Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

really you didn't think to go with "crea-p"

come on man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i actually did consider that but it looked too similar to 'creep' so i passed

also lmao remember when you said you didn't like caveman tool usage in starbound and people furiously beat off in your general direction about how it was the way it was for a reason. those were the days.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Move this thread to the imp zone.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Sadly, this is not a just world.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

None of this matters because Starbound alrady hit its peak.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAk73l8MKFo

Sorry, you can never get better than that.

Chess and mate...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRnqs_N6kn0

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Watching two morons argue about a dead video game has been more fun than the game itself! Thanks anime avatar and unfunny frog!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

Watching two morons argue about a dead video game has been more fun than the game itself! Thanks anime avatar and unfunny frog!

No problem, posting super-star Nessy. Thanks for another valuable contribution to the thread!

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Literally Kermit posted:

No problem, posting super-star Nessy. Thanks for another valuable contribution to the thread!

Sorry didn't have time to make a lovely tapestry comics from SA circa 2001

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
vvv Edit: What he said. I didn't make those comics, and I am done slap fighting with people in here, in general.

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 28, 2014

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

Sorry didn't have time to make a lovely tapestry comics from SA circa 2001

That would've been a sick burn if he'd made the comics

Not being sarcastic here I really wish he'd made the comics so there could've been a sick burn instead of non-stop infinite slapfight

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I am fine with putting this game on the shelf for a while and watching development. I don't mind people complaining, because I like to think the argument over the mining poo poo is what made ChuckleFish change the Matter Manipulator. That big ol' list of (valid) gripes someone posted is good. Game is in development. Things can be changed. We should let Tiy and Supernorn and the bunch know what we think of the game while the game is changing. Even if something was put in then taken out, I think it's still important to voice an opinion over it. It's just, like, y'know.... WHATEVER, MAN.

What's lovely is the wording of the complaints, the long-overdone jokes of the game being dead, and people piling on Devour or Fire and Kermit and others. But really, anyone who has ever posted in this thread, myself included, should be permabanned from the forums for being a lovely poster, so I can overlook that.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

If anyone wants to abandon this dead game that's stagnated without updates. Crea has released it's 0.9 version, it looks like it has everything Starbound did but does it a lot better. (Especially if you remember DoF's combat gif.)

quote:

The monsters in the game scale to your level, rather than being procedural. A low level character will always encounter lower level monsters and vice versa no matter where in the world they happen to be.

Yep, really seems like

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

crea is crap-a

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dead Island is the only game that has ever done that style of Monster Scaling correctly.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

anyone who was impressed by that combat gif has really low standards because all it had going for it was a dodge roll and some not-poo poo spritework

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

anyone who was impressed by that combat gif has really low standards because all it had going for it was a dodge roll and some not-poo poo spritework

Smash Brothers is the only 2D melee game I've ever really liked, and now that I'm thinking about it that would be a pretty good system for a Metrerrariaoidvainia game. Not the 'knock them away' aspect, the 'chain lots of attacks by being aggressive and dodgy and floaty' aspect.

Which, now that I think about it, is Terraria lategame via wings and magic. Oh well.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Babe Magnet posted:

Dead Island is the only game that has ever done that style of Monster Scaling correctly.

It's a shame they did everything else wrong. Heyooo

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dead Island did a lot of things. Most of them not very good. But they got combat down really well. If anyone needs to know what "weighty" and "impactful" combat really is, play Dead Island.

And use Sam B and use the biggest weapons you can find.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I just wanna work on my mods again. The update is gonna break EVERYTHING.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Babe Magnet posted:

Dead Island did a lot of things. Most of them not very good. But they got combat down really well. If anyone needs to know what "weighty" and "impactful" combat really is, play Dead Island.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLadZotBuE

mods did it better

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Babe Magnet posted:

And use Sam B and use the biggest weapons you can find.

Dark Messiah did it better (also best first person spells).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Dark Messiah was also really good. Kicking dudes off of cliffs and ledges never got old.

