Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I managed to keep the Red Wedding secret from my mom when we were on Season 3 GoT. She read in a waiting room magazine about Jeoffrey getting poisoned and dying in 4, so that was spoiled, but you should have heard her scream when the arrows started flying and throats were slit.

I seriously want a goddamn Greek myth movie that follows just ONE myth well. Like loving Perseus! We don't need the goddamn gods fighting, or do loving the labors of Hercules, if nothing else THE loving MINOTAUR. How hard does this poo poo have to be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

This is on hulu and still to this day does it kind of mess with me.good movie to go back and watch though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cowslips Warren posted:

I managed to keep the Red Wedding secret from my mom when we were on Season 3 GoT. She read in a waiting room magazine about Jeoffrey getting poisoned and dying in 4, so that was spoiled, but you should have heard her scream when the arrows started flying and throats were slit.

I seriously want a goddamn Greek myth movie that follows just ONE myth well. Like loving Perseus! We don't need the goddamn gods fighting, or do loving the labors of Hercules, if nothing else THE loving MINOTAUR. How hard does this poo poo have to be!

It was one of the greatest treats we were ever given by anyone in the entertainment industry - Ned Stark/Red Wedding/Purple Wedding reactions by people who genuinely had no idea. And the fact that the show was good enough that people gave a poo poo about these characters and were invested in their development was even better. Anyone can film a shocking moment, but with throwaway characters, ultimately no one gives a poo poo beyond the initial shock.

I kind of wish I hadn't read the books, that way I could have joined them in their amazement. Also, I would have had all that time that I could have used to learn a second language or master special relativity.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Memento posted:

It was one of the greatest treats we were ever given by anyone in the entertainment industry - Ned Stark/Red Wedding/Purple Wedding reactions by people who genuinely had no idea. And the fact that the show was good enough that people gave a poo poo about these characters and were invested in their development was even better. Anyone can film a shocking moment, but with throwaway characters, ultimately no one gives a poo poo beyond the initial shock.

Yeah this is true. One of my biggest problems with The Walking Dead was that you could tell everytime a meaningless fringe character was about to die, because all of a sudden they'd have a bunch of screentime and exposition about their backstory.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Me and a friend both went into Mulholland Drive totally blind and never having seen a David Lynch movie before. This was back when netflix was just on DVD, and it suggested that he would really like this movie, so he rented it.

It was an absolutely magical afternoon.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Ignite Memories posted:

Me and a friend both went into Mulholland Drive totally blind and never having seen a David Lynch movie before. This was back when netflix was just on DVD, and it suggested that he would really like this movie, so he rented it.

It was an absolutely magical afternoon.

I have never seen Mulholland Drive and have absolutely no idea what it's about.

Should I do this?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Coffee And Pie posted:

I have never seen Mulholland Drive and have absolutely no idea what it's about.

Should I do this?

It's on my short list of watchable Lynch films. Based on seeing it in 1997 or w/e.

Lynch has his head fully up his rear end most of the time but this one is weird but enjoyable.

And there is a... twist

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You should watch it. He's lying, there's no twist.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Cowslips Warren posted:

THE loving MINOTAUR

This Summer...

*bass drum beat*

Enter a world...

*bass drum beat*

Where your life...

*bass drum beat*

...hangs by a thread.

*shot of the titular minotaur, who is just Sloth from The Goonies wearing a shirt that says "I'M KING MINOS'S RETARDED SON"*

From the directors of Pearl Harbor and Not Another Teen Movie comes a film you'll be lost if you don't see.

*eardrum-rupturing bass drum beat followed by a cut to the film's logo*

THE MINOTAUR

in theaters summer 2015, rated pg-13

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

Cheshire Puss posted:

Watership Down, yes. Cute protagonist rabbits being mauled by cats, strangling themselves to death in snares and oh yes, asphyxiation featuring facial close-ups where their eyes bulge out of their heads as they die.

