Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Darth Freddy posted:

What? No. Dredd would never question the law, the rules of the test or anything what so ever about it. He might let some one off like the sleeping hobo but only to prove a point. The rules don't say lose your gun, fail the test. Main weapon is her mind its pretty drat clear.

What? Yes. Dredd even states that letting the hacker go towards the end was a breach of the law that she only gets away with because as a judge she has right. That doesn't change the fact that she made the incorrect judgement as far as the law is concerned and would have at the least failed on that.

You dont think its far far more of a stretch that an organisation, and judge, who has never had a psychic as part of them before would suddenly decide to change their/his mind about what constitutes a "main weapon"? Its stupid and is a terrible excuse when the actual answer is supposed to be thematic about the nature of what is required to effectively judge the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Nutsngum posted:

What? Yes. Dredd even states that letting the hacker go towards the end was a breach of the law that she only gets away with because as a judge she has right. That doesn't change the fact that she made the incorrect judgement as far as the law is concerned and would have at the least failed on that.

You dont think its far far more of a stretch that an organisation, and judge, who has never had a psychic as part of them before would suddenly decide to change their/his mind about what constitutes a "main weapon"? Its stupid and is a terrible excuse when the actual answer is supposed to be thematic about the nature of what is required to effectively judge the city.

But if Dredd can have character development how can he still be Lawful Good Memetic Badass Paladin?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Dredd struck me more of a Lawful Neutral character.

Content: The station wagon seen in the background when Tyler Durden fights The Narrator in the parking lot in Fight Club was also used in Fincher's other movie The Game when Nicholas Van Orton is hiding from James Rebhorn. Apparently it was a production coincidence when Fincher asked for "a beat up old car."

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The primary weapon thing would be stupid to write into the script if it weren't meant to be relevant. If it was just a moral about the letter of the law vs the spirit of the law they wouldn't have had to include that detail at all. it could have just been the fact that she should have failed by getting the hacker go.

Also this is a stupid argument

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think it's actually confirmed on a commentary or something that the primary weapon thing is exactly what they meant.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Aphrodite posted:

I think it's actually confirmed on a commentary or something that the primary weapon thing is exactly what they meant.

If the writers have actually said this then thats fair enough, but its still rather silly writing it as if the judges now expect the character to walk around the streets mind raping people in place of her "weapon".

Ignite Memories posted:

Also this is a stupid argument

This is also true.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Maybe it could intentionally have multiple interpretations?

No no thats ridiculous

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nutsngum posted:

If the writers have actually said this then thats fair enough, but its still rather silly writing it as if the judges now expect the character to walk around the streets mind raping people in place of her "weapon".

Primary doesn't necessarily mean most frequent.

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.

Aphrodite posted:

As if authorial intent has any bearing on the meaning of a work of art.

Or are you a post-postmodernist?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Nutsngum posted:

Letting the hacker go wasn't against the law, because as a judge she had the right to determine if he was guilty of a crime or not. Dredd originally thought she was releasing him even though she knew he was guilty, but as she explained she actually found him innocent because of evidence Dredd didn't know about. Obviously.

jabby has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Sep 24, 2014

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

One bit of Dredd's characterisation that I liked is when the two kids try to hold him up.

He says something like "Body bags or juve cubes, makes no difference to me."

Then when they attack him anyway he goes out of his way to evade and switch to stun mode before shooting them.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

SpaceCommie posted:

One bit of Dredd's characterisation that I liked is when the two kids try to hold him up.

He says something like "Body bags or juve cubes, makes no difference to me."

Then when they attack him anyway he goes out of his way to evade and switch to stun mode before shooting them.

I want to believe Dredd switched to stun because the kids fell for the "with the safety on" bit.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

strangeless posted:

As if authorial intent has any bearing on the meaning of a work of art.

Or are you a post-postmodernist?

