just remember various discussions a while ago about sales of the series declining and people hoping that Capcom wouldn't eventually decide to stop making them. I'd imagine they'd do fairly well on Steam, so it'd be nice to see the series on there.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Ciaphas posted:

Crosspost because goddamn Shadow of Mordor looks good.

Does it have QTEs?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

smenj posted:

Oh, yeah, I know that, I just remember various discussions a while ago about sales of the series declining and people hoping that Capcom wouldn't eventually decide to stop making them. I'd imagine they'd do fairly well on Steam, so it'd be nice to see the series on there.

well they did put them ios so I guess it wouldn't be a huge stretch to see them on steam

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I also really liked Apollo Justice.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

Sivek posted:

Super Win the Game comes out this week. The original was a fun, freeware game that hit on the "where do I go now" feeling in a good way. It felt legitmately rewarding finding a power-up and then figuring out where you could use it to progress. It had some bullshit platforming sections but instant respawns and plenty of checkpoints made it bearable.

I had no idea this was being developed let alone coming out tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up. The original was surprisingly entertaining since it felt like it kind of came out of nowhere with not a lot of buzz surrounding it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Hey when it comes to Death to Spies should I just get the second one or both?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Acquire Currency! posted:

I also really liked Apollo Justice.

that first case was loving amazing but then it was as steep a downhill as the cliffside of the grand canyon

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
also i hope they consider putting ghost trick somewhere in there because when it inevitably gets put on sale for like 2,50 bucks it'd be the perfect gift

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ArfJason posted:

also i hope they consider putting ghost trick somewhere in there because when it inevitably gets put on sale for like 2,50 bucks it'd be the perfect gift
I would totally buy Ghost Trick again if it came on Steam. Such a drat good game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Accordion Man posted:

I would totally buy Ghost Trick again if it came on Steam. Such a drat good game.

Seriously, Shu Takumi is a genius. Ghost Trick is drat near a perfect game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Accordion Man posted:

Hey when it comes to Death to Spies should I just get the second one or both?

Moment of Truth is way better than the original game!

E: Here is Moment of Truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-4-p5dAA1M

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 30, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
RE6 talk: this game makes me wish I was playing Kane and Lynch 2 or Mass Effect 3.

How is RE: Revelations?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

Moment of Truth is way better than the original game!

E: Here is Moment of Truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-4-p5dAA1M
Thanks for the heads up. I remember hearing that was the case but it was a while ago and I wanted to make sure.

Tezzeract posted:

How is RE: Revelations?
From everything I've heard its a good game that's more in the classic RE style than 5 and 6.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Revelations feels like what it is: a portable treatment of the newer RE games. Take from that what you will.

• Locked thread