My favorite thing about this is, the developers of the game loved this mod so much they made a playable character based around it in Riptide.

Shoehead posted:

I just wanna work on my mods again. The update is gonna break EVERYTHING.

Same here, it's what I'm mostly looking forward to in regards to the new update. There was a blog post detailing the changes, but I'm afraid to start converting stuff over in case they change how mods work AGAIN.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
I'm glad that they've put such a focus on mods. It sucks to find out something you want to do is not possible - there are a few things like this in the current stable system with loot, spawn controls, ect. All thats being changed thankfully

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Evilreaver posted:

Smash Brothers is the only 2D melee game I've ever really liked, and now that I'm thinking about it that would be a pretty good system for a Metrerrariaoidvainia game. Not the 'knock them away' aspect, the 'chain lots of attacks by being aggressive and dodgy and floaty' aspect.

Which, now that I think about it, is Terraria lategame via wings and magic. Oh well.

Have you tried Guacamelee?

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Devour or Fire posted:

Chucklefish isn't hiring new programmers because it would take 6 months to teach them about starbound's spaghetti code.

"well you see, he makes a midrange software engineer's salary. As somebody with no marketable skills, this upsets me because I"

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
http://playstarbound.com/september-29th-using-protection/

metadept posted:

Today I’ve been implementing a block protection system, so that we can have special dungeons and missions where you can’t place blocks or break through walls until deactivating a Shield Generator somewhere inside. The way this works is: each tile in the world has a ‘dungeon ID,’ which is a bit of a misnomer since it’s also used to specify tiles that have no dungeon, tiles modified by the player, and a couple of other things. Specific dungeon IDs will be protected for a given world, in a list that can be modified from server side Lua scripts or by using an admin command. I’m sure people will find interesting uses for the system beyond its original purpose, like building a planet with tests of skill and then enabling protection to make them a challenge for other players to overcome. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Glad to see they're finally working on this, dungeons (including player-made ones) could be a really cool addition for the game if they're done well. Interesting to see they're also storing info for all player-modified tiles - I hope that's not too much data to handle.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I tried out the new MM upgrade system on the nightlies. It needs balancing, but it is pretty cool. You start out with a 1x1 beam, which I am sure people will love and totally support, but it doesn't take long to get it to a 2x2 that mines about as well as a gold pick. If there's a hotkey to switch to the MM (which now has a dedicated slot on your toolbar) I haven't found it yet, and if there isn't, there needs to be, fast.

The outpost "planet" is neat, and I am going to build the best embassy/cool kids club on it.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

XboxPants posted:

http://playstarbound.com/september-29th-using-protection/

Glad to see they're finally working on this, dungeons (including player-made ones) could be a really cool addition for the game if they're done well. Interesting to see they're also storing info for all player-modified tiles - I hope that's not too much data to handle.

Does this mean I'm going to have to learn to do the apex lab jumping puzzles? I am going to die so goddamn much.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Literally Kermit posted:

I tried out the new MM upgrade system on the nightlies. It needs balancing, but it is pretty cool. You start out with a 1x1 beam, which I am sure people will love and totally support, but it doesn't take long to get it to a 2x2 that mines about as well as a gold pick. If there's a hotkey to switch to the MM (which now has a dedicated slot on your toolbar) I haven't found it yet, and if there isn't, there needs to be, fast.

I think it's 'r'. How do you upgrade it, is it basically ores and simple stuff you find naturally like that?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

graynull posted:

Does this mean I'm going to have to learn to do the apex lab jumping puzzles? I am going to die so goddamn much.

I certainly hope they let you reset your beam in point for this, as yeah if you can't even break the electric wire those are a a bitch.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

XboxPants posted:

I think it's 'r'. How do you upgrade it, is it basically ores and simple stuff you find naturally like that?