There's a difference between authorial intent not precluding the existence of alternate legitimate interpretations and authorial intent not being valid evidence for a given interpretation being a legitimate interpretation.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

If you're discarding authorial intent you also lose the right to get all mental when someone suggests an entirely reasonable alternative explanation to a scene.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Death of the Author doesn't apply to comic book movies because comic book death is never permanent.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

If you're discarding authorial intent you also lose the right to get all mental when someone suggests an entirely reasonable alternative explanation to a scene.

Not even "also". That's almost the definition of discarding authorial intent.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

jabby posted:

Letting the hacker go wasn't against the law, because as a judge she had the right to determine if he was guilty of a crime or not. Dredd originally thought she was releasing him even though she knew he was guilty, but as she explained she actually found him innocent because of evidence Dredd didn't know about. Obviously.

This was how I read it as well. She had the ability to see that he was being held hostage and forced under torture to commit crimes. By that point in the movie, Anderson had demonstrated her abilities as a psychic enough for Dredd to respect her decision and not override it.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Death of the Author doesn't apply to comic book movies because comic book death is never permanent.

Good. I like this a lot.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I need closure on this before I start stabbing people.

strangeless
May 8, 2007

I say money, money, money, and I say hot dog! I say yes, no and I say money, money, money and I say turkey sandwich and I say jet fuel can't melt steel beams.
Dredd is clearly a reluctant christ figure throughout the whole movie but it was MaMa who died for the sins of not only the gang, but of the block and of the Judges that were corrupted or previously murdered. Not failing Anderson is the first act of a new benevolent god, a reborn christ, and Dredd's future actions will forever be held in the context of compassion and respect for the offender.

The X of Dredd's mask and the blood pattern when MaMa died tie them together, they are really the same entity, 45 degrees off from the cross, evocative of their not quite holy (far from it) nature but a symbol of their potential. Of course if there is a sequel, and Dredd has fully embraced his role in his world, I will be excited to see more cross imagery instead of X imagery.

I always hated New Criticism.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Where are your references? I'm not just going to take your word for it

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

strangeless posted:

Dredd is clearly a reluctant christ figure throughout the whole movie but it was MaMa who died for the sins of not only the gang, but of the block and of the Judges that were corrupted or previously murdered. Not failing Anderson is the first act of a new benevolent god, a reborn christ, and Dredd's future actions will forever be held in the context of compassion and respect for the offender.

The X of Dredd's mask and the blood pattern when MaMa died tie them together, they are really the same entity, 45 degrees off from the cross, evocative of their not quite holy (far from it) nature but a symbol of their potential. Of course if there is a sequel, and Dredd has fully embraced his role in his world, I will be excited to see more cross imagery instead of X imagery.

Totally obvious to anyone who was watching.

You totally missed the fact that Dredd is actually gay.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

You totally missed the fact that Dredd is actually gay.

strangeless
May 8, 2007

Who will play the voice of Walter the Wobot in the sequel?

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

strangeless posted:

I have a friend who has built a whackjob theory on how Elysium is about accepting the ideals of Lucifer and it follows a path much like this one.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

strangeless posted:

The main problem is that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" applies for criticism too. Shallow readings can give all sorts of crazy interpretations, but to really hold up, an extreme interpretation requires a ton of supporting evidence in the text to not just be deservedly dismissed.

strangeless
May 8, 2007

Idran posted:

The main problem is that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" applies for criticism too. Shallow readings can give all sorts of crazy interpretations, but to really hold up, an extreme interpretation requires a ton of supporting evidence in the text to not just be deservedly dismissed.

Didn't you see where I said "clearly?" That means if you don't see it I can call you unobservant and tell you to watch the movie again with a more critical eye.

Come on guys this is internet argument 101

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

It's like none of you read the final line in that post.

obsolete absolution
Oct 9, 2007
forgiveness is meaningless
Continuing with Dredd, I really liked the brief shots of the hacker's wire sculptures in Mama's bedroom. It really helped to show just how twisted Mama was in keeping him under control, but I suppose given her former line of work it makes sense. Also he was probably the one person she could be sure wouldn't tell anyone else.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kruller posted:

It's like none of you read the final line in that post.

