Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hey guys, it's my first time in this thread and I'm kind of a novice when it comes to pedals so please be gentle.

My rig is a Gibson Melody Maker (1 single coil pickup) through a Peavey Classic 50 4x10. I've had a DS-1 for a while that I've been generally happy with, but it can get a bit muddy and I was thinking of switching to an overdrive - ideally something that can get just as loud and dirty but maintain the note definitions a little bit more.

The options I'm looking at are:

MXR Classic Overdrive ($40 on Craigslist)
Boss SD-1 ($40 from local music shop)

How do people feel about these pedals? Good buys at that price? Should I save up more and get something like a Tube Screamer or Wasabi Overdrive (for $90, the guy with the MXR also has an OCD fulltone; I don't wanna spend that much but if someone here has wildly positive things to say about it maybe I could be convinced)? Should I just stick with my DS-1 and play around with the settings more?

Subquestion: should I run this through my clean channel or lead channel?

Style of music is punk/hardcore/post-hardcore/indie. Thanks in advance.

I can vouch for the Wasabi overdrive being total crap. It has four different voicings, and all of them sound awful. I've heard good things about the SD-1 as a low-gain, always on kind of overdrive.

For that kind of money, though, look into the Danelectro Daddy-o overdrive. You can get get a used one on eBay for around $30, and they sounds surprisingly great. I've heard good things about Joyo's stuff, too, if you're okay with cheaply made Chinese stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I've been really happy with my SD-1 with the C6 mod. It's the easiest thing in the world. There are pictures out there that show which capacitor to cut. I yanked mine out with needlenose pliers, and it really opens it up and takes a lot of the digital edge off.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Hey guys, it's my first time in this thread and I'm kind of a novice when it comes to pedals so please be gentle.

My rig is a Gibson Melody Maker (1 single coil pickup) through a Peavey Classic 50 4x10. I've had a DS-1 for a while that I've been generally happy with, but it can get a bit muddy and I was thinking of switching to an overdrive - ideally something that can get just as loud and dirty but maintain the note definitions a little bit more.

How do people feel about these pedals? Good buys at that price? Should I save up more and get something like a Tube Screamer or Wasabi Overdrive (for $90, the guy with the MXR also has an OCD fulltone; I don't wanna spend that much but if someone here has wildly positive things to say about it maybe I could be convinced)? Should I just stick with my DS-1 and play around with the settings more?

I'd recommend going Joyo or Biyang. I don't really like using TS-style overdrives for post-hardcore since it really narrows your freqency range, but if you did go that route I'd suggest a Biyang OD-8 or OD-10 (popular, cheap, uses the JRC4558 chip). I've also been super into RATs lately. I'd go into the clean channel unless you were going for a cascading, compressed tone. You could also try an LPB-1 and see if you like driving your amp that way.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

Noise Machine posted:

Yeah, my guess is that somewhere along the line something is not summing correctly. If your amp doesn't have an effects loop than an ABY box is probably your best bet.

I figured out what to do. I need something like this

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MosquiteBlend

Or I'll more likely go with the diy route
http://seanm.ca/stomp/bblender.html

Would be a very cool setup. I might throw in a delay pedal in the effects loop to because it would be sweet to bring it in with a volume pedal.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Boss SD1 is basically a tube screamer with asymettric clipping.

If you can find it I'd recommend Hardwire CM2, another TS clone but with an eq and running at 15v internally, and can be had for cheap. I just picked one up and its great.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Smash it Smash hit posted:

OCD is by far the best of those. Haven't heard the mxr but their stuff is usually solid. If you don't like the DS1 I wouldn't advise the SD1.

Honestly id get the OCD sure it's probably about twice the price but in a month you won't feel the extra money hit and you will have a very solid pedal

This is pretty much the perfect way to get me to spend money so this is what I ended up doing. Haven't played around with it too much yet, but I definitely like it more than my DS1

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is pretty much the perfect way to get me to spend money so this is what I ended up doing. Haven't played around with it too much yet, but I definitely like it more than my DS1

don't worry, I do it to myself all the time

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
I hope this isn't blasphemy here, but I am looking to trade some of my standalone pedals in for a practical multi-effects unit. I'm in a weird New Music-y "classical" guitar trio, though we have been commissioning tons of pieces for electric guitars lately, so the "classical" moniker is up for debate.

Anyway, the other two guys use Line 6 M9s and love them, and I've been getting by on some piecemeal stuff (in no particular order):

Pigtronix Polysaturator (with a busted LED that I should fix...)
Ernie Ball VP jr volume pedal
iStomp
Jamman Stereo Looper
and a BYOC analog delay that I'm permanently borrowing from a friend

this stuff gets me by for a lot of things, but it lacks a lot of the flexibility of an all-in-one solution. We are often called to change effects quite drastically between movements of pieces, enough that the sheer amount of knob-memorizing is pretty annoying, especially on the Polysaturator.

