Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Finally managed to shuffle my schedule so I could get into the Sunday afternoon VIP tourney. Played this deck.

First game was against a pack raptor/briar legion/mimic blue/green/white deck. Won this one 2-0.

Second game was against a blue/white inspire & gorefeast deck, which is just about the hardest match for my deck, lost 1-2.

Third game was against blood/sapphire. Lost 0-2. One round I was badly shard screwed, the other was a clinch win for him where I was a single round away from victory when he pulled off the darkspire replicator gambit. In retrospect I should've kept more open to counter instead of committing.

Fourth game was against a blood/ruby orc deck and I managed to win 2-0. Either he never managed to draw his Gorefeasts or he didn't have them (suspect he didn't have them as he was using Pact of Pain).

Overall it's still a very fun deck to play but I'm really looking forward to next set. My goal heading in was to get 2 wins so I'd get 1 copy of the alternate art cards, and I managed that, so go me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Not a bad godamn evening, went 4-0 in the VIP tournament with Midnight Judgement (GGs Rylek) & won a primal with the prize packs.

Decided to do a comp draft, went 3-0 and won a primal from that too!

But perhaps the real feather in my cap for the evening is ruffling Zubrin's feathers on twitter, who seems to be taking exception to me insisting my deck is a real deck. Whether or not it is doesn't really matter, but I'll keep saying it if it keeps aggravating him, haha.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

LightReaper posted:

But perhaps the real feather in my cap for the evening is ruffling Zubrin's feathers on twitter, who seems to be taking exception to me insisting my deck is a real deck.

You won the Hextechs open, constructed drafts and now went 4-0 in a VIP tournament...if your deck isn't a "real" deck I don't know what is. He is always advertising reddit on his channel, as someone who is not a fan of reddit the more feathers ruffled the better.

I can't tell if your comment is playful or serious, but I mean suggesting your deck coming out on top of 60+ people in a tournament was a fluke is a dick move. I'm not saying it's the best deck or anything, but it's certainly a real deck.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

LightReaper posted:

Not a bad godamn evening, went 4-0 in the VIP tournament with Midnight Judgement (GGs Rylek) & won a primal with the prize packs.

Decided to do a comp draft, went 3-0 and won a primal from that too!

But perhaps the real feather in my cap for the evening is ruffling Zubrin's feathers on twitter, who seems to be taking exception to me insisting my deck is a real deck. Whether or not it is doesn't really matter, but I'll keep saying it if it keeps aggravating him, haha.

Do you have any recorded streams of any of that? I'd be down to watch what it looks like when it is kicking rear end. :)

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

You won the Hextechs open, constructed drafts and now went 4-0 in a VIP tournament...if your deck isn't a "real" deck I don't know what is. He is always advertising reddit on his channel, as someone who is not a fan of reddit the more feathers ruffled the better.

I can't tell if your comment is playful or serious, but I mean suggesting your deck coming out on top of 60+ people in a tournament was a fluke is a dick move. I'm not saying it's the best deck or anything, but it's certainly a real deck.
I don't think the deck is a tier 1 deck yet myself - it needs better resource fixing for that, but I'm definitely keen to keep pushing the deck forward as Lixil is definitely the real deal. And his comment didn't really bother me, it just seemed weird for him to get a little snobby about things when we've never interacted meaningfully in any way before.

King Burgundy posted:

Do you have any recorded streams of any of that? I'd be down to watch what it looks like when it is kicking rear end. :)
My channel does keep the stream recorded for a few days, but the audio will be muted due to the music - if you check my channel (twitch.tv/lightreaper) the last broadcast's first 3-4 hours has all the mostly muted 5 shard control you could ask for.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
My VIP tourney experience left a lot to be desired, I will unfold the saga below:

I'm running my variation of the W/B Pact Deck for the tourney.

Match 1: I draw LightReaper out of 120 some people and realize that the gods are against me from the start.

Game 1: LR gets turn 2 Soul Marble and some dudes and I Pact myself to death in a desperate attempt to find an Extinction.

Game 2: LR has an invincible Lixil on turn 3!! Gets a Soul Marble out and things look bleak. I Relentless a Judgement from LR which allows me to Reset the board(Except for Lixil :argh:) and with my life gain I'm able to crawl back into the match on the back of a Colossus, and eventually take the win.

