Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Turin Turambar posted:

Jotun wolf and... what else? Wolves are nice, but I wouldn't say "insanely powerful". A good group of them with a good bless has to be an effective force, but I'm not sure if I would design my strategy around that for an entire game.

big strong fast mutlitple attacks 0 gold cost and overlapping fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
they are like demon knights except without the hassle of loving demon leadership, and also really drat easy to make

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012
I'm getting to the point in a game where I have a lot in conjuration for some national summons. What generic summons are worth getting as well, Conj 6+?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Jotun wolf and... what else? Wolves are nice, but I wouldn't say "insanely powerful". A good group of them with a good bless has to be an effective force, but I'm not sure if I would design my strategy around that for an entire game.

In dom4, blesses are a very potent early to mid-game game strategy, but you really can't expect them to carry you a whole game unless you manage to clinch a fast win, as rude globals and certain high research battle magics will still end you in the late game. In the late game, you need to transition into controlling globals, crazy battle magic or remote attacks to back that up.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jsoh posted:

they are like demon knights except without the hassle of loving demon leadership, and also really drat easy to make

Now I want to see what would happen in a fight of 20 Demon Knights vs 50 Jotun Wolves. I suppose wolves would win with a good bless.

edit:

"Scarewulfs are one of the best troops in the game; you are almost certainly undervaluing just how incredibly powerful overlapping fear auras is. "
Possibly.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 29, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Boing posted:

I might have a go at Mictlan then. (blood hunting raises unrest a lot, it's scary)

Which bless effects are good in which case? I know regeneration is really good on giants because it regenerates a % of HP, but what about massed troops like Jaguars? Something like F9W9 for double fire attacks?

Massable sacred troops with loads of attacks? Fire for weaponskill and AP, blood for strength and blood vengeance.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Turin Turambar posted:

Scarewulfs are one of the best troops in the game; you are almost certainly undervaluing just how incredibly powerful overlapping fear auras are.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

In dom4, blesses are a very potent early to mid-game game strategy, but you really can't expect them to carry you a whole game unless you manage to clinch a fast win, as rude globals and certain high research battle magics will still end you in the late game. In the late game, you need to transition into controlling globals, crazy battle magic or remote attacks to back that up.

Note that by taking a bless you usually have at least one if not two strong end-game magic paths on your pretender and are well set for controlling globals so long as you think things out.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 29, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

The Gentleman posted:

I'm getting to the point in a game where I have a lot in conjuration for some national summons. What generic summons are worth getting as well, Conj 6+?
Cattleplebs or whatever they're called are pretty good.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Which global rituals are worth shooting for? Looking through the huge spell list is really intimidating and in all of my AI games it never goes on long enough for me to even test any of them. There are a load that kill population in a province but they don't actually seem that useful, unless killing pop does something that I'm not aware of. Don't they just lose a bit of income?

I know burden of time is supposed to be good if you have a lot of undead, and it seems to come pretty early on. But what else?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
All of the gem-generating globals are useful unless you have jealous and unoccupied neighbours who can break your poo poo if you pour all your gem savings into them. The other super useful global is Gift of Health, which doubles (I think?) unit health in your dominion and lets everyone heal afflictions. If you're playing a faction with reasonable Nature mages and income, try to shoot for it if possible.

On pop-killing spells, most of them also increase unrest. If unrest hits 100 in a province, it can't recruit stuff, and its income is totally gutted.

So let's say it's relatively early and your opponent has 4 or 5 forts. If you can lock a couple of them down with unrest (especially the capital), that's A Big Deal, especially since it means they'll have to commit pre-existing troops or summoned units to patrol it down, since they can't build stuff in situ.

High unrest also unlocks a ton of super lovely events, so stuff like Baleful Star which adds misfortune + unrest is super nasty, especially if people are running a Turmoil/Luck build. When you go from Turmoil/Luck and no unrest to Turmoil 3/Misfortune 3 at close to or above 100 unrest, that's the kind of situation where half your province fucks off in one event.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

All of the gem-generating globals are useful unless you have jealous and unoccupied neighbours who can break your poo poo if you pour all your gem savings into them. The other super useful global is Gift of Health, which doubles (I think?) unit health in your dominion and lets everyone heal afflictions. If you're playing a faction with reasonable Nature mages and income, try to shoot for it if possible.

On pop-killing spells, most of them also increase unrest. If unrest hits 100 in a province, it can't recruit stuff, and its income is totally gutted.

So let's say it's relatively early and your opponent has 4 or 5 forts. If you can lock a couple of them down with unrest (especially the capital), that's A Big Deal, especially since it means they'll have to commit pre-existing troops or summoned units to patrol it down, since they can't build stuff in situ.

High unrest also unlocks a ton of super lovely events, so stuff like Baleful Star which adds misfortune + unrest is super nasty, especially if people are running a Turmoil/Luck build. When you go from Turmoil/Luck and no unrest to Turmoil 3/Misfortune 3 at close to or above 100 unrest, that's the kind of situation where half your province fucks off in one event.

