Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Has anyone tested if vessel shield boosts spell damage? The text seems to hint at it but can't try it out myself yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I am enjoying my Ice Rapier. Pew pew, motherfucker :allears:

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Do I need to kill these weird sitting people I've found around the beginning of the level? I haven't yet because a sign said "try rescue" but I'm not sure now

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
No point killing them. They'll start annoying you later.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

That loving invader just appeared behind me again. I hate that guy.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

MooCowlian posted:

That loving invader just appeared behind me again. I hate that guy.

Which one? The knight? He uses chameleon to disguise himself as a barrel, why do you think there are so many barrels in that area?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Jesus Christ he just killed me in one hit too.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

FrickenMoron posted:

Which one? The knight? He uses chameleon to disguise himself as a barrel, why do you think there are so many barrels in that area?

He's an rear end in a top hat. All I want is whatever's in the chest.

edit: that was disappointing. I want a laser gun.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 30, 2014

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Dunno, I figured the gimmick when I saw the environment. Parry/riposted him to death. Target shield 4 lyfe.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Assume your iframes start right at the beginning of your roll (even though it feels to me like they start like 1 frame after -- I'm probably wrong though), so press the roll button at the last possible instant. As you improve your Agility (you do this by putting points into ADP, most of the time one point in ADP will get you one point in AGL but sometimes you have to put in two points of ADP to get agility to increase) you will get more iframes tacked on to the initial ones. You start at 8. If you get up to 100 AGL (usually 20-some ADP to get there) you will have 12 frames, which is like a 70% improvement and will make dodging a LOT easier and get you out of hard to dodge attacks (horizontal sweeps and overhead smashes) much more reliably. The roll is 25 frames total so if you're at 12 you're invincible for the whole first half of your roll.

The distance you roll depends on how much of your equip load you're using. If you're below 50% you roll almost as far as you would at 0%. If you go over 50% your roll distance gets a lot shorter. You keep your iframes but being able to move back with your rolls (or behind in PVP) is as useful as the iframes themselves. Try to stay under 50% unless you have a huge fuckoff shield equipped. More details here

Most weapons in a class have similar movesets with mild variation. The Longsword has diagonal R1s with good tracking and R2s have slightly delayed horizontal sweeps that hit almost all the way around you -- in two hands it has quick horizontal sweeps with the R1 and extremely effective stabs with R2. The rolling attack is a very fast stab, the running attack is a very fast sweep. The Sun Sword has identical moves except all the R2s are stabs which is great for PVE and not ideal for PVP (in my opinion). There are lots of videos on Youtube showing you the different movesets, most weapons in a class differ from eachother on only one or two of the 1H(R1/R2) 2H(R1/R2) Run/Roll move selection, sometimes the first R1 is the same but the second is different or the order is swapped, the variations are small but when you have six basic moves one or two different ones that you like can really enamor you of one weapon over another. Always choose your weapon based on the moveset you like -- there are only a few dud weapons in the game that can't be made functional damage-wise in one way or another.

The following videos show you the movesets of almost all of the weapons, with links to each individual weapon in the poster's comment section.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkyIrzSxSJPXwnut5irEcw/videos (The ones you want are the first ones he posted chronologically, so the ones on the bottom of the page -- just click Show More a couple of times to see them)

For less formal / more feel type info Youtuber MrIWont4Get has good "feature" videos for a lot of the weapons that people are generally interested in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ku-XxGoc9c&list=PLi4wOT-O4CYVPeemNh4kfP81TlyiDAe_Y

The Souls games have always been balanced on and centered around melee. If you haven't tried it out yet you're in for a real eye opening experience.

:bravo:

Thanks for the writeup.

Now I have a bug question, I think. The only NPC who has moved is the lady from Heide tower who opens up Hunters Copse. Majula is otherwise as empty as it was when I started. I have killed the two bosses each in Fallen Giants and Heide Tower and just cleared the flexile sentry in the wharf, and the cartographer has disappeared and so has the dude who sells you sorceries in the wharf now, I can't find them anywhere. I killed pate earlier (I thought he was an enemy or something, I don't remember) and I'm wondering if killing an NPC makes them stop moving and I just screwed my game or if it's a bug or what.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

TheSpiritFox posted:

:bravo:

Thanks for the writeup.

Now I have a bug question, I think. The only NPC who has moved is the lady from Heide tower who opens up Hunters Copse. Majula is otherwise as empty as it was when I started. I have killed the two bosses each in Fallen Giants and Heide Tower and just cleared the flexile sentry in the wharf, and the cartographer has disappeared and so has the dude who sells you sorceries in the wharf now, I can't find them anywhere. I killed pate earlier (I thought he was an enemy or something, I don't remember) and I'm wondering if killing an NPC makes them stop moving and I just screwed my game or if it's a bug or what.