I also don't need a looper as fancy as the Jamman, since we are only called to do pretty simple looping, which the M9 seems to do fine.

My current all-star in terms of flexibility is the istomp, but it's totally impractical onstage, especially as I can only use my old iPhone 4 for it now.

Tl;DR - what are some decent, cheap-ish multi-effects units that I could get? I want decent effects modeling, pre-sets, a tuner, and a looper.

I'd love to get one that travels well, since we are doing a bunch of touring via airplanes coming up. Something I could slap on a pedal board next to my volume pedal and an expression pedal would be ideal.

Is the M9 still any decent, or is there a new king in that price-range? I'd love to get away with only spending a couple/few hundred bux after selling the Jamman. I wish I could just get an Axe-FX, but $$$$...

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I need help troubleshooting a treble booster. It's true bypass, so when the pedal is off, sound passes through and everything is hunky dory. When I click it on, no sound at all. Dead silent. I already checked my cables, used three different power supplies and two different 9V batteries and it's definitely the pedal. My question is what might be causing this, and would I have to open up the pedal to figure it out?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

firebad57 posted:

I hope this isn't blasphemy here, but I am looking to trade some of my standalone pedals in for a practical multi-effects unit. I'm in a weird New Music-y "classical" guitar trio, though we have been commissioning tons of pieces for electric guitars lately, so the "classical" moniker is up for debate.

Anyway, the other two guys use Line 6 M9s and love them, and I've been getting by on some piecemeal stuff (in no particular order):

Pigtronix Polysaturator (with a busted LED that I should fix...)
Ernie Ball VP jr volume pedal
iStomp
Jamman Stereo Looper
and a BYOC analog delay that I'm permanently borrowing from a friend

this stuff gets me by for a lot of things, but it lacks a lot of the flexibility of an all-in-one solution. We are often called to change effects quite drastically between movements of pieces, enough that the sheer amount of knob-memorizing is pretty annoying, especially on the Polysaturator.

I also don't need a looper as fancy as the Jamman, since we are only called to do pretty simple looping, which the M9 seems to do fine.

My current all-star in terms of flexibility is the istomp, but it's totally impractical onstage, especially as I can only use my old iPhone 4 for it now.

Tl;DR - what are some decent, cheap-ish multi-effects units that I could get? I want decent effects modeling, pre-sets, a tuner, and a looper.

I'd love to get one that travels well, since we are doing a bunch of touring via airplanes coming up. Something I could slap on a pedal board next to my volume pedal and an expression pedal would be ideal.

Is the M9 still any decent, or is there a new king in that price-range? I'd love to get away with only spending a couple/few hundred bux after selling the Jamman. I wish I could just get an Axe-FX, but $$$$...

The M9/13 is still king when it comes to usability, Line 6 nailed it with that interface.

If you cant stretch to that, zoom G3.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
I have a slightly beat up g2 I can let go for cheap.

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008

massive spider posted:

The M9/13 is still king when it comes to usability, Line 6 nailed it with that interface.

If you cant stretch to that, zoom G3.

I'm more interested in getting the right thing than saving ~$100, for sure. Plus, I know a music shop owner who can get me a great price on an M9 (or M13, but that seems somewhat excessive).

The Guitar thread seems to have more enthusiasm for the Zoom G3/G5, though. Is there any noticeable difference in quality between the models on the Zooms and the Line6s? Are the Line6s THAT much more usable than the Zooms?

I mean, all things being equal, I guess I'd prefer to save money (duh), but I am definitely willing to spend a little bit more and get the better product. So:

Line6 M9 or Zoom G3 (or G3X or G5)?

firebad57 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 4, 2014

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

I need help troubleshooting a treble booster. It's true bypass, so when the pedal is off, sound passes through and everything is hunky dory. When I click it on, no sound at all. Dead silent. I already checked my cables, used three different power supplies and two different 9V batteries and it's definitely the pedal. My question is what might be causing this, and would I have to open up the pedal to figure it out?

Your going to need to pop it open. If your getting no sound I would go ahead and assume wiring to and from the actual circuit got loose or something so check that first. Second possibility is you somehow fried it but I doubt that since you said there is zero sound coming through at all but if it smells like burnt electronics when you open it that is probably what happened. If neither of the above is the case you should just go along the circuit and check the voltage after each part to figure out whats going on.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

firebad57 posted:

I'm more interested in getting the right thing than saving ~$100, for sure. Plus, I know a music shop owner who can get me a great price on an M9 (or M13, but that seems somewhat excessive).