I was agreeing with them :colbert:

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Not so much subtle, but something I only saw on a repeat viewing: in Sin City, when Dwight is driving around with Jackie's body and going a bit mental, he starts actually speaking his narration out loud. Which is completely fitting for a character that, while often a bit ineffective, sees himself as an errant knight: if there is one person actually living in Basin City that would still try to emulate noir cliches, it would be him.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

strangeless posted:

Who will play the voice of Walter the Wobot in the sequel?

Gilbert Gottfried.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
But who will play Dirty Frank?

Dirty Frank has to know.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Not so much subtle, but something I only saw on a repeat viewing: in Sin City, when Dwight is driving around with Jackie's body and going a bit mental, he starts actually speaking his narration out loud. Which is completely fitting for a character that, while often a bit ineffective, sees himself as an errant knight: if there is one person actually living in Basin City that would still try to emulate noir cliches, it would be him.

Not that you can really trust his view of reality in that scene, when seconds later the corpse of Jackie Boy comes to life and starts talking to him.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
The Master, the one where Philip Seymour Hoffman plays an L Ron Hubbard-type guru, has some good ones.

1) The Master's idea of "processing"-- he's convinced himself there's something mystical about the process of repeating something over and over until it sounds like nonsense. You can totally see how this works in the scene where he has Joaquin Phoenix repeating the action of walking from one wall to the other until he breaks down and starts to say weird-sounding poo poo, and the one where he has him repeat the name of the girlfriend he bailed on over and over; hey, he's able to say her name with no affect except ridiculousness now, so we must have processed the trauma away. In general, whenever the veil of obscurantism over The Master's actual beliefs is lifted, they come off as trivial to the point of stupidity

2) He keeps slipping his own sci fi terminology into serious conversations, e.g. "YOU'VE BEEN IMPLANTED WITH A PUSH-PULL MECHANISM"

3) He was planning to have a free love fuckfest at the super-credulous lady's mansion, the one where there's a party and Phoenix imagines all the women naked. This is obviously what his wife is talking about while she jerks him off into the sink, but I missed it the first time because I thought it was an allusion to a plot point we'd see later.

4) Everything he tells Phoenix about their shared "past life" is factoids that would be way more accesible to someone who read about that battle in an encyclopedia than someone who was there

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

In the new Robocop film there is a nice changeover with the whole robot/human spectrum. First. the corner of his visor HUD reads "Threats Remaining" and is counting down during the anti-robot training exercise, but changes to "Threats Neutralized" counting up as a kill-streak when he's raiding Vallon's warehouse near the end and is massacring "innocent" gangsters. At the end there's no POV visor-cam at all, and he's as back to normal as that gets when you're just a brain and lungs.

The rest of the movie is pretty ham-handed but fun.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

In Mean Girls, when the plastics visit Regina George's home on the Wednesday, the mother - who wants so much to be one of the girls - is also wearing pink, as per the rules of the plastics.

"On Wednesdays we wear pink".

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
Even though I've seen it at least twenty times, I recently caught something in Hot Fuzz that I hadn't seen before.

When Nicolas Angel is kicking the underaged kids out of the bar on his first night in Sandford, it's not just the fact that they're young-looking, have glinting braces, and have that puberty squeal that tip him off to their age. They're all drinking the beer with straws, the sign of the inexperienced.

I can't believe I just saw it now.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Captain Hotbutt posted:

Even though I've seen it at least twenty times, I recently caught something in Hot Fuzz that I hadn't seen before.

When Nicolas Angel is kicking the underaged kids out of the bar on his first night in Sandford, it's not just the fact that they're young-looking, have glinting braces, and have that puberty squeal that tip him off to their age. They're all drinking the beer with straws, the sign of the inexperienced.

They're just trying to make sure that the blanks don't get any DNA samples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Captain Hotbutt posted:

I am 33 and have no problem drinking a beer through a straw when I don't feel like moving my head. Not a sign of age just laziness.