Are there any nasty events for underwater-provinces, like some underwater-barbarians attacking? I'm trying to decide if throwing Baleful Star at an underwater nation is just a waste of pearls or not.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
There's Amber and Shark tribe triton attacks and those guys are motherfuckers.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Boing posted:

Which global rituals are worth shooting for? Looking through the huge spell list is really intimidating and in all of my AI games it never goes on long enough for me to even test any of them. There are a load that kill population in a province but they don't actually seem that useful, unless killing pop does something that I'm not aware of. Don't they just lose a bit of income?

I know burden of time is supposed to be good if you have a lot of undead, and it seems to come pretty early on. But what else?

Defensive globals that screw people in your candles
Vengeful waters
Dark Skies
Wrath of God, particularly in turmoil dom.

Gamewinner globals
Arcane Nexus
Arcane Corruption (do this and spam send horror at people)

Quality globals worth casting
Eyes of God
Gift of Health. +10% HP per candle in your dominion and generates tons of heal checks on your units. Basically required if you are using tartarians.

gently caress the planet globals
Burden of Time
Utterdark

Gemgens are of course useful, primarily mother oak as it has a low barrier to entry. It allows you to dominate GoH or do other nature gemmy things. Maelstrom is also a really high quality gemgen if you can do it.

Other blood globals are generally useful for crowding out global slots as you can sink huge number of slaves into a cast and poo poo up the global list without too much effort.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

There's Amber and Shark tribe triton attacks and those guys are motherfuckers.
Yeah shark tribe in particular are disgusting. 9 attacks per square, all of them hit pretty hard, 6 of them are poisonous. And if you don't kill the tritons in one blow, the problem just gets worse, because they're Berserkers.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Libluini posted:

So this is what happened on the rest of the map while I was busy drowning the army on my cap in ants? Just too bad my burning rampage to retake my lands was cut short by Ermor winning. :v:
I was coming back with plenty of lightning to fry those ants!

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Simplegame has ended, with the Glorious Undead Empire of Ermor (played by myself) claiming the necessary thrones.
I second Libluini's bemusement mostly because I didn't have any borders anywhere near you and your neighbors were pretty quiet about all of your throne access. Praise the sphinx!

Boing posted:

Which global rituals are worth shooting for?
  • Astral Corruption sets up one of the strongest endgame strategies by comboing with Send Horror to blow up armies everywhere.
  • Vengeful Waters and/or Dark Skies can make you incredibly difficult to attack.
  • Gift of Health makes you beefy in your dom, can patch up your Mind Hunting mages who fail, makes your Communions stronger in your territory, and helps to counteract the effects of Burden of Time.
  • Wrath of God can slowly grind away at enemies in your dominion, and people everywhere in general
  • Eyes of God is like maphack. Seriously, it's really good
  • The gem-gen globals (Mother Oak, Stellar Focus, Eternal Pyre) are mostly for tying up global spots so other people can't have them
  • Perpetual Storm can help you vs flyers, raiding, sailing and Seeking Arrows by shutting them down. These are all tools of Vanheim/Caelum, so you may have to fight for it
  • Foul Air is real fun if you're a nation like Asphodel or Pangaea with innate recuperation, or you're an Undead nation
Those are the ones you'll see most often because they're lower level than the rest. The others can be situationally strong too - they just require more research so you won't see them as often.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
What does Strands of Arcane Power do? I never got around to casting that global, and I don't quite understand the description. And is it as bad (useless) as I suspect it is?

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Have Some Flowers! posted:

[*]Perpetual Storm can help you vs flyers, raiding, sailing and Seeking Arrows by shutting them down. These are all tools of Vanheim/Caelum, so you may have to fight for it

Perpetual storm is goddamn fantastic if you have units that can fly through storms. I shut down a 250+ army of wind riders with flaming weapons as lanka by throwing up perpetual storm. And it means you can get free boosts in air during battle with one simple cast! MORE LIGHTNING BOLTS.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Torrannor posted:

What does Strands of Arcane Power do? I never got around to casting that global, and I don't quite understand the description. And is it as bad (useless) as I suspect it is?

Site searches all provinces you own in your dominion at magic level - 5, I think. So an S9 caster will find all level 1-4 astral sites in your dominion.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Torrannor posted:

It site searches every province in your dominion with the paths of the mage who casted it minus 1. It mind burns enemy mages who enter your dominion. It magic duels enemy astral mages who enter your dominion.

This is what I've heard at least.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It "magic duels" enemy S mages in your dominion, and slowly site searches all your provinces (in your dominion?).

Presumably you will win the magic duels because you cast it with an s9 mage. But they feeblemind instead of killing, so it's honestly more dangerous to your pretender.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Burton of Tim is also much weaker now that it has been nerfed to 1 year per turn instead of 5 years per turn and is further affected by growth\death scales. I don't think it's such a game-ender anymore unless you are utterly reliant on old people and have death dom.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
It needs more testing still to be honest. So far it seems to average out to about 1 year per turn, but it can 'hit' for up to 4 years at once still. Growth/Death scales seem to influence it by about +/- 30%, and it seems to be affected by MR. There's a lot of uncertainty in those statements, though.