Game 3: Toward the end of our epic game 2(30min+ game) I realize I've done a terrible job of time managment and have like 5 min for game 3. I try to play as aggressive as I can and had a strong board with a colossus out, but LR knowing time was an issue for me did a good job of just delaying and buying time. We GG each other as my time expires and I fall to 0-1.

Things I learned from my match with LR, Crush(aka Trample) does not work in Hex like it does in MTG. A 3/3 invincible Lixil can block a 9/9 crusher and nothing goes through. I was expecting 6 points of crush damage and was sorely mistaken.

Match 2: Feeling I held my own with one of the best Hex players on the planet I'm confident going into game 2. I'm matched up against a R/D/S Inspire deck.

Game 1: I get a good draw and have both pacts out by turn 4. 2 more Pacts of Life later and the guy can't keep up with my ability to dig for any answer I need. He eventually succumbs to the hoofs of my Rhinos.

Now here is where things get wonky and I start getting pissed. After having clock issues in my match with LR I'm paying extra attention to my clock and making sure I'm making my decisions quickly. I notice that I'm starting to get weird lag in my match and that my clock never stops ticking. My opponent will be drawing/playing cards and my clock is ticking while his is as well. So Game 1 which only went 10-11 turns leaves me with just over 10 min left on my clock.

Game 2: I get another good draw with 2 extinctions in my opening hand and proceed to let him play out his hand then board wipe him. I dispatch him fairly quickly but the clock issues persist. I'm spamming space bar during his turn and was losing almost a minute of time just during his turn! I win the match with 32sec left on my clock. I'm now 1-1 in the tourney.

Match 3: I get matched up against another R/D/S Inspire deck, and being conscious of the clock issue I'm having I spam Space Bar like its going out of style.

Game 1: I get a bad hand but some early good draws bring me back. I've wiped his board numerous times and am 1 turn from winning the game. Clock issues continue and I'm down to 15min on turn 8ish. He has the Graveyard Inspire enchant out with a gazillion inspire guys in his graveyard. He then plays Legionnaire and proceeds to wipe my rhinos and spiders gaining himself 30 some life in the process. I then spend the next 14min grinding him down watching as my clock never stops ticking. I win the game with 90sec left then proceed to lose the match 1-0.

Match 4: Knowing I have no chance to win 2 games with my deck fast enough with the clock issues I'm having I attempt to disconnect and reconnect hoping that fixes the issue. I reconnect and get back into the tournament lobby. I see the 'Starting' happen and then get stuck at a screen of stars. I'm unable to reconnect to the game completely and lose 0-2, finishing the tourney 1-3.

So the whole thing was very disappointing and I feel I had a really good chance to go 3-1. I submitted a ticket requesting my Plat and Ticket back since I feel I didn't get a fair shot during the tourney. All in all I enjoyed the format and am looking forward to the Sealed version here soon. Happy to hear you went 4-0 LR!!

Crosswell
Jun 7, 2007
Lying in a Bombay alley
Do you have a terrible machine? I had similar clock issues until I stopped playing with my laptop unplugged in power saver mode.

Edit: also if you can't do anything about your rig you should definitely not play tupact.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Pippit sleeves - Post when you redeem it

4ZX544U3Q2VECGYT6AJG29XZ9

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 30, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Karnegal posted:

Pippit sleeves - Post when you redeem it

4ZX544U3Q2VECGYT6AJG29XZ9

Got 'em. Thanks!

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

I can't access the Hex TCG site from work but I'm hearing rumblings that downtime is expected to last until about eight hours from now, any chance someone could confirm this and/or post a text summary of the FAQ they put up today? Thanks babes.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
We'll be posting more information on the website. To keep up-to-date follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

FAQ for Patching:

Q: When is the patch happening?
A: We're still on track for September, 30 at 3AM PDT (Worldclock)

Q: How long will the patch take place for?
A: We're targeting 8 hours for the total duration of the patch.

Q: Why are tournaments being locked at 11PM PDT?
A: They are being locked because any tournaments starting or opening at that time would run through the patch and you will not be able to play the game during patch, thusly kicking you out of the game and tournament.

Q: Why can't I download the new patcher? Where do I download the patcher?
A: We don't want to release the new patcher until everything is finalized. We will announce the location of the new patcher once we verify everything is ready.

Q: Why do we have to download a whole new patcher and uninstall the old one?
A: As we've moved to a new version of Unity there were many changes that required an entirely new patcher.