Rated Universal in the UK. Not even a PG.

Its really good though.

Edit: Having just checked youtube, its appears I forgot the ludicrous amount of blood. Wow.

You also forgot the rabbits that let themselves be killed and made their whole culture around it because they were fed.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cowslips Warren posted:

This reminds me of the TV series Rome. I couldn't watch more than one episode of that just because of how wrong it was (and I'm hardly an expert, so the stuff I noticed was pretty egregious). And that period of Roman history has so much going on that would make for great TV, you don't need to make these massive and arbitrary changes.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
So whenever the protagonist is completely outclassed in a hand-to-hand fight the baddie will just throw him around for a bit. First through a window, then walk over and pick him up, then throw him through some shelves, walk over an pick him up, then throw him on a table that disintegrates. Stop the inefficiency! I wanna see one of those abnormally huge/powerful guys who's actually terrifying because he would murder you if he got his hands on you instead of just moving you around a room and bruising you until you find a random object you can impale him with. I dunno know I just think it's a cop out and it's almost formulaic at this point.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tiggum posted:

This reminds me of the TV series Rome. I couldn't watch more than one episode of that just because of how wrong it was (and I'm hardly an expert, so the stuff I noticed was pretty egregious). And that period of Roman history has so much going on that would make for great TV, you don't need to make these massive and arbitrary changes.

What where the things as they did have historical advisers on the show? They might have changed some things but that was just the nature of a tv show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

What where the things as they did have historical advisers on the show? They might have changed some things but that was just the nature of a tv show.

Like I said, I only watched the first episode and I'm not an expert, but the biggest stuff that jumped out at me was Octavian being in it at all at that stage and his mother being just completely wrong in every way.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tiggum posted:

Like I said, I only watched the first episode and I'm not an expert, but the biggest stuff that jumped out at me was Octavian being in it at all at that stage and his mother being just completely wrong in every way.

The incident in the first episode was based off a historical event it just took place in a later campaign. He could also have visited Caesar when he was in gaul. Historically we know nothing about his mother, and they decided to combine her with a couple of other characters.

bobkatt013 has a new favorite as of 06:41 on Sep 30, 2014

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Also I don't buy for one minute that they used the word cocksucker in the 1870s.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Tiggum posted:

You're missing out on one of the all time greatest TV shows.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Anosmoman posted:

So whenever the protagonist is completely outclassed in a hand-to-hand fight the baddie will just throw him around for a bit. First through a window, then walk over and pick him up, then throw him through some shelves, walk over an pick him up, then throw him on a table that disintegrates. Stop the inefficiency! I wanna see one of those abnormally huge/powerful guys who's actually terrifying because he would murder you if he got his hands on you instead of just moving you around a room and bruising you until you find a random object you can impale him with. I dunno know I just think it's a cop out and it's almost formulaic at this point.

This bugged the poo poo out of me in Terminator Salvation. John Connor walks into a trap and gets cornered by a terminator (which for some reason is not armed with a gun) and it just throws him around the room instead of just snapping his neck or breaking him over his knee Bane Style. Hell a robot could probably easily rip out your heart or just pop your skull like the mountain

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

This bugged the poo poo out of me in Terminator Salvation. John Connor walks into a trap and gets cornered by a terminator (which for some reason is not armed with a gun) and it just throws him around the room instead of just snapping his neck or breaking him over his knee Bane Style. Hell a robot could probably easily rip out your heart or just pop your skull like the mountain

And he punched the tin man so hard his heart stopped in the same drat scene which makes it even more stupid.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Anosmoman posted:

On a similar note, the latest Hobbit movies (or at least the first one, skippin' the others) hits my Big Movie Beef: one-sided fights. A well-choreographed fight has both combatants landing hits, dodging, etc. Even if they're not effective hits, both parties will tire and be worn down over a fight.