The Guitar thread seems to have more enthusiasm for the Zoom G3/G5, though. Is there any noticeable difference in quality between the models on the Zooms and the Line6s? Are the Line6s THAT much more usable than the Zooms?

I mean, all things being equal, I guess I'd prefer to save money (duh), but I am definitely willing to spend a little bit more and get the better product. So:

Line6 M9 or Zoom G3 (or G3X or G5)?

Whether you prefer the effects is really a matter of personal taste really. And the interfaces on both are pretty similar the M series just have more buttons which is handy. Neither is poo poo I just personally like the M series.

I used to really like running the M13 in looper mode because you can still use the top row of buttons for effect changes for instance.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The M9/13 are just effects modelers (with a looper) correct? So if I plugged them directly into a mixer would that sound correct without an amp/amp modeler?

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
I can't for the life of me find the difference between the TC Electronics Alter Egox4 and the Flashback x4

I have no delay pedals yet and I plan on extensive looping. I know the loop is capped at 40 seconds but is the looping the same on both pedals?

I was thinking of getting the Alter Ego because it looks a bit better. Any real reasons I should choose one over the other? I've seen them within 50$ difference.

E: found it support.tcelectronic.com/entries/44573126-Flashback-Delay-Alter-Ego-Delay-What-are-the-differences-
I actually really dug the dynamic delay from what I heard in demo vids.
I still wouldn't mind personal input

philkop fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 6, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

net work error posted:

The M9/13 are just effects modelers (with a looper) correct? So if I plugged them directly into a mixer would that sound correct without an amp/amp modeler?

"Correct" is a matter of personal opinion but the M series don't feature amp or speaker modeling so no, they won't sound like a traditional guitar > effects > amp setup. That can be good or bad but if your job is to completely replace your rig then the M9 and M13 can't do it by themselves. That being said if you're really attached to the layout and don't mind dropping another 30 bucks or so...

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
selling a pedal for around $120 and though I should save it, I wanna invest in another pedal :unsmith:

any suggestions for pedals for around that price I should check out? right now I am looking at

jm>Caroline pedals Icarus>CP haymaker>Eqd dispatch master>CP kilobyte> V4

pedals I'm thinking about is EQD grand orbiter, organizer, the depths, sea machine and ehx B9.

if you have any insight on those that'd be rad. definitely open to any options around $100

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Smash it Smash hit posted:

selling a pedal for around $120 and though I should save it, I wanna invest in another pedal :unsmith:

any suggestions for pedals for around that price I should check out? right now I am looking at

jm>Caroline pedals Icarus>CP haymaker>Eqd dispatch master>CP kilobyte> V4

pedals I'm thinking about is EQD grand orbiter, organizer, the depths, sea machine and ehx B9.

if you have any insight on those that'd be rad. definitely open to any options around $100

I'm not crazy about modulation stuff.

I've always wanted to try the ehx soul food. I think it's a tube screamer clone of some sorts.

E: ditto looper if you don't have one

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

philkop posted:

I'm not crazy about modulation stuff.

I've always wanted to try the ehx soul food. I think it's a tube screamer clone of some sorts.

E: ditto looper if you don't have one

I have all the drive I need(want) at the moment. May consider a ditto looper, either that or the freeze.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Anyone intimately familiar with the Devi Ever Bit? I grabbed a new one last week and I'm kinda bummed to find it's not nearly as wooly as the videos/sound clips I've found. It's just splatty and weirdly responsive, kinda like it was tuned for bass or something. I'd be interested to know whether the circuit changed recently.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

spider wisdom posted:

I'm kinda bummed to find it's not nearly as wooly as the videos/sound clips I've found. It's just splatty and weirdly responsive.

Sorry but this sounded like one of the best first world musician problems.

I'm bummed that I too many guitars and can't play them all enough :( (most I've come across for free and I've donated plenty of others as well.)

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

spider wisdom posted:

Anyone intimately familiar with the Devi Ever Bit? I grabbed a new one last week and I'm kinda bummed to find it's not nearly as wooly as the videos/sound clips I've found. It's just splatty and weirdly responsive, kinda like it was tuned for bass or something. I'd be interested to know whether the circuit changed recently.

Its always been kinda like that but if you want to know if the circuit has changed (like you bought a recently built one) email dwarfcraft devices because they are running the show now.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

philkop posted:

Sorry but this sounded like one of the best first world musician problems

Spend 5 minutes on The Gear Page and then we can talk first world musician problems.

Stravinsky posted:

Its always been kinda like that but if you want to know if the circuit has changed (like you bought a recently built one) email dwarfcraft devices because they are running the show now.