Q: Will I be able to post auctions?
A: You are able to post auctions, BUT, any auctions running through the patch time-frame will still cause the auction to tick down and potentially expire.

Q: Why are tournaments locked after the patch and the server re-opens?
A: Just in case there are bugs or serious issues in the game that can result in massive issues and many tickets being sent to Support, we wanted to make sure all the kinks are worked out. We're estimating this to be about 1 to 3 hours. Potentially longer if there are issues.

Q: When will the full patch notes be available?
A: They will be available on the main page starting at the beginning of downtime.

Q: What is the size of the new patcher? And what is the size of the new client that we have to download through the patcher?
A: The new patcher is 8.63MB and the total size of the game will be 1.1GB

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Thanks Grim! I guess the follow-up would be someone please post detailed patch notes when they become available for us less fortunate folk.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

quote:

Patch Notes for v0.9.4.020

Highlights

Every single screen in the game has been updated
You can now mail cards, packs, gold, and platinum to other players
Buttons and hotkeys have been added to proceed directly to the Attack or End phase during a match
Tweaks have been made to the AI system

User Interface

Login splash screen art has been changed
Players can now click and highlight within text boxes
Card Manager has a new icon in the navigation bar
Play Now has been changed to Proving Grounds
Tournaments has its own button on the navigation bar
Inventory Stash has its own button on the navigation bar
Store button in navigation bar has been changed to the Hex logo
Gold and Platinum icons have increased in size
Keep name has now been named Account Name in the account creation UI
Settings options now has the ability to reassign hotkeys for Go To Attack and Go To End Phase buttons
ONE-SHOT has its own icon
Some champions have had a makeover
News window on the landing page now rotates between content and can be clicked

Landing Page

Starter Trial button has moved under the News window
If there are no available Starter Trials, its button will be hidden
HEX Tutorial button has moved under the Starter Trial button
Background image changed and is still a work in progress

Proving Grounds

A valid deck is required to play random opponents or play AI
Players can no longer issue challenges without a valid deck
Interface has been polished

Tournaments

Entry fee UI always populates correct Platinum cost
Waiting Rooms have been given a facelift
Tournaments that do not reward cards no longer have sections for cards in their rewards windows
The Tournament screen uses the screen space more efficiently

Card Manager

Inventory Stash has its own button it no longer has a tab in the Card Manager
‘Filters’ now has an icon instead of text
Spacing with large card view improved
Cards in large view now slightly larger
Using Show All Items in the Filters will show you all cards you do not have in your collection
Scroll bars are more reliable
‘Sort by’ now has an icon instead of text
‘Quantity owned’ sorting method added
Champion section has been given a facelift
Deck manager dropdown has a new icon
Card links now work in Champion selection
Clicking a card now highlights it
Players can now click and highlight within the search text box
Deck Validation now gives a warning if attempting to save a deck without necessary thresholds
Removed expand and collapse arrows
Search field has improved

Auction House

Auction House interface has received a facelift
Players can now click and highlight within search text boxes
Gavel icon has been replaced by an Add button for creating auctions
Scroll bar added to card picking screen when creating an auction

Tutorial

Added text to make it clear that you are not playing with your own deck

Store

Store layout is now correct across different screen resolutions
Animations have been improved
Starter pack Info buttons now look like buttons

Pack Opening

Gold amount has been moved beneath Kismet
New Wheels of Fate reward window
New flooring added to the Wheels of Fate pedestal
Back button added to replace icon to increase clarity

Battle Screen

The cards in your hand are larger and fanned
Cards on the chain are larger
Cost, Attack, and Defense numbers are more prominent
Reveal UI now includes player name, source card for the reveal, and cards affected
When choosing from multiple cards or looking through the graveyard you now have a scroll bar option
Phase names removed from the top middle of the screen
Phase indicator wheel has been improved
Frame added around Play or Draw pop-up
Manage Phase Stops button moved to the middle of the phase wheel
You can see the opponents hand (face down) and which sleeve they are using
Health is above player name
Charges are below player name
Charge power indicator will have a particle burst when it has sufficient charges
Player decks now have an icon and counter
Graveyards now have its own icon and counter
Game settings can now be accessed from the Concede window
Threshold and resources have been moved to the right side of your hand
Pass Priority buttons are now reshaped and aflame
Font on Pass Priority button changed
Active player is now indicated with a flaming nameplate
Player and Opponents names are more prominent
Opponent’s champion is shown during victory screen instead of sleeves
Resources frame updated
Icons on cards have been improved