In The Hobbit, the fights are all completely one-sided, even when the fighters should be evenly matched. The two that stand out are the Mines, where they just sorta bowl through a hundred goblins without taking a scratch, and the climactic fight near the end where Oakenshield gets his rear end handed to him, then afterwards ??? happens and he turns around and curbstomps the whatever he was fighting I'm not a tolkien nerd.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Memento posted:

Note: I'm not spoiling it because it's Terminator 2 ffs.

In Terminator 2: Judgement Day, James Cameron intended that at the start of the movie, all you know about the T-800 is that in the first movie, one that looked exactly like it nearly killed Sarah Conner, did kill Kyle Reese and nearly doomed mankind. You were supposed to think he was a badguy, up until the scene in the mall where he shoots the T-1000. I'm not even sure they had shown the T-1000 explicitly killing anyone up until this point.

Then the marketing department got their filthy little mitts on the movie and made a trailer that showed how awesome he was, set to Guns'n'Roses. In short: trailers suck don't watch them.

I was going to bring this up as an example as well, but at least in the Director's Cut the first thing the T-1000 does is kill a cop for his uniform.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

mng posted:

I was going to bring this up as an example as well, but at least in the Director's Cut the first thing the T-1000 does is kill a cop for his uniform.

It's in the theatrical version too, but he just sort of hits him in the gut and it's not 100% clear he kills the guy, especially if you somehow managed to go into the movie blind, only having seen the first film. You might guess that something's up when the T-800 doesn't kill anyone in the biker bar, but it's absolutely supposed to be vague.

Look at the way the T-1000 interacts with Todd and Janelle, and to a lesser extent the random civilians on the street as he's looking for John. He smiles, he acts friendly, he has more human mannerisms. On the one hand, it's the more advanced Terminator that's better at passing as human than the gruff, robotic, inexplicably Austrian T-800. On the other, it lends a bit of ambiguity and if you're watching the movie blind you're not gonna be sure who's the good guy until the scene in the hallway at the mall.

Robert Patrick was fantastic in T2.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's in the theatrical version too, but he just sort of hits him in the gut and it's not 100% clear he kills the guy, especially if you somehow managed to go into the movie blind, only having seen the first film. You might guess that something's up when the T-800 doesn't kill anyone in the biker bar, but it's absolutely supposed to be vague.

Look at the way the T-1000 interacts with Todd and Janelle, and to a lesser extent the random civilians on the street as he's looking for John. He smiles, he acts friendly, he has more human mannerisms. On the one hand, it's the more advanced Terminator that's better at passing as human than the gruff, robotic, inexplicably Austrian T-800. On the other, it lends a bit of ambiguity and if you're watching the movie blind you're not gonna be sure who's the good guy until the scene in the hallway at the mall.

I loved that deleted scene where he was 'seeing' with his hands when investigating young John's room, just creepily caressing every object.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Oh yeah, it's just the only thing that stuck out to me, but then I've seen it so many times. Patrick was also partly chosen because he didn't blink (except once or twice I think) while shooting, managing a blind reload, then continuing shooting. Definitely loving terrifying as an unrelenting terminator.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The T800 just wrecks poo poo in the bar scene so I never even noticed that he doesn't actually kill anyone for a really long time.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's in the theatrical version too, but he just sort of hits him in the gut and it's not 100% clear he kills the guy, especially if you somehow managed to go into the movie blind, only having seen the first film.
It always kind of bugged me that the T1000 arrives naked and then only copies that cop's uniform, just to keep the audience fooled.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

This is an amazing show I got into because my history teacher loved it and showed clips in class, because some things were perfect demonstrations of how things were historically done.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Aggressive pricing posted:

This is an amazing show I got into because my history teacher loved it and showed clips in class, because some things were perfect demonstrations of how things were historically done.