It still serves a great role to reduce pop over a game to put the brakes on blood strategies.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
edit: Had Quickness on that post

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Burton of Tim is also much weaker now that it has been nerfed to 1 year per turn instead of 5 years per turn and is further affected by growth\death scales. I don't think it's such a game-ender anymore unless you are utterly reliant on old people and have death dom.

I still remember a Dom3 game where BOT destroyed my force of old men in short order. Seeing everything die in a few turns scarred me so much I avoid recruiting expensive old-age mages like the plague even now.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yeah it's still a powerful global but it's substantially less world-ending now than it used to be.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

In the new incarnation, it still fucks old men at almost the same rate as it did before. The main thing is that your young 20something mages and line troops don't age out in a year which is pretty nice.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

In the new incarnation, it still fucks old men at almost the same rate as it did before. The main thing is that your young 20something mages and line troops don't age out in a year which is pretty nice.

Yeah, having all your chaff age 60 years in a year game time (12 turns) and die of old age at the end was pretty harrowing. That game in Dom3 where all my mages died? When the last mage dropped dead, the last soldiers followed just a couple turns later.

Now at least you have enough time to either dispel or summon alternatives, if you're unlucky enough to be settled with old men and normal units. (I think Bakemonos have it even worse, since they enter old ages ten years earlier.)

If you have Elves or similar long-lived people, you can mostly laugh about BOT, since with a rate of 1 year per turn most Elves still can endure 100+ turns before they even reach old age.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

scalded schlong posted:

Site searches all provinces you own in your dominion at magic level - 5, I think. So an S9 caster will find all level 1-4 astral sites in your dominion.

There's isn't a clear correlation between the mage's path levels and how thorough the search is. You need at least one level in a path to search for it, but even if you only have one point it's possible to get level 2 or 3 searches. Also, I've never seen it go higher than 3, no matter how powerful the mage.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Let's just all agree that Strands of Arcane Power is a really weird spell that you'll never cast in Multiplayer and nobody fully understands it, not even the Devs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

Later ages get Glosos, cheap, sacred boars with poison attacks, stealth, heat aura and darkvision. They're not as good but you get more of them and they don't compete for the same gems. And all ages can slap shrouds on Skrattir to make one of the few thugs still worth using.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Speleothing posted:

Let's just all agree that Strands of Arcane Power is a really weird spell that you'll never cast in Multiplayer and nobody fully understands it, not even the Devs.

I tried to cast it in one game but it didn't even make it onto the board because everyone else already had billion gem stuff worth a drat up. :smith:

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
http://puu.sh/bTqyh/be02e30c9e.jpg

Ok so i guess undying works on the strategic map as well for permabless units like prophets and shroud users?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
If you take the shroud off, will he die?

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

amuayse posted:

If you take the shroud off, will he die?

No idea to be honest the shroud was just a guess on my part as ive only had it happen to my prophet here (in this case a hit from wrath of god). If i had to guess if he ever goes into battle again he'll die at the end.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Yes Undying works on the strategic map if you have a way of getting it between battles (permanent bless is the only way afaik) and yes he will die if you take away the bless, though I think it will wait until it does the check next turn before killing him.

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN
New idea: once ermor is defeated, the evil spell is broken and all the dead people come back to life :unsmith:

I mean come on, it's a magic world where a handful of hobbits can take down a giant, women are as strong as men and a turkey can psi-duel an angel, there are crazier things going on. Having the population on wasted provinces reset would actually create an incentive to take and hold ermor territory. Storm the capital and bam, you suddenly have 1500 more gold coming in every turn.

immolationsex fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 30, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

immolationsex posted:

New idea: once ermor is defeated, the evil spell is broken and all the dead people come back to life :unsmith:

But what about Lemuria? Lemuria isn't evil, just spooky. The people just die of fear, how would you reverse that?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

immolationsex posted:

I mean come on, it's a magic world where a handful of hobbits can take down a giant, women are as strong as men...
Only with mods!

Libluini posted:

But what about Lemuria? Lemuria isn't evil, just spooky. The people just die of fear, how would you reverse that?
Graveside therapists.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I kind of feel like once a province is "empty" (like population of 10 or whatever), out of pop-kill dominion and not Death 2/3, there should be a massive chance of the population migration events occurring as people move to the free and open land.

Kill the Ermor, redistribute the little people, annoy all of the blood-economies by dropping their populations to just under the good searching limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

immolationsex posted:

I mean come on, it's a magic world where a handful of hobbits can take down a giant, women are as strong as men and a turkey can psi-duel an angel, there are crazier things going on. Having the population on wasted provinces reset would actually create an incentive to take and hold ermor territory. Storm the capital and bam, you suddenly have 1500 more gold coming in every turn.

If you kill Ermor you become Ermor.

• Locked thread