Social

You can now send items through the mail using the Attach button when composing
You can send multiple individual cards, booster packs, platinum, gold
Navigation menu now looks correct when opening Friends or Mail
Add Player and Ignore Player functionality in Friends menu moved to the bottom of the screen
Close button added to the Friends window
Chat Options now layer properly with the chat window
The behind the scenes guts of chat have been replaced
Chat is much better about staying within the boundaries of the chat box
Chat font should be more legible

Audio

Sound effects are no longer lost after completing a match against the AI
Card hover sound during game is much, much quieter
User interface sounds added throughout the game
Some combat sound have been added
A new sound effect plays when revealing a rare card during pack opening
Pack opening sound is no longer louder than other game sounds

Patcher

Changing the language will immediately switch the language in the patcher
Close button added for when patcher is run without borders
Patcher window overall is smaller but the play button is bigger!
Logo updated

Gameplay

Menacing Gralk no longer improperly adds game text to cards in opponents hand
Force attack troops now attack at the same time as other troops
Players no longer lose a pass priority button from Veteran Gladiator
Blood Orb of Deception now works correctly
Technical Genius now works correctly when opponent gains control of it
Corrupted Afterlife now resolves at a much quicker rate
Players can now play quick cards correctly in response to their own cards on the chain
Players can now respond correctly to Protectorate Sorcerer
Frost Wizard no longer incorrectly voids cards added to your deck by an opponent
Eternal Guardian now works correctly
Players can now view a cards previous transformation in zoomed view in game
Legionnaire of Gawain now works correctly with cost reduction and Midnight Shepard
Crazed Squirrel Titan now works correctly with Life Drain
Stoneskin now works correctly
Soul Marble now correctly transforms if sent to another zone while gaining a tenth counter
Prime Sapphire of Subterfuge no longer ignores threshold requirements
Playing escalation cards with no cards in deck will no longer gate the client
Deselecting blockers, after assigning blockers now works correctly

Known Issues

Reveal UI overlaps in certain resolutions
Chest filter does not work in the pack opening screen
Cards in the back row of play can sometimes be overlapped by the priority button
Right-clicking a pack while attaching a booster to a mail will take you to the pack opening screen
Reconnecting during the AI’s turn will no longer show the pass priority bar, proceed to attack or end turn buttons will get you back into the thick of battle
If you try to save a deck over another deck of the same name it will remove both decks from your decklist
Opening multiple packs at a time can cause the client to sometimes become unresponsive for a few seconds
The rewards tab scroll bar doesn’t function in tournaments
Sort by cost in mail attachment UI is improperly named “Sort by X Cost”
Cards revealed in hand (Argus, Shadowgrove Witch) cause the image of the card to gain pink borders
Some cards with flight that are affected by Cosmic Transmogrifier retain flight
Cards no longer shake when triggering
Cards that attack no longer shift up when attacking
The confirmation button for ordering blockers can sometimes be obscured by cards in hand in certain resolutions
Some text in the German and French builds still shows as English

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

No mention of Relentless Corruption getting fixed, which is aggravating, though at least the Blood gem is hopefully finally truthfully for the last time fixed.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
They very sneakily updated the patcher on the website but haven't made a big announcement about it yet so the servers shouldn't be getting hammered if you jump on now; http://dl.hex.gameforge.com/HEXSetup.exe

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Obviously the servers are still down, but man, the new login screen looks spiffy. I don't see an exit button though and there's no menu that comes up when you hit escape, so that needs looking at.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Does anyone have a download link for the new patcher?

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Two posts above you.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Captain Capitalism posted:

Two posts above you.

Thanks, I'm blind.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

Crosswell posted:

Do you have a terrible machine? I had similar clock issues until I stopped playing with my laptop unplugged in power saver mode.

Edit: also if you can't do anything about your rig you should definitely not play tupact.

I run an Intel 4760k, 16GB of RAM, 2x780ti in SLI, and only use SSDs. I never actually looked up the minimum specs for HEX but I assumed my system would be able to handle it. I've never had this issue in any of my HEX games before.

In good news they refunded my entry fee, and I'll just have to try harder during sealed to get those AA cards!