Huh, interesting. I'll do that.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
yeah I feel your pain, I have never had a fuzz agree with me longer than an hour. I just fall out of love so quick when it comes to dirt boxes ( and girls ;(((( )

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've never turned the gain on my OD up past zero

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dirt can be very frustrating, I've been through so many pedals. Lately I've shifted back and forth on the Algal Bloom but right now I'm completely sold on it. Full tilt fuzz with complete note separation on huge chords, hell yes son. I've really figured that thing out. I'm thinking about getting a soul food sometime to stick in front of it but I'm not sure if I want that or an ocd.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Every amp or pedal I've used sounded pretty much the same when I play it. It's only when someone else uses my stuff that I can hear the differences. So I just pick something that's low maintenance and call it a day.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

comes along bort posted:

Every amp or pedal I've used sounded pretty much the same when I play it. It's only when someone else uses my stuff that I can hear the differences. So I just pick something that's low maintenance and call it a day.

Exactly, tone is in the fingers. Pedals are fun gloves to wear sometimes.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

philkop posted:

Exactly, tone is in the fingers.
Eh, STYLE is in the fingers. My friends can spot me in a mix within a few seconds of me playing, but my tone can vary pretty drastically from track to track.
If a lot of different amps sound the same when you play through them, take a look at your settings. Drop the gain. Change the EQ, make them BE different amps. I can make most of mine sound the same, but I don't because amps generally have different voices that you have to learn to exploit properly.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Kilometers Davis posted:

Dirt can be very frustrating, I've been through so many pedals. Lately I've shifted back and forth on the Algal Bloom but right now I'm completely sold on it. Full tilt fuzz with complete note separation on huge chords, hell yes son. I've really figured that thing out. I'm thinking about getting a soul food sometime to stick in front of it but I'm not sure if I want that or an ocd.

+1 for the Algal Bloom. It requires tweaking but it's crazy good sounding when you get it dialed in.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

HollisBrown posted:

+1 for the Algal Bloom. It requires tweaking but it's crazy good sounding when you get it dialed in.

I think you're the one who rec'd it, thanks again man. The weird thing about it is that it definitely takes a lot of dedication to learn but then you realize there are very few bad sounds to get out of it. I've been using it for strange spaghetti western fuzz tones with P90s and the way it sits over a dark mix is something special. It's lively, organic, responds to dynamics perfectly and can absolutely tear the ceiling off if you want it to.

I was so close to selling it (sorry you know who <333333) and I'm glad I held onto it and wrangled it in. Might be a keeper for a long time.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of finally getting my pedalboard situation under control. Currently have a Pedaltrain mini with poo poo turned every which way to get it to fit & have to switch things out too much, so I'll probably be upgrading to the PT1 or similar.

-Power supplies: Voodoo Lab? Cioks? Something else? I will probably never have any more than 6-7 powered pedals on my board at any given time (famous last words, I know). It would be nice to have an 18v option in case I ever get a nicer bass compressor or something that could utilize it.

-Cables: I have the soldering ability to make my own. What's a good source for cable & jacks?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

The Bunk posted:

-Power supplies: Voodoo Lab? Cioks? Something else? I will probably never have any more than 6-7 powered pedals on my board at any given time (famous last words, I know). It would be nice to have an 18v option in case I ever get a nicer bass compressor or something that could utilize it.

-Cables: I have the soldering ability to make my own. What's a good source for cable & jacks?
I've always been fond of the Voodoo supplies. Strong, reliable, mounts on boards easily. Great customer support if needed (never needed it for their PS but for other stuff). You said you can solder, so it's dead simple to fab up an 18v cable using two of their outlets (I think #5 & #6 off the top of my head) in either series or parallel (gently caress I forget).

Basically, take two cables. You have the positive and negative wires. Solder the positive from cable #1 to the negative lead from cable #2. You will then use the negative lead from cable #1 and the positive lead from cable #2 to power your pedal (pay attention to the polarity here please). It's dead simple.

I usually pick up most of my parts from Redco, there are probably cheaper options by a bit, but I rarely have to split my order with them.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
So EHX has this thing now:

http://www.ehx.com/products/pitch-fork

A pitch-shifter/octave/wonderment pedal.

I've come down with a bad case of wanting like every weird new pedal EHX comes out with (still saving up for the B9 Organ Machine)

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Between that EHX pitchfork and the new Way Huge transparent drive (the Saucy Box, apparently NOT a klone), my pedal list is kind of exploding recently.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I seriously think I need that Pitch Fork :stare::fh:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My EHX Voice Box arrived today but doesn't seem to have a 9V battery plug. Will any wired 9V AC adapter do? Gonna head to radio shack later today

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Make sure it's got the right polarity. Most pedals are tip-negative, including all the EHX stuff I know of, but there's boatloads of other things out there that use tip-positive.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarity_symbols

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Cool thanks. Learning!