Check the basement of the mansion for the cartographer, and are you sure Carillhion (w/e his name is) isn't in Majula? He's kind of in a hard to notice spot, next to the sea cliff not far from the Obelisk.

But yes, killing an NPC would disappear them (except special NPCs that may reappear later), Pate is one of them. Though you wouldn't see him in Majula either.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Possible majula npc's and how to get them:
Merchant hag: just find her and exaust her dialogue. Fallen giants 2nd bonfire.
Stone trader: find her in harvest valley and talk to her till she is done.
Rosabeth(?): use the branch, give her clothes and talk to her after opening the gate. Shell be near benhart.
Chart dude: find him, get his key, clear his basement and reload the area. Hell be in his basement.
Shady priest lady: find and talk in heide's.
Laddersmith: either find him or not, and beat the poison queen in earthen peak.
Wizard dude: have enough intellect for his liking (10 iirc) and talk to him till he says you are his student. I think flexile sentry also needs to be dead. Hell be near a tree between the blacksmith and pyromancer lady.
Emerald herald: bearer...seek...seek...lest...

Sorry for any spelling errors, on my phone.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Daynab posted:

Check the basement of the mansion for the cartographer, and are you sure Carillhion (w/e his name is) isn't in Majula? He's kind of in a hard to notice spot, next to the sea cliff not far from the Obelisk.

But yes, killing an NPC would disappear them (except special NPCs that may reappear later), Pate is one of them. Though you wouldn't see him in Majula either.

Yeah, I did, the basement is empty. I cleared out the Forrest of Fallen Giants completely ages ago and he's not there. Likewise, the hag by the 2nd bonfire has repeated herself ad nauseum and she still has not left that bonfire.

Is it possible that clearing bosses and finding NPCs in the wrong order might screw things up? I kind of didn't know what I was doing and ran into Heides tower as a sorcerer straight from the tutorial area and had a trial by fire learning to kill the giant dudes there with 30 soul arrows and a dagger. The Dragonrider dude with the shield was the first boss I beat and then I got the lady who opens the path to Hunters Copse, and since she moved and I opened hunters copse no other NPCs have shown their face in Majula. I didn't even set foot in the forrest of fallen giants until after I did that (because I didn't know where it was or even that it existed)

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

I doubt it, I've done the same sequence you did on some of my characters and never had that issue.
Dunno what's going on :shrug:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Nah that shouldn't matter. I've done majula> heide> iron keep> wharf> bastille> merchant hag > the rest and npc's where fine.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
From, having noticed that nobody wants to fight their latest, complete trash bosses has come up with a great gimmick of freezing all the chests till you fight the tedious boring boss.

gg

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The frozen chests have nothing to do with the lovely optional area.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Also taunting people with unobtainable items rules.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Yeah, I did, the basement is empty. I cleared out the Forrest of Fallen Giants completely ages ago and he's not there. Likewise, the hag by the 2nd bonfire has repeated herself ad nauseum and she still has not left that bonfire.

Is it possible that clearing bosses and finding NPCs in the wrong order might screw things up? I kind of didn't know what I was doing and ran into Heides tower as a sorcerer straight from the tutorial area and had a trial by fire learning to kill the giant dudes there with 30 soul arrows and a dagger. The Dragonrider dude with the shield was the first boss I beat and then I got the lady who opens the path to Hunters Copse, and since she moved and I opened hunters copse no other NPCs have shown their face in Majula. I didn't even set foot in the forrest of fallen giants until after I did that (because I didn't know where it was or even that it existed)

For your other NPCs just make sure you talk them out -- it sounds like you did this so maybe you do have a bug, however it doesn't really matter if they come back or not. Blue mopey guy won't give you a soul vessel but you get like seven of those in a playthrough or something. The only bothersome one is Carhillion if you want to buy something from him but don't want to deal with running through the loving Wharf again. He's sitting down in Majula too (lazy rude gobshite) on the left about halfway up the hill you climb from the bonfire up to the mopey blue guy.

BTW using a Pharros Lockstone in the Wharf is totally worth it. I do it every playthrough now -- the first one of course gets used under the balista room in Giant's so I can get a free slab. Bring some arrows or a stack of throwing knives if you don't want to deal with the reincarnated boogey men from Toe Jam and Earl.

raton fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 30, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

oh gently caress, the old bell

oh gently caress

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The wikis are saying that there's a hex in the new dlc somewhere, Dark Dance. Has anyone seen it? It might be what that one invader is using.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

The wikis are saying that there's a hex in the new dlc somewhere, Dark Dance. Has anyone seen it? It might be what that one invader is using.