The patch notes look interesting but 2 of the known issues seem pretty huge to me:

Those 2 things are pretty fundamental to conveying information to players when stuff happens. Hopefully it doesn't confuse any new players too much.

Also didn't see any mention of higher resolutions or a borderless windowed mode. :bahgawd:

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Can't wait to try out the new AI/UI. I've also got friends that refused to play until trading was in, so hopefully this will reinvigorate them towards the game.

Rylek posted:

The patch notes look interesting but 2 of the known issues seem pretty huge to me:

Those 2 things are pretty fundamental to conveying information to players when stuff happens. Hopefully it doesn't confuse any new players too much.

The no-shake definitely is a problem, but the attacking thing is probably not going to be an issue due to the gigantic red lines that point to the person being attacked.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Can anyone log in with the new client? I'm getting a "duplicate log in" message that is scarring me a lot.

Nevermind, apparently this is a known issue

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Woo, the client is laggy right now.

I also seem to be missing a VIP AA. I only have 1 of each, when I should have 2.

Mr. Otorp
Apr 23, 2006
Its not everyday that one's beliefs are tested. Nope, that happens on Tuesdays. Ye-hup, Tuesdays.
According to the Hex Forums "The connection between the server and client is currently down and our engineers are investigating" is the reason I got a "Not_Connected" message when trying to log in. It also may have explained some lag issues.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Am I missing something, or is there actually no way to quit the new client from the login screen?

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Zurai posted:

Am I missing something, or is there actually no way to quit the new client from the login screen?

Its a 'known issue' :allears:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok I'm not really a fan of the new UI so far. There seems to be a huge bug where I constantly advance phases when I don't intend to -- I guess it's clicking the button through my displayed cards? I also really don't like the fan presentation -- square and even was a lot easier to deal with.

All in all it just seems very busy and screen-filling and all the graphics are LOLHUGE.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

mightygerm posted:

Its a 'known issue' :allears:

Makes you wonder what the gently caress took so long and why poo poo like this wasn't caught in QA 45 seconds after the first build was tested.

Mr. Otorp
Apr 23, 2006
Its not everyday that one's beliefs are tested. Nope, that happens on Tuesdays. Ye-hup, Tuesdays.
Yeah, I think the fanning of the cards is really unnecessary. I also really don't like the decision to put Resources on the right side since they overlap your right-most card a lot of the time; It also doesn't make sense since all other important information is on the left with the Champion Portraits. Since we now see our opponent's hand, why do we need the card counter? They should move the Resources to that spot and also move the Threshold Counters back to the left where there was more room.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

The year of VIP for 4800 plat is up. Super highly recommended.

Or it would be up, if they didn't take it down for a bit. But it should be up!

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Is the VIP worth it even if I don't expect to play in many of the tournaments? It's basically a year of 1 pack per week right? So 52 packs that would normally cost 10,400 plat (let's say 7,800 plat if bought through the AH at 150/pack) for 4,800 plat. I also assume that when set 2 comes out you'll get a set 2 pack every week rather than set 1. Yeah that seems worth it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Go RV! posted:

The year of VIP for 4800 plat is up. Super highly recommended.

Or it would be up, if they didn't take it down for a bit. But it should be up!

How long will it be up for?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

They said it'd be up for a week, but they also said they'd tell us before it became available.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Anyone want to buy some Brosi Buk mercenary cards? I'll sell them for 2500 plat or $20 paypal.

You can't auction house them (not sure if you can mail them, haven't been home to test) so I'd have to send you the code and you'd have to redeem them.

I want to get in on this VIP without spending money :)

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Find that Portensio somewhere and I can hook you up :cheeky:

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Welp...full screen no longer functions on my machine. It's just a black field.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
re-installed again and I still can't log in- woohoo!

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.

Rylek posted:

Also didn't see any mention of higher resolutions or a borderless windowed mode. :bahgawd:

I exclusively play in a borderless windowed mode. Just press alt + enter and select the resolution you want.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Is it just me or is the AI a -lot- slower than usual? Doesn't seem that much smarter either since the AI just tossed it's burns when it had full mana instead of stopping the assault against it.

Edit: And the AI attacked with their concubunny. Regularly. Haven't seen it use it's ability yet.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Positive: AI Poca now summons her elemental in her first main phase.

Negative: She'll still do it even if she doesn't plan to attack with it.

• Locked thread