Same as the normal pick progression - 8 copper bars makes it 2x2, 8 silver bars boosts power, I think 8 gold bars makes it so it can move liquids, and platnium boosts it up again. I didn't get as far to smelt diamond ore into diamonds (lol), but so on, and so on. It's not pathetically slow like the MM used to be, even at the silver stage, so I didn't miss the 3x3 as much. I didn't get that far to see the later upgrades, but presumably it makes it mine more and mine faster.

Stone picks still work fine, but at the moment they are tinkering with picks to make them more like temporary boosts, so they break (forever) incredibly fast now, and ore didn't repair them. This could just be a friendly dev nudge for us to use the MM as our primary tool now, so they can balance it.

I could see picks being repairable but degrading much faster than they do now being an okay mechanic. It's like how the gold pick in minecraft mines hard blocks fast, but can only mine 50 times before breaking. By the time picks become cheap to make, though, the MM is upgraded to the point where even 2x2 field cuts through dirt in moments.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Blhue posted:

I certainly hope they let you reset your beam in point for this, as yeah if you can't even break the electric wire those are a a bitch.

I do wish this game had better platforming. It's not terrible but it could definitely be better. Someone mentioned Smash Bros at one point as game that actually nailed "combat-platforming" pretty well - it's super floaty and weird, but oddly it works. Or, you know what, I'd actually prefer if they just took all/almost all of the momentum out of the jump, more like a Super Metroid physics model.

I wonder if they're still open to tweaking the feel of the jumping at all.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how the dungeons actually feel with the new system in place, and vocally let CF know if they need reworking to be fun dungeons to solve with Starbound's current platforming style. I'm sure the dungeons would be a lot easier to re-arrange than the player physics.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

boo_radley posted:

"well you see, he makes a midrange software engineer's salary. As somebody with no marketable skills, this upsets me because I"

That's in a month though. The picture is still dumb

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

RentACop posted:

That's in a month though. The picture is still dumb

You're right but I'll always care not even a little bit about Gaming Celebrity Gossip.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

XboxPants posted:

You're right but I'll always care not even a little bit about Gaming Celebrity Gossip.

i've got some .jpgs of three year old tweets marked up with redtext that will rock your world

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad people would rather make rude remarks about the image I posted instead of talking about the new mechanic they're finally implementing that will make the horrible slippery single-tile platforming come to light, or the two previous updates that nobody gave a poo poo about where your spaceman covers himself in mud and sleeps on grass like survivorman.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Literally Kermit posted:

The outpost "planet" is neat, and I am going to build the best embassy/cool kids club on it.

Press T, for Tools, then scroll with the mouse wheel.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Honestly, one of my biggest problems in the whole game is just how slow digging is, so all the mining/MM changes sound pretty good. Platforming needs some work, as mentioned, but as a core mechanic slow mining was always a huge pain. Glad to see it's finally looking like it's on the way out.

Devour or Fire posted:

I'm glad people would rather make rude remarks about the image I posted instead of talking about the new mechanic they're finally implementing that will make the horrible slippery single-tile platforming come to light, or the two previous updates that nobody gave a poo poo about where your spaceman covers himself in mud and sleeps on grass like survivorman.
What are you talking about? Almost all the recent posts have been about the game and the changes that are being made or still need to be made, or about basic mechanics, or platforming, which you just mentioned people weren't talking about. Out of dozens only like two people were actually commenting on that picture, and neither of them were even particularly rude.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mining is laborious and boring. That mining pack put together by some talented goon or other that had awesome stuff like a 6-tile-high mining laser, vertical blasting charges and dynamite packs is a godsend.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Vib Rib posted:

Out of dozens

Ahhaha multiple dozens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

CitrusFrog posted:

Mining is laborious and boring. That mining pack put together by some talented goon or other that had awesome stuff like a 6-tile-high mining laser, vertical blasting charges and dynamite packs is a godsend.

Starbound could use one of these: http://fat.gfycat.com/ColorlessMarriedHarrierhawk.mp4

• Locked thread