I guess Octavian and his mother just stood out to me because I don't know that much about ancient Rome, but that was one thing where what I was seeing was just obviously wrong when compared with what I'd read. Perhaps the problem is that I know just enough to see that but not enough to notice all the stuff they got right, so it unbalances it in my mind. Oh well, it's certainly irrationally irritating, because it's not like the show would have to be historically accurate to be good TV anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anosmoman posted:

There's a Game of Thrones fight that's just what you're looking for.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Aphrodite posted:

It's almost like he was deliberately describing that fight. Big guy is absolutely really one of those abnormally huge terrifying motherfuckers in real life.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

What where the things as they did have historical advisers on the show?

The commentary with those guys are great. At one point they admit that maybe real Roman women would have had more pubic hair.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

heh well yes not all movies or shows do it. I should do a shout-out to the drones or whatever in Edge of Tomorrow too. Those things don't gently caress around - if you are remotely within reach you will be dismembered.

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I guess Octavian and his mother just stood out to me because I don't know that much about ancient Rome, but that was one thing where what I was seeing was just obviously wrong when compared with what I'd read. Perhaps the problem is that I know just enough to see that but not enough to notice all the stuff they got right, so it unbalances it in my mind. Oh well, it's certainly irrationally irritating, because it's not like the show would have to be historically accurate to be good TV anyway.

Yeah, it's not entirely accurate by any means, but they do a really good job and it's such a fantastic show I wouldn't mind if they had had Pullo jamming out with an ipod.

My irrationally irritating moment from a show was Vikings, there's a scene where the son and brother of the main character are fighting on a beach and one get's slashed along the ribs. The next scene he wiped away the blood and the cut looked like it had been healing for two weeks, immersion ruined.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

It might be hard to look at it without foreknowledge but I think Arnie was pretty well set up as being the good guy in T2 before the 'reveal', mainly because of this:

http://youtu.be/4LvlsrtBj4I?t=1m25s

There was no way he was going to be the badguy after that moment, especially with the sunglasses.

Lemon has a new favorite as of 21:54 on Sep 30, 2014

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man
In the first Terminator movie John Connor arrives thru time, mugs a tramp then immediately starts poo poo with the cops. A pattern which is followed in T2, except with the old switcheroo

edit: not in that T1000 mugs a tramp, but rather that the good/bad time dude dichotomy is unrelated to said time dude's attitude to contemporary law enforcement

edit again: obviously I meant Kyle Reese and my original error totally obscured my point. poo poo.

Mousepractice has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Oct 1, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mousepractice posted:

In the first Terminator movie John Connor arrives thru time, mugs a tramp then immediately starts poo poo with the cops. A pattern which is followed in T2, except with the old switcheroo

edit: not in that T1000 mugs a tramp, but rather that the good/bad time dude dichotomy is unrelated to said time dude's attitude to contemporary law enforcement

If George R.R. Martin wrote for James Cameron, sure.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Mousepractice posted:

That was Kyle Reese doing that, the Termie just busted up Hudson's (from Aliens) crew of punks for something to wrangle his dangle.

Which is another funny thing, there are so many cross-over roles between the Alien franchise and the Terminator one.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

mng posted:

That was Kyle Reese doing that, the Termie just busted up Hudson's (from Aliens) crew of punks for something to wrangle his dangle.

Which is another funny thing, there are so many cross-over roles between the Alien franchise and the Terminator one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkz0Lx6VyxA

Jenette Goldstein went from being a total badass in Aliens, to a mom/T1000 dupe in T2 to finally just being 'Irish Mommy' in Titanic.

e: my irritation is that no one was actually locked up in steerage on the Titanic, and the fatalism displayed in that scene was pretty nonsensical and not an accurate depiction of how a parent would react in that situation, imo

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's almost like he was deliberately describing that fight. Big guy is absolutely really one of those abnormally huge terrifying motherfuckers in real life.

Yeah, for people who haven't seen him..

The woman on the right is 5'7", so about average size. He's legit 6'6" 350lbs.