After the second bonfire, just before the first stairs theres a side passage that will lead to a upper area on the previous area. Follow that and it should lead to an area with two monks and the spell.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Iretep posted:

After the second bonfire, just before the first stairs theres a side passage that will lead to a upper area on the previous area. Follow that and it should lead to an area with two monks and the spell.

Cool, thanks. It's easy to miss things in here!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Can you find the Catarina chest piece in this DLC or I will I never get it in any game ever?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
So I've never really found a weapon I've been super comfortable with in Dark Souls 2. I like the greatsword but it can awkward to use, rapiers are cool but boring, and maces are great for damage output but the moveset kinda sucks. Then I decided to actually try the murakumo. HOLY poo poo, IT OWNS SO HARD.

I kept getting my rear end handed to me in the 3 NPC boss fight in the first DLC, but I just went there with my new +10 dark murakumo and loving wrecked them so hard it was kind of a joke.

That's the end of my murakumo story hope you lieked it.

Anyways, few questions: Anyone know how to get the last bonfire in the last DLC? Is it just an illusory wall or is there a whole area I'm missing?

Is there a smelter demon area in this DLC like the other 2?

Is there anything else outside of the DLC areas that was added?

Is there anything special about the crowns apart from looking kinda boss?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

cat doter posted:

So I've never really found a weapon I've been super comfortable with in Dark Souls 2. I like the greatsword but it can awkward to use, rapiers are cool but boring, and maces are great for damage output but the moveset kinda sucks. Then I decided to actually try the murakumo. HOLY poo poo, IT OWNS SO HARD.

I kept getting my rear end handed to me in the 3 NPC boss fight in the first DLC, but I just went there with my new +10 dark murakumo and loving wrecked them so hard it was kind of a joke.

That's the end of my murakumo story hope you lieked it.

Anyways, few questions: Anyone know how to get the last bonfire in the last DLC? Is it just an illusory wall or is there a whole area I'm missing?

Is there a smelter demon area in this DLC like the other 2?

Is there anything else outside of the DLC areas that was added?

Is there anything special about the crowns apart from looking kinda boss?

King's/Sunken messes with your stats, Iron gives you spell regen, Ivory apparently gives you health regen, but if you have all 4 you no longer go hollow when wearing Ivory.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Wait, there's 4 crowns? What's the 4th one?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bigass Moth posted:

Can you find the Catarina chest piece in this DLC or I will I never get it in any game ever?

You can become the onion now without grinding invaders, yes.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

cat doter posted:

Wait, there's 4 crowns? What's the 4th one?

King's crown for killing Vendrick, Sunken for killing Sinh, Iron for killing the Fume Knight, Ivory for completing the Ivory DLC.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Flytrap posted:

King's/Sunken messes with your stats, Iron gives you spell regen, Ivory apparently gives you health regen, but if you have all 4 you no longer go hollow when wearing Ivory.

Any crown will have the not going hollow effect.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Flytrap posted:

King's crown for killing Vendrick, Sunken for killing Sinh, Iron for killing the Fume Knight, Ivory for completing the Ivory DLC.

Yeah I figured it might've been Vendrick's crown, I was worried killing him might make me miss something.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Oh my loving god. The symbol of avarice.

I'm never taking this off.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Wait, so I have the Sunken/Old Iron/Ivory crowns, but not Vendrick's one (all I have is something called the bone crown, that's not it is it?). I tried killing Vendrick in the memory thing but it just booted me out. I killed undead Vendrick prior to the DLC coming out, do I have to bonfire ascetic a new Vendrick or something?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

cat doter posted:

I killed undead Vendrick prior to the DLC coming out
That crown and rest of Vendrick's clothes are in the Shrine of Amana behind a door that will open after you killed undead Vendrick and you're human.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Hey so the douchebag assassin is back!! Joyous day!!!!!!!!!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

Hey so the douchebag assassin is back!! Joyous day!!!!!!!!!

Yeah it's fantastic. :allears:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'd pay for a dlc that puts him into every single area of the main game.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

That whole area is just a whole bunch of fun!!!!!!!!

I really like the Instakill spiked ice rabbit things I mean contact damage is just so cool and not casual.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

I'd pay for a dlc that puts him into every single area of the main game.

I'd pay for a DLC that lets me join a covenant that puts him in every area of other people's main games.

It'd be like gravelording only shittier, we could call it shitlording.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

I'd pay for a DLC that lets me join a covenant that puts him in every area of other people's main games.

It'd be like gravelording only shittier, we could call it shitlording.

Why are you so angry. Relax dude. :chillpill:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Why are you so angry. Relax dude. :chillpill:

What the gently caress you talkin' bout?

That idea is genius.